Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

5 minutes ago, megared said:

It's over man.  All of this stuff is already in the CBA. 

And Bruce's chronic mismanagement of the roster isn't enough to get it changed.  And good luck getting buy in from the other GMs he screwed by not taking offers seriously.  

Most of the rabbit holes we've gone down, are pretty much unprecedented territory.  Alot of this stuff was written for apocalypse scenarios that were never intended to actually occur.    

no it isn't because this is not something that's happened before, and if he can redefine what holding out and reporting is team owners would support them

Maybe if our so called "damn good culture" wasn't so toxic we could keep our elite tackle around and see him finish out his career here. He has several good years left and we could build around him but nope......this damn good culture runs good players and coaches away and we the fans are left with a 1 to 2 win team that has a front office that believes we suck because of circumstance beyond their control. 

19 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

As much as I can understand TW not wanting to play here. He’s dead to me. 
And Bruce needs to be Bruce and go medieval on his ass and recoup every last penny he can plus fight for him not being able to get this year counted. F both these guys! Super wack we waited and got left waiting, we are the pinnacle of incompetence.

I’m normally not a fan of can we all just get along, but in this case I think we need to give him an extension and up his guaranteed money and move on from the PR nightmare. Make it seem like it was about money and have the medical staff stuff die down. That’s what he smart play at this point in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, carex said:

no it isn't because this is not something that's happened before, and if he can redefine what holding out and reporting is team owners would support them

It's inapplicable to 99% of GMs and FOs because it'd never get to that point.  It usually doesn't.  

And they define these sort of things in the CBA.  Other than that, they pretty much roll with precedence from arbitration cases.  

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I mean, I’ve been killing Bruce for years for being inept, but I actually held out some glimmer of hope that not even his dumbass would really let this thing end up here.  

That's what you get for being an optimist. :P;)

29 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If Trent refuses to play the Redskins ought to have an argument that he never reported.

I said before the season started that when he finally started playing determined how I felt about how he handle this nonsense.  He loses credibility with me completely if he reports and refuses to play then tries to claim a full year.  He must be high.

Just now, SoCalSkins said:

I’m normally not a fan we all just get along advocate, but in this case I think we need to give him an extension and up his guaranteed money and move on from the PR nightmare. Make it seem like it was about money and have the medical staff stuff die down. That’s what he smart play at this point in my opinion. 

Or maybe there's no extension to be worked out, because he wasn't after the money.  The only chance they'd have to salvage the relationship is by immediately settling his fines and finding a path forward. 

It probably would've never even been a holdout if the FO had asked him to show up, waived his fines, and agreed to work towards a trade.  

2 minutes ago, megared said:

Or maybe there's no extension to be worked out, because he wasn't after the money.  The only chance they'd have to salvage the relationship is by immediately settling his fines and finding a path forward. 

It probably would've never even been a holdout if the FO had asked him to show up, waived his fines, and agreed to work towards a trade.  

We are where we are regardless of how it could have been handled better. Money can quickly heal raw wounds players have.  No one has said anything publicly that makes it impossible to recover. Throw money at it and no one will even remember it once the new league year starts in March.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I said before the season started that when he finally started playing determined hownibfwlt he handled husband of this nonsense.  He loses credibility with me completely if he reports and refuses to play then tries to claim a full year.  He must be high.

You must have been high when you wrote this.

55 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

At the very least, he can step on the field and play like a turnstile 

Nah, I don't think Williams would do that.

Adrian Peterson is one of his closest friends. I doubt Trent would half-ass it out there and let his friend get his clock cleaned by some defensive player.

Nor letting the QB get nailed by a defensive player. He would lose respect of all the other players if he took his grievance with the front office out on the field.

7 minutes ago, megared said:

If it wasn’t about money then he wouldn’t have shown up. 

I think the FO botched it with Trent big time.  But no way I am throwing more money to Trent to appease him.  He has two years left on that contract.  He was the highest paid LT in the league for a spell.  You sign a long term contract and yeah that's how it rolls eventually someone get paid more at the tail end of the contact who is worse than you -- that's just the nature of FA.

Keim talked about hearing that they want to extend Kerrigan.  Wonder if they make a point to Trent in part by extending Kerrigan?   

2 minutes ago, megared said:

What about this FO strikes you as conciliatory? 

I'm sure they're sitting in Dan's office right now, plotting revenge.  

They like their stars. Trent is Bruce’s first 1st round pick. I don’t think he wants his Hall of Fame first rounder walking out the door...

Just now, PartyPosse said:

If it wasn’t about money then he wouldn’t have shown up. 

It absolutely wasn't about the money.  It's about him accruing a season, and being closer to the Redskins not controlling his rights.  Otherwise he would've threatened to retire last off season.  

It’s a business. Trent tried to power play his way out with his timing. Bruce wanted to punish him so he held off trading him. Trent isn’t stupid and wants to accrue a year so he doesn’t get stuck in purgatory forever. 

Trent will take at least 2-4 weeks to get to in game shape, that takes us to week 12. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets a legitimate injury that is grossly over exaggerated and he doesn’t play a single down this year AND he gets his year and the Skins get nothing.

Morally it’s a different story. But from a business perspective Trent played this completely correctly and the Skins botched it.

5 minutes ago, SkinsGuy said:

Nah, I don't think Williams would do that.

Adrian Peterson is one of his closest friends. I doubt Trent would half-ass it out there and let his friend get his clock cleaned by some defensive player.

Nor letting the QB get nailed by a defensive player. He would lose respect of all the other players if he took his grievance with the front office out on the field.

I know. Not his kind anyway, guy is a real football player.

I was just going through the different possibilities of "reporting to the team, and still **** the team up one way or another".

31 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So... let me get this right given the reaction of this thread:

1) Some of you thought we’d get a first rounder + AT the trade deadline for Trent Williams 

And 

2) Some of you thought he wouldn’t show up and that he wouldn’t accrue a season just because he’s upset with the team... and he’d rather stay home and keep his contract at 2 years going into next season.

None of this is surprising. 

Yep all pretty much expected from where we were for the last few weeks really.

The one surprise to me - if true - is he has ‘reported’ but is refusing to play. He probably had better lawyers in his team than I do (I don’t have any) - but to me that means he’s not reported.

36 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If Trent refuses to play the Redskins ought to have an argument that he never reported.

That's what I am thinking.

I know that PFT article brought up the Joey Galloway situation from a few years ago  but didn't Galloway play that year?

I find it hard to believe that the NFL would allow this to be called "a year" if he does nothing but walk in and out of Ashburn Park once in a while.

Archived