Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

Guys, I've been trying to find the GOP's "endgame" here and I really think this is it: acquit Trump. McConnell is heading this thing and he doesn't care about temporary losses in the House and Senate. He will gladly acquit Trump, march his GOP Senate troops out to the front line and watch them get mowed down this coming November. How long will the GOP have to suffer? Maybe, at least two years? That doesn't matter to Mitch, he will make sure Trump walks. Mitch cares about his legacy (haha! I know, I know...), that legacy lies with giving lifetime appointments to GOP friendly judges on the FC and SC. Once he gets over this impeachment hump...I don't he cares about any other scandals.

8 hours ago, Llevron said:

Republicans and their voters deserve this. I wish they would fee the pain if their ignorance more, honestly. But I’ll take continuous embarrassment for the ones smart enough to feel it. Anyone left after this can be safely generalized into one of two categories. 

you underestimate the powers of cognitive dissonance.

55 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

and jury tampering

and the chief justice is just gonna sit there in silence? protocol needs to be damned in times like these

Protocol needs to be specified ahead of time the next time.  Founders screwed up by allowing the Senate to chose to hear evidence or witnesses in a trial, this is arguably their biggest hole to date.  Immune system was holding up until this point for the most part.

If the goal was to prevent authoritarianism, that was trusting future generation too much instead of making sure.  Like Lincoln said, the only thing that can destroy us is ourselves.

3 hours ago, Simmsy said:

. How long will the GOP have to suffer? Maybe, at least two years? That doesn't matter to Mitch, he will make sure Trump walks.

2020 is a really touchy election with long-term implications. If Republican behavior motivates democratic voters to vote, the impact will be felt significantly down-ballot in state races. That means democrats will then have way more power in congressional redistricting for the next ten years.  By the time republicans have another shot to control the process, it’ll be 2030 and the us will be demographically very different.

outside that, there’s the senate. Republicans have to defend ~20 seats in each of the next two senate elections. They have small opportunities (AL), but their next shot to really take significant seats is 2024. Otherwise they’re stuck trying to defend seats in NM, CO, AZ, NC, ME that are turning blue. 2024 is again a presidential election, So turnout will be high, which tends to increase turnout and favor democrats.

Republicans are well aware of this and that’s why they’re being so brazen about locking in power where they can. Democrats know this too, and that’s why they’re angling to demoralize republicans where they can through the impeachment process even though they know there’s no way republicans will convict. 

if the republicans hold onto the senate and the presidency in 2020, I fully expect them, over the next four years, to change out all 5 of their Supreme Court Justices the way a hockey team changes lines.

7 minutes ago, wrilbo67 said:

outside that, there’s the senate. Republicans have to defend ~20 seats in each of the next two senate elections. They have small opportunities (AL), but their next shot to really take significant seats is 2024. Otherwise they’re stuck trying to defend seats in NM, CO, AZ, NC, ME that are turning blue. 2024 is again a presidential election, So turnout will be high, which tends to increase turnout and favor democrats.

Just pointing out that our entire delegation in New Mexico is blue.

Archived