Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bottom Line: Do you think Spurrier should stay or go?

Sonny Joe Hog

Have we ever been shut out by the Cowboys? Much less at home?

As I said earlier, no Redskins coach should live to tell about that kind of performance. That is the unforgiveable sin.

What makes it worse is that my initial reaction was:

"Aw, shucks. They just flat out beat us. We'll get 'em next time."

What has this man done to me???

Blade you had to go there. I grew up in St. Louis but was always a cubs fan, (grew up watching wgn in the hot summer with Harry Cary and Steve Stone). Been a SKINS fan since I can remember! I really never thought it would get this low in D.C.

Then again my beloved Cubbies appear to be building something finally. I still have faith for our SKINS!!! Although right now we just plain SUCK!!!

HTTR!!!

Originally posted by Art

Larry,

The difference with Marty is simple. He lost the majority of that team. Without question he could have been successful here. But to do so he'd have had to have gutted much of the team and been UNSUCCESSFUL for a couple of years and the problem people had with Marty is since he was doing equally dumb things as a coach AND not keeping the team disciplined as promised, it wasn't worth the wait.

I'm at the point where I don't think Spurrier can win in this league. He seems too overmatched against just about every coach who won't run vanilla schemes against him. I'm STILL of the mind that another year is necessary. This team NEEDS to get to a point where even the players believe that struggling won't bring about massive change.

IF you fire Spurrier, which may actually NOT be a bad idea, you almost have to concede you want Samuels, Arrington, Bailey and a handful of others gone too while you SERIOUSLY rebuild. And, when you're a team that does have young talent you'd hate to have to rebuild when the fix seems so clear, if so far away for Spurrier.

Getting ride of some of those players may not be a bad idea. Look at all those picks we could get. But they are our stars? What have ours stars gotten us?

I don't think you necessarily have to have a total rebuild if you can get the right coach.

Originally posted by a_good_brotha

I don't think it's time to get rid of Spurrier yet. I mainly say this because I do not want to see another coaching change anytime soon. I would like to see what happens if the Redskins have some kind of continuity. Let's put an end to this high turnover of coaching and players.

Continuity will get you more the same.

I've already said I've want spurrier gone. Look at my signature, LOL. :laugh:

Another year of Spurrier delays the inventible coaching change. The right coach may get us winning, see Cincy or Dallas. Or we could go for a total rebuild and get rid of our primma donnas; who have done nothing for us.

Originally posted by [PAPER] sashae [bAG]

50 years since our last home shutout by Dallas.

50 YEARS

...and our head coach is a purported 'offensive genius.'

Perhaps his success as a QB in the NFL better reflects on his ability to succeed here than his success in college.

-s

Dallas was formed in 1960, that's only 43 years. :rotflmao: :laugh: ;)

I want continuity as much as anyone, but Spurrier has to go. As has been pointed out ad nauseum he is overmatched and outclassed at this level.

Sure it would mean starting over again with the umpteenth headcoach but is this team really close to turning the corner anyway? If anything it seems to be going backwards.

Nope, the thought of a coach like Crenell or a personnel man like Pioli (yeah real longshot I know) going to success at other places next year is much more depressing than throwing in the towel on the fun n' gun experiment.

Gotta give him one more year.

The big part is fixing what ails this team and that is:

Poor Defensive Coordinator

No running back

No D-Line

No safeties

No punter

I would go for a better D- COordinator before I fired the ball coach.

I just don't get some fans. The ONLY pass rush we got this year was from Bruce and we rag on him for being selfish? Come on. Like Regan Upshaw is any good. If we had ANY push up the middle, Bruce doesn't look like he's running around the QB, because the QB would be right in his path! We, the fans, turned what should have been a celebration into "scapegoat Bruce Smith Day." I think people are just holding it against Snyder that Bruce was highly paid.

Bottom line: Keep Spurrier.

Need to find an impact pass rusher and a good all-around back. Those two players would make a world of difference. You can have a load of all-stars, but the weak links on a team are eventually found.

Spurrier needs one more year. My logic is that he's not an idiot. He knows that he must make some major changes next year if he wants to be successful. He should be able to see it. If he can't we're in for a long 2004.

What can we cling to?

An easier schedule.

A few close games going our way.

A healthy and more experienced Ramsey.

A pass rush.

A feature back.

Better coordinators/position coaches.

A punter.

All of these things are things that realistically could/should happen next year.

I can't image Spurrier's ego will continue to let him get immasculated by his poor results. He should know next year will be his last shot at redemption and hopefully spend the offseason doing whatever he needs to for a succesful campaign. There is no one I'd be excited about coming here anyway.

Originally posted by speedwagon20

I can't answer this question because, what do I know? However, for the first time since he's been here, I really don't see the Redskins winning consistently under Spurrier.

I think you and I tried to stay positive in the last couple weeks and made statements to the effect of "The Redskins must be competitive in division games." We didn't say they had to win, but they had to be competitive.

I later said, well, as emotionally charged as the Dallas game is, I think the Philly game is the one where we'll get a real test. I admit, we looked terrible this week and things don't look good now. I think we may have to put up with Spurrier another year. I also think that when teams lose for years with the same personnel, it doesn't have to generate a "loser" mentality; instead, it may generate hungry players who want to win. I think it depends on factors like who the new coach would be and things like that.

I'm trying to see an upside to another year of Spurrier, even if we lose next year.

Do I think we will definitely lose next year? No. Certainly, nothing is definite, and even if we looked terrible on Sunday, it was with a very green QB who Spurrier wasn't overly impressed with, and who he basically said was a good backup. Good backups don't get you a lot of wins, they just come in for a few games and do a decent job. And hopefully, Tim is still learning. And... hopefully... Spurrier himself is still learning. Maybe he's learning a couple of things about his staff that he didn't know. Maybe he's learning about other things. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

We won't think we know until the offseason. And then we still won't know until next season begins, because - we should know by now - you don't really KNOW anything until the games are played. Spurrier or not, I'll watch the games and root for the Skins. And the year after that, if Spurrier didn't make good on his promise for improvement and success in the third year, I'll expect him to step down and not hurt the team any longer. He asked for three years, and next year makes three. I wish we had a player who would use this embarassing game as motivation for next year's games against the Cowboys, but I don't quite feel we do, and that's one of the saddest things about this team- I just don't think they really care sometimes. Maybe it's like Spurrier said, that some of them seem to try hard, and others really don't. Whatever the case, it's depressing, and all I can do is hope that it gets better next year, and comfort myself with the thought that if it doesn't Spurrier will be gone and maybe we'll get lucky.

I have just spent the last twenty minutes reading over everyones posts. The overall theme that I took away from them is that the Redskins are a dis-enchanted franchise with an abundance of problems.

To fix the team you need to start at the top. Dan Snyder must find an equal balance between being an owner and being too meddlesome. He needs to let the coach do the coaching, the GM do the hireing and he needs to butt out. He cannot undermine his coaches and he cannot leak information and spread rumors. It cannot happen. IF he continues to do this no respected coach will ever want to work here.

The next thing that is necessary in making the skins' a winning franchise is hiring a real GM. Vinny Ceratto is Snyder's lackey and is one of the worst money managers I have ever seen. We need someone like Ron Wolf who can scout and spend reasonably (I wish we never lost Charlie Casserly).

Regarding Spurrier, I was an advocate of him from the start and have given him the benefit of the doubt. But we need to cut our loses and fire him at seasons end (which I do not think will happen). Their needs to be an entire overhaul of players and coaches and we should get started right away.

There is enough young talent on this team to build around. With good coaching and more effort these young players could be All-Pro. Build the team around players like (C.Bailey, L.Arrington, F.Smoot, L.Coles, P.Ramsey, C.Samuels). Those are high-caliber players. We have the talent to be an effective team. But keeping these players happy and well coached is essential.

There are glaring needs at the defensive line and running back positions. I would like to look to the draft and free agency for help. I do not believe the Bengals will keep both Rudi Johnson and Corey Dillon during the off-season so we could look to sign or trade for one of them. Also, the Bills must make a descion about Travis Henry and Willis MacGahee. One of them could be available as well.

The sad truth is that the Redskins will probably not be a winning team for another three years. It looks pretty grim right now and I am tired of rooting for a losing team. But in order for us to get back to the level of respectability things need to change.

Originally posted by Richard Nixon

i thought last year after the eagles spanked you twice that you had a dud in spurrier and my opinion sure hasnt changed this year, the guy has no clue how to call an nfl game on both sides of the ball or motivate or gameplan in any way, normally i would just smile at the thought of another year of fun n gun in washington but i was hoping the skins would beat the cowdumps yesterday, that was pitifull, every game ive seen you guys play has been a joke

I hate to agree with you but it true. He's got to go! We need a communicator. Billick maybe an a$$hole but he's a damn good communicator. He adjust to games and he realizes that passing 75% of the time wont win you anything. SOS just dont get it.:shot:

Archived