Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

I could not disagree more. Many of you keep associating his actions for his contract to disrespect for his teammates. There may be a very small portion but overall they understand the business side of this. The issue comes if he steps on the field and does not give 100%. That is the line you don't cross. But this idea that he is disrespecting his teammates by making a contract stand is incorrect. 

Agree here 100%.  Players are 99.9% of the time on the players side even if they don't know the particulars.

• Like 2
Just now, goskins10 said:

I could not disagree more. Many of you keep associating his actions for his contract to disrespect for his teammates. There may be a very small portion but overall they understand the business side of this. The issue comes if he steps on the field and does not give 100%. That is the line you don't cross. But this idea that he is disrespecting his teammates by making a contract stand is incorrect. 

It's an opinion I hold...I understand your side of it. Also, just because his teammates "understand the business side" doesn't mean what he's doing isn't disrespectful to them. They'll have been showing up for OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and daily practices for pennies on the dollar of what Trent has already made. Most of these guys want to win and he improves their chances of that. So, it's not crazy for me to think that's selfish. 

Will they care? Who knows. But it's selfish. 

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think he’s playing by week 6. Which is the trade deadline I believe. 

I actually think you might see him week 2 or 3.  

Bruce has seemingly made it clear he isn’t going to be traded this year.  

So if he is going to come back in the end so he has a qualifying year, you might as well come back early and make as much money as possible. 

I believe he either comes back after this weekend (or maybe after week 2) or not at all. He either sees football being played, understands not getting a check is real and decides to play or all this is about more than money and he is resolute about not playing for Washington again. 

It will be interesting to see which it is. 

• Like 1
Just now, TD_washingtonredskins said:

It's an opinion I hold...I understand your side of it. Also, just because his teammates "understand the business side" doesn't mean what he's doing isn't disrespectful to them. They'll have been showing up for OTAs, training camp, pre-season, and daily practices for pennies on the dollar of what Trent has already made. Most of these guys want to win and he improves their chances of that. So, it's not crazy for me to think that's selfish. 

Will they care? Who knows. But it's selfish. 

Of course it's selfish if you want to call it that but it's not disrespectful. If you demand a raise from work then quit if they don't give you one, are you being selfish? Of course. Is it disrespectful? Not even close. 

No one is going to take care you in business out of the kindness of their heart. Are those guys going to pay his salary if he gets released next year? No. Are they going care? Maybe a little. But not enough to give him money. Nor should they. 

It is a business period. He has a right to take care of himself. 

BTW: An argument could be made he is also helping other players behind him. And what if this is about the medical/training staffs and he is taking a stand for the entire team? 

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Of course it's selfish if you want to call it that but it's not disrespectful. If you demand a raise from work then quit if they don't give you one, are you being selfish? Of course. Is it disrespectful? Not even close. 

No one is going to take care you in business out of the kindness of their heart. Are those guys going to pay his salary if he gets released next year? No. Are they going care? Maybe a little. But not enough to give him money. Nor should they. 

BTW: An argument could be made he is also helping other players behind him. And what if this is about the medical/training staffs and he is taking a stand for the entire team? 

I'm in Federal IT...so let me try to at least add some context to your analogy. 

If a team of us identified an opportunity at a government agency and then it was right before it was time to write the proposal and THEN I chose to bail unless I got a raise, yes, I would consider that disrespectful the that team of people I "battled" with leading up to that moment. Especially if the reason I used as my justification was something that occurred months prior to my decision or communication of the decision. 

As to your point about taking care of him, I get that and he's ALLOWED to do what he feels he needs to do. But both things can be true...he can be allowed to do it to take care of his family (despite the $50M he's earned prior to this extension request) and still be disrespecting his teammates and putting them in a bad spot. 

49 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I could not disagree more....this idea that he is disrespecting his teammates...

Not saying all are the same but the o-line is usually the tightest among factions on the team and are used to being the leaders. IF this is seen as all about money I can see his teammates looking at him sideways. Especially with all the 💰 hes already pocketed.O Linemen are usually the glue to teams and very team oriented. Js, from the outside TW looking kind of diva-ish.

• Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

If it is indeed about the medical, that would change things a bit. 

If it is primarily about money...If you took the time and energy of everyone involved to negotiate a raise and contract, and then before it is up decide it isn't enough and tell them you aren't going to show up, and then let it leak that it is about the medical staff, while also leaking that it could be about money too, and not speaking publicly to explain, therefore dragging the team through mud without having the backbone to speak clearly about what the issue is...well, I would consider that disrespectful to the organization. 

As far as the players, meh. I don't think they get all that hung up on who else is out there and for what reason they are or are not out there. It is next man up, that's the NFL. If he went out and said he didn't want to play with a bunch of worthless scrubs that will never win anything, that would be disrespectful. I doubt any player is feeling disrespected that Trent is trying to either get paid/or voice displeasure about the med staff. 

1 minute ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Not saying all are the same but the o-line is usually the tightest among factions on the team and are used to being the leaders. IF this is seen as all about money I can see his teammates looking at him sideways. Especially with all the 💰 hes already pocketed.O Linemen are usually the glue to teams and very team oriented. Js, from the outside TW looking kind of diva-ish.

They are tight enough that they are probably on Trent's side

If Trent is in town, that's a good sign.

If the emphasis is on him dealing with "personal matters", obviously not a good sign for Trent (depending on severity), but that could be a good sign for the team, again depending on the severity of the matters, and depending on whether they're the main reason for him currently holding out, or if they're just piling onto his reasons.

Again, we're back in a position of about 80% or more speculation.

36 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If the emphasis is on him dealing with "personal matters", obviously not a good sign for Trent (depending on severity), but that could be a good sign for the team, again depending on the severity of the matters, and depending on whether they're the main reason for him currently holding out, or if they're just piling onto his reasons.

Personal matters doesn't have to be bad...he could be buying a house, attending a friend's cookout, or any number of non-football things that we all do. 

21 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So if Trent comes back, can we start Haskins?

If those two things were linked, then I'd feel more invested in Trent coming back. I hope that they aren't linked though. 

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well, I think Trent has had a home here, in town, for many years.  He has a family, his family lives there, would be pretty weird if he didnt live with his family. Not sure that means anything other than that he lives in his home.

50 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Re: the past couple posts...

The players could be on his side, it still doesn't make it any less selfish or disrespectful in my opinion. 

You can decide that's it's disrespectful to you. But you can't determine if the players feel that way and with all due respect since you are not doing any blocking I don't care if you feel disrespected  🙂   That is truly meant as mostly a joke.   Not trying to be disrespectful...   Ok that was definitely a 100% joke....  :cheers:

Kidding aside all that matters really is what the players feel. And from all reports he is one of the most respected guys in the locker room. Even if it is all about money the players will mostly be on his side.

On a side note - And just talking here. Not trying to be an ass. As for your analogy - The preparations you are talking about is not valid since that is training camp for Trent as this season is the project - for which he was not present. They prepared for the project without him from the start. Had he gone through training camp then like last week bailed then your analogy would apply. But it does not here.

• Haha 1
11 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Personal matters doesn't have to be bad...he could be buying a house, attending a friend's cookout, or any number of non-football things that we all do. 

If those two things were linked, then I'd feel more invested in Trent coming back. I hope that they aren't linked though. 

Or selling a house 😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, TheShredSkinz said:

Never know, I haven't seen or heard any statements from them.

I heard an interview with Ryan Kerrigan early on where they asked his thoughts, he was clearly on the side of Trent and any player who holds out for contract reasons, and even cited examples of others, like coaches, who have even broken contract for more money and not received the same level of scrutiny

The more developments that occur from the FO and Coaching staff - the more frustrating this gets.  (Gruden is going it have Peterson on the inactive list now????) Didn't the Texans need a RB besides a LT?  I get the feeling that the Coach and Allen are on different pages and maybe Gruden was numb because he wanted to trade with the Texans (and include Peterson in the deal?????)

Edited by nonniey
6 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I am concerned about that too...

If that's his plan, I would love the Redskins to just sit him out or not activate him for those final games. Because if he sits out 10 games and comes back just to move the needle to the final year of his contract, **** that ****. What a dick. 

Theres nothing they could do there, if hes available for those games, they still have to pay him and it still counts toward his year of contract, even if they were to sit him.  Honestly, sitting him probably would be even better for him, because then he doesnt have to risk injury.

• TK changed the title to !!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up
  • TK locked this topic