Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

I have always been convinced that Trent will return once Bruce was fired, now I'm sure of it.  I understand the age and injury history, and I understand he will be 32 by training camp but I would not be opposed to a short extension even though I believe he handled last year totally wrong.  32 is up there but there are plenty of examples of OTs playing well into their 30's. When he plays he is still damned good and at this point they have few other options and don't even have  backup.  This is all based on the assumption that Penn retires.  This will buy them a few years to find a replacement. Hell without him they would need 3 tackles at the minimum as we all know that RT is a problem as well.  

4 hours ago, goskins10 said:

They have shown what his CAP number is now but have they added that to the overall CAP with the rest of the rollover? I am not sure they have. Not sure they haven't to be fair. And has the entire matter been through the system - meaning have the Redskins been awarded that CAP? I know they have not spent it yet but could they still be made to pay him? 

I am asking as i do not know. I have not seen a thing on it. I will say this, any agreement that leads to him coming back I would think would include at least some of that money be paid to him in some form or another. Probably need to wait to see how this plays out before we know the full CAP impact. 

They have revised the number down based on the weeks he was missing and built that into the overall numbers.

I would imagine that is an indicative view based on the strict application of the rules prior to any kind of grievance or general contesting of the situation that may arise..

it’s quite likely an amicable solution could be reached in the form of a new contract.

Either way, those cap sites are the ‘as is’ position I believe.

I would love to have TW for 3 more years. He's emotional, shown that through his career and he handled last year wrong. I can get past that.

We lock him up top dollar for 3 years and send him off with SB championship in 2022. He could be an ancho on that side of the ball as we grow over next 3 years to championship contender. 

27 minutes ago, Bonez3 said:

I would love to have TW for 3 more years. He's emotional, shown that through his career and he handled last year wrong. I can get past that.

We lock him up top dollar for 3 years and send him off with SB championship in 2022. He could be an ancho on that side of the ball as we grow over next 3 years to championship contender. 

Exactly,

In no rush to get rid of arguably the best talent at his position when team is on upswing and has a chance to compete for the division. 

Keep great to elite talent. Bring back all the big boys on the Oline and make a run for NFC East champs next year. 

31 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Exactly,

In no rush to get rid of arguably the best talent at his position when team is on upswing and has a chance to compete for the division. 

Keep great to elite talent. Bring back all the big boys on the Oline and make a run for NFC East champs next year. 

Drop the dead weight with Norman and Reed... Offer the olive branch to TW with extensions and market value top dollar. Still would have plenty of cap space for top TE if available or another CB

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Drop the dead weight with Norman and Reed... Offer the olive branch to TW with extensions and market value top dollar. Still would have plenty of cap space for top TE if available or another CB

What if Reed comes back totally healthy and says he wants to play? Do you let him go anyway?

11 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yes.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me 1,000,000,000 times... well, I'd be something much worse than a fool.

I hear ya, I guess I would put off any possible decision on him until after we see how we did in free agency and the draft. Then, if he's cleared and in shape, I'd renegotiate his deal if we thought he could play. It's interesting that we haven't heard he's retired yet?

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I hear ya, I guess I would put off any possible decision on him until after we see how we did in free agency and the draft. Then, if he's cleared and in shape, I'd renegotiate his deal if we thought he could play. It's interesting that we haven't heard he's retired yet?

He won’t retire and leave money on the table.

Most likely there will be an injury settlement or outright release. 

The “True Redskins” on the team are Williams, Kerrigan and Reed.  Guys who have been on the team for multiple contracts. 

And they all might be gone. 

What is the time scale on finding out if Trent Williams will be back to play for the Redskins?. I would have thought ASAP would be the way to go. With Rivera watching film of the 2019 Redskins games he needs to know if the best LT on our roster wants to be here. If not he has to turn his attention to FA to find his starting LT, because in my opinion there isn't one under contract good enough to start. 

HTTR 

4 hours ago, redskinss said:

You forgot matty the greek.

Yeah, I don’t consider him in the same “class” as Trent, Kerrigan and Reed.  They were all high draft picks who were “face of the franchise” types. Mart Iosnnidis is, at this point, a better player but not quite the same. 

Chris Thompson might also be close.  They REALLY wanted CT to be that game-changing back, and he was for about 3 games a year. But he didn’t rise to that level of name recognition. 

Scherff is another, except he isn’t on his second contract. And he might not be around either.

When I say “core Redskins” I don’t really use that as a compliment.  More like “these are the guys Bruce used to convince Dan we were close and Dan bought it.” 

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yes.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me 1,000,000,000 times... well, I'd be something much worse than a fool.

How about just lowering the cost and expectation? Bring in a vet and/or rookie to compete. 

I’m an admitted sucker for elite talent and have been proven wrong in support of      ol’ Jordan Reed lol It would pain me to see him flourish with another franchise (most likely the Patriots) for 12-14 games next season. It then begs the question, why would it be praised if the Pats picked him up, but stupid for Skins to keep him? Not saying you said this, but it would surely be the narrative. Cost would be key. 

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

How about just lowering the cost and expectation? Bring in a vet and/or rookie to compete. 

I’m an admitted sucker for elite talent and have been proven wrong in support of      ol’ Jordan Reed lol It would pain me to see him flourish with another franchise (most likely the Patriots) for 12-14 games next season. It then begs the question, why would it be praised if the Pats picked him up, but stupid for Skins to keep him? Not saying you said this, but it would surely be the narrative. Cost would be key. 

Reed is entering his age 30 season.  Do you expect him to become healthier or more injury-prone as he ages?  Regardless of the cost, we need players we can rely on.  It does us no good to have him penciled in as the starter and ignore upgrading the position for another year, only to watch in shock as he gets injured pre-season and we're forced to start our 2nd and/or 3rd stringer for the rest of the year.

24 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Reed is entering his age 30 season.  Do you expect him to become healthier or more injury-prone as he ages?  Regardless of the cost, we need players we can rely on.  It does us no good to have him penciled in as the starter and ignore upgrading the position for another year, only to watch in shock as he gets injured pre-season and we're forced to start our 2nd and/or 3rd stringer for the rest of the year.

I did share a veteran and/or rookie should be added and feel he should not be relied on to be a featured skill player in the offense.  

With that said, I have no basis or argument to the fan who wants to get rid of him, due to his concussions/injuries. I’m wired in a way that he may be at his all time healthiest due to all his time off lol

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

I did share a veteran and/or rookie should be added and feel he should not be relied on to be a featured skill player in the offense.  

With that said, I have no basis or argument to the fan who wants to get rid of him, due to his concussions/injuries. I’m wired in a way that he may be at his all time healthiest due to all his time off lol

In my opinion, it’s time for a fresh start, and Reed isn’t part of that.  

He kindof exemplifies the Bruce Allen era for me. Good guy, good player, fatal flaw, so we count on him implicitly.

It’s time to move on, say thank you, and turn the page.  

EDIT: I have the same opinion of Williams, Kerrigan and CT.  I’d be fine retaining Williams, but not paying him outlandish money.  I’d move Kerrigan and not te-sign CT.

The team needs to be built around the young guys drafted in the last 3 years.  

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In my opinion, it’s time for a fresh start, and Reed isn’t part of that.  

He kindof exemplifies the Bruce Allen era for me. Good guy, good player, fatal flaw, so we count on him implicitly.

EDIT: I have the same opinion of Williams, Kerrigan and CT.  I’d be fine retaining Williams, but not paying him outlandish money.  I’d move Kerrigan and not te-sign CT.

It seems like the team is indeed being built around the young guys drafted over the last 3 years. Especially the front 7...I don't think retaining Kerrigan negates that.

If he wasn’t an elite talent I’d be with you, but I’m a sucker for these types. Not a strong stance by me, just willing to ride it out if financials could be negotiated a bit. 

I’m all about keeping Williams and paying big money if all sides are happy and good to go. 

The fan perspective of getting rid of tenured players for younger cheaper guys has reached the extreme, in my view. The NFL is already trending in the other direction of not over valuing draft picks and acquiring/valuing proven commodities. 

Keep your elite talent, especially at positions of high value that players are proven to have a slow decline. 

Operating in extremes is unhealthy for any system. Sure, you always want to put a premium on younger and cheaper talent, but a balancing feedback loop of good, great or in some cases elite veteran talent has value. 

Niners for example, signed Sherman a few years back (kept him on roster heading into this year after a statistically poor season), resigned Joe Staley (At the time 34 years old— this pst off-season I believe), traded solid draft compensation for Emanuel Sanders. I use the Niners for obvious reasons, but these kind of moves by successful franchises are the norm. 

Reed and CT are core Redskins who, if they come back healthy and are willing to play here for team friendly contracts then why not bring them back? Both can still play and Reed, if cleared, is a great option for DH. Again, I get the desire and thought to move on and start fresh but if there are no better options to help us win then let's see if they can come back and play.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Reed and CT are core Redskins who, if they come back healthy and are willing to play here for team friendly contracts then why not bring them back? Both can still play and Reed, if cleared, is a great option for DH. Again, I get the desire and thought to move on and start fresh but if there are no better options to help us win then let's see if they can come back and play.

No way Reed should be on an NFL roster in 2020. The guys head is ****ed. He needs to stay healthy away from football.

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

They WERE core Redskins.  On a team that won nothing. And they couldn’t be counted on to be available.

I don’t want either on the team.  

Elite talent is pointless if it’s in the training room.  

Scott Turner needs to build an offense around guys who are going to be available.  Jay had to build his around Reed and CT, and then had to change the plan by week 3 because of injury.  I don’t often defend Jay, but he had to do that basically every year. And Bruce kept trotting out those guys and it kept happening.

Time to move on.

I’m very much against keeping Reed unless...

1) we don’t land a TE in the draft (or a promising UDFA) and...

2.  we sign a FA TE like Olsen, Hooper, etc, and...

3) he restructures his cap hit way down (and I doubt he’s willing to do so).

Only way I’d resign Thompson is if we can get out of the contract whenever we want.  Ie. if we draft a guy or find someone we like better in FA or an UDFA.  

My preference is to not return Reed, Thompson or Norman though.  

On 1/30/2020 at 12:32 PM, kingdaddy said:

What if Reed comes back totally healthy and says he wants to play? Do you let him go anyway?

Yes. Can’t count on him and build your offense around the assumption he will be available. Also you can’t be paying $8.2M to find out if he is healthy.

On 1/30/2020 at 8:04 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Of course, the same issue applies to Williams. He missed over a quarter of his games from ages 28 to 30 and was hobbled for a good many more. And these discussions of him seem to assume he'll be healthier from 32 onward.

Archived