Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

I'm betting that after free agency and the draft, once teams look at their left tackles someone will give up a 2nd in 2021 or even 2022 thinking Trent will help get them to the playoffs. For instance, if Tampa Bay does get Brady I can see them going all in and backing up that signing by trading for Trent. This story has so many ways it can turn if the Skins just stay patient. Trent strung the team out for an entire season and is still doing so. Now it's the team's turn to make him hang in limbo. His agent really has his work cut out for him if he's gonna find a trade partner with appropriate compensation.

TW is under Skins control for (2) Two years, he has no leverage at all. Maybe we offer to not Franchise Tag him if he plays out his contract. If he plays like we know him to play he will get a great FA contract and we will be online to get a 3rd comp pick.

It’s a make good deal that will get him to unfettered free agency.

Just now, Riggodrill44 said:

TW is under Skins control for (2) Two years, he has no leverage at all. Maybe we offer to not Franchise Tag him if he plays out his contract. If he plays like we know him to play he will get a great FA contract and we will be online to get a 3rd comp pick.

It’s a make good deal that will get him to unfettered free agency.

He' under contract for one year.  Check out Google.

1 minute ago, Riggodrill44 said:

We can franchise tag him ... twice

We can but the FT has already been stated via F.O. and RR will be placed on Brandon S. if he doesn't sign a LTD.

Sheff is a free agent THIS year, TW is a free agent next year. We control him for 2 or 3 years, he has no leverage at all. He plays or he doesn’t get paid or toll his contract.

I asked this question once before but did we make any attempt to extend Trent's contract?

We can debate if he's worth 20m a season but I think we can all agree he's worth more than 12.5 in today's market.

I hope Rivera offered a "fair" (15-17m) counterproposal. 🤨

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I asked this question once before but did we make any attempt to extend Trent's contract?

We can debate if he's worth 20m a season but I think we can all agree he's worth more than 12.5 in today's market.

I hope Rivera offered a "fair" (15-17m) counterproposal. 🤨

He won’t take that. He wants firmly in the $18-20 million range which is way too much for us.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

He won’t take that. He wants firmly in the $18-20 million range which is way too much for us.

It may be too much for us but I'm not sure it SHOULD be.

Probably a minority opinion but I'd rather pay Trent his asking price than settle for a third rounder.

Trent's asking price might seem exorbitant but when you consider the cap is expected to rise, it really isn't.

I'd feel much more comfortable with Trent protecting Simba's blindside for the next few years.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

It may be too much for us but I'm not sure it SHOULD be.

Probably a minority opinion but I'd rather pay Trent his asking price than settle for a third rounder.

Trent's asking price might seem exorbitant but when you consider the cap is expected to rise, it really isn't.

I'd feel much more comfortable if Trent is protecting Simba's blindside for the next few years.

I’m sorry but he’s not worth all that money. He’s 32 and has a major injury history.

Dealing Trent for a 2nd right now would drive me mad. I’d happily let him sit on the roster through the draft and wait than trade him for a 2nd. 

The way I'd interpret those stories coupled with the local ones from NY and Cleveland, if said reports are correct

A.  Redskins seem to accept they won't get a 2nd rounder for him in all likelihood

B.  I'd guess plan B is accepting a third rounder and hopefully change -- and they seem resigned to that perhaps

C.  Trent's contract demands likely both lowers his trade value and makes a deal less likely because they don't want to pay him that much

D.  Trent now not playing a season plus has lowered his attractiveness as an asset because its added to the uncertainty about him

E.  Redskins likely deal him versus hold out if they can find a taker on Trent's contract demands and at least a third rounder is part of the deal

I am in the camp of I wouldn't trade him for a third rounder.  I would for two third rounders but by the sound of it that's unlikely.  Maybe a third and a 4th would do it for me.  As for a straight third, I'd make Trent come back.  Granted Bruce dealt this dumb hand that they are in on this now.  But Trent deserves IMO some blame too.  I personally don't think he's worth 20 million a year.  15 million-16 million, yes.  But I don't think with his age, uncertainty about his healthy, history of injuries, etc -- earns him the top of the market deal.  So if that's part of the sticking point with Trent as to his salary demands than he deserves to come back and lose the opportunity to go elsewhere at least for a season.

Judging by what some beat guys have said, they get the impression that Trent desperately wants to move on and get a fresh start and feels the Redskins don't value him the way the rest of the league.  Gives me the vibe that he's already checked out mentally from the Redskins.   If so, it sounds like he's having a rude awakening, at least thus far.  But my point is if the beat guys are right, Trent would hate coming back especially after putting himself out there like he has.  So eventually maybe he relents from his contract demands if it facilities a trade. 

Yeah.....I'm starting to feel petty about this. Keep his ass and make hime fulfill his contract whether he plays this year or not. Burn his ass until he is 33 then let him walk.

Need a new CBA for a team to be able to accommodate his contract in a feasible way, in my opinion. The restrictions from the current final CBA year won’t be helping on things like salary increase restrictions and the accounting of incentives.

New CBA, someone will give him the contract dollars, we’ll get fair trade compensation.

Plus, we will sign a vet tackle in FA irrespective of Trents status with us.

On 3/10/2020 at 7:08 PM, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

@Sean 3621 I dont think his agent will have much say on the COMP at all. WE negotiate the comp.

That wasn’t my understanding of we give him permission to seek a trade. Seems like Trent’s agent is in charge of finding the best deal he can find and we say yes or no.

Trent has zero guaranteed dollars remaining on his contract and very little leverage now.  If the Redskins don't trade him and he doesn't show up (with whatever justification he provides); he doesn't get paid.  I'm sure he would grieve not getting paid but nothing would be guaranteed.  If he sits out another year and becomes a free agent his next contract at his age would be significantly less.  From all accounts he wants to get paid so his current options are to lower his demands to help facilitate a trade or show up and play and get his $12.5 mill.  If he plays decently and stays healthy, he might have more options as a free agent next year.   I can't see any team paying him $18 mil based on his age and health history.  

Im not happy with how this has all gone down, but I haven't burnt any bridges.  If he would sign a realistic extension (with some guaranteed) and stay I would gladly take him back.  Healthy(?), he is definitely our best option at LT.  Trent has been one of the best Redskins over the last decade and he deserves the appropriate level of respect.  I wish this had transpired differently but I'd still like to see in starting on opening day.

• Thanks 1

Shouldn’t assume we’d automatically get a 3rd round comp pick either if he see’s out his contract. It would probably be offset an acquisition we made in free agency....