• Blog Entries

    • By Destino in ES Coverage
         1
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

      Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   
       
      My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  
       
      Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  
       
      Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 
       
      The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  
       
      The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 
       
      1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.
       
      Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  
       
      Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?
       
      2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

      Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

      The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 
       
      3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 
       
      I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

      4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 
       
      Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 
       
      TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 
       
      The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 
       
      End of Game.
       
      Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:
       
      1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.
       
      Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

       
       

       
       
       
       
       
Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Recommended Posts

I’m surprised Trent/his agent hasn’t came out publically about any of this yet, and with 3 days until players report to Richmond. I hope he shows up and this becomes water under the bridge. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m surprised Trent/his agent hasn’t came out publically about any of this yet, and with 3 days until players report to Richmond. I hope he shows up and this becomes water under the bridge. 

 

Maybe their thinking is that the holdout rumors are so absurd, that they "don't want to dignify them with a response" 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a huge fan of trading up. Really ever.. 

 

But our trade up for montez gives us control of two players from the 2019 draft for up to 5 years. Both are set to be team cornerstones and if either develops well that 5th year of control will be valuable. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I'm not a huge fan of trading up. Really ever.. 

 

But our trade up for montez gives us control of two players from the 2019 draft for up to 5 years. Both are set to be team cornerstones and if either develops well that 5th year of control will be valuable. 

 

Was this meant to go in the thread dedicated to praising Bruce Allen for his genius moves ? :)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...if Trent doesn't show up for first day of Training Camp, does this change anyone's stance on this issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That's kind of a non starter, as I don't think anyone expects him to show up for day 1.

 

The bigger question may be: will anyone hold resentment against him if Bruce caves and signs him to a fat contract / extension which handcuffs us in other ahem signings.

Edited by RandyHolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

That's kind of a non starter, as I don't think anyone expects him to show up for day 1.

 

The bigger question may be: will anyone hold resentment against him if Bruce caves and signs him to a fat contract / extension which handcuffs us in other ahem signings.

2

 

I don't know if I'd consider that accurate, especially his teammates.

 

I'm hoping we don't get to the point of him missing preseason or regular season games.  not showing up July 25th is first step in reaching that threshold, I've tried to be neutral up to this point waiting for more information.  Not showing up will speak louder then words.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

 

I don't know if I'd consider that accurate, especially his teammates.

 

I'm hoping we don't get to the point of him missing preseason or regular season games.  not showing up July 25th is first step in reaching that threshold, I've tried to be neutral up to this point waiting for more information.  Not showing up will speak louder then words.

He has barely spoken.  For some reason this doesn't seem like a run of the mill potential holdout. I do suspect some players faux hold out to skip camp  and reduce injury risks.  We have just seen the leagues best back hold out an entire season, and finances alone drive players to strike. We have the cancer scare, and then the shiny new QB angle.  I don't think we will have much cap room.  Bruce is not in a strong position and I think if Trent reports day 1, its because Bruce caved.

 

Maybe the teammates talk him into it....

 

 

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So...if Trent doesn't show up for first day of Training Camp, does this change anyone's stance on this issue?

Depends...is he actually cleared to play now, because during his earlier "holdout" he wasn't...which is why he wasnt there...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Depends...is he actually cleared to play now, because during his earlier "holdout" he wasn't...which is why he wasnt there...

 

That is a good question.  Believe Bruce will be very clear on whether hes not cleared or holding out if he doesnt show up.  Hell, jus because you arent cleared doesnt mean you dont show up now that I think about it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

So...if Trent doesn't show up for first day of Training Camp, does this change anyone's stance on this issue?

We should sign the BAP at OT NOW!  Maybe Trent will come back sooner rather than later.   My 2 cents.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

 

 Hell, jus because you arent cleared doesnt mean you dont show up now that I think about it.

It really depends on the player I think. If memory serves me, which it probably doesn't...in the past when he wasnt cleared to play and most veterans for that matter dont show up for off season voluntary workouts...and some dont show up for mandatory practices in the pre-season if not medically cleared. 

But who knows. Everything right now is fan and media speculation. 

 

Is that opinion too mild and level headed for ES?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

 

That is a good question.  Believe Bruce will be very clear on whether hes not cleared or holding out if he doesnt show up.  Hell, jus because you arent cleared doesnt mean you dont show up now that I think about it.

 

It depends. If he talks to the team and they agree he does not need to be there, then it's not an issue. If the team wants him there and he refuses then that's a different story. I can;t imagine the team wanting him there unless it's to pass a physical. Jay kept Trent out of most of the workouts last year in an effort to keep him healthy. It did not work out that way but if all he is going to do is sit on the sideline, and he could use the extra time to finish his rehab, and home is where he and the teams feels is the best place (or at least the teams it's OK), then it should not be an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

It depends. If he talks to the team and they agree he does not need to be there, then it's not an issue. If the team wants him there and he refuses then that's a different story. I can;t imagine the team wanting him there unless it's to pass a physical. Jay kept Trent out of most of the workouts last year in an effort to keep him healthy. It did not work out that way but if all he is going to do is sit on the sideline, and he could use the extra time to finish his rehab, and home is where he and the teams feels is the best place (or at least the teams it's OK), then it should not be an issue. 

 

I agree, him not being there by itself is not an issue if the team okays it, but I expect if hes not there without them okaying it a statement will and should be made on that clarifying that.

1 hour ago, Xameil said:

It really depends on the player I think. If memory serves me, which it probably doesn't...in the past when he wasnt cleared to play and most veterans for that matter dont show up for off season voluntary workouts...and some dont show up for mandatory practices in the pre-season if not medically cleared. 

But who knows. Everything right now is fan and media speculation. 

 

Is that opinion too mild and level headed for ES?

 

Not Exteme enough : )

 

I believe they were okay with him missing certain offseason stuff up to this point, but wont be okay with him not coming to training camp without their blessing.  It's all quite now, but if hes not there, someone's gonna say something and I expect it to be Bruce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It seems like if Trent was truly and still insisting on being traded, that we'd hear more little snippets about it in the media and social media, and not necessarily from him.

Like maybe his agent makes subtle statements to fuel their rhetoric, and/or we hear rumors that the Redskins have talked to other teams about a potential trade.

If he's really that insistent, it seems like they would at least prepare for that possibility of him standing his ground, and not just hope and wish he eventually shows up.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do that all day but I don't think they would do an even swap, I could be wrong on that.

 

For Diggs I would give them a pick and Trent, the only issue is the Vikes have just over $5M in cap space and they need half of that for the rookie pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Callahan will now be the busiest man in Richmond.

Poor guy. First he's gotta re-shuffle and re-model a line with 4th stringers, mid-season, for 2 years in a row. And now he's got this.

He's one guy that deserves a raise.

 

And I imagine Eric Schaeffer will be pretty busy too.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm officially over this situation...he's signed to a more-than-fair deal and really doesn't have any leg to stand on when it comes to a new deal or more money. 

 

I'd trade him. 

 

This team isn't winning anything in 2019, so get value and take some lumps. Who knows, maybe a young guy impresses? If not, LT becomes a target. Either way, we aren't built to win now and good teams don't improve long-term by paying guys AFTER they've had their best days. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So...reading about this on NFL.com, you find out this little but of info...

 

"Rapoport added on ITC Live that Williams might have to undergo additional proceedures on his head to ensure everything is kosher. The left tackle would then need to be medically cleared before he can return to the field. Given the seriousness of the medical matter, Williams being cleared might not be a given, whenever he finally reports for work."

I'm sure that will keep him out of Redskins Park as well...

 

Here's the link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036490/article/trent-williams-is-not-expected-to-report-to-camp

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Xameil said:

So...reading about this on NFL.com, you find out this little but of info...

 

"Rapoport added on ITC Live that Williams might have to undergo additional proceedures on his head to ensure everything is kosher. The left tackle would then need to be medically cleared before he can return to the field. Given the seriousness of the medical matter, Williams being cleared might not be a given, whenever he finally reports for work."

I'm sure that will keep him out of Redskins Park as well...

 

Here's the link

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001036490/article/trent-williams-is-not-expected-to-report-to-camp

 

 

That's weird.  I just read a couple of posts ago that it's all about money.

Crazy how taking a breath can change the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.