• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

Owls0325

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Dear lord I hope the skins dont ship off ap!

That would be an excellent trade as they don't have a second round pick next draft.  Ship AP with TW to the Texans for a 1st and 2nd that would help solve the OL issues in the next draft.  Just trading AP for a second rounder would be a great deal. . 

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

He's a 34 year old RB and we aren't winning anything. It would be a miracle to get something of real value for him. It won't happen, don't worry. 

What....he's fresh off another 1.000+ yards and finished 8th in the NFL and still hungry.  Probably runs through a brick wall to play at home in Houston.  I say it's very possible and I'm sure the Texans will be calling DC. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

What....he's fresh off another 1.000+ yards and finished 8th in the NFL and still hungry.  Probably runs through a brick wall to play at home in Houston.  I say it's very possible and I'm sure the Texans will be calling DC. 

He's 34 years old and you can easily find productive RB's for cheaper. They just sent a 3rd for Duke Johnson. He doesn't fill the early down role like Miller did, but that's already a ton of draft capital sent for a vet RB on a second contract. I doubt they deal more draft capital for another vet RB. And if they're going to give up anything more than a 5th or so I bet they can do better than AP. 

I hope you're right and I'm wrong though, it would be great for us long-term. I just don't see it. 

What did the Saints get for AP two years ago when they traded him like week 4 or 6 or whatever? 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

They got rid of their future guy. Their reliable backup left for the jaguars. They have duke Johnson Jr who is not a 3 down back. Other than that it is nobodies. 

They could use AP. Perine

FTFY

2 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Nobody wants Perine, especially for a draft pick. He'll be cut in a couple of weeks. 

We can dream....

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, volsmet said:

They’ll be ok when they draft Lawrence. 

Peyton to Luck to Lawrence. 

Yeah being run over for years takes its toll. Hopefully we take protecting Haskins more seriously.

It would be just their Luck for it to go down like that, pun intended.  But that team is somewhat stacked now, ironically now their O line is really good so doubt they'd be in the running for Lawrence. 

pretty intense, got booed leaving the field

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It would be just their Luck for it to go down like that, pun intended.  But that team is somewhat stacked now, ironically now their O line is really good so doubt they'd be in the running for Lawrence. 

pretty intense, got booed leaving the field

Edit

Typical classless fans in Indy. I lived in that area for almost 10 yrs. Most of those fans barely know football. They really didn't even have an idea of what they had in Peyton Manning. I went to 6 or 8 games over a 6 yrs period and they would **** and moan about him all the time. But what can you say when you have a drug addict as an owner. Only owner/owner family that could seriously challenge Dan Snyder as worse POS owner. Snuck out at 2AM in the morning to leave town after promising to keep the team in Baltimore. Apple doesn't fall from the tree in that family. I hated the Colts then but I really felt bad for their fans. Kind of like how i felt when the Senators moved to Texas. 

Even with all that I didn't think they would boo Andrew Luck. I am no Andrew luck fan as I have thought he was over-rated from day 1. However, he has given his body, literally, to that team while they did almost nothing to protect him in those early years. I can certainly see that yet another set back is just too much to come back from.

My best wishes to him as he moves forward in life. I thought he was over-rated as a QB but by all accounts he is a really good guy as a person which transcends football. I wish him the best.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

He is forfeiting 58 million in future earnings, and has said he is mentally worn down.  To give up that kind of money, he must not be in a good place.  Best of luck to him.

Well, I dont disagree he's not good now.  However, at 29 years old and several million already he can likely get past the mental fairly quick if not pushing to get back and thinking about hurting again.  

He should have give or take 40 years left and hopefully the physical pain isn't lasting.  

7 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Typical classless fans in Indy. 

If true then they didn't deserve Luck in the first place.   

TW would be leaving for easily worse reasons and I wouldn't boo him (unless he was an Eagle, Cowboy, or Giant but still different).

It will however be a shame if they just fall into another star, after hearing this. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, panahoo said:

How about TW and a 5th to Houston for Clowney and a 2nd?

are we turning around and trading Clowney after?  Cause we don't need him

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, carex said:

are we turning around and trading Clowney after?  Cause we don't need him

Certainly dont want to pay him.  

Maybe sweat isn't the answer/Clowney level, but its be silly to trade up and then put him on the bench.

Edit: If there is a deal in place to get a 1st or 2nd/3rd from Miami then ok.  

Trent for 2 2nds and a 3rd, with the 2nd/3rd likely being high.  Not a first, but a solid return.  

Edited by jsharrin55

I was big on getting Clowney before the draft, but I honestly don't see the point now. I would expect Montez Sweat to become every ounce of the player that Clowney has been. 

Clowney IS 5 years younger than Kerrigan, but I can see Kerrigan having more productive years than Clowney. Kerrigan is always healthy, never misses games, and doesn't have a speed based game. Clowney is always injured to some degree and has bad knees. Not good. 

Now, Mike Evans, I could get behind. Tyreek Hill, if he wasn't such a POS, would make sense. Heck, I'd be perfectly happy with a late 1st. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Now, Mike Evans, I could get behind. Tyreek Hill, if he wasn't such a POS, would make sense. Heck, I'd be perfectly happy with a late 1st.  

I could get behind Mike Evans too, but I much prefer draft currency instead of players.

Trading Trent makes our OL situation desperate.  Especially if Scherff walks too.  We need draft ammo to have any hope of fixing the problem because the free agency class just isn't very appealing.  The other interior guys that I'd want are probably going to get extensions and the tackle class is terrible.

We're probably going to need to come out of the draft with two tackles, including one that can play on the left side immediately.  And there is a very real chance we need to find a starting caliber RG as well, and regardless, we need a backup guard too because I think Wes Martin will be starting at some point this year.  That's four new good players and, realistically, you're only going to get one of them in free agency.  A second first round pick (and hopefully some change) gives us a way better shot of addressing this problem.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

What did the Saints get for AP two years ago when they traded him like week 4 or 6 or whatever? 

Cards sent a conditional 6th to the saints, and AP met the playing time requirement so the saints did get the 6th round pick.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nola.com/sports/saints/article_0dbc837c-652c-52a7-b5b4-b9608f0ed800.amp.html

I agree with you, no way AP fetches anything close to a 2nd.  He is coming off a good year and we were all pleasantly surprised at how much he has in the tank, but nobody is giving up a 2nd round pick for a 34 year old with a million carries under his belt.  Considering we would be lucky to get a 4th or a 5th, I'd rather hang onto him.  Watching him in action is such a good example for the younger guys, he works his tail off and wants it more than anyone, I like that the young guys are seeing that first hand from one of the best in his generation.  I think that's more valuable than a late pick.  The mentoring of guice alone is invaluable.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 2

The hard reality is that next year we won't have Scherff or TW, if you look at how this FO has operated over the last 7 or 8 years they don't let players in their contract year make it to the season without a new contract.  If that happens the player is as good as gone. 

That's what happens with Bruce at the helm so we'll be replacing our only 2 quality players on the line next year unless this team does something they haven't done in quite some time.

Scherff is as good as gone.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The hard reality is that next year we won't have Scherff or TW, if you look at how this FO has operated over the last 7 or 8 years they don't let players in their contract year make it to the season without a new contract.  If that happens the player is as good as gone. 

That's what happens with Bruce at the helm so we'll be replacing our only 2 quality players on the line next year unless this team does something they haven't done in quite some time.

Franchise tag is an option, no? 

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

It definitely seems scherff will not resign before the start of the season, and I've heard the skins will be hesitant to tag him.   If that's the case, skins should gauge his trade value now too.  Scherff should get you at least a 2nd and change.  Our oline would be atrocious this year, and I doubt gruden wants to enter his make or break year down TW and BS, but if you know scherff isn't coming back would you rather have:

2020 2nd and 5th (at least) via trade

Or

2021 3rd via comp pick.

One more year of scherff is not worth that downgrade in draft capital.  Very disappointing the skins couldn't lock him up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HardcoreZorn said:

Franchise tag is an option, no? 

Of course but all that does is drag out the inevitable and let Scherff increase his value for when he eventually reaches free agency.

Its what happened with Kirk.  You might as well let him go and take the 3rd rd compensatory.

Edited by JSSkinz

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

Of course but all that does is drag the out the inevitable and let Scherff increase his value for when he eventually reaches free agency.

Its what happened with Kirk.  You might as well let him go and take the 3rd rd compensatory.

That's different picking what QB to build around is very different then what RG to  build around. You dont build around a RG.

there's also the transistion tag, plus limits on how much extra he can make since next year is the last year of the CBA

Man... you all are undervaluing elite level OL. Sherf has been a probowl guard since he was drafted. He's worth a first and change at a minimum. Trent is an elite LT. Worth a 1st and change. Never ever undersell on elite level OL.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's different picking what QB to build around is very different then what RG to  build around. You dont build around a RG.

If they sign him it will be a complete 180 on how they've done business since Bruce has been here, that's a fact.

It makes no sense to let a stud player go into his contract year unsigned if you have plans to sign him.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Man... you all are undervaluing elite level OL. Sherf has been a probowl guard since he was drafted. He's worth a first and change at a minimum. Trent is an elite LT. Worth a 1st and change. Never ever undersell on elite level OL.

You are probably right on scherff bc of his age.  He still has a lot of prime years ahead of him.  I know we discussed TW before and I disagree with you bc of his age.  The other factor is tackle is a more premium position than guard, but scherff is one of the best in the biz.  If the team doesn't feel like they can lock scherff up, and they can get a 1st for him, pull the trigger now.  And pray for case to make it through 2019 alive.

Just now, JSSkinz said:

If they sign him it will be a complete 180 on how they've done business since Bruce has been here, that's a fact.

It makes no sense to let a stud O lineman go into his contract year unsigned if you have plans to sign him.

Yea, but he's also done a decent job of getting new contracts that were reasonable to people I believe deserved them, like Reed and Kerrigan.  I get your concern, but I'm not going to worry about it yet.  They can franchise him and its not going to go down like it did with Cousins who got a fully guaranteed contract from someone else because he went to a team that desperatly needed a QB.  Scherff is great, but he doesn't have THAT kinda of leverage in these negotinations, different situation then Cousins entirely.