Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

I haven't been able to read through the whole thread, so three questions:

1)  Did we actually make an offer?  It sounded like Bruce did something, but I didn't find anything.

2)  Has anyone mentioned what a leader Williams is in the locker room?  I'm sure he gets a comment or two about weed, but it's not just a drop off at LT; it's the loss of the only homegrown on the offensive side of the ball (Kerrigan on the other), and we're just dealing him?  He also has powered through extremely painful injuries when there was a hope for the playoffs.  And if HE has problems with the med staff, then you don't think he's the Lorax speaking for the trees?  Come on, now.

3)  Why do people think that signing someone older, even as a stopgap, helps us at all?  If you want a top tackle, then your team has to trade up or lose.  He was the fourth overall pick in 2010.  FOURTH.  Prior to that?  Chris Samuels who was the SECOND overall pick.  You just don't hit on tackles of that caliber later in the draft with much success.  Hell, Flowers was tenth overall I think (and LOL because they wanted Scherff and we said hell no, Mara).  And he's a turnstyle.

I've read in a plethora of posts something along the lines of "who cares, just find someone else if he doesn't want to be here.  As if someone else is just waiting out there.  Top tackles are locked up.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Wes Martin.

And he's not doin a whole lot better.

You could literally make up names and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  That's how far we are from having a real tackle.

32 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If there's one blessing in this, with O-line hurting and our D-line full of beasts, then Haskins is having to throw under pressure, which is a good thing to get used to, for NFL opponents.

As long as we can get that LT reasonably patched up by Game 1.

Im going to have to disagree there, I think it would be an absolute disaster and worst case scenario for Haskins to have to be throwing under pressure his rookie year.  We have seen countless 1st round QBs expected to be the future just get pummeled and end up shell shocked, and be gone in 3 years.  Every player that comes to the NFL talks about how much faster it is than they expected.  The last thing we want is a rookie QB when everything is too fast getting drilled by 300lb linemen over and over again.

What you want is the opposite, a first year where he hardly gets pressured, and can learn to read defensive backfields and coverages, before he gets thrown into the fire and defensive fronts start to collapse on him and he has to make decisions under duress.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this statement by Gruden:

"We'll have workouts throughout the course of the season with guys and keep them on a 'hot-list' just in case something happens,"

Throughout the course of the season says to me that Williams won't be hear for the while if at all. I'm actually thinking Trent is seeking to be traded to thinking he can get a ring before he hangs up the cleats.

First up, I'd be pretty gutted to see Trent leave. He should be a Redskins lifer. Plus, I'm in the mindset to offer a contract increase...but only a marginal one...so with that said, I'm bored with this situation now. He should be here now.

So, if he wants out, trade him. 

We're clearly overhauling. QB, RB/WR, interior OL, best guess the 2020 draft is stacked at OT. We should be picking one.

I'd like the guy from the Vikings, Reiff, via trade...but that's pointless if the plan is to draft one on 2020. So, looks like Robinson is the camp body until we try to break through with Trent. If that's dead, Trent out and Penn in for one season. 

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So NFL Rule says

Aug 6th Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency. So if Trent doesn't report..do we have rights on him 2019,2020 and 2021 since he didn't get an accrual? His 2 year contract is now a 3 year hold on his career?

Well it didn't affect Bell last year. So I doubt this is anything. 

Kinda hard to wrap your brain around the fact they actually went into camp with their top 2 options at LG being the worst tackle they could find and a 4th rd pick. A well regarded 4th rd pick, but a middle rd pick nonetheless.  Solid plan.  

But I gotta cut Martin some slack.  I'll reserve judgement until I see him against some competition in the preseason.  

3 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Is it the same situation?  Bell was franchise tagged but never signed the 1-yr tender agreement.  So the Steelers controlled his rights for the season but he wasn't technically under contract.   

9 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

3)  Why do people think that signing someone older, even as a stopgap, helps us at all?  If you want a top tackle, then your team has to trade up or lose.  He was the fourth overall pick in 2010.  FOURTH.  Prior to that?  Chris Samuels who was the SECOND overall pick.  You just don't hit on tackles of that caliber later in the draft with much success.  Hell, Flowers was tenth overall I think (and LOL because they wanted Scherff and we said hell no, Mara).  And he's a turnstyle.

Not that it changes your point (which is valid), but I'd point out Chris Samuels was taken 3rd overall.

2 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Bell was never under contract, so his situation was different

4 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So NFL Rule says

Aug 6th Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency. So if Trent doesn't report..do we have rights on him 2019,2020 and 2021 since he didn't get an accrual? His 2 year contract is now a 3 year hold on his career?

Interesting question. It does appear to have an "accured season", a player needs to meet two main rules: (1) be on full pay status for six or more regular season games; and (2) if under contract already, report to  such  Club at least thirty days prior to the first regular season game of that season. There's a bit more details that can be found here: https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/General/2011_Final_CBA_Searchable_Bookmarked.pdf. The main question is if there is a difference between an Accrued Seasons and a contract season. Which is a very technical argument, but possibly an important one. Trent doesn't need any more years to become a free agent. So generally speaking, Trent doesn't care about accruing seasons. What Trent cares about are the last two years on his contract. What we really need to know is if his contract tolls/rolls over for not qualifying for an accrued season? And I don't know the answer to that.

8 hours ago, joeken24 said:

"We'll have workouts throughout the course of the season with guys and keep them on a 'hot-list' just in case something happens,"

Throughout the course of the season says to me that Williams won't be hear for the while if at all. I'm actually thinking Trent is seeking to be traded to thinking he can get a ring before he hangs up the cleats.

Considering the staggering amount of injuries the Skins have had for the last two seasons, I'd be bothered if they did NOT take this approach lol...but seriously, I assume this is their default course of action every year, and for every team as well.

4 hours ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

So NFL Rule says

Aug 6th Deadline for players under contract to report to their clubs to earn an accrued season for free agency. So if Trent doesn't report..do we have rights on him 2019,2020 and 2021 since he didn't get an accrual? His 2 year contract is now a 3 year hold on his career.

Trent has already accrued enough seasons to qualify for unrestricted free agency whenever his contract is up.

2 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Trent has already accrued enough seasons to qualify for unrestricted free agency whenever his contract is up.

Right. But the year won't toll on his contract if he doesn't report eventually. Which means he's stuck for an extra year, if it gets to that point. Right? 

15 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I think this is pretty much Standard Operating Procedure anyway, right?

They are always working out players during the season. i remember a few years ago they worked out JaMarcus russell in October and everyone went nuts.

~Bang

15 hours ago, joeken24 said:

Let me answer this more directly - Yes, you reading entirely too much into this statement. This is what every team in the NFL does every off season to prepare for potential injuries. That is one of the multiple reasons you get 90 guys in camp. It's not just to have players to play against and find talent. The guys that may not make the team now, may be able to help you later. This way they will have been through your camp. They know the playbook, at least to some extent. 

Are they preparing for TW not coming in? Of course they are. How stupid would they be to ignore it. But its nothing different than preparing for if he gets injured. You have to have plan B, C, D, and in our case last yr plans E, F and G. 

Not directed at you, but this is something Jay and the coaches actually do a pretty good job of but do not get enough credit. They have guys ready to play when there are injuries. But when you have to pull guys off the street to start because all your backup options are also injured, like Jonathon Cooper last yr - who also ended up getting injured - it becomes insurmountable. Yet Cooper came in a did and pretty fair job considering he came off the street. 

Archived