Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I guess I am coming from a different place on this point.  I can care less about Trent, Bruce, or Dan's feelings.  For all I know they can be giving each other a group hug right now and Trent is saying he's back next week.  I want to trade him regardless.  

On a scale of 0-10.  Trading Trent for a good haul to me is a 10 out of 10.   Trent coming back (purely from a trade opportunity cost to me) is a 2 out of 10.  Trent and the Redskins in a stand off is 0 out of 10 for me.

Were you wanting this before hearing about Trent wanting to be traded or released? I honestly don't know, haven't been following all the discussions like I normally do. But I am curious if you've been discussing trading Williams like back in January or whenever, when it was assumed he'd be a Redskin for life (and wanted to be).

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This isn't directly aimed at you because I cannot recall your opinion...

But I've seen a lot of folks in here poop all over Trent for missing games, smoking weed, not a leader, not as good as people act like he is...

But when rumors come that he may return, folks want their pro bowl LT back.

2 of the 3 are valid worries but he's been here 10 years and has 7 pro bowls under his belt.  If we're truly trying to change the perception of this team then being loyal to those who have been loyal to us is a good start.  Players around the league see this stuff, don't think for a minute that they don't take notice to a team that tosses away a 10-year vet who has dedicated a decade of his life to his team and has excelled while doing it.

That's my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

What would this mean for Donald Penn, he said he spoke to Williams and then decided to sign for the Redskins as long as he was the starter, can he play LG. 

HTTR 

I heard Penn say he would play swing or whatever if Trent came back.  Too bad we couldn't get him some work at LG in the preseason.

1 minute ago, markmills67 said:

What would this mean for Donald Penn, he said he spoke to Williams and then decided to sign for the Redskins as long as he was the starter, can he play LG. 

HTTR 

Williams can't guarantee anyone they will be the starter. What he can tell Penn, though, is that his holdout is real or that chances are he wouldn't be back, so the opportunity to start was legit. 

3 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Seems that he's specifically not coming back Week One.

Think @Califan007 gets where I'm coming from, Trent comes back without any change in contract instead holding us ransom or never coming back is a total 180 and Bruce deserves credit for how it turned out

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

That's exactly what I would do, put your best players on the field and extend Trents career by doing that.  He may hate it, but he convinced someone and take his job for him, tough ****

15 minutes ago, mcdonaldrw said:

So with Trent supposedly coming back, does anyone else think we will see the same hustle we got out of Haynesworth when it was clear he didn't want to be here.  

Not only that it's like Trent is going to be in game day shape as soon as he walks in the building.

What about the commitment made to Penn???? Put Trent at LG? WTF????

Listening to that postcast with D. Hall who said he spoke to both Bruce and Trent.  Highlights:

A.  Bruce is sore about the timing of when Trent asked for a trade.  He told D.  Hall if you want a trade then tell him in January or February before FA not in Mini Camp.  D. Hall implied that Bruce told him one of the main reasons why Bruce is stubborn about not trading him is to make a point to Trent about how poor his timing was.  

B.  Trent's beefs are both the medical staff and money.

C.  Bruce is willing to cater to Trent's desires about the medical staff -- he told Trent tell him who to fire and he will fire that person.   Trent said he doesn't want to cost people their jobs. 

D.  They also want to make a point to Trent about money which is they aren't going to buckle for a hold out.  

E.  He thinks Trent eventually returns this season with or without a raise but he will do the same dance next year if its not settled and then they'd have to franchise him to keep him after that -- if they don't agree to a contract that he thinks is fair. 

D. Hall said if it were him he'd have traded Trent because if a player wants out, he'd let them out.  He added that it was likely a missed opportunity to trade him to the Texans.  He said he got into his thoughts on this and more with Bruce but Bruce counter argued it all.  And Bruce then got into a discussion of how good this team could be if certain things go down. 

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

From what I remember of Deangelo Hall's comments about Trent, there was some slight optimism in the words he used. He may have modified his words in different interviews, though.

Anyway, I remember when he said he asked Trent if he was gonna be showing up at Redskins Park this week so that he could have the scoop (he seemed to say it was meant half-jokingly to Trent). And he said Trent's response was that there was "zero" chance he would be at Redskins Park "this week." I remember thinking, he didn't say "this season"...or "ever"...he said "this week". Does that mean there is a chance he shows up some other week, just not this week?

Is it just a coincidence that, shortly after I type this post we get twitter reports that Trent may indeed be reporting to the team in the coming weeks?...I THINK NOT!! lol...

I think it's obvious now--Trent reads my posts.

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I heard Penn say he would play swing or whatever if Trent came back.  Too bad we couldn't get him some work at LG in the preseason.

He retired as he hated playing Guard, at least what was reported. I could see him coming in for Moses when he gets hurt and for Trent. On this team playing swing T gets you fairly significant playing time.

So I could easily see him happy with playing swing T.  You might even get a minor rotation to keep Trent Moses fresh throughout the season. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A.  Bruce is sore about the timing of when Trent asked for a trade.  He told D.  Hall if you want a trade then tell him in January or February before FA not in Mini Camp.  D. Hall implied that Bruce told him one of the main reasons why Bruce is stubborn about not trading him is to make a point to Trent about how poor his timing was.  

Throw out Bruce's name so I don't get into a "Bruce off" with anyone.

I think any GM in the league would expect this, its not too much to ask and not disclosing your displeasure with the team until the last minute is a dick move.  IMO

Mind blown if TW comes back.

SIP thanks for the bullets. Sounds like all of our hopes and fears confirmed. BA would fire anyone to keep TW, but TW really seems to be more about the money than taking a stand about the medical staff. BA was too stubborn in trying to discipline TW for the ****ed up timing of his holdout that he may have really ****ed the team over. Watch TW return week 10 when we're 3-7 just to get the "accrued season" under his belt.

After seeing what the Texans traded for the Dolphins, they were clearly desperate... Tunsil and Stills for multiple first rounders... I wonder what TW and Docston would have fetched.

21 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Were you wanting this before hearing about Trent wanting to be traded or released? I honestly don't know, haven't been following all the discussions like I normally do. But I am curious if you've been discussing trading Williams like back in January or whenever, when it was assumed he'd be a Redskin for life (and wanted to be).

Yes.  I don't recall when it started but yeah it's been discussed on the draft thread and before all of this went down.  It wasn't my idea back then but I agreed with multiple people who liked the idea. 

You have a young roster.  you have talent.  But take it up a notch and go for the kill.  If you can get 13 million off your books and land hopefully a really good young LT on the cheap and hopefully with an emerging Haskins == then you might be cooking with oil.

Part of it for me is i am a skeptic about Trent's health.  I think now is the perfect time to trade him.  Trent hasn't hit Jordan Reed type status of being labeled injury prone but he's IMO just one more season away from being stuck with that label. 

5 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

He retired as he hated playing Guard, at least what was reported. I could see him coming in for Moses when he gets hurt and for Trent. On this team playing swing T gets you fairly significant playing time.

So I could easily see him happy with playing swing T.  You might even get a minor rotation to keep Trent Moses fresh throughout the season. 

Heres a post on HH with the presser where he says he would play swing.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/7/31/20748823/donald-penn-redskins-presser-spoke-to-trent-williams-before-signing-happy-to-be-playing-left-tackle

Archived