• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

VERY IMPORTANT regarding my posts above: Again, I'm not defending Bruce.  I'm just pointing out reasoning which seems to fit the facts.  You can disagree with the reasoning, which I do for the most part.  I just think it's important to try and figure out WHY they are taking the approach they are.  

There is the "it's just spite" option.  Which is a possibility.  But I actually think if Bruce thought he could get value from Trent for this year, and look good doing it, he would do it.  Maybe not.  Not sure.  

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so they could Keyshon him.  Was Bruce there when they sat Keyshon and refused to play him for half a season in Tampa?  I'm guessing yes?

I can't recall if Allen was still there - but the while the Bucs deactivated Keyshon they still paid him. They had to to retain his rights. 

• Like 1

Just now, illone said:

I think he loses game checks while away, which for him are around $650K per week... 

Skins must have really pissed him off.

and yet he won't explain how and recommends the team to friends

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, so they could Keyshon him.  Was Bruce there when they sat Keyshon and refused to play him for half a season in Tampa?  I'm guessing yes?

Teams can suspend players for conduct detrimental to the team for up to 4 games I believe.  But I don't think holding out falls under that kind of conduct.  If Bruce tried Trent would would file a grievance and make things really ugly. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, carex said:

Curious..isnt it

So it's Wednesday and nothing new on the Trent front.........safe to say it's a no-go for the Cowboys game?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So it's Wednesday and nothing new on the Trent front.........safe to say it's a no-go for the Cowboys game?

You should copy this post and save it and re-post every Wednesday until November.

It's going to be the same. 

This thread, meanwhile, will be one of the fastest growing threads on the board with exactly zero new information.  

8 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Curious..isnt it

Image result for curious george

Trent really left us hanging with this move. We need to wisen up and trade him yesterday. SMH, wake up Bruce, put the natty down and start working the phones.

If Trent reports for the 6 to 8 games, it shows what his true intentions were the whole time, In fact, all the prognosticators about his unhappiness and unwilling to report should become TMZ employees. It would be nice to send him to the bottomless of bottomless pit team to get some git back. He was shown more than enough respect by fans and SOME in the administration.

Go Figure that out

Yeah if TW shows up for just enough games to make sure he gets his salary and this year is counted then that will be pretty revealing and will make any claim that it was about principle, the team doctors, whatever, specious at best. I also think it could turn teammates against him.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah if TW shows up for just enough games to make sure he gets his salary and this year is counted then that will be pretty revealing and will make any claim that it was about principle, the team doctors, whatever, specious at best. I also think it could turn teammates against him.

I agree. 

I don't think he can get his entire salary though...he can accrue the season and he can receive the game checks for the weeks he's here, but he cannot recoup the money for the weeks he didn't report. But, none of that changes your point...

• Like 2

He would be stupid not to show up.  It's the only leverage he has left.  If he doesn't show up, the season doesn't count and it's a year of his career he loses.  What you should be worried about is management allowing a scenario like that to happen in the first place.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

He gets his entire base salary from the week he reports. He is losing weekly game checks worth $638K each. So given he has not reported this week he is now out $1.2M for those keeping count at home.

I need to show up in a TW jersey and collect that paycheck. I don't even think they'd even notice.

....I"m 5'7, white, and run a 7.2 second 40.

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

I need to show up in a TW jersey and collect that paycheck. I don't even think they'd even notice.

....I"m 5'7, white, and run a 7.2 second 40.

I would want evidence of that 7.2

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Sadly I'm ready for Trent to be an ex-Redskins.

Take Morgan Moses with you.

Draft two tackles in 2020.

I would advise Redskins fans to watch Georgia games (AndrewThomas), Iowa games (Tristan Wirfs) and Tennessee (Trey Smith). 

• Like 2

They did just fine without him... If Miami can get that haul for Tunsil (who was arguably the worst player on the field for Houston this past Monday night) then do it, do it now (in my Arnold voice)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is the "it's just spite" option.  Which is a possibility.  But I actually think if Bruce thought he could get value from Trent for this year, and look good doing it, he would do it.  Maybe not.  Not sure.  

No way to know.  But listening to people cover the story as for what they hear behind the scenes (granted it could be wrong) it isn't that Bruce doesn't think he can get value for Trent -- its that jobs are on the line and its a win now season and they have a better shot to do it with Trent.

I am not going to bring up the name of the other infamous contract impasse from years back but I do recall Finlay a couple of times say when he talked to people what he learned is they don't mind renting that QB for another year (and they didn't want to trade him) because its all about the upcoming season.  They don't care about seasons beyond that and they are living in the now.  He defended it by saying plenty other teams operate the same.  So using the same logic here, winning a show down with Trent means more to the present than any pick up for future draft picks. 

I don't think it's an accident that this team under Dan has always been a buyer not a seller of veterans as to high draft picks.  The veterans they unload are typically busts or dissapointments for late round picks.  They don't play the Patriots game of selling their players at the height of their market value -- Dan doesn't roll like that.  It's part of the reason why I want this to happen so bad -- I'd love to see them change this approach finally.  It would be a watershed type of move for Dan's regime. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

It’s impossible to overstate how loaded next year’s draft class is. 

Get it together, Bruce. This W chasing you around... just accept the win.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, carex said:

👀

I am rarely on the side of the players for holdouts as they should take shorter deals if they are elite.

In the case of Trent, he is the rare exception. Depending on the overall health, can certainly see him playing 5 more years at a high level. Look at Peters,even with the injuries, and Whitworth. Trent is the same type of athlete. Think he can go for a while yet.

Pay him. 

Turn the page. 

N.B. Geron Christian isn't ready, and even if he does get there, perhaps he will be needed at RT. 

Edited by Silvernon

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

No it certainly wouldn't be revealing. If Trent still wants to play but not for the Redskins he has three options, being cut, traded or making it to free agency. Making it to free agency is the only option that he can influence that the Redskins can't stop and to do that he needs to get credit for the year - waiting till the last moment minimizes what he has to provide the Redskins. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

Want worse? Wait until Williams shows up, is around long enough to accrue a season, and then fakes an injury.

I don't think Trent really cares about accruing a season. His plans probably don't revolve around service time to get out after 2020, but I could be wrong. You'e right that him showing up late and collecting salary for a team that's probably no longer in contention is a bit of a worst case scenario.

But, if he really wants out, I can't figure why he'd fake an injury and drastically reduce the odds he could be traded.

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, in this case, and in this case only, I see why the 'Skins did what they did. For the following, let's say for a second that Bruce really thinks he needs to win this year.  

And this gets to the 2 real symptoms of stupidity this brings up.

1. The "win now" mode. We have no business being in such a mode. We're probably not a top 10 team even int eh conference and we have young talent to build around. To be sacrificing anything of the future for wins now is so wrong headed I struggle to find words to describe it.

And you're right, it seems understandable why Brice would be in such "win now" mode, if he believes its what would save his job. And therein lies the ridiculous incompetence of Daniel Snyder. Giving a coach one more season to prove themselves has an inherent logic to it. Having a GM in such position creates so many incentive to not do what is right for your team that only a dunderheaded owner would think that is a smart way to conduct his franchise.

2. Even under the win now auspice, this is potentially a case of Bruce shooting himself in the foot. If Trent holds out all year, or comes back late in the year, maybe after the team is out of the running, is out of shape and ends up taking way more money than he's worth, does that really add up to "winning now"? Of course not. Meanwhile, if he's trying to sell Dan on his job performance, wouldn't an extra 1st and a bunch of extra cap space, added to the 1st round QB and other young talent, be the way to do it? What the hell would he be able to sell from this situation? "Yeah, we had a bad year, and I didn't get anything for Trent and he's year older and definitely leaving next season for nothing, but I really proved a point by not giving in to him, so you should give me an extension"?

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1