Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

17 minutes ago, Redd said:

Really shouldn't of tagged him twice imo.  The only thing they got right was not signing him long term.  Still Redskins paid him long term money with 2 straight tags.

They shouldn’t have tagged him once because the second he’s tagged he’s being compensated as a top 5 player which he is not. 

And it sets the floor for the negotiation. 

The second tag was not the problem.  The first tag was.  That was the end of it unless they were willing to pay top 5 money for him.

Cousins has some similarities to the Trent debacle.  Both situations make the front office look inept.  Ask yourself this one question:

What would the Patriots, Steelers, or Ravens have done given the same situation?

That's the bar that the current redskins decision makers can't jump high enough to even touch...

1 minute ago, illone said:

Cousins has some similarities to the Trent debacle.  Both situations make the front office look inept.  Ask yourself this one question:

What would the Patriots, Steelers, or Ravens have done given the same situation?

That's the bar that the current redskins decision makers can't jump high enough to even touch...

Might want to take the Steelers out of this hypothetical. 

Its a new NFL athlete today. Think NBA. 

The collective bargaining talks will be interesting to see how this kind of stuff is handled. One could argue its bad for teams and the NFL (players demanding trades and the like), but the consumer is beginning to shift towards fantasy football and gambling. The passion for an individual franchise will continue to decline in the coming years, IMO. The consumer won’t care about player movement and how it’s done. 

Common question at the water cooler, “how’s your fantasy team doing”? 

Edited by wit33
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They shouldn’t have tagged him once because the second he’s tagged he’s being compensated as a top 5 player which he is not. 

The second tag was not the problem.  The first tag was.  That was the end of it unless they were willing to pay top 5 money for him.

I agree.  Either sign him long term or trade him.  Still pisses me off the FO tagged Kirk twice.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am still confused about the strategy the skins used with Cousins and the tag.  Not to bring up old ****, but wtf were we trying to accomplish there?

18 minutes ago, illone said:

I am still confused about the strategy the skins used with Cousins and the tag.  Not to bring up old ****, but wtf were we trying to accomplish there?

We were trying to determine if he wad worth signing to a long term franchise QB deal

4 minutes ago, carex said:

We were trying to determine if he wad worth signing to a long term franchise QB deal

For the money he was looking for, it was a no brainer. We all saw the type of player he was/is. I wanted him traded 2 drafts prior.....why Bruce let himself get played is beyond me...*maybe* Bruce was influenced too much by Jay and that BS is now why Bruce cuts Jay outa player decisions. I don't trust Jay anymore to have ANY input..Dead Man Walking as far as I'm concerned.

They all need to go..at least then fans can have *some* hope of the franchise coming back. I won't see it in my life span unfortunately

• Like 1
1 minute ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

For the money he was looking for, it was a no brainer. We all saw the type of player he was/is. I wanted him traded 2 drafts prior.....why Bruce let himself get played is beyond me...*maybe* Bruce was influenced too much by Jay and that BS is now why Bruce cuts Jay outa player decisions. I don't trust Jay anymore to have ANY input..Dead Man Walking as far as I'm concerned.

They all need to go..at least then fans can have *some* hope of the franchise coming back. I won't see it in my life span unfortunately

Game manager type QBs can still have some success so I imagine that's what they thought of him

Cousins was actually better in Grudens system with scrub RBs and mediocre injury prone WRs. So while he's definitely not worth what the Vikings ended up paying, nobody here ever argued that he was.

In all likelihood everybody from Bruce on down would look alot better right now if they had found a way to sign him long term after 2015 instead of using the tag.  But we'd still be mediocre instead of straight garbage so nobody would get fired.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Cousins was actually better in Grudens system with scrub RBs and mediocre injury prone WRs. So while he's definitely not worth what the Vikings ended up paying, nobody here ever argued that he was.

In all likelihood everybody from Bruce on down would look alot better right now if they had found a way to sign him long term after 2015 instead of using the tag.  But we'd still be mediocre instead of straight garbage so nobody would get fired.

If we would have signed him after 2015 and we got what he's been giving, we would have probably been in the exact same boat and probably had drafted a QB like Haskins. The only good thing that could have come is we would have a much more justifiable excuse to keep DH on the bench all year. 

2 hours ago, illone said:

Teams that have a history of success tend to have less disgruntled players. The ones that usually gripe rarely do so against the organization and end up proving to be nutcases. NE doesn't even wait til the players are disgruntled. They dumped Jamie Collins the moment he started playing away from the scheme. Jimmy G was gone the moment dissension became an issue with Brady. Jonas Gray got benched a week after being the AFC player of the week. 

I am still confused about the strategy the skins used with Cousins and the tag.

They were determined not to overpay at the QB position and have only spent $100 million dollars, one of the best young corners in the league, and multiple draft picks including a first rounder to end up with Case Keenum, Colt McCoy, and Dwayne Haskins.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Probably same thing we're trying to accomplish now with Trent. 

Jack ****..... :ols:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, carex said:

maybe they trade him at the deadline, and are just maximizing the money he loses

Yeah, they'll wait till the last minute and get a 3rd rounder. Sounds about right.

But they showed him...

• Haha 3
  • TK changed the title to !!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up
  • TK locked this topic