Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You guys are all so funny

jbooma

Last week all of you were loving the fact that Spurrier is coming back. Now after a terrible performance all want him out of town. Some of you even proclaim that we have talent on this team. Yet we have never seen it.

Look we got our a$$'s kick. But was it all the OBCs fault? We were running well, but then with the 4 picks, the stupid penalties that turned the 3rds into 3rd and long.

I love hearing people say we have talent :laugh:

We have a rookie, QB, actually two, Ramsey was technically a rookie too.

We have no legit RB, please don't say Betts or Candiate are, because they are not. Every big game we need them, guess what they don't suit up.

We have a rookie playing OG. We had a rookie playing LT, then he got hurt. We have no depth on this team and this all does to Snyder and his girl Vinny.

We have no DE, DL, or S, or even SS. We play backups that is what we have on this team, a bunch of overpaid backups.

Talent we have:

Lavar, Champ, Trotter, that about covers it, ok Samuels (not this year) and Jansen, Coles, Gardner, Thomas, Smoot, Armstead.

Please tell me how you can win with say 8 or 9 players that are good and then you have 13 guys who should be backups.

You can't win in the NFL without a dependable RB, OL, DL, and secondary, guess what we don't have that right now.

Originally posted by Om

You'd be funny too, bro, if you had watched the game yesterday.

OM I did watch the game yesterday. All I am saying is we are not good and haven't been. This isn't all the coaching fault, some is but also the players we have and don't.

You guys seem to jump to fast on emotion and don't think it through. Look this is what happens when you change personel and coaches every year.

Remember Patrick's first game last year as a starter, what did he have 4 picks and 4 fumbles against the Saints.

Well it just took Tim a little longer to show what he was about. That is whay we lost. When you give a team like Dallas the ball always near your red zone this will happen. Remember Dallas the #1 defense in every category, there is a reason for that.

This one was about more than playing a neophyte QB. The offense we put on the field yesterday was just flat out awful -- in everything from initial scheme, to execution, to in-game playcalling, to adjustments. You'll have to watch a lot of NFL football before you see an exhibition quite that flaccid. Which is why my confidence in SS turning this thing around with another season, absent a MAJOR overhaul in design and position coaching and appoach, is rather shaken this morning.

I think you know mine is usually the long view about things, win or lose. But not all losses are created equal. What we watched (yes, I know you saw it, I'm just being an arse this morning) yesterday was, from my fans-eye viewpoint, about as unprofessionally designed and implemented game plan -- on both sides of the ball -- as I can recall in a long, long time.

When you go to a fight armed with a butter knife, and the other guy has a .38, you'd better be the smarter guy.

We weren't.

Originally posted by Henry

jbooma, those are great excuses when you lose 27-24, or 27-21, or even 27-10. When you get blanked at home toa team that had given up over 70 points in their past two games, when you lose 27-0 to ANYONE, the talent excuse rings hollow.

Sorry Henry what do you expect when your QB has a 0 rating?????????

We can't win on the ground, and our offense kept giving the ball to Dallas near our end zone.

Sorry if the truth is too hard to swallow.

Originally posted by Om

This one was about more than playing a neophyte QB.

I disagree. In the second quarter we were down 7-0. We were driving the ball down to their 15. We would have gotten some points and be right back in the game. Instead he throws a pathetic pass and it is picked. Then Dallas goes and scores. The were up by 14 and then we put right were they wanted us. None our tackles could block and we decided to give them the ball over and over again.

You're talking about one play in the first half of a game we got utterly manhandled in on both sides of the ball, booma.

A game that ended 27-0.

Someone asked Sammy Baugh once if the 73-0 game against the Bears would have been different if his WR hadn't dropped that sure TD pass in the first quarter.

He responded, "yeah, it would have been 73-7."

Originally posted by Om

You're talking about one play in the first half of a game we got utterly manhandled in on both sides of the ball, booma.

A game that ended 27-0.

Someone asked Sammy Baugh once if the 73-0 game against the Bears would have been different if his WR hadn't dropped that sure TD pass in the first quarter.

He responded, "yeah, it would have been 73-7."

OM NFL is about momentum and teams that have it. We were down every time something positive happened it was taken away. Every time we drove the ball in their area we turned it over. What did you expect. After the score was 20-0 we were forced to throw. In the first half we run the ball 2 to 1 more then passing.

Remember the time we had a big play and then the TE fumbled, the two picks that led to Dallas TD's. We were in this game untill the 3rd and then it fell apart.

You don't look at the final numbers you look at certain points in the game where things bad or good happen. We just never got our good things yesterday :(

Then when we stopped them in the second quarter I believed good old Chad couldn't handle the punt and gave it right back. Another time when we just gave them the ball. Was this coaching?? No this was Chad not doing what he always does. I believe they got a TD from that as well :doh:

The fact of the matter is, this team gave up yesterday and put forward one of the worst performances in the NFL this year. When a coach has a long history like a Parcells or a Vermeil, they get a free pass when their team lays the occasional egg. But, when you do not yet have two NFL seasons under your belt and your record is 12-18 (2-9 division), a loss like this is pretty damning.

Things like attention to detail and discipline seem to be at a premium in the NFL. These things do not appear to be among coach Spurrier's strengths. For continuity's sake, I often said we should ride the Spurrier train for one more year. I have since changed my mind. I believe it would only be a step backwards.

The Spurrier-Pitino comparison was an easy one to make at first blush; however, it is one that continues to ring true as time passes. "System" coaches seem to struggle at the pro level. When you look at it, Spurrier had elite talent at Florida and he devised a system where he could send four top college WR's into a pattern on each play--How many college teams have 4 good DBs, even in the SEC? Very few. This is just an over-simplified look at one facet of the problem, but this is the conclusion I have come to.

I firmly believe Spurrier will eventually retunr to the college ranks where he will resume his career as a very successful coach.

Originally posted by jbooma

Jansen, Coles, Gardner, Thomas, Smoot, Armstead.

Please tell me how you can win with say 8 or 9 players that are good and then you have 13 guys who should be backups.

You can't win in the NFL without a dependable RB, OL, DL, and secondary, guess what we don't have that right now.

I absolutely agree. You can't win in the NFL if you don't have a good DL or OL. Case closed.

Originally posted by jbooma

I think we are the only team in the NFL that the fans expect the best out of our backups starting, :laugh:

Yesterday is a case of a rookie QB without a dependable RB goes through playing the #1 Defense hungry to get in the playoffs.

Under Gibbs (pre-salary cap) this is what happened.

Originally posted by Dexter's Better

Under Gibbs (pre-salary cap) this is what happened.

Because Gibbs and Beathard had an eye for talent and didn't need the superstars on this team to be succesful. Our FO has not clue if talent hit them right in their face.

I envy you your outlook on this one, booma, I really do. We both watched the same game, but apparently saw it through very different lenses.

I'm generally a guy who waits a day or two and digests a game, and tries to see in in a broader context, before trying to frame it. This one though ... this one looked over the moment Dallas scored their first TD -- on a 3rd and 9 screen play so obvious and predictable and we were laughably out of position -- that I kinda figured we were gonna get punked.

Every team lays an egg once in a while, no question. But when you do, you have to look at it in context of what has come before. This one was set up to be a telling barometer of where this team was in terms of focus and preparation and will and all that stuff ... and passed a damn ostrich egg from a hummingbird.

I have no idea what that mean, by the way ... only that it had to hurt.

Maybe in a couple of days this will look like the understandable and explainable anomaly you seem to think it is. I hope so. Otherwise I'm gonna be stuck shuddering every time I walk past the dairy section in the grocery store.

Archived