Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

I think the organization should  try to bump his salary up this year in order to make him happy. With plans to work on a extension.

Next draft the Skins should draft his replacement and trade him. 

We need him this year for sure. After that I'd make sure to get the next 10 year LT. Skins have been pretty good at drafting tackles in my opinion. So time to hit on another one. 

As fans I think we always default to being on the side of management. So many people want to cut any underperforming player, but as soon as someone wants a raise or more guaranteed money we freak out as if it will personally cost us something. 

For some reason we get mad at the millionaire athletes only to try to save money for the billionaire owner. 

Hypothetically will paying Trent, a career Redskin who's given a lot to this team and fanbase, an extra $2-4M a season and more guaranteed money really impact anything? Maybe the next time we swing and miss in free agency we'll have less cap space, so the signing won't be as bad? 

Seriously though, if you are going to give a pump up to anyone why not someone who's went to war for the team for multiple contracts? 

7 minutes ago, Unbias said:

As fans I think we always default to being on the side of management. So many people want to cut any underperforming player, but as soon as someone wants a raise or more guaranteed money we freak out as if it will personally cost us something. 

For some reason we get mad at the millionaire athletes only to try to save money for the billionaire owner. 

Hypothetically will paying Trent, a career Redskin who's given a lot to this team and fanbase, an extra $2-4M a season and more guaranteed money really impact anything? Maybe the next time we swing and miss in free agency we'll have less cap space, so the signing won't be as bad? 

Seriously though, if you are going to give a pump up to anyone why not someone who's went to war for the team for multiple contracts? 

To play devil's advocate with you and myself really, I think it's the timing that bothers people. 1) He still has two years left on his deal where he's still top 10 paid at his position, where, if you factor in the amount of games he misses actually makes him the highest paid per game. And 2) he waited until the team has no choice. There is no one left in FA, the draft has gone and the guys we brought in haven't exactly cemented their place even though it is early. 

57 minutes ago, Unbias said:

I could give two ****s about saving Snyder money. I care about the salary cap. And, yes. An extra 2-4 million a year makes an enormous difference. Add 4 million per year to our offer to CJ Mosely, and we probably have a top 3 defense in the NFL this year, even after losing Foster. 

This is a bit of a bummer but hopefully we could give him a little bump, nothing super big or long term.  We can work the cap and make it happen.  Also emphasizes the need to get Scherff done.  But if he wants something ridiculous, then you hold firm and see what you can get for him via trade.  If it's something you can't pass up then you pull the trigger. But my money is on an short term extension with a little more guaranteed.   I would be sure to not overpay.  He definitely has us in a tight spot, I hope he remains reasonable because if he has unrealistic demands, we wait him out and def explore the market. 

44 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I could give two ****s about saving Snyder money. I care about the salary cap. And, yes. An extra 2-4 million a year makes an enormous difference. Add 4 million per year to our offer to CJ Mosely, and we probably have a top 3 defense in the NFL this year, even after losing Foster. 

Historically when we spend a lot of money in free agency are we any better? For me it's your Deion/Norman/Haynesworth type deals. Maybe a trade for Alex Smith and a massive extension? I think those moves do a lot more for jersey sales then they do for the product on the field. 

When have we (or any team for that matter) won by over spending on what players did in another teams jersey? How often have we seen drafted and developed players walk over there being no cap space left? 

I'm not saying anyone that wants more money should get it, but there are certain players that have paid their dues. If you are going to do it Williams has the resume: Multiple probowls, has been dominant, did everything as a Redskin, hasn't went public with team griping and the next deal would ensure he's a career Skin. 

Personally it's best to build from within and add players on 'prove it's type deals. If they succeed then you pay them. If the free agency market makes that player too expensive you get compensatory picks. 

8 minutes ago, Unbias said:

Historically when we spend a lot of money in free agency are we any better? For me it's your Deion/Norman/Haynesworth type deals. Maybe a trade for Alex Smith and a massive extension?

I think our bigger signings have often been our better signings. Desean Jackson. Josh Norman. You list Josh Norman as a negative, but, how much better ia he than McClain/McGee. Those are the small, wasteful signings that have more recently been poisoning FA. Deion and Haynesworth were ages ago, under a different regime. Occasionally we have made a bargain signing that has been good. Swearinger was great. But, most of our cheap signings have been crap. 

To be clear, I'm not in favor of over spending. I'd just rather have a young, healthy player on too big a contract over Williams, on too big a contract. Trent has been awesome. I wouldn't be stunned to see him retired in a year or two. 

I think the timing is kind of sucky but I think Trent should be paid and I think his recent health scare might have solidified things for him, in terms of priorities. His cap figure right now is (only) in the 14 mil level and that's the kind of OG bracket branden is kind of looking at. Any new contract though needs a get out window in a couple of seasons as we look for his successor 

I’m taking it is capital punishment if you set up an offshore account and pay players with gifts or unseen money. I’ve always wondered and thought this went on in certain situations but hey it’s 3 in the morning and I’m here.

Give Trent a permanent stay on the bosses super yacht with a full time hibachi crew throwing him shrimp all day.

Trents a warrior and deserves his Snyder money.

Trent hasn't played a full season since 2013 and he is about to turn 31 so no reason to believe this situation won't continue.   Giving him an extension while he's still under contract would be crazy. But not as crazy as going into the season with Christian and Flowers as your backup OTs with no clue who will be the starting LG.    What another fine mess the Redskins find themselves in.  

6 hours ago, Unbias said:

While I agree many fans do this, I can tell you I rarely side with the team. They are utterly ruthless with the players. And once they re done with them they cast them aside. These guys only have a limited time to make thier money. 

For me the difference here has nothing to do with siding with the team. It's the reality that he has not played a ful season in the last 6 and will be 31 this year, and he has 2 yrs on his contract. 

But I would like to know what he is looking for. Can they make the next two season guaranteed (right now only about $2M of the remaining $23.5M is guaranteed) and add a 3rd yr with injury outs or incentives? If so, then just do it. 

If he is looking for a ground breaking top player deal then I would call his bluff. The team is likely moving on in the next few years anyway. If they have to start early you may find a guy surprises you. If not, use the draft to get a top OT next year. I don't think he will sit out the season. But maybe he is willing to do that. Not a lot of players out there that have sat out a year then come back and been dominant. Not saying it doesn't happen. But it's rare. In the end he would hurt his own market. better to play it out. 

The coach thinks hes the best tackle in football. And if the GM agrees then I think they should give him the cheese. You pay a premium for premium talent and it would be hard to out your new QB on the field behind whatever we have as his backup. 

It is a dick move though imo. Yea you gotta take your shots and its a business. But damn did they use this situation to their advantage to **** the team over. I would replace his ass fast if I thought I could. But I know I cant. 

5 hours ago, bedlamVR said:

I think the timing is kind of sucky but I think Trent should be paid 

I think this is what is galling. Trent is being paid. He's being paid handsomely, absorbitantly. This isn't the case of a guy who isn't being paid market value. His contract is still top five. It's tough to figure out what he's worth because he plays hurt so much of the season and hasn't finished six seasons in a row. When he plays he is still among the best, but even then when Ty Nshke came in the drop off wasn't that huge. OTOH, we have no tackle depth. There is no one on this year's squad who can replace him or even step into his shoes. Coupled to that is the fact that because of Alex Smith, the Redskins have much less cap space to build a team.

Frankly, I don't think Trent has earned a new contract and I think he is on the down slope. Problem is, they need him.

I keep seeing talk about the timing of this but it’s entirely possible the team has known Trent wanted a new deal prior to now and nothing transpired, so here we are.  The “or trade me” part leads me to believe there is probably more to it than $ as well.  Dude is getting up there in age, been injured, and has no guaranteed money after the upcoming season.  No doubt in my mind these conversations didn’t just start yesterday.

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I keep seeing talk about the timing of this but it’s entirely possible the team has known Trent wanted a new deal prior to now and nothing transpired, so here we are.  The “or trade me” part leads me to believe there is probably more to it than $ as well.  Dude is getting up there in age, been injured, and has no guaranteed money after the upcoming season.  No doubt in my mind these conversations didn’t just start yesterday.

This is all fair. You can add that we don;t know what he wants. And the trade me part feels a like maybe he was asking already and they were ignoring him. 

However, we can only react to what we know, And all we know right now is that from appearances this is pretty sudden and at a crappy time for the team when we should be most optimistic and have the least amount of drama. 

I think I know why Trent is Bent

He did us a favor and restructured his contract in 2015.  Often, teams highest paid players do that to make cap circumvention as easy as signing a piece of paper.

Now, he feels it is time we do him a favor. I bet he watched Lev Bell welcomed back into the league with open arms, so he doesn't feel much risk. Kirk going to bat to screw us and set the QB FA bar as high as possible may have been a factor as well. Maybe Trent hates Dan and friends, who knows.

We can easily restructure contracts to make whatever Trent wants fit under the cap.   We are ****ed without him for his 10-12 healthy games this year. If folks think Brandon is a bad tackle, watch and see how Flowers and Christian look. I am still a bit miffed we took a total project in Christian.  With our consistent injuries at tackle, drafting a project tackle in the 3rd was a very short sighted move - a 6th, sure whatever. Christian seems slated to be a backup again this year. I still remember him getting airborne in his ~first snap last year.  I have never seen an OL that high up in the air in pass pro.  Maybe stashing him on the PS/IR is what is best for our OL this year.

Seems like they should be able to tack on a year to his contract and add like $15M of value.  They could adjust the payout so his cap hit actually goes down this year.  Add one more year of control... make a decent part guaranteed money so he gets a fat paycheck this year...

Amounts to 3yr/38.5M deal... seems fair...

Great.  Just when he stopped taking all those false starts.

Maybe we should try and trade for Ty, who appears slated to remain a backup in Buffalo.  The premium we had to pay to retain Ty, will likely now go to Trent.  Welp, at least this helps Dwayne learn what its like to roll out to his right on every play.  Talk about learning feet to fire.... fires are never hotter than for a QB with no LT.

Hate to see one of your team leaders pull a dick move like this but I guess this was a business decision he and his agent felt they needed to make for whatever reason. If this doesn't end up going his way, I wonder what other "business decisions" he'll make during the season when the inevitable nagging injuries kick in.

9 hours ago, Unbias said:

It's not about saving money for the owner it's about the salary cap and overall impact to the team's ability to round out the roster.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Personally, I don't care if he has wanted a new deal for a while.  He was happy with the deal he signed in 2015, in my opinion, he needs to live up to that deal and start negotiations next year.

As we all know, he is one of the best LT in the NFL, but he is on the wrong side of 30, with a lot of missed games, and one toke away from being suspended for en entire year.  I love me some Trent, he's a total warrior, but I find it a bit hard to get misty when he demand a trade at the beginning of year 4 of 5, when we are in cap hell, after all the missed games, and after the draft.

I'd offer a 1 year, incentive laden extension with injury outs.  We'll be past the Smith contract debacle by then and have some more cap space, hopefully.

Call his bluff, how many teams will pay an oft injured 31 year old top 3 money? He currently has a great contract  and has missed multiple games with injuries and suspensions.  The whole pay me or trade me thing doesn’t work.

Archived