Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

To me I think there are 3 obvious points that have come out before we find out the real story.

1.  There are some players on this team who aren't in love with the medical staff.  This isn't the first time we've heard this narrative.  And just about every beat guy has mentioned this in the context of the story.  Even if the idea that Trent really is more than fine with the medical staff and any idea otherwise is BS -- still we know that other players have told reporters on and off the record that they have issues with the medical staff and have referenced it too in the context of this story.

2.  Reporters have tried to contact Trent and his agent and neither are responding.  So if these stories are wildly inaccurate -- Trent is still so far not willing to disabuse any of these narratives.  To me today is a big day on that front.  You'd figure if this is all BS he or his agent would tell the real deal.

3.  Jay at the very least has conveyed that there is an issue for why Trent isn't here and has referred to the medical staff yesterday and the day before referred to Bruce-Schaffer needing to deal with it.  So if this story is nonsense -- Jay doesn't seem to be in on the joke right now. 

40 minutes ago, Burgold said:

The outlier to this is, of course, the scab year. Gibbs was able to coach up and chess-up, off the street nobodies and beat a team stuffed with Probowlers and future HOFers.

Outlier. Key word there. And, to be frank, I was hoping to avoid a response like this when I purposely stated things like “a consistent team win-loss record” as well as it being “over an extended period of time”. So, yeah, outlier is an outlier. No one is going to get away with that for any extended period of time. No one. 

43 minutes ago, Burgold said:

To an extent, Gibbs II showed that Joe was so good that even far removed from the game and with a crap Vinny-built roster he could guide a team to the playoffs twice. That's extraordinary. Shanny, Gruden, etc. would have taken the same teams to a 7-9 ceiling at best and probably a 4-12 season.

Again, see above. Gibbs 2.0 had an overall losing record and a win percentage of .469. Saying he “guided a team to the playoffs twice” belies just how difficult it was to do so and how quickly we exited said playoffs. 

Gibbs 2.0 is actually the perfect example of what I’m talking about. It is pretty extraordinary and does show how great he was, as I implied in that post here, but it also shows that even his level of coaching could only do so much:

You can be the greatest coach ever and be filling that entire percentage up, but if the personnel acquisition is not up to par it won’t matter a whole lot. If the resource management and team-building strategy is, say, at a 10% level, the QB skill is at a 10% level and the coaching is at the full 30%... that’s still just 50% total, so

you’ll be average on the field over an extended period of time. That is essentially with a HOF level coach leading the way. I believe we saw something resembling the above distribution during Gibbs 2.0, give or take. 

That being said, comparing it to other coaches is really difficult and I don’t agree. Gibbs did have the advantage of having a way more veteran roster built aggressively to “win now” that didn’t require much player development. It’s not apples to apples. 

Lake Lewis, reporter, was just on 980, he just said flat out Trent is upset at the medical staff and said you can quote him on that.  And that it's not about money with Trent from what he understands.   He said other players have talked to him about not loving the medical staff -- says a whole bunch of players have griped off the record about it.  They talked about them misdiagnosing injuries and many players don't trust them.   He basically suggested they misdiagnosed the issue on his head initially.  

He does think the situation though is salvageable and they can work things out.   Lewis from a reporter stand point said he doesn't get why Jay is the one who has to deal with this publicly as opposed to Bruce.  He thinks this falls squarely in Bruce's turf and he should deal with it publicly.  

6 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

Belichick can be the greatest coach ever, I don’t really care to argue that point (I will go to bat for Gibbs on this because he won it all three times without the comfort of one elite QB). But I will adamantly remain on my belief, with tons of evidence and clear examples behind it, that it simply doesn’t matter how good a coach is if the organization itself isn’t up to par (or you don’t have Tom Brady to make it so). Belichick is not going to be nearly as successful establishing what he’s established anywhere else without Brady or, at least, someone that comes somewhat near his greatness. 

I’m not too fond of putting this into numbers because it’s never going to be exactly quantifiable and I even slightly fluctuate myself here and there... but I’ve come to divide the percentages attributed to consistent team win-loss record at the pro level like this:

General Player Personnel: 50% 

Coaching: 30%

QB: 20% 

Side note: This is ONLY at the pro level. The further removed you get from the NFL (where you have a salary cap, a draft, and finite roster space, which makes resource management vital), the more coaching itself matters. At the pee wee level, for instance, everybody is getting the kids in their area for the most part. There is little to no choosing. The best coaches will succeed more often than not. But, even then, if one team has a ridiculously good player it’s usually over for everyone. :ols: 

I am very close to this point.  If you have a pro bowl QB, I might even go higher as to their value where I'd prop it this way:  50% personnel, 25% coaching, 25% QB.  I've said this quite a bit that IMO the only thing that can potentially override IMO the dysfunction at the top of this organization is a franchise QB.  And that's still to me a maybe as opposed to slam dunk. 

I've read two books about Belichick and the impression I get about him makes me think he wouldn't last here for long if he were here -- he'd either be fired or more likely quit within 2 years tops IMO.  

8 hours ago, Tarpon75 said:

Unfortunately,Trent and his linemates didn’t stop two quarterback’s legs from being broken last year. I don’t really believe at this point he’s worth what he’s being paid. If he wants to sit out let him.  This team isn’t exactly poised for a deep playoff run.  Hopefully, they can come up with a serviceable tackle somewhere, as you said.

Supposedly New England is in the market for help at tackle, I wonder what they would offer up? Tough to deal with them though and end up on the better end of the deal, although Brady can't have many more runs left in him, especially if he has no offensive line.

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To me I think there are 3 obvious points that have come out before we find out the real story.

1.  There are some players on this team who aren't in love with the medical staff.  This isn't the first time we've heard this narrative.  And just about every beat guy has mentioned this in the context of the story.  Even if the idea that Trent really is more than fine with the medical staff and any idea otherwise is BS -- still we know that other players have told reporters on and off the record that they have issues with the medical staff and have referenced it too in the context of this story.

2.  Reporters have tried to contact Trent and his agent and neither are responding.  So if these stories are wildly inaccurate -- Trent is still so far not willing to disabuse any of these narratives.  To me today is a big day on that front.  You'd figure if this is all BS he or his agent would tell the real deal.

3.  Jay at the very least has conveyed that there is an issue for why Trent isn't here and has referred to the medical staff yesterday and the day before referred to Bruce-Schaffer needing to deal with it.  So if this story is nonsense -- Jay doesn't seem to be in on the joke right now

Mostly speculation on my end, and I hate to do that which is why I haven’t really commented directly on it yet, but based on what Moses said... I think Trent is essentially answering the question of “why all the injuries” for us right now. 

Basically, it’s a medical staff that is notorious for misdiagnosing player’s ailments and their healing time which then ends up with them suffering worse injuries while playing when they shouldn’t have been. 

Or not, lol. Just fascinating how this is all coming out like this and the noise is now almost entirely directed at the medical staff. Seems purposeful and intentional. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Lake Lewis, reporter, was just on 980, he just said flat out Trent is upset at the medical staff and said you can quote him on that.  And that it's not about money with Trent from what he understands.   He said other players have talked to him about not loving the medical staff -- says a whole bunch of players have griped off the record about it.  They talked about them misdiagnosing injuries and many players don't trust them.   He basically suggested they misdiagnosed the issue on his head initially.  

He does think the situation though is salvageable and they can work things out. 

I am very close to this point.  If you have a pro bowl QB, I might even go higher as to their value where I'd prop it this way:  50% personnel, 25% coaching, 25% QB.  I've said this quite a bit that IMO the only thing that can potentially override IMO the dysfunction at the top of this organization is a franchise QB.  And that's still to me a maybe as opposed to slam dunk. 

I've read two books about Belichick and the impression I get about him makes me think he wouldn't last here for long if he were here -- he'd either be fired or more likely quit within 2 years tops IMO.  

30% is too low imo on the importance of good coaching. Guys like Gibbs, Lombardi and Walsh made hall of famers out of certain players because of the systems they devised. Belicheck wins year after year with mediocre wide receivers and replaceable parts all over the team. He is a game managing, game preparing genius who puts his players in position to win. Having talent is huge, but many coaches have had more talent than Belichek has had and done less with it. Buddy Ryan had Super Bowl, hall of fame talent in Philly for years and couldn't win more than one playoff game. If you had given Joe Gibbs that roster they may have gone down as one of the greatest teams in NFL history. 

I get that Trent is angry with the medical staff on the team, but I feel like a ton of fan anger being directed at the medical staff is misguided.  It should be directed at the "GM" who continues to sign and/or claim good but injury prone players on "bargain" deals.  

37 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I would trade him then replace the entire medical staff if thats really how he feels. You can get a 1st for Trent easy, and the medical staff is a legit problem. 

Blaming medical staffs is a pretty serious allegation without having the facts. i'd like to hear what Trent's beef is before I blame anyone. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to blame any doctor as that's not my field of expertise...

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you have a pro bowl QB, I might even go higher as to their value where I'd prop it this way:  50% personnel, 25% coaching, 25% QB.

I am absolutely open to this distribution as being more accurate. I’ve honestly fluctuated myself on it and have been right where you are. Especially with the rules now in place for QBs. 

Only reason I moved away from putting them as equals is because, in the end, coaches have to coach the entire roster and there’s a lot more of them, lol. But yeah, could go either way. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yup, pretty much. :ols: 

Perhaps this is when Dan needs to take a stand, and not delegate.  This is less about day to day football operations, and more about good business - taking care of your investments.

Dan should reach out to Trent, and just do what needs to be done. Take the lead, and change the league for the better.

Replace the medical staff, promise 2nd opinions to the player with the doctor of their choice, whatever needs to be done.  With all the obsessing on concussions and concussions alone, the elephant in the room is now in plain sight for all to see. Doctors putting the team first.  Now, if that is leading to "misdiagnosis" that is close to malpractice, is it not?  We have basically known players are drugged up, basically forced out there, suck it up buttercup, we need you to go on Sunday - but to levels we can only speculate on.

Hiring a consultant was likely just a waste of money for they were operating under the guise that the med team does, "we need player X ready by Sunday". Um yeah, RICE and you will be ready to go!!!1! Rest Ice Compression Elevation will work for us, but it doesn't work with major injuries.  The consultant saw the doctors were under direction to get the guy out there, right?  That is the root of the issue, and why a consultant was merely a PR stunt.

Seems to me that players and any teams medical staff will often be at odds.  Their goals are generally different.  The player is almost always trying to maximize their career earnings and/or longevity and the medical staff is charged with getting guys back on the field as soon as possible.  

And it’s not just football...Kawhi Leonard pulled the “team doctor” deal to force a trade from the Spurs.  Does anybody here really believe that the Spurs training staff is incompetent?

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

I get that Trent is angry with the medical staff on the team, but I feel like a ton of fan anger being directed at the medical staff is misguided.  It should be directed at the "GM" who continues to sign and/or claim good but injury prone players on "bargain" deals.  

These are two completely different conversations. They have nothing to do with each other. 

One is about who you bring in and the expectations they can stay healthy. And I agree, Bruce is the worst about trying to find bargains by signing or keeping guys with injury histories. I have made that very point, as have others many times. 

The other is when there are injuries, does the team have the right people to properly diagnose and provide care for injuries. There have been questions about how guys are being diagnosed and then what their recovery is - Leron Landry, Robert, Guice had multiple operations due to infection, same with Alex Smith.  I do not follow other teams medical staffs well enough to know if this is normal or not. But it feels like it is not. Having said that, I do hear of players complaining about medical staffs from other NFL teams along with players in other sports. 

I would really like to know the truth. It's all probably somewhere in the middle. The medical staff made some mistakes - but honest ones, and Trent while he may have some legitimate concern is over-reacting. But this is clearly all conjecture on my part. I really want to see the rest of the story. 

WHAT IF:

Kirk: "Hey Trent...I'm getting my head handed to me here! I Need you real bad"

Trent: " I have 2 years left on my Contract"

Kirk "No Problem, The FO is a bunch of pansies and they will fold if you hit them with a complaint about being mistreated and disrespected. Demand a Trade and they will fold for pennies"

Trent Fine but you guys can't afford me

Kirk. I I don't perform here, I'll be toast. I'll redo my contract and cover the extra couple Mil

https://www.vikings.com/news/2018-vikings-position-recap-offensive-line

https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/26/minnesota-vikings-reiff-surprise-cut-2019/

Think about it....

29 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

30% is too low imo on the importance of good coaching. Guys like Gibbs, Lombardi and Walsh made hall of famers out of certain players because of the systems they devised. Belicheck wins year after year with mediocre wide receivers and replaceable parts all over the team. He is a game managing, game preparing genius who puts his players in position to win. Having talent is huge, but many coaches have had more talent than Belichek has had and done less with it. Buddy Ryan had Super Bowl, hall of fame talent in Philly for years and couldn't win more than one playoff game. If you had given Joe Gibbs that roster they may have gone down as one of the greatest teams in NFL history. 

I agree with your specific examples.  However, you are talking about elite-hall of fame one of a kind trail blazing coaches, among the best in the history of the game.  Those guys aren't commonly found coaches.  It's akin to me like saying for example edge rushers are more important than defensive tackles -- and then someone says well not really what about Aaron Donald?   Yeah Darnold would be an exception to the rule.  And there are exceptions to just about any rule. 

If you have a hall of fame coach, GM or generational player it can transcend general trends-stats.   But there is only one Belichick.  Still, Belichick didn't become Belichick until he found the right ownership and the right QB.  He was nothing special in Cleveland.  And reading some about it -- ownership did have something to do with the issues in Cleveland.  Belichick IMO wouldn't be the Belichick we know if he was coaching for Dan.  I also don't think he'd be the same without Brady.   I'd also add Gibbs and Walsh coached in an era where they could stash talent and maintain it in a much easier way than you can today.  That IMO made coaching more valuable then.  You had the same players who you can entrench in your system and it was rare to lose any of your key players.   Today, rosters are more fluid.  And you need a FO that can play the cap and deal with turnover in ways you didn't have to worry about in the 70s and 80s. 

When Gibbs wanted to upgrade the roster and take the next step after their 2005 season -- just about every FO move backfired and the team took a step down and stunk the next year.  If it were the 80s, I doubt that would have happened because they wouldn't have had to purge guys like Pierce and Clark in order to make other upgrades.  My point is these are different times.  And I think the FO has become more important than ever.  Heck these FO guys have now in some quarters have become stars that are the equivalent of HCs at least among football nerd types.  They've become a bigger deal IMO than the they were in the 80s.

Love reading about Belichick.  The dude is a winner.  But at least the books I've read about him paint a picture that he's very into everything and that includes personnel.  The Patriots FO has had some serious talent as to their evaluators and many of whom have been taken over the years by other teams.  They are very forward thinking as to the cap among other things.   For example, all this talk this off season about this being a win now season here and that's guiding their moves -- that isn't Belichick's style.  He's always looking ahead.   And yes having Brady makes it easier for him to do so. 

Bringing this back on point as to Trent.  Yeah I could see Belichick moving on from Trent but irrespective of any of this narrative.  If you got a LT making about 14 million who has been banged up and is turning 31 -- Belichick likes to sell high so I'd guess he likely would have traded him last year let alone amidst this current soap opera. 

9 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think most folks are working under the guys of “if”.  Few are responding as if they know it’s this or that.  

There is a whole lot we dont know. I just struggle to understand how folks can turn on Trent Williams at the drop of a dime.  The guy used as an example of “wanting to be here”, “core Redskin”, “our leader”, etc. is now a piece of greedy ****.  If he truly wants out of here, it’s a problem, that I sincerely doubt is more about him than it is the suits and how they run things.

Trent should come out and address this then. I hope it's media BS but the longer he stays silent the more speculation will occur and sour the team/fans. That could be the plan though..make playing here a non starter...who knows. Something is going on that is not good

28 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Blaming medical staffs is a pretty serious allegation without having the facts. i'd like to hear what Trent's beef is before I blame anyone. That being said, I'd be hard pressed to blame any doctor as that's not my field of expertise...

I'd frankly like to know to what extent Trent has addressed this with the front office prior to this display.  Because if this beef is not with the coaches or his contract, a) I would think he could just have said that to the FO or in a statement, and b) having such an issue with the medical staff that you're refusing to report, but not mention to anybody this is what's about to happen is rather spiteful.  

Now, maybe he just recently came to this conclusion that he wasnt gonna show up, after the draft and after the good free agents are gone.  Like it's an unfortunate coincidence.  

If it was as much about the med staff as Lake Lewis suggests, the only two options that would seem palatable are trade or replacing the medical staff.  Asking for a new contract doesnt seem like it goes with what his beef is.  Unless, he knows they're not gonna pay him, so a crazy contract demand spurs said trade.

46 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Outlier. Key word there. And, to be frank, I was hoping to avoid a response like this when I purposely stated things like “a consistent team win-loss record” as well as it being “over an extended period of time”. So, yeah, outlier is an outlier. No one is going to get away with that for any extended period of time. No one. 

Again, see above. Gibbs 2.0 had an overall losing record and a win percentage of .469. Saying he “guided a team to the playoffs twice” belies just how difficult it was to do so and how quickly we exited said playoffs. 

Gibbs 2.0 is actually the perfect example of what I’m talking about. It is pretty extraordinary and does show how great he was, as I implied in that post here, but it also shows that even his level of coaching could only do so much:

That being said, comparing it to other coaches is really difficult and I don’t agree. Gibbs did have the advantage of having a way more veteran roster built aggressively to “win now” that didn’t require much player development. It’s not apples to apples. 

Just to be difficult, Joe Gibbs was ten years removed from his game during Gibbs II. So, the fact that a completely rusty and 0ff-HIS-GAME Joe Gibbs took two Vinny Cerrato teams to the playoffs and won a playoff game earns bonus points in my book. It's a cup half full versus cup half empty exercise. You can look at the two losing seasons and say, "AHA!" I see what he accomplished despite being out of the game, out of the business, etc. To me, it's all the more remarkable. You take anything and not do it for ten years... when you come back to it you will be a shadow of yourself. His shadow was playoff worthy 50% of the time with crap teams.

We'll never know, but I contend that if we got Gibbs in his prime and at his best, he would have made those teams perennial playoff teams and a challenger. Heck, Joe never had a "great" team to work with even in Gibbs I if you listen to the pundits.

I would replace the medical staff. At this point, it doesn't matter if it is true that they suck. We've had a million injuries and we have had surgical complications/infections. Replacing them just for player perception seems smart, and my perception is that the players are probably right about this. 

Also, I hope Trent comes to his senses. If not, Cleveland seems like a possible trade partner. Greg Robinson plus a pick for Trent would probably be about as good as we could expect. 

If he refuses to play here then trade him... and then STFU about it. There's NO WAY the Redskins PR win a War of Words on this... or anything.

Didn't we have another guy a few seasons back besides Jarrett where a stinger turned into a career ender. Sua Cravens complaints about the staff may gain new credibility in all this as well.

Anyway the FO would do well NOT to try to hang Williams out to dry on this one.

13 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

He had a benign tumor, are you saying the team covered it up or it's acceptable to go off the rails on your employer because at one time you were scared you had a cancerous tumor?  What am I missing?  If they found the tumor during the season and told him not to worry about it then you have a major issue but I haven't heard that being said.

The team has all the risk, what risk do the players have, that they can get cut and picked up 2 days later like Swearinger.

There is a health risk but they know that the day they start playing football, way before they make it to the NFL.

I'm reading this multiple times and still can't understand how you can be serious about this.

If you go to see a medical professional, then you're putting your life in their hands.  Full stop.

With everything involving player safety, opioid abuse, concussions, CTE, and every other health issue, you think this doesn't qualify?  Really?  The medical professional is OBLIGATED, literally HAS TO, refer him to a specialist.  Doesn't matter if he's a foot doctor, orthopedist, anything.  If you see a problem, or the potential of a problem that is outside your scope of practice, then you have to do what's in the patient's best interests.  This isn't debatable; this is the law, part of licensure for EVERY medical profession, and a requirement for being in ANY professional association or board.

This is how you treat your players: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2187527-bengals-re-sign-devon-still-in-order-to-help-him-support-his-sick-daughter  That is what you do.  The guy was a JAG, and they still took care of his daughter (who wasn't on the team).  

You make a cancer scare sound like it's thinking that you have a stomach virus.  NBD, get over it, stop being a baby.  How, man?  How do you act like that?  How do you think like that?

When Trent started playing football, CTE was a thing?  Potentially having a tumor at this age was something to consider?  Are you kidding me, man?  I really, really hope you're just a couple months and couple days late on an April Fool's joke.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

Perhaps this is when Dan needs to take a stand, and not delegate.  This is less about day to day football operations, and more about good business - taking care of your investments.

Dan should reach out to Trent, and just do what needs to be done. Take the lead, and change the league for the better.

Replace the medical staff, promise 2nd opinions to the player with the doctor of their choice, whatever needs to be done.  With all the obsessing on concussions and concussions alone, the elephant in the room is now in plain sight for all to see. Doctors putting the team first.  Now, if that is leading to "misdiagnosis" that is close to malpractice, is it not?  We have basically known players are drugged up, basically forced out there, suck it up buttercup, we need you to go on Sunday - but to levels we can only speculate on.

Hiring a consultant was likely just a waste of money for they were operating under the guise that the med team does, "we need player X ready by Sunday". Um yeah, RICE and you will be ready to go!!!1! Rest Ice Compression Elevation will work for us, but it doesn't work with major injuries.  The consultant saw the doctors were under direction to get the guy out there, right?  That is the root of the issue, and why a consultant was merely a PR stunt.

I really agree with the second opinion concept.

Frankly, this is a medical issue and not a necessarily a 'football operations' problem. I get the vested interest team doctors might have. It should be transparent and available second opinions. 

Most Americans rely on their employers for healthcare and insurance because the have to, financially. The majority of these athletes, TW include, can get their own private insurance and go anywhere they want for second opinions, and quite frankly as an owner I would encourage the for personal satisfaction.

Kinda not a 'Redskins' thing here (and I'm not saying their medical staff is good or bad, nor am I defending organization). I get TW being frustrated with the 'medical situation', but there shouldn't be any obstacles (if there is at all) to second opinions. 

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

WHAT IF:

Kirk: "Hey Trent...I'm getting my head handed to me here! I Need you real bad"

Trent: " I have 2 years left on my Contract"

Kirk "No Problem, The FO is a bunch of pansies and they will fold if you hit them with a complaint about being mistreated and disrespected. Demand a Trade and they will fold for pennies"

Trent Fine but you guys can't afford me

Kirk. I I don't perform here, I'll be toast. I'll redo my contract and cover the extra couple Mil

https://www.vikings.com/news/2018-vikings-position-recap-offensive-line

https://thevikingage.com/2019/05/26/minnesota-vikings-reiff-surprise-cut-2019/

Think about it....

Stop. Not only is this next-level stupidity on its own, but taken as a body of work your Cousins fixation in every unrelated thread should lead to a warning imo. But I'm not in the business of telling our lovely mods how to do their jobs so I'll stick with being content to call these posts dumb every time they pop up. 

TW has always been a good leader and a stand up guy, so him taking a stance like this doesn't feel like a bluff. Hearing Jay acknowledge that there is an issue and not hearing TW deny it substantiates the story. It sounds like he's doing this not only for his misdiagnosis, but for the rest of the players who apparently also felt they were. I don't know what the resolution is, what will get him back on board? Fire and replace the medical staff? Or has he really already made his decision and anything we do will be in vain? Let's hope AP can talk some sense into him...

Two years in a row we've been the most injured team and the year before that we were second most. I've maintained that this isn't a product of the medical staff, training facility, etc., that it's been hard luck, but at this point I'm on board to hire some new/additional medical personnel. It would be a win/win if it also keeps TW here.

Leave it to the Redskins to get back-to-back gut punches/negative PRs (this and ZB) in early June. The thought of Hard Knocks in Richmond doesn't sound as enjoyable at the moment.

Archived