Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

38 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Ok so basically nobody here really knows anything at all...nothing whatsoever...right?

Just checking lol...because from reading the posts it sounds like a lot of you feel you know all you need to know. No additional info needed...

I think most folks are working under the guys of “if”.  Few are responding as if they know it’s this or that.  

There is a whole lot we dont know. I just struggle to understand how folks can turn on Trent Williams at the drop of a dime.  The guy used as an example of “wanting to be here”, “core Redskin”, “our leader”, etc. is now a piece of greedy ****.  If he truly wants out of here, it’s a problem, that I sincerely doubt is more about him than it is the suits and how they run things.

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listened to JLC on this just now.  He said Trent thinks they mishandled things related to the last surgery.  JLC said he doesn't know directly the specifics of what Trent means by that but he's told that Trent told multiple people that he's done with them based on how it was handled and asked for a trade.

Garry Stanley @SKINUM

Replying to @john_keim

Maybe, he wanted a medical marijuana prescription and the team physicians wouldn’t agree. 😁

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think most folks are working under the guys of “if”.  Few are responding as if they know it’s this or that.  

There is a whole lot we dont know. I just struggle to understand how folks can turn on Trent Williams at the drop of a dime.  The guy used as an example of “wanting to be here”, “core Redskin”, “our leader”, etc. is now a piece of greedy ****.  If he truly wants out of here, it’s a problem, that I sincerely doubt is more about him than it is the suits and how they run things.

The problem with "if" is that most only consider one "if" in their responses lol...

Someone said on twitter that Williams didn't just wake up this morning feeling this way...he could have/should have reached this conclusion much earlier when things could have been more advantageous for both him and the Skins. But this is working under the guise that Trent really does want off the team, really is bothered by how something was handled by the doctors, really is not overreacting and really does have a valid argument to make. it's also ignoring the realities of whatever medical issues he's dealing with, whether or not he had recourse available to him that he chose not to utilize, whether or not the team doctors followed established NFL medical protocol, whether or not the issue Trent may or may not be frustrated by is even anything team doctors are supposed to deal with, whether or not he followed their advice, whether or not their advice would have helped or harmed him, and if things he's frustrated by can be avoided simply by going to another team or--as Moses indicated--would be present all across the league.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

The ownership would have some leverage if they had drafted a OT but now they all they can do is pile into the clown car and circle around the ring while the music plays before climbing while the rest of the league laughs at them.

When exactly should they have drafted an OT this year?  Not draft Haskins?  Not move up to snag Sweat?  Cause anything after that is unsure....so Please..............

michael phillips @michaelpRTD

Adrian Peterson: “I don’t know where that came from. I talk to him all the time and I’ve never heard him say that.” (On Trent Williams report)

Redskins Realm @SkinsRealm

So yesterday Trent wants a new deal or to be traded (reportedly). Now today, he wants out of Washington due to issues with Medical staff (reportedly). And then just now, Adrian Peterson (Trents best friend) says the medical report is false. 😐 idk what to think regarding all this

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The problem with "if" is that most only consider one "if" in their responses lol...

Obviously it’s all speculation.  The only facts we know are that Trent is not there and Jay specifically said he had an issue with the medical staff.  He probably should have said nothing at all, but surely nobody else in Ashburn would be made available to address it.

So we know for certain there is an issue here, we just don’t know how, what and when it came to be.  It seems a bit wild to me that the one guy truly elite at his position, that has stuck it out here for a long time, through a lot of crap, just up and plots  a scheme to hold the team hostage.  Or is just being an ignorant a-hole about how his health was handled. Or whatever else has been conjured up.

A smart betting man would take the side of Trent Williams having a legitimate beef here.

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Lets do due diligence and see what kind of offers we get for him? If he wants to Le'veon Bell us and sit out then go for it. We should also take his claims and check them out seriously to see if there's merit to what he says. Trading Trent, imo, wouldn't be a terrible thing if we can get good value for him....BUT, we would need a competent replacement who won't get our QB's broken legs. That will be the challenge. He has had a nice career here but his play has most definitely declined over the past two seasons, when he's even on the field. Who would be interested in him??? We would need their left tackle and a 1st round pick for starters.

Unfortunately,Trent and his linemates didn’t stop two quarterback’s legs from being broken last year. I don’t really believe at this point he’s worth what he’s being paid. If he wants to sit out let him.  This team isn’t exactly poised for a deep playoff run.  Hopefully, they can come up with a serviceable tackle somewhere, as you said.

1 hour ago, Veryoldschool said:

Did you watch 2017 & 2018?  Did you process what you saw?  Apparently not, you must think it was merely misfortune that the OL spent most of 2 consecutive seasons on th bench and on crutches. 

The Skins should have drafted like Atlanta did in 2019.

Actually, I did watch both seasons.  I also saw Alex Smith get his leg broken in half, and the need for a QB. And before you cry that the OL was at fault for that, it wasn't.  The running back who shouldn't have even been playing (Marshall) missed the block and Smith got crunched.  Then I saw the backup QB break his leg on a scramble the next game. I saw that there was virtually no pass-rush outside, and that was an issue. I saw basically the only talented veteran WR get injured (Richardson) as well as both the rookie WRs who were supposed to contribute (Quinn and that other guy). I also saw Guice tear his ACL.  I saw AP play with a separated shoulder the entire year.   

You are basically saying that in 2019, we should have ignored everything else and just draft OL.  That's fine if you think that way.  However, they did draft 2 OL players in this draft, including in the 4th and 5th rounds.  That's not ignoring the OL at all.  They spent the first 2 picks of the draft on a QB and possibly the best pass-rushing talent they've had since the 80's.  

Both of those were also needs.  The 3rd round pick went to a WR, which is probably the most talent devoid group on the roster top to bottom.  Doctson should be competing for a roster sport at this point, not a penciled in starter.  Richardson has never been healthy, and coming off an injury also.  Do we really want to line up with Mo Harris and Quinn as the starters there with no depth?  I mean, come on.

4th round was Martin, 5th was the center with the long name.

Last year was Christian in the third.  

Again, all the facts support that the team is consistently drafting OL across the board. But if you want to focus soley on one position group at the exclusion of the others which are as desperate needs as well, then please be my guest.  As I said, there is no reason to let facts get in the way of a good monologue.  

28 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

When exactly should they have drafted an OT this year?  Not draft Haskins?  Not move up to snag Sweat?  Cause anything after that is unsure....so Please..............

No, we should have spent the first 3 picks on OL and rolled with Case, Doctson, Mo Harris, etc.  Because that would have been successful for now and the future. 

18 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

A smart betting man would take the side of Trent Williams having a legitimate beef here.

Actually, a smart betting man would understand there are a ****-ton of levels and layers to this that cannot be known at this time by anyone and that frustration and/or holding out does not increase the validity of an argument. For example, if it is true that Trent wants to be traded due to how medical issues were handled by the Skins' medical staff, that leaves open the possibility of being traded to a team with a medical staff equal to--or even worse than--what he experienced with the Redskins. Of course the typical fanspeak reaction would be "It can't be any worse than here!" which is fine as a funny retort but a smart betting man would never even consider that as evidence of anything...especially with Moses saying that frustrations about how the NFL handles medical issues of players isn't concentrated solely on the Redskins but is league-wide. 

So again, if--IF--Trent is truly frustrated by some mishandling of a medical issue by the Skins medical staff, asking for a trade would seem less an intelligent response and more an emotional one. And if that's the case, it lessens the possibility of him having a legitimate beef. Plus I'm hoping all of us are smart enough to know there's no benefit whatsoever in reaching any conclusion or taking sides right now...none. Whatsoever. So the smart betting man would be smart enough to know he doesn't have to place a bet right this instant lol...he can wait.

21 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Actually, a smart betting man would understand there are a ****-ton of levels and layers to this that cannot be known at this time by anyone and that frustration and/or holding out does not increase the validity of an argument. For example, if it is true that Trent wants to be traded due to how medical issues were handled by the Skins' medical staff, that leaves open the possibility of being traded to a team with a medical staff equal to--or even worse than--what he experienced with the Redskins. Of course the typical fanspeak reaction would be "It can't be any worse than here!" which is fine as a funny retort but a smart betting man would never even consider that as evidence of anything...especially with Moses saying that frustrations about how the NFL handles medical issues of players isn't concentrated solely on the Redskins but is league-wide. 

So again, if--IF--Trent is truly frustrated by some mishandling of a medical issue by the Skins medical staff, asking for a trade would seem less an intelligent response and more an emotional one. And if that's the case, it lessens the possibility of him having a legitimate beef. Plus I'm hoping all of us are smart enough to know there's no benefit whatsoever in reaching any conclusion or taking sides right now...none. Whatsoever. So the smart betting man would be smart enough to know he doesn't have to place a bet right this instant lol...he can wait.

You don’t get to place bets on events after they are over.  Gamblers regularly take into account history when making a bet.  Point being right here today, IF there is a legitimate issue between Trent and the suits in Ashburn, I’m betting on Trent every single time and walking away richer than I started.

On one side you have an elite player, that’s toughed it out here for damn near a decade through a lot of drama, that’s only issue was his love for Mary Jane.

On the other you have the suits who are very far from elite in their field, with a laundry list of issues.

Sure, it’s possible that Trent is just being greedy or dumb, it’s just more likely that’s not the case.

As for how smart he is for demanding a trade or not because there’s a chance he goes somewhere worse.  Take “it can’t be any worse” out of the equation entirely.  If you truly believed that the medical staff paid to take care of you, wronged you and discounted your health, would you be able to trust them any more?  I don’t think there is any choice but to hope the next pasture is greener.

11 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Well, that is a lot of it.  But I think you are taking some credit away from Bellichick, who is one of the best coaches/GMs in his own right.

Agreed, it’s a lot of it. I argue most of it, but either way I don’t think I’m taking any credit away from Belichick. I didn’t even get into how good I think he is, but what I did do was respond to you overplaying what he has to “figure out” and, therefore, how silly it is to ever make the comparisons people make with “what Belichick would do”. 

The organizational benefits Tom Brady brings are so ridiculously significant it makes it damned near impossible to replicate the Patriots in anything. Those advantages are real no matter how good Belichick is or isn’t. 

I think the confusion here lies in the difference of just how much importance you and I place on coaching at the pro level, where you put way more than I do. It’s really a philosophical discussion about Pro Football more than it is about Belichick’s abilities. 

Don't forget, early on with the Pats, before Brady really became Brady, they were still winning superbowls.  Brady was there, but he wasn't what he has become.  A lot of the early success was Bellichick and the defense.

Yeah, definitely disagree with just putting it as “Brady was there”. He was as big a key to everything they did. Yes, their defense and Belichick’s leadership was important, but Brady was ultra efficient. It put them over the top. Definitely wouldn’t say “a lot of their early success” was based on what you think. Maybe equally spread out, at best, but I think most recognized at the time that Brady was pretty special. 

“He wasn’t Brady yet” because no one could know at the time that they were watching the start of the greatest QB in NFL history’s career, so I put little significance into that. And it’s hard to put what his competitiveness and attitude alone did for the team into quantifiable stats, so just because he wasn’t lighting up the league for passing yards at that point wasn’t indicative of much to me. Especially now that we know who Brady is. 

Now, here’s where we converge on Belichick. A significant part of Brady’s success is because Belichick fostered him and developed him properly. So he gets major kudos for that. That is undeniable. How significant it was is arguable and we’ll probably never know, though. 

Here's the other thing: In the superbowl they lost to the Eagles, their best cover corner, Malcolm Butler, for what turned out to be some type of rules violation.  Is that why they lost the SB?  Maybe not, but when you bench one of your best players for the SB because of a rules violation, it shows that you are willing to sacrifice short term for long term accountability.  

That's what I was getting at.  Now, since I wrote the post, the entire story changed, and it has little if anything to do with money, so my initial post doesn't really hold true regardless.  

And my entire point is it becomes so easy to have “long term accountability” and it’s easy to establish this type of culture when you look over behind Center and it’s TOM FRIGGIN BRADY. I even said it in my post. Brady helps the Pats in countless ways. It’s not just about playing QB. The above that you pointed out is one thing I specifically mentioned regarding culture building. 

The notion that Belichick is this incomparable genius who simply NOONE can emulate drives me nuts. The biggest reason he can’t be emulated is BECAUSE OF TOM BRADY. 

I’m 100% convinced that had Jay done the exact same thing you mentioned here and lost a Super Bowl for it you’d be posting 10 times per minute about how utterly stupid he is. I’m not even exaggerating. That is how much you’d post about it. I don’t care what you tell me, you would. 

Belichick has so much more leeway because of Brady and because of what they’ve accomplished in the past. It’s like an avalanche of culture establishing that gained momentum with every pass Brady threw in his career. He CAN do that kind of thing without losing the entire locker room. He can get away with more mistakes than anyone else in the league because Brady will compensate. Who is going to dare rebel in that environment? And STILL, even then, there were reports that people within the locker room were divided. 

It is not a coincidence that every coach that has tried to establish the so-called “Patriot Way” elsewhere ended up failing. You need Tom Brady who’s going to give you a previously unheard of amount of organizational advantages. 

Belichick can be the greatest coach ever, I don’t really care to argue that point (I will go to bat for Gibbs on this because he won it all three times without the comfort of one elite QB). But I will adamantly remain on my belief, with tons of evidence and clear examples behind it, that it simply doesn’t matter how good a coach is if the organization itself isn’t up to par (or you don’t have Tom Brady to make it so). Belichick is not going to be nearly as successful establishing what he’s established anywhere else without Brady or, at least, someone that comes somewhat near his greatness. 

I’m not too fond of putting this into numbers because it’s never going to be exactly quantifiable and I even slightly fluctuate myself here and there... but I’ve come to divide the percentages attributed to consistent team win-loss record at the pro level like this:

General Player Personnel: 50% 

Coaching: 30%

QB: 20% 

Side note: This is ONLY at the pro level. The further removed you get from the NFL (where you have a salary cap, a draft, and finite roster space, which makes resource management vital), the more coaching itself matters. At the pee wee level, for instance, everybody is getting the kids in their area for the most part. There is little to no choosing. The best coaches will succeed more often than not. But, even then, if one team has a ridiculously good player it’s usually over for everyone. :ols: 

Back to the above distribution of

percentages. 

You can be the greatest coach ever and be filling that entire percentage up, but if the personnel acquisition is not up to par it won’t matter a whole lot. If the resource management and team-building strategy is, say, at a 10% level, the QB skill is at a 10% level and the coaching is at the full 30%... that’s still just 50% total, so

you’ll be average on the field over an extended period of time. That is essentially with a HOF level coach leading the way. I believe we saw something resembling the above distribution during Gibbs 2.0, give or take. 

If the general player personnel acquired are, say, top level (but not perfect) at 40% in terms of talent and cohesion (roster with numerous elite players, a bunch of other good players that complement each other’s skill sets, and avoids redundancy in skill sets so as to be as adaptable and flexible as necessary), the QB skill is at the full 20% (HOF level play), and the coaching adds little at 5% you’d STILL win about 65% of the time. The coach would essentially have to actively sabotage the roster and game plan... he’d have to be a net negative to lose. Like, someone just off the street that has no idea about football. And even then the locker room might overcome his idiocy and make enough plays on their own. :ols: 

Now, that applies to everyone in a normal organizational setup, but then when you apply it to the Pats... Brady even adds more value to that formula at QB because he takes a percentage of coaching himself AND helps with the general player acquisition. 

So, for the Pats it looks something like this, give or take: 

Brady: Full 20% QB skill + 7.5% Coaching ability + 7.5% general player personnel (due to cap space relief he willingly provides them) = 35% 

Belichick is in charge of coaching and player acquisition, so even if he’s just average in both of those categories they’re going to win 70%+ of their games with that kind of help from Brady. And that’s pretty much what they do. Heck, let’s say he’s providing the full 22.5% of coaching ability with Brady helping on offense like he does at 7.5%... if Belichick adds no value in terms of the rest of the personnel acquisition he’s still going to end up with an above average record (57.5%). But he’s better than that, which is why they’re better than above average. 

There is no analogous situation in the NFL to the Pats. What Brady gives them, what he frees up for the organization in terms of resource and time management, is simply astounding.

It’s unprecedented. And it likely will stay that way because:

1) He’s married to someone who has generational wealth that even exceeds his own;

2) He’s played for so long and gotten paid at a high level for so long that it made it easier to take that route, and finally;

3) He just might be getting something under the table in terms of him and Kraft being in business together. There is certainly evidence of it:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/report-patriots-pay-a-brady-owned-company-run-by-suspect-partner/

So, yeah, it’s unlikely we’ll ever see something to this level again. And it’s why I can’t help but chuckle whenever anyone says “what would Belichick do”. 

5 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Exactly.  Ever since the Hogs fans like @Veryoldschool have been obsessed with drafting OL.  It's as if they want the first round pick on an OL every single draft.   We all know how important they are, but there are always other needs. As posted earlier they have spent plenty of picks on OL over the last decade, they just did not do a good enough job of finding backups in the mid rounds when most teams are loaded with mid-round back ups (and starters) who can play.  

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s the thing though, we literally have no idea what has transpired between the team and Trent.  Perhaps the team has known and it merely became a public issue because of the timing.  Perhaps Trent recently got information that makes him feel this way.  We have no idea.

What we do know is that the franchise pro bowl mainstay that’s been lauded for being a great leader is at odds with the team over something.

If this was an issue that was known to the team then they would have made it an issue in the draft. And if there is any truth to the rumor that he felt disrespected because we drafted Geron last year then I don’t know what to say.

22 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

If this was an issue that was known to the team then they would have made it an issue in the draft. And if there is any truth to the rumor that he felt disrespected because we drafted Geron last year then I don’t know what to say.

How do you know they would have made it an issue before the draft?  Since when has Bruce and gang ever really shown to be forward thinkers?

Also the Geron Christian thing was something floated by a poster here, not something I’ve read anywhere else.  I agree with you, that if Trent was really worried about him, I don’t know what to say either.

17 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Why is this board still riding the death to Allen mantra. The man has pulled 3 phenomenal drafts out of his ass in a row. What more do you want? It’s nauseating. 

Because Bruce Allen is basically an Appendix.  An unnecessary growth that is only in the system because of outdated genes rather than any functional use. 

He doesn't actually contribute anything meaningful, the team body wouldn't function any differently if he was removed, and fans spend all their time hoping he won't puff himself up and poison the rest of the system.

You can be the greatest coach ever and be filling that entire percentage up, but if the personnel acquisition is not up to par it won’t matter a whole lot. If the resource management and team-building strategy is, say, at a 10% level, the QB skill is at a 10% level and the coaching is at the full 30%... that’s still just 50% total, so

you’ll be average on the field over an extended period of time. That is essentially with a HOF level coach leading the way. I believe we saw something resembling the above distribution during Gibbs 2.0, give or take. 

The outlier to this is, of course, the scab year. Gibbs was able to coach up and chess-up, off the street nobodies and beat a team stuffed with Probowlers and future HOFers. To an extent, Gibbs II showed that Joe was so good that even far removed from the game and with a crap Vinny-built roster he could guide a team to the playoffs twice. That's extraordinary. Shanny, Gruden, etc. would have taken the same teams to a 7-9 ceiling at best and probably a 4-12 season.

That said, 30% isn't an unfair number. I think Gibbs at his best was worth a two letter grade jump. I think a crap coach can be lifted a grade or two by an elite roster.

While there is time to make amends with Trent, I am now wondering if its not best to pull a Bellichek and ban him. It's probably a two pronged grievance he has: team first doctors pissing him off, and after doing a big for the team and re-negotiating his contract in 2015 for us, he wants round 2 of that - so he thinks this is his time to take a stand.

Cooley was dating Mary if he said Jeron could have played last year.  I had never seen a tackle get air lifted before.  And then he gets his knee blown up early in his first series of his first start... so he more could have been a 6th OL that goes out on 4th and 1.  By all accounts he was a project last year likely still is. Has Jeron healed up, and holding his own in camp this year?   We obviously need him but no news on him, is not good news.  We should be hearing right now about anyone that can play tackle for us. And indeed we did hear some good news. 

It was high time to fire up the ole 67 Catalina, and she started right up and stuffed our shiny new OLB yesterday.

DSC_0578-002-e1506540823904-940x648.jpg

14 hours ago, max21 said:

A lot of our injuries last year were just really unlucky, JJ watt falling on top of you or Guice tearing his ACL has nothing to do with the training staff. 

How about needing 3 different surgeries and having a recovery time 44% longer than league average to come back from those injuries?  I'd say that's on the medical staff...

25 minutes ago, Reaper Skins said:

Because Bruce Allen is basically an Appendix.  An unnecessary growth that is only in the system because of outdated genes rather than any functional use. 

He doesn't actually contribute anything meaningful, the team body wouldn't function any differently if he was removed, and fans spend all their time hoping he won't puff himself up and poison the rest of the system.

that's old science.

My thoughts:

-You don't wake up overnight and decide, after being around all off-season, that you're now upset with the way the team handled your medical situation during the 2018/19 season.

-Trent waited to say anything for leverage. This could be due to any number of reasons: 1) He really wants out unless they show him the money, 2) He wants to make a point about the team's medical staff, but he doesn't really want out, so he waited until the team would have a hard time replacing him to release this (and wants more money, too), 3) He wanted this to really hurt and he really does want out. Not sure which, if any of those it is, those are early thoughts.

-If Trent REALLY is upset with the team to such a high degree, moving on from him is much better than having a negative presence in the locker room. This team, of all teams, doesn't need that. Not with a rookie QB in the fold. Yes, whoever we replace him with is going to be a piss poor replacement. But the TEAM and FUTURE may be better without Williams if he is really that upset.

-We don't know much at this point. But the team needs to be highly invested in this and make the best decision for the team.

Archived