Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Not sure what’s going to happen with Trent and outside of him walking for nothing, I’ll be okay with whatever happens.

No matter the reasons he held out, I believe his holdout and public dumping on Bruce was the final straw for the Allen tenure.  For that, I have to tip my cap.  Whether he’s here or elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wit33 said:

Man...

Lock these big fellas up. Yes, it will eat a lot of financial resources, but it’s the trenches, it’s universally understood the trenches are of great value and the ultimate equalizer when competing against the elite QBs. 

Let’s not be cute and pay these dudes and let them be the engine. Sign Flowers, Scherff, and Williams to spearhead the way for the next 3 year window. The new regime is run centric on top of it, makes too much sense, IMHO. 

Spend the next few drafts on the young dudes that require speed, elite twitch, and acceleration and recycle these guys in and out while the trenches are taken care of. Olineman age incredibly well... a great investment. 

The main reason I agree with you is the timing.  We have a young raw QB in Haskins that we need to develop and see if he is going to be a successful NFL QB.  I still believe drafting scherff was the main reason we were able to see that cousins could be successful in this league.  Before scherff our oline was a turnstile.  Invest in oline now, we have the cap room, and we still can add a free agent or two in FA, and build around our solid young dline via the draft.   I think resigning these olineman is our best chance at both short and long term success.  A weak oline will hamper Haskins development, grind our offense to a halt, and we have to rebuild our offense in several years while our defense is in its prime.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

The main reason I agree with you is the timing.  We have a young raw QB in Haskins that we need to develop and see if he is going to be a successful NFL QB.  I still believe drafting scherff was the main reason we were able to see that cousins could be successful in this league.  Before scherff our oline was a turnstile.  Invest in oline now, we have the cap room, and we still can add a free agent or two in FA, and build around our solid young dline via the draft.   I think resigning these olineman is our best chance at both short and long term success.  A weak oline will hamper Haskins development, grind our offense to a halt, and we have to rebuild our offense in several years while our defense is in its prime.  

Timing is most definitely a key variable to my overall thought process. Haskins on a rookie deal the next 3 seasons (Smith off the books next year) provides a window to dedicate major financial resources to that group. Haskins’ development is a factor, but I’d want to keep all these dudes if it were a middle tier veteran QB leading the team. 

The other major variable is it aligns with what Rivera believes in fundamentally about football and that’s dominating in the trenches and running the football. It’s easy to speculate that Rivera will maximize the value of each of the highly paid Olineman through developing a scheme that potentially plays a major role in developing a brand, then ... dare I say, a culture! 

• Like 2

Lets be honest........Whatever you may think, whatever your view is, Bruce Allen survived everything here......

Except a TW holdout.  For that, he is forever a legend.

Id be find with us keeping him at an okay price(sadly, provided his head really has healed and he can play properly), or getting high draft picks, as I realistically think we need a rebuild.

• Like 2

Rumor has it that Trent is expected to return to the redskins, and that Rivera is a big part of that. He likes Ron. 

I’d be ok with this 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Rumor has it that Trent is expected to return to the redskins, and that Rivera is a big part of that. He likes Ron. 

I’d be ok with this 

• Like 18

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’d be ok with this 

The timing is so fitting.

Almost immediately after it's announced the Skins will retain AP in 2020, it's then reported that AP's closest pal will also return.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

The timing is so fitting.

Almost immediately after it's announced the Skins will retain AP in 2020, it's then reported that AP's closest pal will also return.

Two peas in a pod and I ain't mad!

• Like 1

If true this is excellent news. This team needs blue chip players. Even with some injury concerns, Trent is a blue chip player. And one good thing about not playing for a year, if he stayed in shape - which have to think he did, or at the very least can get into playing shape in time - he is force. Easily a top 5 LT.

They need this piece to the puzzle. Really opens up what they do in the draft, especially missing the 2nd rd pick. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Snyder understood and knew about every decision and action made by Allen in the Williams hold out, make no mistake. None of it caught him off-guard.

I'd dare to say that, if Rivera had not been canned by Carolina, Allen's tenure here may have lasted another year. While I have no proof of this, I find it difficult to believe

Rivera would agree to work here if Allen were still on-board in any capacity. I know that there were "reports" (heh lol) that "others" in the NFL were saying that taking a HC job with the Skins was only contingent on Bruce being relieved of his duties...and Snyder has yo-yo'd between established veteran head coach and new upstart head coach almost his entire time as an owner (Marty, then Spurrier, then Gibbs, then Zorn, then Shanahan, then Jay Gruden, now Rivera). An established veteran head coach was up next for Snyder, and I don't think any established veteran head coach would have wanted to work with Bruce Allen.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Snyder understood and knew about every decision and action made by Allen in the Williams hold out, make no mistake. None of it caught him off-guard.

I'd dare to say that, if Rivera had not been canned by Carolina, Allen's tenure here may have lasted another year. While I have no proof of this, I find it difficult to believe

Rivera would agree to work here if Allen were still on-board in any capacity. I know that there were "reports" (heh lol) that "others" in the NFL were saying that taking a HC job with the Skins was only contingent on Bruce being relieved of his duties...and Snyder has yo-yo'd between established veteran head coach and new upstart head coach almost his entire time as an owner (Marty, then Spurrier, then Gibbs, then Zorn, then Shanahan, then Jay Gruden, now Rivera). An established veteran head coach was up next for Snyder, and I don't think any established veteran head coach would have wanted to work with Bruce Allen.

Mine is just pure speculation as I have no proof either. But I don't see it that way. For me Dan's epiphany came after Jay was fired and he started poking around for Jay's replacement. He was finding out that at least from an outside view Bruce was a big part of the problem. And this was before Ron was fired. He then did some additional research so when Ron became available, he could see Ron fit what he wanted to do moving forward. 

i do however agree that Ron would not have agreed to come here if Bruce was still in the building. But I don't think he was the cause of bruce being fired. I think the issue with Trent and some other disgruntled players and coaches and the feedback he received when he began is HC search, he had already decide Bruce was gone when Ron became available. 

As i said, I have no proof so it's just a theory.  It's just how the reports read to me. 

I do see the pattern but I think this was a more researched hiring. I think Dan really put some time into understanding where the issues were and what had to be done - hence allowing Ron to really clean house - something no other HC had been allowed to do, even JG II. 

Don't get me wrong, I still think Dan is a douche. His past sins outside of football do not go away. But he can fix the football side of it if he really lets' Ron do his job and hires a true GM and let's them do their job. So then he will only be half a douche?

I’ll be happy if Trent returns, I’d also be alright if he was traded for a solid return. Chance are he’s getting a new deal with 2 years gtd money. Fair enough. Hopefully he returns in full health and ready for the fight.

4 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Hope there is truth to this. Come on home, big fella. 

I'd rather he be traded for a young rookie on a cheaper contract for the next 4 years.

Admittedly we don't know the whole story, but I sincerely doubt that Trent's sole reason for holding out was the medical staff. I think it had much more to do with money.

He had no problems with the medical staff while he was collecting all his guaranteed money, but that dries up and conveniently he now has a problem. The whole story stinks.

I have a real problem extending him and giving him even MORE money when he still had 2 years left on his deal, and people want to give him a 4 million a year raise after sitting for a whole season? **** that.

Trade his ass, get a pick in return, and spend his money on a FA rather than give it to him.

Edited by crabbypatty

A lot of what JLC wrote about the other day RE: Skins suggestions was bogus and pure speculation, IMO.

But if he thinks the Skins can get two #2s for Trent, that would be a very tempting offer.
I actually don't think you can pencil in a replacement for LT from this draft without trading off #2. There's an outside shot that we could get #23 from NE and one of the Top 5 OTs fall there but it's no guarantee. Then there's a fall-off to R2 talent, where I'm sure you'd find a quality starter with upside, but nothing near what Trent is going to give you if healthy in 2020.

Getting a pair of 2nds would help immensely. Would allow you to find starting-caliber WR, FS, LB, OT and DE with your 5 picks, which would allow you to spend your FA capital elsewhere. Of course you won't know until the draft who you can get, and you want to go BPA not need-based if you can, but it might allow you to more confidently invest in the OL by bringing back the entire right side and maybe even upgrading at RT (Conklin, cut Moses) where you might be able to mask a rookie LT a bit more.

Two insider types (blanking out on which two, I think Keim was one) said they heard that Dan in the 11th hour was scrambling to see if Bruce could be reassigned, assuming to stadium duty.  If so, I presume Rivera said no.  The fact that Dan was talking multiple times in person no less to the Texans ex GM, Rick Smith, during the season about coming here -- seems to paint the story that at the very least Dan was willing to move Bruce on from personnel duties.

It's pretty wild that in just about every fan poll put up that I've seen had Bruce picked as being worst than Vinny was.  I personally think slam dunk Bruce goes down in Redskins history as the bigger punchline versus Vinny.  Now with Kyle in charge of personnel (along with Ron) we are entering a non punchline GM era for a change and I suspect we are going to enjoy it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Well, it looks like Bruce is gonna be proven correct. "Trent is gonna play again, he's gonna play for us, the Redskins".

This is great news....welcome back Trent and thanks for being the force behind getting rid of Bruce Allen. I hope you are compensated accordingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

I'd dare to say that, if Rivera had not been canned by Carolina, Allen's tenure here may have lasted another year.

This probably isn’t the thread for this but I doubt it.  We heard that Snyder had been talking to the Smith guy from Houston, and a few others.  

I think Allen was done regardless for 1 reason and 1 reason only: he was costing Snyder money. 

Snyder knew he had to make some type of a change because he wasn’t selling tickets, sponsorships, merch, local rating were at an all time low, you name it, it was bad.  And I bet Snyder knew explicitly what that meant for the bottom line.  He might not know anything about running a football team but he knows how to read a P/L.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, crabbypatty said:

I'd rather he be traded for a young rookie on a cheaper contract for the next 4 years.

Admittedly we don't know the whole story, but I sincerely doubt that Trent's sole reason for holding out was the medical staff. I think it had much more to do with money.

He had no problems with the medical staff while he was collecting all his guaranteed money, but that dries up and conveniently he now has a problem. The whole story stinks.

I have a real problem extending him and giving him even MORE money when he still had 2 years left on his deal, and people want to give him a 4 million a year raise after sitting for a whole season? **** that.

Trade his ass, get a pick in return, and spend his money on a FA rather than give it to him.

Agree on the extension.

Agree on trading him last year.

Disagree on trading him now. This team has a ton of holes to fill. Hopefully, they try to fill a core group of them in FA. Maybe not great fills, as its not realistic. But something to stop the gaping wound from bleeding on the floor. Then use the draft for BPA. If we get a tackle, great. If he turns out, we can attempt to move Williams then. If we don't get one, we have Williams and focus on tackle next year. 

• Like 3

We had to save this relationship with Trent, its good PR for this team and he's better than most of the tackles out there.

He's been off a year so he'll be healthy and there's no reason he can't play another 3-5 years.

This is a good move for the franchise and the players and I think it creates some goodwill that future free agents and their agents will take notice of.

• Like 3

If Haskins is average next year the team will be in most games and have a chance at the division title most likely. Of course bringing back arguably the leagues best LT Is a good move. Totally opinion, but the fan has gone to the extreme with wanting to get rid of guys later in their careers to save cap money or for draft picks. Lock in your known variables and ride with them. Certain guys (special talents) should be identified as guys who can continue to provide value in their 30s. For example, the Patriots who lauded for getting rid of guys signed Edelman to an extension in his 30s post ACL surgery. 

1 hour ago, crabbypatty said:

We should be thanking him, it's possible his situation coming to light was the beginning of the end for Bruce.

Trent has basically wasted his career by playing here and he's never complained about it in his 9 year tenure.

We have money, pay him and let's stop being petty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pay him, he is equivalent to signing the best OL in free agency. Further, outside of a poorly handled personal matter that became more personal than business, he's been a true Redskin. 

I ain't mad at him, would love him back for a nice 3-5 year run

• Like 4