Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Impeachment Thread

No Excuses

Impeachment  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should Donald Trump be impeached for obstruction of justice?

40 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I think there are a lot of people that don't follow politics, that don't watch any news and simply voted Trump because he was the new guy or they had heard a bunch of crap about Hillary in passing etc. 

So an impeachment becomes almost unavoidable to them and really puts these issues front and center. 

Seems to me that the only way somebody doesn't already know about Trump is if he's made a conscious decision to avoid any political information at all.  

What are the odds that that person watches this "trial"?  

And my impression is that there's a lot of people who will wait till it's over, look at the inevitable party line vote, and conclude that they were perfectly justified to ignore the whole thing, because it's obviously all just politics anyway.  

36 minutes ago, Larry said:

Seems to me that the only way somebody doesn't already know about Trump is if he's made a conscious decision to avoid any political information at all.  

What are the odds that that person watches this "trial"?  

And my impression is that there's a lot of people who will wait till it's over, look at the inevitable party line vote, and conclude that they were perfectly justified to ignore the whole thing, because it's obviously all just politics anyway.  

I actually think it’s quite easy to avoid politics. However, impeachment is different. impeachment is everywhere. It’s water cooler, it has an aura of history and of the moment. It’s unavoidable to a large degree compared to regular politics that can be tuned out quite easily 

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I just have trouble believing that.  Anybody who still doesn’t know what has been going on isn’t one who is going to bother voting or they already believe the narrative their chosen news source is putting out and will vote based on that.  You think there is anyone who is fence-sitting and doesn’t already know enough about what is going on but is all of the sudden going to pay attention to Schiff speaking for hours on the Senate floor?

I said a while ago and still believe it, all of this will not change a single vote.

You might be right at the POTUS level, but this could impact Senate races. Martha McSally, for instance, looks terrible the last couple weeks. There is vote spliting in AZ. Could impact a place like NC too. 

But I also think some of us live in a political bubble and a lot of people haven't been paying any attention at all. 

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

A subpoena for Bolton who flat out said he would show up if subpoena'd? Doesn't sound like much of a fight.  Now if his testimony leads to Mulvaney and/or McGahn being subpoena'd we will see.

Maybe they figure that, if they try to call any witness, Trump will try to block it.  

At which time, not only are they now going to court, (on a case which they'd much rather quash entirely and get it out of the news), but it makes it that much tougher to pull their "What Obstruction of Justice?" talking point.  

7 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

A subpoena for Bolton who flat out said he would show up if subpoena'd? Doesn't sound like much of a fight.  Now if his testimony leads to Mulvaney and/or McGahn being subpoena'd we will see.

Showing up doesn't help much if privilege is asserted.

8 minutes ago, Larry said:

Maybe they figure that, if they try to call any witness, Trump will try to block it.  

At which time, not only are they now going to court, (on a case which they'd much rather quash entirely and get it out of the news), but it makes it that much tougher to pull their "What Obstruction of Justice?" talking point.  

Didn't Trump tell Soland not to show up to the House inquiry, and he told Trump to kick rocks and went anyway?

Even if Bolton showed up and could not give a play by play of the call, he could most definitely say that in his professional opinion it was a quid pro quo, illegal, etc etc....then if they try to question him further, executive privilege can be asserted.  If I was Bolton, I would just give my opinion and if the the GOP try to say "well without details how can we....." then I turn around and say, if you want details, go tell Trump to say it is okay, he is the one stopping it.

1 minute ago, twa said:

Who cares about Joe or Hunter?  Hunter being the most corrupt person to walk the earth is actually irrelevant to Trump's actions.  I know that you know this.  

5 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Who cares about Joe or Hunter?  Hunter being the most corrupt person to walk the earth is actually irrelevant to Trump's actions.  I know that you know this.  

Obviously a House manager ...duh.

I can't even remember who it was on Fox, maybe Elise "Please call me conservative squad member, please.....can I be famous too?" Stefanik said something along the lines of Schiff bringing up the 2020 election not being undermined is proof that this impeachment and trial is not about Trump's actions.  I don't know how dense some of these people are, or if they are just saying words to say them, but excuse me this entire trial is about Trump...........attempting to undermine the 2020 election. 

Archived