Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

I do think it's a little disingenuous of Trent to say waiting until the last minute to trade him was vindictive, given he waited until after the draft and free agency to make it known to the team that he wasnt gonna come in. 

And it seems weird he heaped all that praise on Snyder, when Snyder basically seems to have sided with Bruce.  At least, that's how I would see it.  

52 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

What made you think the players would side with the fans in the protest of Snyder to begin with? 

Frankly I'm inclined to believe they wouldn't side with anyone and stay out of it, but if I had to choose, I would choose Snyder 9/10 times.

To protect their jobs, you're absolutely right. 

But this thread has been dominated by this idea he was sticking it to the organization as a whole, it's clear he doesnt feel the same way about Snyder and has nothing to do with him getting game checks hes already been forfeiting.  When you see former players defend Snyder, my reaction is he was too close to the players and that's part of the problem.  But it's really jus not that simple apparently, not at all.

How do we reconcile with the fact we absolutely hate this guy and several players love him?  How do you deal with the fact these guys are wasting their careers here and dealing with misdiagnosed cancer threats and absolving him of any responsibility for any of it?  He could fire Bruce and the entire medical staff right now if he wanted to, but as far as Trents concerned this has nothing to do with Snyder.

Are the players jus all full of ****, former and present?  I turned on Lavar after he shat on Gibbs on the way out, but listening to his interview about his regrets concerning his relationship with Snyder and the Redskins franchise as a whole is heartbreaking in context (starts at 21:00).

https://theteam980.com/123118/brian-mitchell-with-lavar-arrington-on-letter-to-my-younger-self/

How do I keep that from happening to me and jus focus on the fact I like football and want the DC team to do well again?  I want to take my dad to the game again, I miss doing that, I go by myself, but I dont like going by myself anymore.

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

I do think it's a little disingenuous of Trent to say waiting until the last minute to trade him was vindictive, given he waited until after the draft and free agency to make it known to the team that he wasnt gonna come in. 

And it seems weird he heaped all that praise on Snyder, when Snyder basically seems to have sided with Bruce.  At least, that's how I would see it.  

Well if he didn’t have surgery til summer then there’s a chance he didn’t know the severity of his tumor until not too long prior which would have been after the draft and especially FA.

46 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t doubt for a second they believe it.  That’s the problem, dude.

Why would Bruce do much of what he’s done here?  Because he’s a proven nimrod.

Whatever report your citing that he’s only worth a third has every bit as much validity as the reports that he was worth a first before Monday.

The report was that Dorsey would not part with a 1st for Williams, that he felt what Allen was asking for was too "steep", and Dorsey saying Allen had to agree to dance (or whatever the phrase was) in order for the trade to happen. Was also another report that Dorsey offered several "mid-round" picks for Trent but Allen said no.

And if the earlier reports that Williams was worth a 1st hold the same validity, then what good does it do anyone to purposefully try and set it up so that it appears that Williams' worth is only a mid-round pick? The earlier reports would just negate that.

It does, though, sound as if Trent was personally effected by teams only offering mid-round picks...why else phrase it as an attempt to "embarrass" him?

I’m not sure what good an investigation does considering he says that he didn’t want to cost anyone their job.  He didn’t even come across that pissed off at the team doctors, all things considered.  It appears his disdain was rooted in being very scared, and blossomed with how things went after the fact with the team.

And for those hellbent on when he advised the team he wasn’t showing up, it sounds like he spent much of his offseason with doctors getting this checked and fixed, while fostering hard feelings.  It’s not even documented that the first he told the team he was upset was the end of May.  For all we know they could have known of his displeasure for a long time.  

@Renegade7Oh I would wager the majority of players past and present have had no problem with Snyder himself, or at the very least dont personally hold animosity, nowhere close to the type needed to protest against him.

I think Its easy to see a sinking ship on the outside, and several unhappy players fed up with the owner throughout his tenure, and assume there's more like that. When it comes to just Snyder himself, and hiw he is around players, I'm sure you'll hear more stories like what happened with Robert Royal, and genuine relationships, rather than what may have happened with Lav. Dont think it changes a damn thing whatsoever in regards to the truth about him, his personality overall, or his ability to run a business, but that's just my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

The report was that Dorsey would not part with a 1st for Williams, that he felt what Allen was asking for was too "steep", and Dorsey saying Allen had to agree to dance (or whatever the phrase was) in order for the trade to happen. Was also another report that Dorsey offered several "mid-round" picks for Trent but Allen said no.

And if the earlier reports that Williams was worth a 1st hold the same validity, then what good does it do anyone to purposefully try and set it up so that it appears that Williams' worth is only a mid-round pick? The earlier reports would just negate that.

Because this has been a pissing match since the summer.  I think you are giving Bruce entirely too much credit in his ability to value his assets.  We’re talking about Bruce Allen, not a legitimate GM with a track record for what good value is.

21 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Agreed, while also reporting right at the trade deadline.  Those were calculated moves, so he doesn't really have a leg to stand on with that accusation.  

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Well if he didn’t have surgery til summer then there’s a chance he didn’t know the severity of his tumor until not too long prior which would have been after the draft and especially FA.

He had the surgery in the winter.  

14 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure what good an investigation does considering he says that he didn’t want to cost anyone their job.  He didn’t even come across that pissed off at the team doctors, all things considered.  It appears his disdain was rooted in being very scared, and blossomed with how things went after the fact with the team.

And for those hellbent on when he advised the team he wasn’t showing up, it sounds like he spent much of his offseason with doctors getting this checked and fixed, while fostering hard feelings.  It’s not even documented that the first he told the team he was upset was the end of May.  For all we know they could have known of his displeasure for a long time.  

Trent is blaming the Skins' med staff for not diagnosing something as cancerous that he "almost died" from--and he emphasized that part--regardless of how angry or chill he comes across while saying it.

The Skins are right to want to nip that type of talk in the bud. Fans talk all the time about how the Skins' dysfunction would keep free agent players from ever wanting to sign here...how in the world would the Skins NOT want to hopefully set the record straight in terms of player health and the medical practices of the team? You don't see what good that could do?

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Because this has been a pissing match since the summer.  I think you are giving Bruce entirely too much credit in his ability to value his assets.  We’re talking about Bruce Allen, not a legitimate GM with a track record for what good value is.

Here's literal Califan again, but lol...it really hasn't been a pissing match. That would indicate that they were constantly one-upping each other. It was more of a staring contest to see who would blink first. So in that scenario, neither side really does anything to embarrass or insult each other. I personally thought the Skins taking calls in terms of trading Trent to be them bliniking first...doing so at the last minute seemed to me more like an "Oh, ****, what have we done" move lol..

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Trent is blaming the Skins' med staff for not diagnosing something as cancerous that he "almost died" from--and he emphasized that part--regardless of how angry or chill he comes across while saying it.

The Skins are right to want to nip that type of talk in the bud. Fans talk all the time about how the Skins' dysfunction would keep free agent players from eer wanting to sign here...how in the world would the Skins NOT want to hopefully set the record straight in terms of player health and the medical practices of the team? You don't see what good that could do?

If anything it should help open the eyes of other players, who I am sure are a lot like Trent, and trust the doctors they deal with regularly.  It should help them to understand that things like these need to be addressed elsewhere.

But I think the Skins have much bigger issues than whether they did or didn’t properly diagnose something out of their purview.  Like not fielding a good team, Bruce Allen in front of a mic, and how he’s generally seen as a slime ball and doofus of epic proportion.  That’s a much bigger deterrent than whether or not team doctors properly identified a tumor they aren’t really required to identify.

17 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

@Renegade7Oh I would wager the majority of players past and present have had no problem with Snyder himself, or at the very least dont personally hold animosity, nowhere close to the type needed to protest against him.

I think Its easy to see a sinking ship on the outside, and several unhappy players fed up with the owner throughout his tenure, and assume there's more like that. When it comes to just Snyder himself, and hiw he is around players, I'm sure you'll hear more stories like what happened with Robert Royal, and genuine relationships, rather than what may have happened with Lav. Dont think it changes a damn thing whatsoever in regards to the truth about him, his personality overall, or his ability to run a business, but that's just my opinion.

Agreed.  I'd say I've seen the "he was nice to me" angle before in different situations, but you're still right on this one.  Tedskins still preparing people for life, reminding just how grey the world can get, and that's just what you know or think you know.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If anything it should help open the eyes of other players, who I am sure are a lot like Trent, and trust the doctors they deal with regularly.  It should help them to understand that things like these need to be addressed elsewhere.

But I think the Skins have much bigger issues than whether they did or didn’t properly diagnose something out of their purview.  Like not fielding a good team, Bruce Allen in front of a mic, and how he’s generally seen as a slime ball and doofus of epic proportion.  That’s a much bigger deterrent than whether or not team doctors properly identified a tumor they aren’t really required to identify.

I don't disagree with any of that, really...although I will say that free agents will be even less likely to sign with a team where its dysfunction is so bad it almost kills players lol.

So I do see the good that an investigation will do.

I call BS. I’m not saying Skins are blameless but I put some blame on Trent. He doesn’t have to solely rely on team physicians. He’s a multimillionaire. He can go to any doctor he wants to. If he had a problem he needed to pursue it. Because we don’t know the whole truth, I say he’s being a bit of a brat. Not all cancers are life threatening. Should have been more forthcoming and upfront. Something smells rotten with this situation. 

Williams said he told the team before their June minicamp that he no longer wanted to play for them. But the Redskins told teams the price tag to obtain Williams was high, and they did not try to aggressively shop him until before Tuesday's 4 p.m. deadline.

"I mean, when you give them 48 hours to strike a deal it probably isn't going to happen," he said. "I just felt like that was done to embarrass me, try to make it feel like, 'Ain't nobody want you; you're not good enough for us to trade for.' I felt like that was the play more so than to get me moved."

Williams said no team official visited him at the hospital during his two weeks in Chicago, but former teammate DeAngelo Hall did.

But Williams said he wanted guaranteed money in the final two years of his contract. The final two years of his contract did not include guaranteed money, including next year's base salary of $12.5 million. The Redskins have long said privately that this situation was about money, and they did not want to give him an extension, fearing a bad precedent. But Williams said he just wanted to be taken care of, especially after seeing quarterback Alex Smith suffer a possible career-ending leg injury last season.

"I've represented this franchise in the Pro Bowl the last seven years. To me, I would think that would be good for something," Williams said.

When last season ended, Williams said he did not envision this day.

"No, no, never. We had conversation or so about the guaranteed money or lack thereof, but it was never me thinking I'd be in any other organization, not in December, not at all," he said.

Williams said he does not harbor any ill will toward Snyder, adding he has a "ton of respect for Dan. I love him to death. I don't look at it being his fault." That's why he didn't want to speak publicly during his holdout, fearing his words would make Snyder look bad and be taken out of context.

But when asked if his relationship with team president Bruce Allen could be repaired, Williams said simply, "Next question." Williams said he did not think the Redskins were vindictive in the beginning.

"I think it turned that way," he said. "It became a power struggle. It became, 'No we're not going to fold for you as a player,' because that would make it seem to every other player that's how they get business done. I get that part of it. But I do think it did turn that way over time."

Nor did Williams think about retiring in the offseason.

"I still love it. It's still the game. I'm here," he said. "But I just feel like things could've gotten handled a lot better. Obviously, it got us to this point."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27977296/trent-williams-lack-reaction-cancer-scare-blame-redskins-rift

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I personally thought the Skins taking calls in terms of trading Trent to be them bliniking first...doing so at the last minute seemed to me more like an "Oh, ****, what have we done" move lol..

Pissing match, staring contest, whatever you want to call it.  It’s not the optimal way to handle the situation.

I agree being open to offers on Monday was an “oh ****” move.  Which is why it was rather easy to predict that nothing would come of it.

I think they were just saving face, nothing more nothing less. And again, they think people will buy that it was genuine. 

If they were serious, they would've talked shop a lot sooner, or just dealt him for whatever, just to get rid of the drama and preserve their "Damn good culture."

This was personal, not business

Archived