Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Trent'll package up quite nicely with AP, if he starts kicking and screaming about not wanting to be a backup. 

Bring back Perine, you know Jay wants to anyways.

Eventually our team needs to have players here that want to be here. Teaching lessons are overrated.

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't DHall say that there have been no conversations to work anything out with the FO?  I could swear that was part of it.  

He may have...I remember, though, him saying Trent told him there were still issues that had not been addressed.

6 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Trent'll package up quite nicely with AP, if he starts kicking and screaming about not wanting to be a backup. 

Bring back Perine, you know Jay wants to anyways.

Eventually our team needs to have players here that want to be here. Teaching lessons are overrated.

Perine signed somewhere else already...don't remember where (Steelers?).

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

He may have...I remember, though, him saying Trent told him there were still issues that had not been addressed.

Perine signed somewhere else already...don't remember where (Steelers?).

The Bengals

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Santana_89 said:

The Bengals

Thanks

I bet Jay put in a good word for him with his former team 😉

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Nah, I don't think any of those scenarios are necessarily "wins". I just don't think any of them are even close to being major losses, either. If Trent comes back, the reality still exists that arguably our best player seriously considered retiring over playing for the Skins again. If we trade Williams, the haul better be damn good--I mean, DAMN good--or else the whole thing would have fizzled out to 'meh' level conclusion. If he sits out all season, then the reality that neither side did (or would do) enough to solve the issues doesn't give me warm and fuzzy feelings.

But going back to what Hall said and my (admittingly faulty) memory of his words, it doesn't sound like Trent genuinely would rather retire than play for the Skins, it does sound as if both sides have indeed been trying to get the issues addressed even if they haven't yet, and nobody knows if the Texans' offer to the Dolphins was based on how good they felt Tunsil is (highly doubt it, though), or on how desperate they may have felt the situation had become because Tunsil was apparently the only option available to them, or so they felt.

The article I shared with you on the Bruce thread about it being a unique opportunity for the Dolphins to be in the market for a QB -- also arguably (in the eyes of many draft geeks) pertains to the LT position.  It looks uniquely loaded at LT.

IMO its about opportunity cost.  The Eagles for example could have just gotten a 3rd round comp pick for Bradford.  And if they did that wouldn't have been a loss.  But instead they received a 1st and 4th, that's a major gain.  I'd like something like that to happen here.  If we are going to be all about the draft than double down on the seriousness of that approach IMO. 

I am not saying you are suggesting otherwise but I am explaining my thinking.  I'd want my FO to go for the kill to maximize and leverage the most they can out of situations.  It's something the Patriots are famous for.  It would be refreshing to see us do the same.  It amazes me that under Dan we just haven't rolled with getting high picks for veterans -- we've done in the reverse way.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-dolphins-tank-trade-20190902-ukrzbntcnfc7jirehsc66cxwg4-story.html

Just maybe, the Dolphins’ 20 years of dumb has been replaced by people smart enough to seize on a perfect storm of an unique timeline.

...And — pay attention, folks — two straight draft classes with franchise quarterbacks sitting there waiting to be plucked like clover.

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Thanks

I bet Jay put in a good word for him with his former team 😉

Or if he is fired his preferred running back is already on roster 😁😁 

• Haha 2

Never thought I'd see the day that hearing Trent will return to the team was bad news.  The most valuable trade piece on the entire roster who's best days will be behind him if and when this team ever ends up being good.  

• Like 2

Imagine that, Trent having a change of heart all of the sudden, who da thunk it?

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not saying you are suggesting otherwise but I am explaining my thinking.  I'd want my FO to go for the kill to maximize and leverage the most they can out of situations. 

I want them to as well...but in this case I'm fine if they don't.

Plus, I have no clue whatsoever what has actually taken place between Trent, Bruce, and Dan. For all the twitter reports, Hall interviews, and sourced leaks, Trent could be giving Bruce and Dan a more optimistic perception on his return than we are being given by the media. When Bruce says things like "I know the truth" and "I think he will be playing again...for the Redskins", it might not just be bumbling, lying Bruce being obtuse...there could be some validity and meaning behind why he's saying these things.

Plus, as great as it sounds to hear that the next draft is deep in LT prospects, that doesn't guarantee anything. 2012 was deep in QB prospects lol...and I guess it kinda was, just not the QBs everyone was expecting. If you've already got the elite talent, keep it, is what I say. Don't just assume you can replace it with a young player who may need 2-3 seasons to even reach that same level of production if you're lucky.  The same arguments for why Trent should fetch the Skins a bounty in draft pick are the same arguments why you try to keep him. I felt the same way about Kirk, only didn't like what his speculated asking price would have been.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 2

Just now, JSSkinz said:

Imagine that, Trent having a change of heart all of the sudden, who da thunk it?

I think many of us were well aware that missing paychecks might break the silence, no matter how much money he has put away.  in fact, I'm pretty sure that's what Bruce was thinking too.  The time to strike was last week by shipping him out.  If he returns, you've got a disgruntled guy suiting up to keep getting paid.  

• Like 1

Who doesn't love a disgruntled employee. AP: Misery loves company.

If Trent comes back I want Haskins in at the first sign of Case-n-Colt futility.  

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2

This is exactly why I wasn't reading into the D Hall comments from last week when Trent used creative wording like "wouldn't be back for week one".

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think many of us were well aware that missing paychecks might break the silence, no matter how much money he has put away.  in fact, I'm pretty sure that's what Bruce was thinking too.  The time to strike was last week by shipping him out.  If he returns, you've got a disgruntled guy suiting up to keep getting paid.  

Trading Trent should only happen if he absolutely didn't want to be here, if he comes back there's no doubt the "We should have traded him" narrative will be pushed down our throats because it carries on the outrage and conflict many feed off of.

I want our pro bowl LT on the team as soon as possible.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Plus, I have no clue whatsoever what has actually taken place between Trent, Bruce, and Dan. For all the twitter reports, Hall interviews, and sourced leaks, Trent could be giving Bruce and Dan a more optimistic perception on his return than we are being given by the media.

I guess I am coming from a different place on this point.  I can care less about Trent, Bruce, or Dan's feelings.  For all I know they can be giving each other a group hug right now and Trent is saying he's back next week.  I want to trade him regardless.  

On a scale of 0-10.  Trading Trent for a good haul to me is a 10 out of 10.   Trent coming back (purely from a trade opportunity cost to me) is a 2 out of 10.  Trent and the Redskins in a stand off is 0 out of 10 for me. 

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Plus, as great as it sounds to hear that the next draft is deep in LT prospects, that doesn't guarantee anything.

The draft is no guarantee.  That's true.  But it's the same thing that Gibbs and Vinny both alluded to when explaining why they were comfortable trading picks.  But it's all about playing the odds.  We can bring back Trent and he can get hurt next week or have another pot violation and be suspended for the whole season -- no guarantees on that either.  As to your examples.   The O line has one of the better hit rates in the draft in the first round.  QB has one of the worst.   

• Like 1

So with Trent supposedly coming back, does anyone else think we will see the same hustle we got out of Haynesworth when it was clear he didn't want to be here.  

Not only that it's like Trent is going to be in game day shape as soon as he walks in the building.

12 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Agreed.

Things might be a bit awkward but money trumps all in pro sports.  Will he play hard, give his all, play through injuries as in the past?  Time will tell IF he returns.  Still think trade should have been made.  But Bruce and the Dan believe the Paloffs are now - yippie.

This is more and more looking like a situation of Trent wanting to avoid training camp and/or possibly get new contract/more money.  

Edited by Idaho fan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I subscribe to the Athletic I'll take a look

Maybe you can post some of the juicy quotes, I can't access the podcast.

5 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Sooo...all the fans clamoring for Bruce to fire the "medical staff" to appease Trent...whaddaya think? lol...

And it would appear that Bruce and Trent have indeed had conversations and spoke to each other. At least if this latest tidbit is true...

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

This is exactly why I wasn't reading into the D Hall comments from last week when Trent used creative wording like "wouldn't be back for week one".

Trading Trent should only happen if he absolutely didn't want to be here, if he comes back there's no doubt the "We should have traded him" narrative will be pushed down our throats because it carries on the outrage and conflict many feed off of.

I want our pro bowl LT on the team as soon as possible.

This isn't directly aimed at you because I cannot recall your opinion...

But I've seen a lot of folks in here poop all over Trent for missing games, smoking weed, not a leader, not as good as people act like he is...

But when rumors come that he may return, folks want their pro bowl LT back.