No Excuses

The Impeachment Thread

Impeachment  

190 members have voted

  1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?



Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Destino said:

“Favor or demand?” “Coup.” All said repeatedly is really testing just how many time I can roll my eyes in a day before they just fall right out of my face.

 

I'm surprised I haven't seen Impeachment Hearing Bingo cards.

 

"Thank you for your service, BUT"

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not sure which news feed i had on during the hearings today but the post-show analysis featured someone who made a pretty good point that this is real life not some spy movie.  As big an idiot Trump is, even he isn't going to just say verbatim "Hi Ukraine, I am going to extort you, you need to investigate my political rival's son because I need the help politically"  For the GOP to act like that unless someone testifies he said those exact words, then everything is ok is about the most dishonest thing they can do.   In the real world where people know they are bending, twisting, & breaking rules they are going to try to be vague and use "suggestive" language to get the ball rolling on these things.


As Lindsay Graham said back during the Clinton impeachment hearings before he was drafted into the cult of Trump, "this is not about the use of some magic words & phrases, it is about the conduct."

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

 

I'm surprised I haven't seen Impeachment Hearing Bingo cards.

 

"Thank you for your service, BUT"

 

 

74617655_480473672817034_710928914692492

  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I am not sure which news feed i had on during the hearings today but the post-show analysis featured someone who made a pretty good point that this is real life not some spy movie.  As big an idiot Trump is, even he isn't going to just say verbatim "Hi Ukraine, I am going to extort you, you need to investigate my political rival's son because I need the help politically"  For the GOP to act like that unless someone testifies he said those exact words, then everything is ok is about the most dishonest thing they can do.   In the real world where people know they are bending, twisting, & breaking rules they are going to try to be vague and use "suggestive" language to get the ball rolling on these things.


As Lindsay Graham said back during the Clinton impeachment hearings before he was drafted into the cult of Trump, "this is not about the use of some magic words & phrases, it is about the conduct."

 

In the proposal world, we call it weasel wording to get around outright stating something like a requirement that we don't really meet.

 

It's also the way people state things when they are knowingly breaking the law and want to have some sort of plausible deniability. Like saying, "Gee, I didn't know that asking that was breaking the law when I asked X to to take care of Y."

Edited by LadySkinsFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I've learned during all this... the city is pronounced "KEEV."  I always thought it was pronounced "KEY-EHV."  Like Chicken Kiev.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dan T. said:

One thing I've learned during all this... the city is pronounced "KEEV."  I always thought it was pronounced "KEY-EHV."  Like Chicken Kiev.

 

It turns out that the Russians pronounce it Key-ehv, and the Ukrainians pronounce it like Steve.  

 

It apparently took George Kent (the bow-tied guy who was a day 1 witness) a ton of painstaking work to get the pronunciation change normalized into the US foreign service.  A ton of small, off-the-record, unglamorous effort to affirm our relationship with Ukraine.  A real professional of the foreign service.  All efforts completely screwed up by the clownshow of the current administration.   

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nunes can barely read.  

 

He had a joke in there about the committee ironically being called the "intelligence" committee, but it ironically fell apart because he's functionally illiterate. :ols:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, bcl05 said:

 

It turns out that the Russians pronounce it Key-ehv, and the Ukrainians pronounce it like Steve.  

 

It apparently took George Kent (the bow-tied guy who was a day 1 witness) a ton of painstaking work to get the pronunciation change normalized into the US foreign service.  A ton of small, off-the-record, unglamorous effort to affirm our relationship with Ukraine.  A real professional of the foreign service.  All efforts completely screwed up by the clownshow of the current administration.   

 

Good and interesting info.  Thanks for posting this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

Nunes can barely read.  

 

He had a joke in there about the committee ironically being called the "intelligence" committee, but it ironically fell apart because he's functionally illiterate. :ols:

 

I couldn’t tell if it was a bad joke or if Nunes is just miserable and unfocused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volker testifying right now, basically comes off like he got played by Trump's back channel.  Sounds like he is trying his hardest to come off looking clean of the entire situation while at the same time saying "well if I had actually known about this other stuff going on at the time, I definitely would have raised alarms"

Edited by NoCalMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, visionary said:

 

 

"I have learned many things that I did not know at the time of the events in question............for example that I can go to prison for up to five years for lying to you all."

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are beginning to see what happens when even the supposed GOP allies refuse to lie for Trump.  Hopefully it continues tomorrow with Soland. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, visionary said:

:rofl89:
 

 

 

There is no limit to their gaslighting and lying. I know they think their base is stupidly gullible but come on ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can tell the difference with Volker and Morrison and the previous witnesses, they are doing everything short of lying in their attempt to cover for Trump, but ultimately they aren't going to straight up lie in fear of repercussions, however they are trying their hardest to parse their words to make this seem kosher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha. Nunes back to the "Nobody specifically said the word 'bribe' or 'extort' so that makes everything moot" talking point apparently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time Nunes says "the American people aren't buying it" I wonder if he is referring to the 30% (and falling) that think the President didn't act inappropriately. 

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Haha. Nunes back to the "Nobody specifically said the word 'bribe' or 'extort' so that makes everything moot" talking point apparently. 

 

Nunes, "So, Dr Evil never produced sharks with frickin' laser beams? Well case closed!"

 

GOP Counsel, "Come on, Trump is a good guy, right? This whole breaking the law stuff pales in comparison to all his awesome qualities, wouldn't ya say?"

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.