Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

i'll say it again; Trent would be better served to not go on this interview spree right now. He should powwow with his agent and handlers, figure out what story he wants to convey, and then practice sticking to it. When you do it off the cuff you can contradict earlier off the cuff remarks without realizing it. Plus, it takes a certain type of talent to word and phrase your thoughts on the fly in a cohesive and consistent manner. It's not easy at all to do.

For instance, he says this:

"...when the doctors told me in February that I didn’t have long to live, that **** didn’t matter. It wasn’t about money no more.

[...]I was just looking for a new beginning. To put this behind me and kinda find a new home..."

But also...

"Williams doesn’t deny that he asked for a contract extension early this offseason."

Doesn't say when "early in the offseason" is, but if Trent is to be believed, it means he asked for the extension in early February at the very latest. But still, he says after talking with the doctors and before his surgery--meaning in February--he decided money was not an issue anymore. The only thing that mattered was getting away from the Skins and having a "new beginning" in a "new home".

So why wait until June to ask for a trade?

If he brought up the extension after his surgery, then the whole "money didn't matter anymore since February" dialog pretty much gets flushed down the toilet.

But yet still, he said this;

"I felt like things could have been resolved, but then the Redskins resorted to the blame game,”

So...even after surgery and deciding he didn't' care about money, and that he wanted to be on another team, he says things still could have been resolved...but then he felt the Skins conducted a "blame game" and decided nope

My first thought was: What would have resolved it if not money?

Since Trent claims it had not been about money anymore since February...and apparently he was asked who should be fired and he said he didn't want to cost anyone their job...what else would have resolved the issue?

Any "blame game" would not have started in February. There was nothing TO blame him for until he began his hold out. This means that, in the time between February and his holdout, Trent says things still could have been resolved. But apparently not with money or by firing anyone.

Then how?

It doesn't appear that Hoffman asked him.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I see a player willing to surrender 13 million dollars not to play another down for the Redskins.  I see a team acting to make certain he loses every cent of that money rather than trading him.  

What I don’t see is how any of this helps the redskins.

It doesn't help the Redskins IMO.  I don't care much about the tit for tat between Trent and the team.   I wanted him traded.  My position was like that from the get go.  I was pretty strong against giving Trent a pay raise and I said from the get go if its all about money, I don't support him.  Beat guys kept warning that if Trent returned as opposed to being traded -- you are going to really get some serious drama.  And boy were they right. 

And while I don't care much about the tit for tat.  The little I have paid attention to the medical narrative, I've heard enough to get the impression that parts of Trent's story don't add up but at the same time I don't kill him for that.  IMO him not having a story completely straight is unlikely because he's a bad guy and is doing it intentionally.   But memory is tricky thing especially when it comes to recalling chronology.  Heck I've heard my wife and friends recount events that I was a part of and I wondered if I was in the same place because that's now how I recalled it.   I am sure it's been ditto with them as to me.    If I had to present my memory of multiple events to public scrutiny where if there are holes in the story then i'd must be a liar -- then I and most people would come off as liars. 

Ditto people interpreting my statements in their own way and their own context.  It's just not all going to flow the same way.   Trent for example explained the no one visited him point -- by that he meant from the team or FO.  But people parsed his words and said hey what a liar since Hess visited him.  If I had to worry about everything I said and had to say it all in the right way with complete clarity and recall multiple events perfectly -- that wouldn't be easy.  And yeah I get there are some big holes in the mix.  But to me we still then delve to the dude's motivation and what type of guy he is.  Because if he has any holes in his stories and he's going to get condemned for it -- then that would be because he's a bad guy, no?  

And Trent hasn't been billed as a bad guy.  Just about everyone has said he's a good dude.  If Trent is just this bad guy who is a pathological liar and on a weird trip then we'd have another key point to digest IMO.  That is, according to those covering the story his teammates are very supportive of him.  So if Trent, long time captain of the team is a bad guy and his teammates have his back in a big way -- then we got some really bad seeds in that locker room and bad culture cooking over there, no?    

Also chronology is important for the sequence of events and that's not easy to recall all the time. Hoffman has been talking about it on air for an hour now.   He's about to talk for another 45 minutes for those interested but he's referring to his talk with Trent where he clarified with him some things including seeming discrepancies in his story.  He talked about some of that in the article, too.  As far as he knows Trent asked for the extension before the cancer diagnosis.   After the cancer diagnosis, the money part according to him became less important.  I get to some its an all or nothing proposition but IMO few things in life operate that cleanly.  I can't think of a job where money is never relevant in a big or small way.  So I gather its part of the soup but considering how much money he's giving up to make a point then I do believe that it wasn't the prime point for him post his cancer diagnosis.   But Trent wouldn't be an odd duck to have multiple motivations going on simultaneously.   It's human nature.  Shades of grey. 

But let's say Trent was 100% wrong.  Hoffman has said it's very personal between Trent and Bruce.  Trent has implied if Bruce handled the whole thing differently behind the scenes the outcome might be different.  Seems clear like both sides made mistakes.  But if I am freaking running the FO even if I thought I was right at every turn -- its my job to maximize value for players and to try to minimize drama.  And the FO is looking to get F's on both counts.  But I'll give them that they ship isn't sailed yet on getting value for Trent -- will see in the off season. 

1 hour ago, megared said:

That's an incredibly selfish quote. He doesn't care if the Skins' medical staff and practices endanger other current and future players on the team, he only cares if it helps him.

And this now makes 4 separate explanations as to why Trent did not agree to the 3rd party investigation.

4 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Agree with everything but one. How did the team mishandle the debate when that was the only thing they managed to win in recent memory?

Or was your point that it was the other side that lost it and not the team winning it????

We temporarily won the name issue because of a supreme court ruling stating that "offensive" words/names are protected under the constitution. That still doesn't help, it basically says "yeah our name is racist, but so what?"

And the team name debate is far from over. The only reason why we don't hear much about it now is because the team is so ass. Watch for the protests to pick up when/if the Chiefs go deep in the playoffs. They did when the Indians were in the world series a few years ago and now the Wahoo logo is gone. 

Plus NFLSHOP.com is phasing out the team name on the Salute to Service products

image.png.0a3546427b652029dc1d1aff1949c206.png

Also, one other thing; from Trent's account of things, the prognosis and type of surgery aren't quite consistent. in this latest interview he says:

"When the diagnosis was grave and they told me that they need to cut my brain and I didn't have long to live..."

But then there's this from another earlier interview:

"Williams said he was told the cancer cells were weeks away from penetrating his skull."

So does this mean the doctors told him the cancer cells had not penetrated his skull yet and that they'd need to cut away part of his brain? I'm in no way a doctor but it seems like if it hasn't penetrated his skull yet then it also means they don't have to cut away any of his brain. I have no idea how much of this is Trent trying to quote them verbatim and how much of this is hyperbole in order to get a point across...or maybe he meant "skull" and said "brain" instead...

If he's gonna talk about his health issues to the press and talk about what doctors have told him in their prognosis, he needs to be as accurate as possible. There are others who have the same type of cancer he experienced and his being a public figure can help others understand the dangers, risks, non-risks, and various things that can be done and that should be looked for when dealing with this health issue. It doesn't seem as if he considered this aspect. He just wants to publicly vent and explain things as he sees it after remaining quiet all this time. Understandable, but he's going about it in the wrong way. Right now he's mostly a click-generator.

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

Hahahaha, tell you what, at the point that over 90% of his posts arent in fervent defense of Bruce, you can start to make a case. 

I also think you might want to re-look up the actual meaning of "you couldnt be more wrong" before you use it next time.

I would then suggest you to have a check Califan's post history. He's not the kind of guy you put in boxes really.

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:
  • Adam Schefter
  • Field Yates
  •  

After placing offensive tackle Trent Williams on the non-football injury list, the Washington Redskins have elected not to pay his remaining $5.1 million base salary for the 2019 season, league sources tell ESPN.

This is a voluntary decision, within Washington's rights, but is not consistent with how other teams have operated. Other notable players on the NFI list this season have included Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul and Los Angeles Chargers offensive tackle Russell Okung, but each were paid roughly 35-40% of their salaries while unable to be on the field.

The Redskins opted for a different approach, choosing not to pay Williams for the remainder of this season after paying him last week when he returned to the team. Williams last week revealed a cancer diagnosis that played a part in his lengthy holdout and distrust of the Washington medical staff and organization.

The decision not to pay Williams is the latest chapter in a messy situation between the player and the team that will continue to play out this offseason. Williams, 31, has one year remaining on his contract after this season and was the object of teams' attention prior to the trade deadline.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28036330/sources-redskins-choose-not-pay-trent-williams-51m-salary

I haven't been following the other players so I don't know their stories, but right now I'm assuming that Pierre-Paul and Okung did not hold out, didn't give an interview claiming their teams almost cost them their lives through negligence and mismanagement, request a trade,  or let it be known that they would never play for their current teams again. I mean, those things could play a role in how each team approaches things.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

I see a player willing to surrender 13 million dollars not to play another down for the Redskins.  I see a team acting to make certain he loses every cent of that money rather than trading him.  

What I don’t see is how any of this helps the redskins.

If that helps either Dan selling or Bruce being fired, then that's baby steps :P

I wonder how many other NFL owners would like to be shed of Snyder and his imploding franchise.  Snyder is supported by the revenue distribution policy of the League.  If he had to fund this operation entirely of Redskin generated revenue I believe he would have folded his tent long ago.  But instead, he gets to sponge off of the heathy like some sort of poor relation at Christmas.  I don't know if the owners have the authority to force a sale for incompetency that hurts the League overall or if that is the third rail they don't dare touch even if they have the power.

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

from Trent's account of things, the prognosis and type of surgery aren't quite consistent.

I don't care about Trent's story.  Stop giving Bruce cover on this.

It doesn't matter if Trent is a good guy or a bad guy in this story.  He is done here and has been done here for a long time.  If Bruce was in the business of trying to win football games, he would have traded him away for a 1st round pick after week 2.

1 minute ago, Tsailand said:

It doesn't matter if Trent is a good guy or a bad guy in this story.  He is done here and has been done here for a long time.  If Bruce was in the business of trying to win football games, he would have traded him away for a 1st round pick after week 2.

Does everything in this have to be filtered through a Bruce lens?...it's like some are thinking "I don't give a **** if Trent made it all up...I don't give a **** if Trent's actions put the health of others in danger...I don't give a **** if Trent's allegations cost innocent people their livelihoods and their reputations. If it can be used in any way against Bruce, that's all that matters."

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I haven't been following the other players so I don't know their stories, but right now I'm assuming that Pierre-Paul and Okung did not hold out, didn't give an interview claiming their teams almost cost them their lives through negligence and mismanagement, request a trade,  or let it be known that they would never play for their current teams again. I mean, those things could play a role in how each team approaches things.

Definately. But you could also add to the fact that their GM isn't Bruce Allen being petty too!

We already have Bryce Love on the NFI List. We had also that DB earlier this season that ended cut whose name just escapes me. I doubt those two were not paid.

Putting Trent on NFI is one thing, not wanting to pay him is another. Clearly, Bruce doesn't want to lose this battle here, while somehow he already has lost the war...

9 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

I wonder how many other NFL owners would like to be shed of Snyder and his imploding franchise.  Snyder is supported by the revenue distribution policy of the League.  If he had to fund this operation entirely of Redskin generated revenue I believe he would have folded his tent long ago.  But instead, he gets to sponge off of the heathy like some sort of poor relation at Christmas.  I don't know if the owners have the authority to force a sale for incompetency that hurts the League overall or if that is the third rail they don't dare touch even if they have the power.

The other owners love Dan for this. They don’t want players holding out when they have multiple years left on their deals and they don’t want players having the power to force trades. Holding firm and making an example is exactly what the other owners want.  The Skins are worth 3.4 billion. 7th most in the NFL and other than the dumping of Albert Haynesworth salary in the uncapped year, the owners pretty much love Dan. You guys are beyond delusional if you think the other owners would ever turn on him. 

19 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

the Skins are the NFL's fifth most valuable franchise

16 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

this is 100% Williams' story, Allen is merely responding to it.  And unless we traded player for player trading Williams would not help us win a single game this year

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

The other owners love Dan for this. They don’t want players holding out when they have multiple years left on their deals and they don’t want players having the power to force trades. Holding firm and making an example is exactly what the other owners want.  The Skins are worth 3.4 billion. 7th most in the NFL and other than the dumping of Albert Haynesworth salary in the uncapped year, the owners pretty much love Dan. You guys are beyond delusional if you think the other owners would ever turn on him. 

I don't know that they love him, I've heard they've had some issues with him

12 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Definately. But you could also add to the fact that their GM isn't Bruce Allen being petty too!

We already have Bryce Love on the NFI List. We had also that DB earlier this season that ended cut whose name just escapes me. I doubt those two were not paid.

Putting Trent on NFI is one thing, not wanting to pay him is another. Clearly, Bruce doesn't want to lose this battle here, while somehow he already has lost the war...

Definitely lol 😂 (the part in bold)...it all puts everything in context, something that quote failed to do. Kinda treated each player as being in the same exact situation, it's just that the Skins decided not to pay Trent because, well, you readers fill in the blank yourselves.

I also think there's more to "win" in not paying Trent than just the staring/pissing contest in Allen's eyes. The team gets more money and more cap space to use. And I'm in no way knowledgeable on this, but if they paid him would that mean he automatically gets this season accrued? I said weeks ago that the most positive outcome barring some team throwing high draft picks at Bruce would be Trent holding out all year and going into the offseason with 2 years still left on his contract. He'd be healthier than if he played, and whoever trades for him will have him for 2 years instead of 1, and with low guarantees. So in a way, this appears to be happening, only at Bruce and Dan's prerogative instead of at Trent's. But again, have no idea if that's true or not.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Does everything in this have to be filtered through a Bruce lens?...it's like some are thinking "I don't give a **** if Trent made it all up...I don't give a **** if Trent's actions put the health of others in danger...I don't give a **** if Trent's allegations cost innocent people their livelihoods and their reputations. If it can be used in any way against Bruce, that's all that matters."

I think you a throwing out some serious straw-man arguments here.  Who is arguing any of these things:"I don't give a **** if Trent made it all up...I don't give a **** if Trent's actions put the health of others in danger...I don't give a **** if Trent's allegations cost innocent people their livelihoods and their reputations."  Who is saying any of this stuff? 

You also keep saying that Trent is inconsistent in his reasoning for not wanting an investigation.  It is very clear that he does not have any reason to want to have an investigation.  He pretty clearly lays out that there is nothing to gain from an investigation.  He states that the Redskins have already been told what the problems are, but that they refuse to do anything about it.  If he doesn't think they will approach the issue in good faith, and it will not change anything, why go through a contentious process with a team that he never wants to play for again?  He does not need a review of how his medical situation was handled, he knows how it was handled.  He isn't asking for any money at this point, he just wants to part ways with the team.  

@Califan007 do you think Trent is purely in pursuit of more money? This is all a grand manipulation of the media?

I don't and think Bruce simply failed at his job by not foreseeing where this would end up. He is going to have a far more difficult time getting value this offseason than he would have before this drama got out into the open.

This latest episode seems fairly straightforward - Trent got sick of his employer for a multitude of reasons, tried leveraging his way out, unstoppable force (trent's desire to go) meets immovable object (Bruce's ego), and viola! 

8 minutes ago, Nerm said:

I think you a throwing out some serious straw-man arguments here.  Who is arguing any of these things:"I don't give a **** if Trent made it all up...I don't give a **** if Trent's actions put the health of others in danger...I don't give a **** if Trent's allegations cost innocent people their livelihoods and their reputations."  Who is saying any of this stuff? 

You also keep saying that Trent is inconsistent in his reasoning for not wanting an investigation.  It is very clear that he does not have any reason to want to have an investigation.  He pretty clearly lays out that there is nothing to gain from an investigation.  He states that the Redskins have already been told what the problems are, but that they refuse to do anything about it.  If he doesn't think they will approach the issue in good faith, and it will not change anything, why go through a contentious process with a team that he never wants to play for again?  He does not need a review of how his medical situation was handled, he knows how it was handled.  He isn't asking for any money at this point, he just wants to part ways with the team.  

I said it's "like some are thinking" that way, not that anyone actually said this stuff. But whenever anyone says they don't care whether or not Trent is good or bad or lying or telling the truth or takes part in the investigation or blows it off completely because all that matters is that Bruce blew it again and has ruined the franchise, they are by default also saying that all the ramifications of Trent lying or not taking part in the investigation don't matter, we should only care about the fact that Bruce has ruined our favorite team. I abso-effin-lutely do not see it that way...his allegations are insanely serious, yet are being downplayed in the service of agendas by some.

And if Trent only stuck to saying he has no reason to want to take part in the investigation I wouldn't be saying half the **** I've been saying. But like I said earlier, if Trent's reasoning behind his actions appears sketchy, it makes his version of events less credible and points a spotlight on other aspects of his story that aren't quite gelling. He appears on a slash and burn tour right now and no doubt there are those who are cheering him on regardless of whether or not what he's saying makes sense or is even true. Those people tend to think there are sides to take in all of this. I don't. But right now, Trent is the only one giving interviews and trying to express his reasoning behind his actions and his perceptions, and unfortunately, a helluva lot makes sense when you think about it even just a little.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Almost 400 pages in this saga, and I’m only certain of one thing...

Nobody cares more about it than CaliFan.

Joke all you want, but I guarantee you that if you ever found yourself on trial for something, you would sell your left testicle to make sure I was on your jury lol,,,

21 minutes ago, Nerm said:

EDIT: That should have said "a helluva lot makes NO sense when you think about it even a little" lol...but for some reason when quoting someone lately it disables the edit feature o some of my posts. I blame the medical staff.

@Califan007 cares because it’s this mindset that is so ridiculous and permeates the entire organization down to the players. There is no actual analysis or attempt to recount facts by 95% of the ES population. Just a whole bunch of people looking to sound off on you know who. 

And this is coming from someone who is very unhappy that we didn’t unload him for a high draft pick before we got to this point. But oh wait, I’m waffling, what’s today? Friday? Oh sorry I meant ermmmm Bruce is the GOAT. 

Eh. Still think Trent isn't being honest about some or a lot of this. Also think the Skins have spent the time since his camp said he wasn't showing to document everything they have on the tumor scare. I also think nobody in Trent's camp expected him to talk to the media after the deadline 

And still I can hope Bruce gets fired and Snyder goes broke so he has to sell the team. 

Apparently some folks thing that not believing Trent is the same as being pro Snyder/Allen. That's simply not the case. 

I don’t know, Cali... I think you’re putting everyone that thinks Bruce screwed those up into one giant umbrella. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Im not willing to guess what happened with Trent. The whole thing is an riddle wrapped inside an enigma, and it does no good to guess as to what happened. It’s mostly irresponsible in the case of someone’s health and well being, to be honest.

There is one concrete fact right now. And it’s Allen misplaying this.

7 minutes ago, hailer21 said:

@Califan007 do you think Trent is purely in pursuit of more money? This is all a grand manipulation of the media?

I don't and think Bruce simply failed at his job by not foreseeing where this would end up. He is going to have a far more difficult time getting value this offseason than he would have before this drama got out into the open.

This latest episode seems fairly straightforward - Trent got sick of his employer for a multitude of reasons, tried leveraging his way out, unstoppable force (trent's desire to go) meets immovable object (Bruce's ego), and viola! 

If I had to try and guess--and so far I haven't been able to reach any type of conclusion--I would say that Trent has been in pursuit of several things at several points along his timeline, and they've all become jumbled up along the way. Add to that Bruce's....let's say, personality and decisions--have rubbed him raw. He sees twitter (and hell, maybe even this board) claiming he's using his health scare as an excuse to get more money and assumes a smear job is being orchestrated by the team, even if it's not the case. Since perception=reality, it hardly matters either way to him. Trent has said several different things over the past week that definitely point to money being at least a good part of why he held out and wanted to traded...a smear job wasn't necessary, just a fanbase and beat writers who live and die from one hot take to another and speculate like nobody's business.

And he's also been a ball of different strong emotions along the way that have effected how he perceives things, and that sometimes causes you to see things in a less-than-accurate manner.

The only role I think the media plays in all of this is a willing partner in search of clicks. At least the ones doing the interviews. It would be considered bad form/crass to question someone over a cancer scare, so no, nobody's gonna say "Wait, did the doctors tell you the cancer made it's way to your brain or did they say it was weeks away from penetrating your skull?"...No interviewer is gonna say "Aren't you afraid that by not taking part in the investigation you are putting others' health at risk?"...You don't ask questions like that, and even if you could these guys have no desire to piss off Trent and have their access to him cut off. He's topic #1 for the Skins' fanbase. If he wants to say things that contradict his earlier statements or that don't make much sense, pfft...hardly matters, they aren't investigating anything in their eyes, they're just being a friendly avenue for a wildly popular athlete to get his story out. So there's no grand manipulation of the media, they know exactly what they're doing.

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t know, Cali... I think you’re putting everyone that thinks Bruce screwed those up into one giant umbrella. It doesn’t have to be one or the other.

Im not willing to guess what happened with Trent. The whole thing is an riddle wrapped inside an enigma, and it does no good to guess as to what happened. It’s mostly irresponsible in the case of someone’s health and well being, to be honest.

There is one concrete fact right now. And it’s Allen misplaying this.

That part in bold is absolutely not true. There's a specific reason I word my posts in the way I word them, and I always word things so that it's obvious I'm not talking about everyone who thinks Bruce screwed up. I'll say "some" people or " a segment of the fanbase" or that I'm only talking about if someone says (fill in the blank) then by default it means (fill in the blank), meaning if you didn't say that I'm not talking about you lol...hell, I've even made sure to tell some I've responded to that my words are not aimed at them.

And I agree, it's hard to guess and I'm fine telling myself that even though he's talking like mad now it doesn't mean things have been made clear by what he's said. I even said maybe he's just not the best one to speak off the cuff and should regroup and approach this in a better fashion because he's contradicting himself in a lot of ways from one interview to the next. At this very moment I still don't know how he feels about the medical staff lol...

Archived