Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up


Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, justice98 said:

 

But no primary care doctor is gonna be an expert on everything.  They all have gaps in expertise.  That's why your primary care doctor refers you to a specialist.  I dont find that to be inherently a bad idea.  The team medical staff are still real doctors.  

 

But they didn't refer him to a specialist, did they? Maybe that's where the conflict of interest part comes in. Who knows. Maybe there's no fault anywhere, just a missed diagnosis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Interesting piece about his feelings related to teammates not visiting him in the hospital and how that may have contributed to his rationale of not reporting. Many were surprised, due to him being such a team first type of guy. 
 

Not just an issue with the team, but maybe his whole belief system related to football being like his family. Maybe his individual ties to his family have grown since.  

 

I wonder how many knew he was in the hospital for a cancer scare.

 

I feel like he was expecting everyone around him to know everything and I wonder if he communicated the stuff he wanted them to know as well as he did this offseason

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The NFL can investigate this this, they should. 

 

If Trent is telling the truth, it should be worse for ownership than anything he can imagine. 

 

If Trent is exaggerating or lying. That's pretty bad. 

 

The timeline of years and then being told weeks to live. Man, what do you say to that? Is that how this cancer goes? 

 

Why didn't he say something months ago? Other players being treated by this staff could be in danger. 

Edited by @SkinsGoldPants
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like the conversation went something like. “If you’re really concerned we can recommend a specialist to take a look but we don’t think it’s anything to worry about.”

 

The responsibility falls on both the medical staff to get it right and Trent since it’s his head.

 

Im more curious to know Bruce’s involvement to create so much animosity on Trent’s side. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Now, he's not upset with everyone. Throughout the back-and-forth, Williams mentioned Dan Snyder multiple times. The comments were all positive.

"I have a ton of respect for Dan and what he's done here," Williams said of the often-criticized owner.

He also lamented not being able to play for Jay Gruden, and how he feels partly to blame for Gruden losing his job. He "personally loved" his former head coach. 

One name that didn't come out of the Pro Bowler's mouth, though, was Bruce Allen's. When one reporter asked if the relationship between Williams and Allen could ever be fixed, Williams simply responded, "Next question." 

At another point, Williams was pressed to flat-out identify who he didn't trust within the Redskins, yet he declined. Instead, he wants people to draw their own conclusions. 

Those conclusions will point to, of course, the medical staff and Allen.

For years, Williams fought through intense injuries to suit up for Washington, putting on his No. 71 jersey when most wouldn't even consider doing so, even in lost seasons. The mishandling of his cancer, however, has become the tipping point for him, and while he still cares for certain people tied to the organization, he sounded disillusioned about his future with it as a whole.

"I felt I did sacrifice a lot," Williams said. "I didn't do it for me, I did it for them. I just expected the same type of respect back."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Of the NFL can investigate this this, they should. 

 

If Trent is telling the truth, it should be worse for ownership than anything he can imagine. 

 

If Trent is exaggerating or lying. That's pretty bad. 

 

The timeline of years and then being told weeks to live. Man, what do you say to that? Is that how this cancer goes? 

 

Why didn't he say something months ago? Other players being treated by this staff could be in danger. 

 

Ask McCoy about the unnecessary procedure he had done, which then led to further procedures.

There's a problem in Ashburn; has been for a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Random thought

 

Why go to a doctor when you have a plethora at your disposal at your job?

 

Because that plethora most likely aren't cancer experts.

 

They usually just deal with ankle sprains, hamstring pulls, or shoulder dislocations among other injuries.

 

Seems to me that if Williams was concerned about this growth on his head that kept growing, he should've taken his health into his own hands and gone to see a specialist.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m glad that he’s now cancer free. 

 

That being said, how you blame the Redskins for not diagnosing a bump as cancer is beyond me. Those doctors are not oncologists. If you’re worried about it, see your family doctor.  Not like you can’t afford it. 

 

I still feel like he’s a butt hurt diva who’s trying to get more guaranteed money.  

  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Koala said:

Anyhow, I very much envision a situation where Redskins doctors made a medically sound decision not to immediately operate, with the idea that surgery presented more risk than letting the slow growing tumor be and just watching its growth until it became more threatening.  They most likely presented this decision to the patient by minimizing its risk, using words like "minor" or "dont worry".  The problem is, unless you take the time to explain the medical basis of your opinion, it's really not a good idea to use the words tumor and minor in the same sentence  --it makes you look cavalier, and does nothing to reassure the patient.  ALL THE PATIENT THINKS IS I GOT CANCER AND THESE DOCTOR DONT CARE.

 

Or, more likely, they minimized the risks of him delaying getting it checked out until the offseason in the interest of suiting him up on Sundays.  Look at all of the injuries the guy's played through.  For 6-7 win seasons.  Do you think that's a coincidence?  Look at all of the quagmires this medical staff has been involved in.  Only difference between those and these, was those guys weren't good enough to attract attention to it.  

 

And since you pretty much can't do anything medically without the team's approval without the risk of voiding your contract (see NY Jets and Kelechi Osemele), either you play along or getting labeled as 'not a team' guy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

 

Seems to me that if Williams was concerned about this growth on his head that kept growing, he should've taken his health into his own hands and gone to see a specialist.

 

Wouldn’t his wife nag him to go see a doctor after a while?  

1 minute ago, megared said:

 

Or, more likely, they minimized the risks of him delaying getting it checked out until the offseason in the interest of suiting him up on Sundays.  Look at all of the injuries the guy's played through.  For 6-7 win seasons.  Do you think that's a coincidence?  Look at all of the quagmires this medical staff has been involved in.  Only difference between those and these, was those guys weren't good enough to attract attention to it.  

 

And since you pretty much can't do anything medically without the team's approval without the risk of voiding your contract (see NY Jets and Kelechi Osemele), either you play along or getting labeled as 'not a team' guy.  

And they didn’t suggest seeing a dermatologist in the off season?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, megared said:

 

Or, more likely, they minimized the risks of him delaying getting it checked out until the offseason in the interest of suiting him up on Sundays.  Look at all of the injuries the guy's played through.  For 6-7 win seasons.  Do you think that's a coincidence?  Look at all of the quagmires this medical staff has been involved in.  Only difference between those and these, was those guys weren't good enough to attract attention to it.  

 

And since you pretty much can't do anything medically without the team's approval without the risk of voiding your contract (see NY Jets and Kelechi Osemele), either you play along or getting labeled as 'not a team' guy.  

That would be the only logical reason he’s got such an issue with a Bruce. The doc probably recommend he go see a specialist if he’s concerned and Bruce probably told him that if he could wait until the season is over that would be suuuuper.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s the resolution to this. Regardless of how it got to this point. Add a year and some guaranteed dollars and move on from this sideshow. 
 

 

 

Is it that crazy though? For one, Trent signed the deal. So he agreed to it knowingly full well of the guarantees. If he didn't like, he (or really his agent) could have negotiated more. And two, guaranteed or not, it's not like anyone really expects Trent to get cut. So he's still getting paid. A lack of guarantees is only really a problem if you get cut.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't blame him for not trusting the medical staff, or Allen. Brucie is a POS weasel and I wouldn't trust that asshole to park my car. However, Trent should have seen a specialist. You have a lump on your head for 6 years, and don't bother asking for a second opinion? Team doctor's are not oncologists or dermatologists. He has all the resources in the world, and a 30 minute appointment at some point over the last 6 years could have revealed the issue. That's just stupid of him. Also, the "I almost died" is hyperbolic. These tumors have a 98% cure rate and are easily treatable. It's still very scary, I'm sure, but I think that's a bit melodramatic.

 

It is what it is. Our medical staff got it wrong and failed; Trent failed to do his own due dilligence in following up with it; Bruce failed as a GM and as a human being, and now we're stuck in this situation.

 

Yay.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, carex said:

 

I wonder how many knew he was in the hospital for a cancer scare.

 

I feel like he was expecting everyone around him to know everything and I wonder if he communicated the stuff he wanted them to know as well as he did this offseason

 

Or maybe...just maybe this organization, is the kind where innocuous actions could be perceived as betrayal.  Who's gonna be the first person to piss Bruce off that couldn't have been made an example of?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

And they didn’t suggest seeing a dermatologist in the off season?

When dealing with Cancer, waiting a few month might be too late...

 

14 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

These tumors have a 98% cure rate and are easily treatable. It's still very scary, I'm sure, but I think that's a bit melodramatic.

The word Cancer is generally scary enough for almost everybody. Those shouldn't be treated lightly... Even the most benign ones kill people everyday because they waited too much...

 

We shouldn't see this story out of a vacuum. As @skinzplay noted, the McCoy story is from the same wood. Guy broke his leg last season, and a few weeks later you had reports that if we made the playoffs last year guy would start for the team.

Then 6/7 months later you here the guy was not really totally healed and hasn't been playing up until september.

 

Those 2 are really not looking good for our FO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent could cement his status as a Redskins great without ever playing another snap here by continuing to give these interviews until Snyder can feel like the hero by finally firing Bruce. Taking out Bruce Allen and bringing back an off-season draft haul would be a splendid goodbye from Trent to Skins fans. One last crazy drama to end Allen's tenure here and then Snyder has to bring in a real GM to clean it all up and stop the talk--that's what Trent can cause  here if he keeps dishing the dirt.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

From the article:

 

"I went to go get the cyst extracted, and when they did it, they found out it wasn't a cyst," he said. "[They] told me it was DSFP. That's what the cancer is called. It's a very rare soft tissue cancer. The diagnosis that they gave me in the beginning, they kind of underestimated it," Williams said.

 

 

From the internet:

 

"How is DFSP diagnosed?

The absence of symptoms often leads to a delay in diagnosis. DFSP is often mistaken for other skin conditions, particularly in its early stages. It is frequently diagnosed when it enters a more rapid growth phase, giving rise to larger lesions."

 

 

From inside my head:

 

So does this mean that Trent's mass didn't enter a more rapid growth phase until recently, and that's why it wasn't diagnosed earlier? Because it sounds as if the "delay in diagnosis" of this type of cancer is rather common.

 

*****************

 

From the article:

 

"During the holdout, Williams stated that there was "no communication" between himself and the front office."

 

 

From DeAngelo Hall in September:

 

"Hall reports that Allen “asked Trent ‘Tell me who to fire and I’ll fire them.’ Trent’s response, ‘Man I don’t want to cost nobody their job. I don’t want to put anybody’s livelihood in my hands."

 

 

From inside my head:

 

That sounds like Hall is saying they did indeed communicate during his holdout...

 

 

*****************

 

From the presser (I asssume):

 

Trend "said felt waiting until last minute to try to trade him was vindictive."

 

 

From DeAngelo Hall in September:

 

While talking with Allen about potentially trading Williams, Allen said, “You don’t ask for a trade in minicamp. You ask for a trade in January, February, before free agency, before the draft, that’s when you ask for a trade."

 

 

From inside my head:

 

Half the fans on ES were feeling that Trent waited to ask for a trade in an attempt to gain leverage...and If Allen wanted to be vindictive he wouldn't have tried trading him at all.

 

 

*****************

 

From the presser (I assume):

 

"The growth, he said, was cancerous. He needed to have it removed before it metastasized."

 

 

From the internet:

 

"What is the prognosis for persons with DFSP?

 

The general prognosis for DFSP is excellent. In the past, recurrence rates were high, but with the introduction of Mohs surgery, those rates have decreased. Even with recurrent DFSP, Mohs surgery has a 98% cure rate.

 

A poor prognosis is associated with metastasis. However, recent results for patients with metastasis using Imatinib are encouraging.

 

 

From inside my head:

 

So if it had not metastasized, and there is a 98% cure rate for this type of cancer before it metastasizes, why was his doctor telling him to "get his affairs in order"?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, megared said:

 

Or maybe...just maybe this organization, is the kind where innocuous actions could be perceived as betrayal.  Who's gonna be the first person to piss Bruce off that couldn't have been made an example of?

 

I'm talking about him being pissed about no one visiting while he was in the hospital there

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Got to wonder if Bruce had Trent on a promise for an improved contract prior to this issue escalated into Trent having surgery?

 

 

Rumor is that Bruce doesn't negotiate extensions on contracts with more than one year remaining.

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

From the article:

 

"I went to go get the cyst extracted, and when they did it, they found out it wasn't a cyst," he said. "[They] told me it was DSFP. That's what the cancer is called. It's a very rare soft tissue cancer. The diagnosis that they gave me in the beginning, they kind of underestimated it," Williams said.

 

 

From the internet:

 

"How is DFSP diagnosed?

The absence of symptoms often leads to a delay in diagnosis. DFSP is often mistaken for other skin conditions, particularly in its early stages. It is frequently diagnosed when it enters a more rapid growth phase, giving rise to larger lesions."

 

 

From inside my head:

 

So does this mean that Trent's mass didn't enter a more rapid growth phase until recently, and that's why it wasn't diagnosed earlier? Because it sounds as if the "delay in diagnosis" of this type of cancer is rather common.

 

*****************

 

From the article:

 

"During the holdout, Williams stated that there was "no communication" between himself and the front office."

 

 

From DeAngelo Hall in September:

 

"Hall reports that Allen “asked Trent ‘Tell me who to fire and I’ll fire them.’ Trent’s response, ‘Man I don’t want to cost nobody their job. I don’t want to put anybody’s livelihood in my hands."

 

 

From inside my head:

 

That sounds like Hall is saying they did indeed communicate during his holdout...

 

 

*****************

 

From the presser (I asssume):

 

Trend "said felt waiting until last minute to try to trade him was vindictive."

 

 

From DeAngelo Hall in September:

 

While talking with Allen about potentially trading Williams, Allen said, “You don’t ask for a trade in minicamp. You ask for a trade in January, February, before free agency, before the draft, that’s when you ask for a trade."

 

 

From inside my head:

 

Half the fans on ES were feeling that Trent waited to ask for a trade in an attempt to gain leverage...and If Allen wanted to be vindictive he wouldn't have tried trading him at all.

 

 

*****************

 

From the presser (I assume):

 

"The growth, he said, was cancerous. He needed to have it removed before it metastasized."

 

 

From the internet:

 

"What is the prognosis for persons with DFSP?

 

The general prognosis for DFSP is excellent. In the past, recurrence rates were high, but with the introduction of Mohs surgery, those rates have decreased. Even with recurrent DFSP, Mohs surgery has a 98% cure rate.

 

A poor prognosis is associated with metastasis. However, recent results for patients with metastasis using Imatinib are encouraging.

 

 

From inside my head:

 

So if it had not metastasized, and there is a 98% cure rate for this type of cancer before it metastasizes, why was his doctor telling him to "get his affairs in order"?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Until the tumor is actually removed and the healthy tissue that was removed from around the tumor are both biopsied, the doctors aren't certain about the surgery.

 

Plus, it's surgery, there are always risks associated with surgery.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
5 minutes ago, mrcaniac said:

 

Until the tumor is actually removed and the healthy tissue that was removed from around the tumor are both biopsied, the doctors aren't certain about the surgery.

 

Plus, it's surgery, there are always risks associated with surgery.

 

They knew it had not metastasized yet, at least according to Trent. So they should have known it was a very good prognosis that everything will go well.

 

And I've had surgery before. My ex-wife recently had a brain tumor removed. No one ever told me or her anything close to "get your affairs in order", especially just a precaution because "you never know".

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Now, he's not upset with everyone. Throughout the back-and-forth, Williams mentioned Dan Snyder multiple times. The comments were all positive.

"I have a ton of respect for Dan and what he's done here," Williams said of the often-criticized owner.

He also lamented not being able to play for Jay Gruden, and how he feels partly to blame for Gruden losing his job. He "personally loved" his former head coach. 

One name that didn't come out of the Pro Bowler's mouth, though, was Bruce Allen's. When one reporter asked if the relationship between Williams and Allen could ever be fixed, Williams simply responded, "Next question." 

At another point, Williams was pressed to flat-out identify who he didn't trust within the Redskins, yet he declined. Instead, he wants people to draw their own conclusions. 

Those conclusions will point to, of course, the medical staff and Allen.

For years, Williams fought through intense injuries to suit up for Washington, putting on his No. 71 jersey when most wouldn't even consider doing so, even in lost seasons. The mishandling of his cancer, however, has become the tipping point for him, and while he still cares for certain people tied to the organization, he sounded disillusioned about his future with it as a whole.

"I felt I did sacrifice a lot," Williams said. "I didn't do it for me, I did it for them. I just expected the same type of respect back."

 

I need a minute to process this, that's the type of endorsement that pretty much kills any expectation for the players to want Snyder to sell the team as well and almost garuntees they'll come out in his support during a legit protest. 

 

Thoughts?  

 

Specific to Trent, this would've been great in August, might of gotten his trade and Bruce fired by now.  Him and Bruce are competing for who's the most wrong here, they both need to go for the culture change this franchise needs.  I'm crushed if it's the medical staff minimized and misdiagnosed something like cancer and didnt take the lead in making sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • TK locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...