Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To me Bruce's "that's why we signed him to the contract he has" statement basically means "he ain't getting more money...we already gave him plenty". 

I always find this ironic. I wonder what Zach Brown would have said if he was in the room. 

Maybe Snyder should just turn his team into a reality program instead of playing games in the NFL.   He seems to have more talent for producing drama than quality football.  His franchise always has a half a dozen storylines going along with constant conflict and drama.  When things get quiet for a while Snyder finds a way to stir the pot.  Recently he picked a guy with a cloud surrounding him, maybe it was just to mix things up.

After a well-received by most draft and a few weeks of relative bliss, Snyder's guy with the checkered past goes down in the OTAs, that had us all buzzing for a while.  Now one of his captains threatens a holdout if he doesn't get his deal redone.  It never ends.  I am waiting for Snyder to go all in and have one these guys declare he is really a she so we can enjoy all the facets of that plotline, maybe next season.  Snyder has run through all the conventional storyline its time to introduce something new like gender identity issues into the mix to keep us intrigued.

And for the record, I don't care, I'm fine with it.  I am definitely an identity as whatever gender you want guy, I don't care.  So spare me your scolding posts because I'm fine with it if she can play, preferably on the OL because we really need some help.  I mention this possibility just because Snyder hasn't run this story yet, but it is probably coming soon to our very own As The Franchise Turns.

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I may be in the minority here but I like Bruce's initial comments in this instance.

I was thinking being firm was the way to go also until Bruce Allen put his foot down, now I have my doubts because when is Allen right?

To me Williams is going for a money grab, Williams is long in the tooth in age and a constant participant on the  Lame and Lazy list.

Yes , Williams has been a main stay for the Skins franchise for years and a damn good all pro tackle.

I think Williams is anticipating a short window of playing time, due to injury and a toll on his ability to play a  16 game schedule is telling.

Plus,  a Skin fan would have to wonder.  Does Williams concede he can not handle a practice routine, plus a 16 game schedule, and recover from surgery for a tumor?

is Williams using the surgery and his tenure with the team as a bargaining chip for a extension?

I think he is. As Skin fans we have to face facts and accept the  offense is in a re build, and the Skins have to look to some young bloods to complete the youth movement.

I admit letting Williams walk will diminish the effectiveness of the o line.  is there a replacement for Williams on the roster as I speak ? No there is not.

The Skins will have to take a couple of punches to the chin and a few bloody noses this season if Williams walks. The Skins need to call Williams  on his threat and stand pat and insist Williams honors his contract. Hail

:247:

Bruce essentially said at the combine we are excessively committed contract wise along the OL. He has now taken a clear stance on Trents current contract.

We have the Scherff situation to resolve. Apparently we were the only other team to put a claim in on Desmond Harrison. 

There may well be a clear trend in the direction of travel here..:kickcan:

I suspect Trent was influenced by Kirk, going to bat for guaranteed contracts for players.  I stand alone firm in thinking Trent restructuring for us in 2015, so we could sign the free agent of the day, is in play here.  It's time for Bruce to restructure for him if they want to play Haskins anytime soon.

In the grand scheme of life, if we don't have a guaranteed contract for our ~best player, none of our players should have them.  Yes Trent's likely past his prime and injury prone, but the amount guaranteed should reflect that.

It may be too late.  Cleveland has even passed us as the laughing stock of the league, as they eye ball nabbing our best player on the cheap.

15 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Cleveland has a gaping hole at LT. 

They think they are close, may be worth exploring if TW really pushes our limits.

Theres absolutely no reason for this, but based on NFL history, I just have this feeling that the Browns are gonna crash and burn. I have a strong inclination to put money down on the under. Again, idk why, just a feeling because of all the hype. The preseason Johnny come lately hype teams never seem to do well 

I always respected Trent's play but he for some reason has never been one of my favorites.  Yes we could use him no question but I can't see giving him a new deal since he as two years remaining and at his age and injured past.

If he's going to sit out then trade him but only for a first rounder.  If you can't get that then let him sit for the year and see how long he can take that.

16 minutes ago, mojo said:

Trade the man.   We’ve basically sucked for his entire career, we can suck without him.

And this is true..it's the tough truth unfortunately...I tell ya this organization is just.. idk...go back to when Trent was drafted.. only other o-lineman I remember was the one the Seahawks took.. I remember it was a toss-up between him and Trent.. the Skins did the right thing by drafting Trent, so I wonder where Trent ranks among all other left tackles Since he was drafted I would imagine pretty high, how do you have one of the best left tackles in the game for several years and have a 💩 offense?

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

And this is true..it's the tough truth unfortunately...I tell ya this organization is just.. idk...go back to when Trent was drafted.. only other o-lineman I remember was the one the Seahawks took.. I remember it was a toss-up between him and Trent.. the Skins did the right thing by drafting Trent, so I wonder where Trent ranks among all other left tackles Since he was drafted I would imagine pretty high, how do you have one of the best left tackles in the game for several years and have a 💩 offense?

Quite easily.  The Browns sucked with Joe Thomas too and he's one of the best ever.

12 hours ago, BTBIRD 227 said:

To me Williams is going for a money grab, Williams is long in the tooth in age and a constant participant on the  Lame and Lazy list.

Yes , Williams has been a main stay for the Skins franchise for years and a damn good all pro tackle.

I think Williams is anticipating a short window of playing time, due to injury and a toll on his ability to play a  16 game schedule is telling.

Plus,  a Skin fan would have to wonder.  Does Williams concede he can not handle a practice routine, plus a 16 game schedule, and recover from surgery for a tumor?

is Williams using the surgery and his tenure with the team as a bargaining chip for a extension?

I think he is. As Skin fans we have to face facts and accept the  offense is in a re build, and the Skins have to look to some young bloods to complete the youth movement.

I admit letting Williams walk will diminish the effectiveness of the o line.  is there a replacement for Williams on the roster as I speak ? No there is not.

The Skins will have to take a couple of punches to the chin and a few bloody noses this season if Williams walks. The Skins need to call Williams  on his threat and stand pat and insist Williams honors his contract. Hail

:247:

Agreed. Trents time is passing. Its just how it is.

13 hours ago, Veryoldschool said:

I was thinking being firm was the way to go also until Bruce Allen put his foot down, now I have my doubts because when is Allen right?

Well Bruce  or not, I just think its crappy after the decent draft and future out look the team has mustered up this off season, to have a guy like TW with 2 years left on his contract pull a power play and rock the boat. Maybe he was bored and so used to the typical redskin drama that he figured he'd creat some.

17 hours ago, Smooters said:

It's hard for me to relate to a millionaire who wants more money. I say let him go. But what do I know? I've never had millionaire problems.

I'm a thousandaire and I want more money.  He's just on another level.

I've read that you can't get much for a guy who's missed 13 games the past 3 seasons and has had two suspensions. I've already read that you could get a mighty haul and another team with no doubt a better medical staff would keep him on the field more.

I don't know. If he wants MORE money. Then it needs to be tied directly to being on the field. If he's done with the Skins. Then you move him to a team desperate for OL help like Houston for a mix of future picks and maybe some depth players.

Moving him should mean an unofficial thought that Haskins might start the year at your #1 QB. Not that I want to see Keenum get hurt. But I'd rather a rookie not get the Patrick Ramsey treatment behind this OL. Also probably should cool Jay's seat a little. Sending him into the season without a LT is a losing prospect. 

Third scenario is telling him to shove it and just sit out while losing game checks. That seems lose/lose. 

Personally, if moving on from him (while getting value) is the choice. Then you need to be that team that doesn't let their players dick them around anymore or embarrass them off the field.  That means another Mason Foster situation is unacceptable.

i say give him the third option, the one in which Snyder gives him a TV and tells him to go home and watch. His contract is up in 2 years. Good luck at near 34.
This is a shakedown attempt, using Haskins health and development and zero depth as leverage.

So let him know what demands end up getting him. 6 weeks ago he presumably felt the same way if it's the medical staff he's upset with,and 6 weeks ago the Redskins would have had more option to be able to try and make a move.

But he waited til now, painting the team as deep into a corner as he could. First he said he wanted a new deal or to be traded, then  after a day of backlash, oh, uh, it's the uh, doctors,   yeah. that's it.. it's the healthcare..

"Whenever they say it isn't about money, it's about money" - Deion Sanders.

Trade for someone if we have to, but do not trade him. Send him home.

~Bang

Now that my irritation level has decreased and I see things more rationally I think maybe the Skins should renegotiate Trent's contract and have some performance clauses built into the new agreement so Trent gets paid more for playing more.   Obviously it would be highly desirable for the team to benefit from having Williams in the line up for the next 4 or 5 years if that is possible.  That said, If a older player with a substantial injury and suspension history like Williams wants to extent or plus up his current contract a sharing of the performance risk needs to be factored in so Trent benefits in proportion to his contribution and while the Skins bear a major part of the performance risk the team has some protection if Trent is unable to play due to injury or suspension.  I think strong, well run organizations quietly and proactively work to resolve predictable extension issues without public controversy.  I don't think Trent Williams is the knucklehead here I lay this problem at the owners feet, he is a still a ham handed amateur after 20 years.

Seems like the timeline most likely went like this:

In Season: 

Trent has something on his head, training staff says all the O-Line men across the league have bumps on their heads.  It's the nature of the position.

Post Season: 

1) Lump still there, Trent get's it looked at, doctors are worried and want him to have it removed immediately and tested to see if it is cancerous. Discovered to be malignant.

2) Trent is a bit pissed at the team training staff.  This was a big deal, could have been a huge deal.  He tells the team as much and the team say something along the lines of we hear you buddy, you are our rock, we agree this is bad and something needs to happen. (But then nothing happens)

3) Trent doesn't come to optional OTA's, no one thinks anything of it.  There is no digging into what is going on.  He trains on his own all the time.

4) Mandatory OTA's start and Trent isn't there and people ask why.  Now we find out that something happened and Trent isn't happy.  He wants something.  A new contract?  Compensation for the scare?  New training staff?  Who knows.

5)  So here we are.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, skinzplay said:

I'm with KDawg on this one........this move, whether orchestrated by the agent or by Williams himself, is deliberate. He had the surgery in February, so I don't want to hear that he somehow, all of a sudden decided to be pissed off with the team doctors now. He waited til after the draft, after free agency.........and now the team is in a terrible predicament, with few viable options on the market. As a fan, these kinds of moves diminish my respect for players. Without question, his health is most important, so I'm happy that the growth was not malignant. But to couple his supposed anger at the doctors with his demand for a new contract is too much for me. He got a contract extension in 2015 that pays him more than handsomely, so I'm not crying any tears over here for his financial situation. I like the guy and appreciate what he's done for the team, but this move just doesn't sit well with me.

You do not know the bold to be fact. You are reacting to reports. Trent nor the team has actually said anything confirming it to be about money. If it is just a ploy to get more money then I agree but we do not know this to be true.

As for the timing screwing the team - if there was a problem with the medical staff that was as egregious as has been reported then this may have been the only way he saw to bring attention to it. The players will be supporting him. I do not know this to be fact either. So I am waiting to hear the full details before making judgement.

Unrelated to the comment above - I have seen some comments about Bruce Allen saying "I know the truth" and then making reference that Trent has a good contract. But I believe there is a big piece missing from Bruce's conversation. Here is the full statement:

"I know what Trent told me so I know what the truth is," Allen said Friday via NBC Sports Washington. "I'll leave my conversation with Trent between the two of us."

Could Bruce be lying? Possibly. He is pretty much a slime ball. But this would seem a stretch even for him. So it seems the two have talked. He is either protecting himself or respecting Trent's privacy.

I reiterate we really do not have enough details to make any decision on who is right or wrong or what needs to happen. I am encouraged that if Bruce is telling the truth and he has talked to Trent, they could still work this out so he stays a Redskin.

Time will tell. 

Maybe instead of a sports training staff he should have gotten a second opinion from physicians more geared towards such things.

Sort of common practice when something potentially serious is discovered.

~Bang

Archived