Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree with you about trading Trent for a first, but I would be careful about banking on a draft class having solutions for you when we're this far away from it.  That's too much like counting your chickens before they hatch.  For all we know this draft could break in a way where we don't get anybody good at tackle, either because the class ends up not being as strong as we hoped, or the good tackles go before we pick, the good tackles get injured, or the guy we end up getting is a developmental project and not ready to go early, etc.

Like you i am a BPA guy on the draft thread.  And I don't really bank on anything.  It's about playing the odds.

A.  Trent is 31 with an injury history.  Even if he stays what are the odds we got a healthy Trent for 16 games a season?  IMO the odds are low.

B.  What are the odds that Trent's trade value increases as he ages?  Very low.

C.  Are the odds decent that it will be a good draft at LT?  Yes.

But regardless, they can sign a LT in FA for all I care.  I just like their chances for improving their team with two first round picks and maybe change.  I don't think Trent is a key part to this team's future.  It wouldn't shock me as he gets deeper into his 30s that instead of missing 4 games a season, it's like 6.  With Ty we were able to handle those missed games by Trent.  But if Trent misses 4-6 games a season then it takes its toll.  How many teams have killer backups at tackle?

If Trent was an ironman like Kerrigan maybe my position on this would be softer. 

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I agree with you about trading Trent for a first, but I would be careful about banking on a draft class having solutions for you when we're this far away from it.  That's too much like counting your chickens before they hatch.  For all we know this draft could break in a way where we don't get anybody good at tackle, either because the class ends up not being as strong as we hoped, or the good tackles go before we pick, the good tackles get injured, or the guy we end up getting is a developmental project and not ready to go early, etc.

Agreed.

There's a reason Houston gave up so much for Tunsil. Because OL, even "elite" ones in college aren't a sure thing. For every Garrett Bolles or Ryan Ramzcyk there's a Cam Robinson, Robert Gallery, Flowers, DJ Humphries etc. 

29 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

So after listening its good to hear he's ready to go immediately.

I also wonder about the fact Trent didn't "want to cost someone their job".  If I was misdiagnosed on something as serious as possible cancer I would not only want them fired but I would find it to be borderline criminal.

It's sounding like maybe Trent just wanted to go to a contender or it is all about the money, otherwise, why would you have compassion for someone who pencil whipped your diagnosis, it doesn't make sense.

I agree.  My doctor and proctologist both missed stage IV cancer in me last year.  (Cancer free now by the Grace of God)  But I didn't fault them for it.  We didn't know until an infection I got from feeding the neighbor's dogs made my spleen swell up and put me in the hospital.  I don't see how Trent can be mad at the medical staff for not being trained oncologists.  That's not what they're there for.  I'm sure if he was worried about the growth on his head all he had to do was ask for a referral; like any one of us would do.  This whole fiasco seems like it's really about the money.  

9 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

I agree.  My doctor and proctologist both missed stage IV cancer in me last year.  (Cancer free now by the Grace of God)  But I didn't fault them for it.  We didn't know until an infection I got from feeding the neighbor's dogs made my spleen swell up and put me in the hospital.  

Glad to hear you're healthy, been there done that as well, as of last month I'm 2 years clean.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Trent may have fancied a move to NE. Can't see the Texans ever being that appealing even though that's where he's from. They are hardly a well run outfit. 

Would be moving from one **** storm to another....

What? They haven't won anything major, but they've had 5 first-place finishes in the 9 years since Trent entered the league. They've also finished with a winning record in 6 of the 9 seasons. They had one horrible year (2-14 in 2013) but otherwise would be comfortably a winning team in his time as a professional football player. 

They are nothing approaching our status as a **** storm. 

3 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

What? They haven't won anything major, but they've had 5 first-place finishes in the 9 years since Trent entered the league. They've also finished with a winning record in 6 of the 9 seasons. They had one horrible year (2-14 in 2013) but otherwise would be comfortably a winning team in his time as a professional football player. 

They are nothing approaching our status as a **** storm. 

Wild...

Skins outplayed them and loss in a close one last year. 

8 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

He may have greater ambitions than being part of a comfortably winning team that in effect hasn't really won anything. That was my point in reference to the Texans and NE alternatives.

The **** storm point, true I suppose. Fingers crossed they keep their QB healthy and on the field for the next two seasons. Not much coming in the draft.

So here’s a question:  let’s say Bruce just decides there’s no point in trading Trent because it won’t make the 2019 team any better.  Further, let’s assume Trent isn’t an idiot and reports in week 10 so this year counts, and he’s not still in the “2 years left on the deal” situation.  (For those unfamiliar, if a player sits out the entire season, the season is voided essentially and the same contract year is repeated. If they return by week 10, the year counts, and the player receives a prorated portion of their salary)

So lets say Trent shows up, however he still wants a trade.  It’s even possible the Skins don’t play Trent when he does show up, think about what the Bucks did to Keyshawn all those years ago. 

So next offseason, Does Trent’s trade value go up or down if they trade him with 1 year year left on his contract?

Because the longer this goes, that scenario becomes more and more likely.

35 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Let's not forget that Houston is the best professional football team in Texas :)  I will never get tired of the fact that Jerrah wanted them for their first game and lost!

What are the key dates to know?

The NFL trade deadline is Oct. 29. But Washington will need some team in the midst of a good season to have a desperate need at tackle. Then, perhaps, the Redskins could coax a first-round pick in return.

Otherwise, the next key week starts Nov. 18. In order for Williams to have an accrued season, he must be on the roster for six or more games; on that date, Washington will have six games remaining. If Williams is on the roster for fewer than six games, his contract would roll over. If Williams still has two more years left on his contract, he'd be easier to trade in the offseason. If the Redskins don't get a strong offer before the deadline, and if Williams doesn't report, this could be Washington's best option. The Redskins likely would receive only a draft pick in return regardless of when they trade, so there's no rush. They'd have a better chance to shop Williams once teams see what the draft might hold.

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/38922/why-redskins-stalemate-with-trent-williams-might-linger

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So here’s a question:  let’s say Bruce just decides there’s no point in trading Trent because it won’t make the 2019 team any better.  Further, let’s assume Trent isn’t an idiot and reports in week 10 so this year counts, and he’s not still in the “2 years left on the deal” situation.  (For those unfamiliar, if a player sits out the entire season, the season is voided essentially and the same contract year is repeated. If they return by week 10, the year counts, and the player receives a prorated portion of their salary)

So lets say Trent shows up, however he still wants a trade.  It’s even possible the Skins don’t play Trent when he does show up, think about what the Bucks did to Keyshawn all those years ago. 

So next offseason, Does Trent’s trade value go up or down if they trade him with 1 year year left on his contract?

Because the longer this goes, that scenario becomes more and more likely.

If he returned for the final 6 games to get his accrued season I believe if say he was suspended for a game the year wouldn't count.  So if Bruce really wanted to be a **** they'd suspend him 1 game for "violating team rules."  Which Trent would file a grievance and things would really get ugly. 

As for his trade value I can't see it being any better then what could of happened last week.  Maybe a playoff contender would throw a 1st at Bruce before the trade deadline but after that I think odds of getting a 1st after the season is slim.   

Can I float something out there? this is a conspiracy theory but I want to know from others what the possibility of this scenario is:

Trent smokes up during the off season

Trent: oh ****, I might fail a drug screening, plus, forget all this training camp stuff, I hate going to that

what if I tell Bruce that if I report, I might get popped and I'm out for the season

what if I "hold out" until 1) training camp/preseason is over and 2) I'm not at risk to fail the drug test

Trent's agent: yea, but we can't tell anyone that's why you're holding out, what if we use your health scare to gin up sympathy, and who knows, we could ask for more money in the process?

Trent: Dope! (no pun intended)

8 minutes ago, WeThreeKingsRuleU said:

Can I float something out there? this is a conspiracy theory but I want to know from others what the possibility of this scenario is:

Trent: oh ****, I might fail a drug screening, plus, forget all this training camp stuff, I hate going to that

what if I tell Bruce that if I report, I might get popped and I'm out for the season

what if I "hold out" until 1) training camp/preseason is over and 2) I'm not at risk to fail the drug test

Trent's agent: yea, but we can't tell anyone that's why you're holding out, what if we use your health scare to gin up sympathy, and who knows, we could ask for more money in the process?

I believe if your under contract with the NFL, they can randomly check at any time. He would still be suspended if he were to refuse. Just my guess.

10 minutes ago, WeThreeKingsRuleU said:

you're far from the first to suggest it and as long as he's playing in the NFL if doesn't matter what his status with his team is

2 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

I agree.  My doctor and proctologist both missed stage IV cancer in me last year.  (Cancer free now by the Grace of God)  But I didn't fault them for it.  We didn't know until an infection I got from feeding the neighbor's dogs made my spleen swell up and put me in the hospital.  I don't see how Trent can be mad at the medical staff for not being trained oncologists.  That's not what they're there for.  I'm sure if he was worried about the growth on his head all he had to do was ask for a referral; like any one of us would do.  This whole fiasco seems like it's really about the money.  

Glad to hear you've come out on the good end of that.

I just had my colonoscopy { 5 years too late }, luckily I was given a clean bill of health, but I can't figure out why there was an empty bottle of scotch by my bed...😕

If the DeAngelo's take is true, I can't help but to think Trent is reading the tea leaves around the league. No player is getting what they want nowadays. They're either holding out or getting traded. You got some of the best players in the league holding out with what seems to be no leverage (as far as ownership is concerned). You got Zeke, Julio, Gordon, Trent, Clowney and there may be more. But nobody is able to pull off the old #8 play. That **** ain't ever happening again it seems.

Archived