Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

Just now, sjinhan said:

If browns offer at least 1st and a 3rd then we gotta jump on that trade!

We would pass, again. 

C2363E20-27A3-4E60-93EE-E4B51B89C0D1.gif

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I just listened to it.  Laconfora said the Redskins still have their head in the sand about trading him.  He doesn't see Trent changing his mind at least in the short term.  

He thinks he's better than Tunsil.  And he thinks it would take a significant offer for the Redskins to dislodge.  Laconfora said if he were the Redskins he would want a first and a 2nd.  

The Browns radio guy seemed so desperate for obtaining Trent, I'd love it if Dorsey was feeling the same way. 😀

Houston thinks Trent is better than Tunsil too. 

5 hours ago, carex said:

it's possible that the front office thinks that once he does come back, he'll stay.  Or maybe they like the cap implications better for this rather than trading him now

I don't think TW staying helps the Redskins long-term though. He's not going to become better or more durable over the next couple years...and to keep him beyond 2020, they'd have to come up with a new contract. 

40 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't think TW staying helps the Redskins long-term though. He's not going to become better or more durable over the next couple years...and to keep him beyond 2020, they'd have to come up with a new contract. 

And what are the chances of him signing long term here. We’re turning down elite draft picks for what is likely to be less than 20 games of Trent. Inexcusable.

I look at Penn the same way I looked at Ty Nseke.  They are capable in having a role on the O-line, but there is a reason they aren't (in Penn's case no longer) starters.  Penn is near 36 years old. I know that age isn't what it used to mean, but I do worry about him wearing down as the season goes along. 

Trent is out there sipping rum punch not giving a **** about this ****show. 

Bruce Allen is here thinking he is making a point when in reality he is hurting the team to save his ego. 

How'd that work out for you last time, bruce?

So does trent show up around game 9 and fake an injury or does bruce just bench him to further his point? It's gonna get really disfunctional. 

4 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

So does trent show up around game 9 and fake an injury or does bruce just bench him to further his point? It's gonna get really disfunctional. 

Honestly, they've set the bar for dysfunctional.  I honestly don't see it getting worse.  They may prove me wrong, but I fail to see how.

11 minutes ago, sempre_victrix said:

Honestly, they've set the bar for dysfunctional.  I honestly don't see it getting worse.  They may prove me wrong, but I fail to see how.

Want worse? Wait until Williams shows up, is around long enough to accrue a season, and then fakes an injury. Now his trade value is hurt because he's injured (again) whether true or not (if it's obvious he's not telling the truth, teams won't want to shell out too much for him given he's capable of doing this again) and we have one less year of control with him. And then in the offseason he'll make it a big thing he wants to be traded and the team will have that distraction floating around some more.

Gross player/roster mismanagement.

The FO has gotten MUCH better at talent evaluation, drafting, not spending stupid money and getting younger.

They are still poor at relying on injury prone players and general roster management.

I think he does have more value to the skin's right now IF you can get him on the field . But his value to the team on the field goes down if a combination of Penn and Teller ( fine Flowers) is solid and the offense can operate as is . That's when I think trade talks make more sense .

If the Skin's could have won on Sunday this would be a totally different conversation . 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Want worse? Wait until Williams shows up, is around long enough to accrue a season, and then fakes an injury. Now his trade value is hurt because he's injured (again) whether true or not (if it's obvious he's not telling the truth, teams won't want to shell out too much for him given he's capable of doing this again) and we have one less year of control with him. And then in the offseason he'll make it a big thing he wants to be traded and the team will have that distraction floating around some more.

Gross player/roster mismanagement.

The FO has gotten MUCH better at talent evaluation, drafting, not spending stupid money and getting younger.

They are still poor at relying on injury prone players and general roster management.

So, in this case, and in this case only, I see why the 'Skins did what they did. For the following, let's say for a second that Bruce really thinks he needs to win this year.  

Let's say Trent came and asked for a trade in January.  Bruce might have been willing to trade Trent then because they could have had a draft pick in this year's draft and helped the team THIS YEAR. He also could have been more aggressive in FA because he knew that they had a hole on the left side of the line, big time.   Because Trent waited until after FA and the draft, he put Bruce in a pickle.  Bruce could trade him, but it would most likely be for a 2020 draft pick, which doesn't help this year's team at all.  And Bruce might not be here next year, so why would he want to do that?

So, the next course of action is to do nothing.  Trent doesn't get paid, the team doesn't pay him, and the leverage shifts back to the team.  The "on the field" situation is exactly the same as if he had been traded for 5 first round picks. It's no different.  

Now Trent has to make a decision, he has to report at some point in order to make this year count.  The question is when.  And that's going to be a huge circus when it happens.  If he doesn't report, the 'Skins still control his rights for the next 2 seasons.

So, in this scenario where Bruce thinks he's got to win, I think he turned a non-leveraged situation into a leveraged situation.  The question is going to be what happens when Trent returns, and when he returns.  What I don't know is if the team can turn him away even if he reports.  So they are 3-6 in week 10 when he comes back, could they just say, "yeah, no thanks?" Or do they have to let him report and pay him, whether they play him or not.  That's a question I don't know the answer to.  

Obviously if they are in playoff contention when he returns, you play him.  Personally, depending on how things go, I might see if he could move to RT and let Penn stay at LT.  Because that combination might be better than having Moses false start and hold all the damn time. Penn tried to play RT last year, and it didn't go so well.  

EDIT: I am not defending the action.  I would have taken the pick and moved on.  Just saying I understand where it's coming from.  Understanding and defending are mutually exclusive.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So they are 3-6 in week 10 when he comes back, could they just say, "yeah, no thanks?" Or do they have to let him report and pay him, whether they play him or not.  That's a question I don't know the answer to.  

The team can't turn him away. They can release him, they can sit him but they cant just refuse him the ability to return. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Good reply @Voice_of_Reason

But,

football isnt just about on the field stuff. At any level. Human psychology is always a part of it. As well as roster management and asset management. On the field is just a part of the whole.

I would tweak this. 

On field is what matters - it's the end. But human psychology, roster management and asset management is an undervalued part of the means.

It's looking like he'll be back by game 8, maybe before in which I think he gets his entire salary if so.  I know TW is having issues but to me this is taking advantage of the situation with the Skins and I think it's wrong and looks bad on both sides.  TW taking 1/2 a season off IF it transpires that way and the Skins FO being soft and letting him get away with such an ordeal.  TW needs professional counseling, prayers of those of his family and friends and his butt needs to be back at Redskins park.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would tweak this. 

On field is what matters - it's the end. But human psychology, roster management and asset management is an undervalued part of the means.

I think it's undervalued by a lot of fans and moron executives.  But most successful folks worth their salt know very well the importance of all 3 and how it factors into their individual success.

3 minutes ago, MartinC said:

The team can't turn him away. They can release him, they can sit him but they cant just refuse him the ability to return. 

Ok, so they could Keyshon him.  Was Bruce there when they sat Keyshon and refused to play him for half a season in Tampa?  I'm guessing yes?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Good reply @Voice_of_Reason

But,

football isnt just about on the field stuff. At any level. Human psychology is always a part of it. As well as roster management and asset management. On the field is just a part of the whole.

I don't disagree.  But in Bruce's mind there could be 2 things: #1, it sets a precedent that a player can just demand a trade and the team will acquiesce at any point. #2 Having Trent come back and play is better than not, so it's worth the headache of trying to get him to come back and play.

Also, they have until week 6 to trade him, so they still could do that.  

By not doing anything, Bruce is keeping his options open.

From "The Hunt for Red October" - Son, I'm politician, which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies, I'm stealing their lollipops.  But it also means I keep my options open.. 

That defines Bruce to a T.  

11 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would tweak this. 

certainly undervalued by Bruce.  

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

It's looking like he'll be back by game 8, maybe before in which I think he gets his entire salary if so.  

He gets his entire base salary from the week he reports. He is losing weekly game checks worth $638K each. So given he has not reported this week he is now out $1.2M for those keeping count at home.

Archived