Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins.com:Tyer: Ring of Fame Honor 'Tremendous'

TK

Bottom Line: Do you think Spurrier should stay or go?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Bottom Line: Do you think Spurrier should stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12398

Tyer: Ring of Fame Honor 'Tremendous'

12/14/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

For Bubba Tyer, being inducted into the Redskins' Ring of Fame was an honor he'll relive every time he goes to FedExField and sees his name among the elite Redskin players of the past.

bubba1.jpg

The long-time Redskins head athletic trainer was added to the Ring of Fame during Sunday's pre-game festivities. Former Redskins kicker Mark Moseley presented him with a plaque prior to the unveiling of his name on Ring of Fame.

"This is a tremendous honor," Tyer said. "I have so many people to thank, from George Allen to Joe Gibbs and all the wonderful people I've worked with over the years. I have so many memories."

The always upbeat Tyer said he was especially proud of mentoring four current NFL athletic trainers: Ryan Vermillion (Carolina), Kevin Bastin (Houston), Al Bellamy (Detroit) and Keoki Kamau (San Diego).

"Those guys carry on the job I did here with the Redskins," he said.

Tyer joins 40 players, coaches and officials honored at the stadium for their contributions to the team. Prior to Tyer, the Redskins most recently inducted Darrell Green, who joined the Ring of Fame last season against Dallas during halftime of his final game.

bubba2.jpg

One of the most popular figures in Redskin history, Tyer spent 32 seasons with the Redskins, 25 as head athletic trainer. One of the most respected members of his profession, Tyer was recognized as the NFL's top trainer in 2000. He was named Emageon Super Athletic Trainer of the Year in that same season.

In his 32 seasons with the Redskins, Tyer was part of three Super Bowl championship teams and five Super Bowl appearances. He worked with the team for 14 playoff seasons and seven division titles. The team went 303-215-2 during his tenure.

Tyer oversaw the care of seven Hall of Famers, including Redskins Ken Houston, Charley Taylor, John Riggins and Sonny Jurgensen.

Archived