Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

If he doesn't remain a redskin i blow my top!

 

And then you should go back to gingerluv

27 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"Scherff missed eight games a season ago with a torn pectoral muscle, and his absence was very visible."

 

 

Great job on the oxymoron there

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xameil said:

Oh goodie...more speculationfrom news outlets that obviously have no agenda for click bait...

Huh? The info about scherff and the redskins being far apart on a deal? If that’s what you’re talking about, then I’m confused...how is that clickbait? The article states what is being reported. You think it’s a lie or something I’m guessing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Not Trent news but redskins OL news. Redskins have reportedly made two contract offers to scherff but the two sides are far apart still it looks like. 

 

Maybe time to cut Norman, to give us what we need to close out the deal with Scherff ?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

Maybe time to cut Norman, to give us what we need to close out the deal with Scherff ?

Norman has 1 year left on his contract right? We could just let Norman walk in the off-season and give scherff the contract. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Norman has 1 year left on his contract right? We could just let Norman walk in the off-season and give scherff the contract. 

 

He has 2 years left

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

Maybe time to cut Norman, to give us what we need to close out the deal with Scherff ?

Ughhhhg ummm hmmmmm I never thought about that...norman is good and..well.  scherff>norman

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Huh? The info about scherff and the redskins being far apart on a deal? If that’s what you’re talking about, then I’m confused...how is that clickbait? The article states what is being reported. You think it’s a lie or something I’m guessing? 

Exactly. I have little faith on a reporter unless it's a direct quite from someone official.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christ it’s just July lol. They have. 7 months to get a deal done before the tag period.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Norman has 1 year left on his contract right? We could just let Norman walk in the off-season and give scherff the contract. 

 

Norman has 2 yrs - would be $6M dead Cap this yr, $3M dead Cap next yr. There is no reason to cut Norman. They can get the money if they need it without releasing Norman. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

Norman has 2 yrs - would be $6M dead Cap this yr, $3M dead Cap next yr. There is no reason to cut Norman. They can get the money if they need it without releasing Norman. 

 

 

Absolutely theres a reason to cut Norman, to save money.  Looking only at Dead cap is barely useful when considering whether its better to keep or cut a player.

 

Cutting Norman this year as opposed to next saves us 11 million, because Norman costs us 14 million against the cap this year, and the only extra cost is the extra $3 million in dead cap over cutting him next year.  11 million is a massive amount, about the 5th highest paid player on the team.  That can be used on another very good CB, and on an extension for Scherff. 

 

If we dont make the playoffs this season, which looks most likely, we will almost literally have flushed 11 million down the drain that could have been used as part of the rebuild the next 2 seasons.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It took me a while to determine they were talking about Madden Ratings when they asked "Is Trent Williams too high ?"

I wonder if they did that on purpose ? 

Yes, I think they did purposely ask whether the highest rated Redskins player was rated too highly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Absolutely theres a reason to cut Norman, to save money.  Looking only at Dead cap is barely useful when considering whether its better to keep or cut a player.

 

Cutting Norman this year as opposed to next saves us 11 million, because Norman costs us 14 million against the cap this year, and the only extra cost is the extra $3 million in dead cap over cutting him next year.  11 million is a massive amount, about the 5th highest paid player on the team.  That can be used on another very good CB, and on an extension for Scherff. 

 

If we dont make the playoffs this season, which looks most likely, we will almost literally have flushed 11 million down the drain that could have been used as part of the rebuild the next 2 seasons.

 

I should have finished the statement - I thought it was clear but in fairness it probably was not - They do not have to cut Norman to sign Scherff. Yes, they save $11M but you have to replace him - and with what? I know people are soured on him but he has actually played very good. And $11M in not peanuts but it['s not huge either. 

 

My actual point again was you don't have to cut Norman to get a deal done with Scherff. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

 

I should have finished the statement - I thought it was clear but in fairness it probably was not - They do not have to cut Norman to sign Scherff. Yes, they save $11M but you have to replace him - and with what?

 

 

 

 

 

It's reasonably possible that his replacement is already on our roster.

Of course, it's not proven yet, but it's possible. Our roster is jam-packed with young, talented corners.

It's just a question of whether they live up to the hopes we have in them. If so, we don't need to look outside the org, for a Norman replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Christ it’s just July lol. They have. 7 months to get a deal done before the tag period.

 

I know right? Why are we so worried that Cousins won't be given a long term deal? 

 

Wait, what? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, goskins10 said:

 

Norman has 2 yrs - would be $6M dead Cap this yr, $3M dead Cap next yr. There is no reason to cut Norman. They can get the money if they need it without releasing Norman. 

 

 

 

But in Madden I cut and/or trade him all the time! 😜

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

He was ranked dead last by agents on the issue of being trustworthy and if I recall the third worst as for being prepared.  It wasn't specific to FA.  But since its agents I'd presume that's their exposure to him -- FA and retaining their clients. 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/04/19/nfl-agents-name-redskins-bruce-allen-leagues-least-trusted-executive-in-anonymous-poll/?utm_term=.7f783c87c856

“You never know if he’s shooting straight with you,” one agent told USA Today Sports of Allen. 

 

 

 

That quote right there... isn't that a good thing.  If agents don't know where we are thinking, they can't take advantage?  The last thing you want to do is get in a bidding war against yourself

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

 

It's reasonably possible that his replacement is already on our roster.

Of course, it's not proven yet, but it's possible. Our roster is jam-packed with young, talented corners.

It's just a question of whether they live up to the hopes we have in them. If so, we don't need to look outside the org, for a Norman replacement.

 

It's possible but reasonably possible? And we need more than one. In today's game you really need 4 to 5 top level CBs. So if Norman is released then every guy they have that's not just a roster filler has to pan out. 

 

And i have to make one big correction - we have a lot of young CBs. Talented? That is yet to be seen. As I stated above, even with Norman we need several of them to step up and reach top level play. 

 

So could there be a solid replacement on the team already? Absolutely. But my guess is they are slated to play a different role not replace Norman which would make us thin at a position we are already thin at unless all the guys work out which is highly unlikely. Now next year? i can see it. But not this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Unbias said:

 

I know right? Why are we so worried that Cousins won't be given a long term deal? 

 

Wait, what? 

The franchise tag period ends July 15, genius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

 

That quote right there... isn't that a good thing.  If agents don't know where we are thinking, they can't take advantage?  The last thing you want to do is get in a bidding war against yourself

 

with 31 other teams they can direct their clients to other teams so you don't want to be a victim of agents but you don't want them to feel like you;re victimizing them

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, carex said:

 

with 31 other teams they can direct their clients to other teams so you don't want to be a victim of agents but you don't want them to feel like you;re victimizing them

 

98% of it comes down to money, so what does any of it really matter. 

Edited by wit33
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, wit33 said:

 

98% of it comes down to money, so what does any of it really matter. 

 

No doubt it's just about all money.   The MMQ article I referred to was illuminating to me because it made me think like an agent.    And from the agent's perspective when they have a premier or in demand player the ideal end goal is FA because you are just about guaranteed to get at least market price or more likely even more than that -- so it brought home to me that if anything low ball offers from the team can be a godsend (outside of a lucrative offer) because it likely helps accomplish two things (or least that's the point i took from that article).

 

A. if the low ball offer is leaked it makes it even more likely other teams GMs can give a nod to the agent saying look we want your guy at market price or more if he hits FA.    The agents are pretty much dealing with the GMs of all teams a lot because they have multiple clients.  So it can help smoke out suitors and the future market for the player. 

 

B. If the goal is to hit FA, you can much more easily brush off a low ball offer and just ignore.  Just wait it out and make it to FA or force the team to start bidding against itself. 

 

FA seems great for marquee players.  It seems to often screw non-marquee players though.  I think the wildcard is injury.  If a player gets hurt in a FA injury especially if they have a previous injury history then it can backfire on an agent holding out for their client.

 

 

 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hatchetwound said:

 

That quote right there... isn't that a good thing.  If agents don't know where we are thinking, they can't take advantage?  The last thing you want to do is get in a bidding war against yourself

 

There is big difference between being a hard negotiator and being untrustworthy. From what we have heard Bruce will tell agents and players one thing but then do something else, not negotiating in good faith. 

 

Again, you can be a hard negotiator without being dishonest. So no, I do not see this as a good thing at all. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.