• Blog Entries

• By Destino in ES Coverage
      We’re still doing this?  Absolutely!  Despite all the compelling reasons to just let everyone go home and enjoy and extended offseason, this is not an option.  The games must be played, and therefore we the long-suffering fans will feel compelled to watch.  Even games no reasonable football fan would choose to watch like, for example, today’s Redskins Jets game.   

Today’s convergence of sadness features the 30th ranked scoring offense (Jets 14.4 ppg) versus the 32nd (Redskins 12.0 ppg).  The first team to 15 wins!  With no playoff aspirations the compelling story lines for this game are largely limited to watching young players (hopefully) develop.  Dwayne Haskins gets his first home start and Derrius Guice is back from injury.   

My, reasonable, goals for today’s game:  
      1- Score a touchdown 
      2- Score more than 17 points.   
      3- Haskins throws for 200 yards or more with no interceptions  
      4- Guice runs the ball at least 10 times and finishes at 3.5 yards per carry and healthy.  

Hoping for a win at this point feels like setting myself up for disappointment, so I’m happy to settle for an entertaining loss.  

Special thanks to @pez for some excellent Guinness beef stew.  If you absolutely have to stand in a frozen parking lot at 9am, the best place to do it is at the Extremeskins Tailgate with Pez and @Huly.  Great fans, great people. 

The Redskins have declared for the following players as inactive: 
      Paul Richardson  
      Colt McCoy 
      Deshazor Everett 
      Chris Thompson  
      Ross Pierschbacher 
      Vernon Davis  
      Tim Settle  

The Jets declared the following players as inactive  
      Nate Hairston  
      Darryl Roberts  
      Paul Worrilow 
      Matthias Farley  
      CJ Mosley  
      Jordan Willis  
      Leo Koloamatangi 

1st Quarter - Redskins 0 - 6 Jets
      If you wanted to sit in the cold and watch a football game with some Jets fans at FedEx, but were worried that there were not enough seats available, I have good news.  There’s plenty of space available, so come on down and prove you’re a real fan by sitting though this in person.

Jets dominated the 1st quarter even though they only scored 6 points.  The reason being that Washington managed only 13 yards of offense and a single first down.  

Question: Is it still a check down pass if the QB never looks at anyone else?

2nd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      The Jets have achieved an insurmountable 13 point lead early in the 2nd quarter.  All hope is lost.

Is there a more perfect example of the Redskins offense than their first scoring drive in the 2nd quarter?  Interception gives the Redskins the ball on the Jets 16 yard line.  They proceed to march 10 yards backwards before kicking a field goal from the Jets 26.  It's perfect.  Two or three more field goals we can call it a day. 

The Jets score again and if feels like they are are just piling on at this point.  Three touchdowns in the first half for them, just three points for the redskins.  Our streak of no touchdowns has now extended to 15 quarters. 

3rd Quarter - Redskins 3 - 20 Jets
      There is a spider slowly descending from the ceiling in the press box and it's the most interesting thing that's happened during the third quarter of this game. 

I have decided to allow the spider to live, provided it does not touch me.  I'm off to get some more caffeine. 

4th Quarter - Redskins 17 - 34 Jets
      The first wave of Redskins fans, the few that are here, started streaming towards the exits after that 4th Jets touchdown.  As if the Jets didn't have this game wrapped up in the 2nd quarter. 

Jet have now more than doubled their average points per game and have matched their season high of 34 points (and they missed two field goals in this game). 

TOUCHDOWN REDSKINS!  THE DROUGHT IT OVER!  Guice took a short pass from Haskins  all the way to the house.  2 point conversion is successful on a pass from Haskins to Quinn. 

The Redskins score another touchdown!  This feels like an embarrassment of riches, even if we are still certain to lose this game. 

End of Game.

Let's review those reasonable goals I mentioned earlier:

1- Success.
      2- Close enough, I'm counting it
      3- Haskins did throw for over 200, but unfortunately did have an interception. 
      4- Guice was not given the opportunity to run the ball ten times today.  He did however score on a 45 yard TD pass and finish the game healthy.  I'll take it.

Even though the Redskins lost, it was good to see the offense show some faint signs of life and end the streak of games without a TD.  The team looked competitive for much of the second half, and perhaps they could have made this a fun game if they carried that same energy throughout.  It was good to see Guice and Mclaurin show out today.  I think both of them have a future with this team that I look forward to seeing. 

No Excuses

The Impeachment Thread

Impeachment  

172 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Yea but that's not going to happen and you know it. The right has their own version of reality.

Sure as hell ain't happening in 1 year.

Because Dem leadership won’t do it. Elizabeth Warren had a huge spike in fundraising because she was the first politician to say we need to open impeachment investigations.  It’s not happening cuz Pelosi, Hoyer, Clyburn are terrified.

I didnt say interested in hearing, i said they don't care.

Then test it 

What crime are we talking about? Specifically. What is he being impeached for that we didnt know in 2016? He's a liar? He's a racist? He's a sexual harasser? Rapist? He tried to fire someone? He lied to an investigator?  

I see nothing we didnt already know in  2016. 

What Mueller found in his report. Have you been following this stuff?

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

She needs to either step down from her leadership position or be pulled down, I don't care which.

This and I'd add that any Dem not out beating the drum for impeachment AND the weak Dem leadership stepping down isn't worthy to lead.

Dems have two problems, they lack a spine and they lack a leader.

****, someone call Obama to come lead this ****.  

• Like 2

If Trump is impeached which in turn further exposes the Senate as being protectors of a criminal tyrant, could not that be spun into bigger turnout for the Dems framing it that even committing crimes will not get this guy out of office and it further re-iterates we need to show up in droves to vote the man out?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

What Mueller found in his report. Have you been following this stuff?

What did he find in his report? (Not a serious question) 

If the Dems were serious about impeachment then this would be a clear succinct message.

Trump did _______.

Just browse the thread, hell look at the poll question. There's little/no discussion about what Trump did and what he's being impeached for. We're discussing the Democratic party. (See how Trump is playing us?)

So I'll ask you, specifically what should Trump be impeached for? 

If obstruction is all you got then that's not enough. As I said, he obstructed the investigation for the last 2 years right in front of our face. 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mooka said:

What did he find in his report? (Not a serious question) 

If the Dems were serious about impeachment then this would be a clear succinct message.

Trump did _______.

Just browse the thread, hell look at the poll question. There's little/no discussion about what Trump did and what he's being impeached for. We're discussing the Democratic party. (See how Trump is playing us?)

So I'll ask you, specifically what should Trump be impeached for? 

If obstruction is all you got then that's not enough. As I said, he obstructed the investigation for the last 2 years right in front of our face. 

Fired Comey to obstruct an investigation.

Directed McGahan to fire Mueller to once again obstruct an investigation.

Those are just two of the possible 10 instances.

Obstruction is a crime.

Now we can get into the non-crime, but terrible and unethical actions that I guarantee the GOP would be impeaching a Democrat over, but I don't want to go on for the next 2 hours.

And let's re-iterate impeachment is not simply about crimes.  This whole "no collusion" narrative is the wrong way to look at things.  No one is claiming Trump and Putin sat down in a room together and planned/mapped out a way to steal an election. That isn't how it works, however if you look at how everything went down, it seems fairly obvious Trump's conduct was welcoming of the election interference at the least.  As an AMERICAN first, how do we not have a major problem with his encouraging, allowing, and welcoming of these types of things.  For eff's sake the man said on national TV he would be happy to use this kind of help again in 2020. He isn't hiding the fact that he doesn't care.  This is exactly what why we have impeachment, because there are things no elected official, nor any American should say is okay to do. 

Also, to finish up this post (I keep editing to add more)  The impeachment process is not simply everyone showing up to vote on whether to do it or not.  There would be impeachment hearings, people previously avoiding hearings would be hauled in front of the House and be questioned under oath.  You start those hearings and there will be a lot more information being disclosed. 

Edited by NoCalMike

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Directed McGahan to fire Mueller to once again obstruct an investigation.

Those are just two of the possible 10 instances.

Obstruction is a crime.

Now we can get into the non-crime, but terrible and unethical actions that I guarantee the GOP would be impeaching a Democrat over, but I don't want to go on for the next 2 hours.

Harassed and eventually fired Sessions because he wouldn't obstruct the investigation.

20 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

So why isn't Trump impeached right now then? This was 2 years ago. Trump said he fired Comey because of the investigation. (Sorta, said was to help the integrity of it or something) That was a big story for about 10 minutes. 

Again, we know he tried to fire Mueller or have him replaced a dozen times. 

We know he wanted Sessions to Barr down the investigation, he constantly complained Sessions recused himself.

Already knew all this. 

27 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

This is exactly what why we have impeachment, because there are things no elected official, nor any American should say is okay to do. 

Yes but the American people voted for him anyway. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mooka said:

So why isn't Trump impeached right now then? This was 2 years ago. Trump said he fired Comey because of the investigation. (Sorta, said was to help the integrity of it or something) That was a big story for about 10 minutes. 

Again, we know he tried to fire Mueller or have him replaced a dozen times. 

We know he wanted Sessions to Barr down the investigation, he constantly complained Sessions recused himself.

Already knew all this. 

So your position is “we already knew this, so he shouldn’t be impeached?”

48 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

If Trump is impeached which in turn further exposes the Senate as being protectors of a criminal tyrant, could not that be spun into bigger turnout for the Dems framing it that even committing crimes will not get this guy out of office and it further re-iterates we need to show up in droves to vote the man out?

Yes, absolutely. The outrage over trump skating thru due to the Senate could spark enough turnout to swing key senate seats and hammer the GOP in the election. Like **** it, it’s on us to save this country. That would be a galvanizing force for anyone on the left

This is is a political home run as well as the morally and constitutionally right thing to do which makes it all the more baffling that pelosi is slow walking this thing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mooka said:

This is a silly point. The voters didn’t know he obstructed an investigation that wasn’t even well known at the time they voted for him in 2016. This stuff has happened over the last two years. 

The biggest mistake you are making is assuming everybody follows politics to the degree that those of us on a football message board political thread do. And even tho a lot of people do know, a truck ton of people don’t follow this or get confused or just have short attention spans. That’s why the impeachment is important. It’s the way to frame the argument and discussion every single day and take that message and the evidence with it to the American people. If I know someone doesnt follow politics I’m not going to talk about what new NYT story just posted about manafort giving campaign polling to Russia. But when the POTUS is literally on trial and it’s the single story of the nation, then those on the sidelines have it brought into their lives by choice. 

Make the case to the people and you can actually sway public opinion even further against Trump 

59 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Trump did _______.

1)  Fired the head of the FBI because he failed to promise that he would keep the President's staff out of an ongoing national security investigation.  

How's that for the lead?  

16 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

So your position is “we already knew this, so he shouldn’t be impeached?”

Yes.

Its like calling him out for being racist. He ran a racist platform and won. 

13 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

This is a silly point. The voters didn’t know he obstructed an investigation that wasn’t even well known at the time they voted for him in 2016. This stuff has happened over the last two years. 

The biggest mistake you are making is assuming everybody follows politics to the degree that those of us on a football message board political thread do. And even tho a lot of people do know, a truck ton of people don’t follow this or get confused or just have short attention spans. That’s why the impeachment is important. It’s the way to frame the argument and discussion every single day and take that message and the evidence with it to the American people. If I know someone doesnt follow politics I’m not going to talk about what new NYT story just posted about manafort giving campaign polling to Russia. But when the POTUS is literally on trial and it’s the single story of the nation, then those on the sidelines have it brought into their lives by choice. 

Make the case to the people and you can actually sway public opinion even further against Trump 

I didn't mean they were physic, I'm just saying nothing here would've changed anything in 2016. They would've still voted for Trump, just like they'll still vote for him in 2020 even if he's impeached. Impeached Trump is still running in 2020. 

You're missing my point though; they didn't make the case then and now its too late because Trump and the right have been making their case the whole time. 

No way I'm buying that the Democratic Party is going to sway public opinion, or make cases to the people. Impeachment would go the same as everything else as far as how information gets to the people. 

e.g.

Manafort giving the polling data is old news. That came out in January. Could've been hammering Trump for 6 straight months on it. Could've been reminding people his campaign manager is a criminal in jail. Yet, even you, an informed person discussing politcs thought that was new. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Mooka said:

I didn't mean they were physic, I'm just saying nothing here would've changed anything in 2016. They would've still voted for Trump, just like they'll still vote for him in 2020 even if he's impeached. Impeached Trump is still running in 2020.

i disagree. It was what, 10 days before the election when Comey said they were investigating Hilary again which was a devastating blow to her. Had we known then that Trump was under FBI  investigation, I think it would have mattered to people. 

In fact it mattered so much to people that Dems won in 2018 in record setting margins. We can to do the same again. And yeah an impeached trump is still running in 2020 but he’s weakened and he would be going against an insanely fired up Dem base 

14 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Manafort giving the polling data is old news. That came out in January. Could've been hammering Trump for 6 straight months on it. Could've been reminding people his campaign manager is a criminal in jail. Yet, even you, an informed person discussing politcs thought that was new. 

I did not think this was new, I’ve been aware of it since it was revealed. My point is that people not involved or following politics aren’t aware of these things. A presidential impeachment makes people on the periphery aware in ways that a normal news cycle just doesn’t. Dems have the chance to make that case to a wider audience and one that isn’t as bought in to party lines while, in addition to that, satisfying their base and boosting morale by holding Trump accountable which is what we elected them to do 

lots of people tune out politics. You can’t tune out an impeachment as easily. It’s water cooler talk in a way that the latest Maddow show or Washington Post story isn’t. It’s a seminal moment that gets people on the sideline involved. 

I’ll use myself as an example, while, yes I’m aware, I could be an outlier. I was born in 86 and didn’t start following or even thinking about politics until 00 when Bush /Gore /Florida happened when I was in 7th grade. Never spent two seconds even thinking about politics prior to that but damn if I didn’t know a who Monica Lewinski was, why Clinton was impeached, what watergate was and what happened to Nixon and all that was stuff picked up peripherally in some cases decades after it had happened. Impeachment is a big deal and is an incredible opportunity for Dems. Not to mention it’s the right thing to do. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Its like calling him out for being racist. He ran a racist platform and won.

Hey bruh, no disrespect but I think you should read the constitution articles of impeachment to learn more about that.

you are basically saying we shouldn’t go after Jeffrey Epstein because we know he is a child sex trafficker and rapist.

• Like 2

Hey maybe even the stress of impeachment kills him. It’s a shot in the dark and it’s millions of leagues better than what he actually deserves but I’d take it lol. Just add it to the “pros” side of impeachment

Pence would be a lame duck and doesnt inspire the fervent mouth breathing loyalty that trump does. 

• Like 2

I am aware that even if Trump was impeached, there is almost no chance he would be removed from office (unless something dramatic happens).  But I was wondering about the legal/constitutional rules if he was removed from office.

Is it possible for him to be removed from office, then retake the office if he won the 2020 election?  Would he be legally eligible to run still? 

Just now, Nerm said:

I am aware that even if Trump was impeached, there is almost no chance he would be removed from office (unless something dramatic happens).  But I was wondering about the legal/constitutional rules if he was removed from office.

Is it possible for him to be removed from office, then retake the office if he won the 2020 election?  Would he be legally eligible to run still? 

Yes, but if one is removed that is highly unlikely.

Don’t put it past republicans. They would still nominate and vote for him. I mean they just elected an actual dead pimp in Nevada in 2018, don’t act like an impeached and removed president would stop them 

Just now, twa said:

Yes, but if one is removed that is highly unlikely.

Yeah, that would be the most epic troll job ever by red states if it happened.

Would remind me a bit of the Scott Walker recall election.  All that effort to get him out, only to have the voters confirm that they still wanted him.

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Don’t put it past republicans. They would still nominate and vote for him. I mean they just elected an actual dead pimp in Nevada in 2018, don’t act like an impeached and removed president would stop them 

if impeached and removed does that count on term limit?

maybe he could serve the rest of his life if impeached enough :evil: