Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: 20th anniversary of Snyder

hail2skins

After Gibbs' 2nd go-around with the Redskins, I was kinda hoping that he would have somehow talked Snyder into selling him the team.

I have no doubt that had Gibbs managed to get the team back then, there would have been at least a couple more SB trophies in the showcase, but at minimum, the team would be respected across the league.

With Snyder? I just believe this team is jinxed. 

His heart is in it,  but his brain isn't.   BUT; I do have to give Snyder props on one thing;  he stood defiant when the Redskins name was being attacked as hateful and racist.  He told America that the Redskins name is NOT going anywhere.  Honestly, I am not confident that Gibbs could have weathered that storm.

Damn I am old. 20 years.

Gloom, despair and agony on me,  oh oh OH OH!

deep dark depression, excessive misery,  OHHHHH

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all,  oh oh

gloom despair and agony on me...

I'm gonna go cry in my Cheerios now...

14 hours ago, Unbias said:

I fully believe the NFL let Snyder be an owner so he can assist them with copyright issues they had. They wanted someone 'in-house' to help them milk the merch money, so they brought in Snyder, who just came off creating this beautiful culture: 

All Six Flags rides, shows and attractions are protected by copyright. Guests must have written permission to use photographs and/or videotape of Six Flags images for commercial broadcasting, advertising, marketing or publishing in any medium. Safety is our number-one priority.

Not a big deal but Snyder had no involvement with Six Flags when he bought the Skins.  

19 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

By any measure that you would care to use, his ownership of The Washington Redskins has been an unmitigated failure. 

Except for the most important metric: money. Snyder made a $800 million investment and now it's worth $3.1 billion (according to this Forbes). That's 5th in the NFL and tied for 10th in the world. They're tied, mind you, with the Golden State Warriors, who are currently in the most dominant run for any NBA team since the Auerbach/Russel Celtics. This mediocre, infamous franchise run by perhaps the most despised man in the D.C. Area (which, again, is one hell of a feat) and they're still making money hand over fist. If that isn't a hustle of epic proportions, I don't know what is. 

Dan Snyder could shoot nuns on the 50-yard-line for halftime entertainment and this fellow owners still wouldn't vote to unseat him. You can write all the op-eds about him and that franchise but as long as he keeps making the franchise and, by extension, the National Football League money, you might as well bash your head against a wall.

19 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

20 More Years !

Of Paloffs !

..of winning OFF the field......winning in the off season....winning with the biggest season ticket wait list (oh wait, NEVER MIND that last one).

Duh-Winning-55132393261.png

1 hour ago, thebluefood said:

Dan Snyder could shoot nuns on the 50-yard-line for halftime entertainment and this fellow owners still wouldn't vote to unseat him. You can write all the op-eds about him and that franchise but as long as he keeps making the franchise and, by extension, the National Football League money, you might as well bash your head against a wall.

Agree.  I don't think they'd interfere.   Only thing different though now is that the brand might finally be in danger.  That's not been true until recently.  Declining stadium attendance and TV ratings might take its toll if it continues.   And it's a recent variable so its not one that's been tested for years where we can say for sure that Dan escapes it.   The team could lose and things can go awry in the past but people kept showing up to games and watched them on TV so from a bottom line stand point all was good.  That wasn't the case last year.  Maybe last season will end up an anomaly but will see. 

For the NFL, I gather they wouldn't care about the stadium attendance but the TV ratings thing might bother them at one point.  Their marquee ratings show is Sunday Night Football and they haven't given the Redskins a game two years in a row on that front.  Heck they couldn't even get a 4 pm game for next season.  So the NFL certainly sees the Redskins now as a ratings loser relatively speaking and by extension a money loser on TV relatively speaking.  And no that's not how it's typically been under Dan's reign.   In spite of the losing, we'd get our prime time showdowns.  Heck as I pointed out in other threads the Redskins are even a punchline on a national TV show as an example of a ratings loser if they talk about them because they aren't an interesting team that a national audience wants to hear about.  

I think for all of Dan's issues at building a winner -- he could still make the team relevant as to national conversation and keep the team in conversation as a national flagship franchise.  That i believe was a center piece for him making money.  Because what's the difference if they go 6-10 if they have enough people fill the seats, watch on TV and buy jerseys?  That now has started to crumble on all fronts.   The question is will it continue to crumble or do they bounce back.  If they don't bounce back would the NFL care?  I am guessing not.  Though I recall reading one article on the subject where there was an anonymous quote from an executive who said that the NFL was concerned about what's going on with the fan outcry in part because it's a key franchise politically for the NFL considering its location. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/for-redskins-and-their-shrinking-fan-base-its-been-a-long-fall-under-daniel-snyder/2018/12/30/48a988fe-0c71-11e9-831f-3aa2c2be4cbd_story.html?utm_term=.ee4c0bc2116e

The Redskins’ attendance has fallen from an NFL-best 89,625 in 2005 to 75,175 last season to 60,719 this year — a drop in just one year of 24 percent to 29th among 32 teams. This latest plummet, it should be noted, has happened when the team was still in contention for a playoff spot until just a week ago. But more than on-field performance is driving this exodus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/a-once-proud-franchise-the-redskins-are-showing-signs-of-foundational-cracks/2018/12/29/c5194e90-0b8d-11e9-85b6-41c0fe0c5b8f_story.html?utm_term=.e597ea7011bd

Daniel Snyder was regarded as a business savant when he bought the Washington Redskins in 1999 at age 34. A self-made millionaire, he promised to restore the storied National Football League franchise to greatness, driven by his childhood passion for the team and fueled by free-spending zeal in pursuit of a Super Bowl championship,

Yet in two decades as an NFL owner, Snyder has achieved something more difficult — driving away one of the more loyal fan bases in professional sports.

The moment time expires on Sunday’s season finale against the Philadelphia Eagles at FedEx Field, where the Redskins can finish with no more than eight wins for a 15th time in his 20 seasons, Snyder faces a rebuilding challenge that transcends the customary offseason to-do lists of struggling NFL teams.

The decisions Snyder makes in three key areas will determine the future stability and relevance of the Redskins — a $3.1 billion business that is showing troubling foundational cracks. In the past year alone, regular season attendance is down nearly 24 percent at FedEx Field and game-day revenue, by conservative calculations, has plunged $18 million.

...Two: Can Snyder reverse a plunge in game-day attendance and declining local TV ratings in a market that for decades revolved around Redskins Sundays?

Three: Can Snyder find a home, and a funding plan, for the 60,000-seat, roughly $1 billion new stadium he hopes to open in 2027? He is off to a poor start, having waited in vain for a bidding war to erupt among officials in Maryland, Virginia and the District while underestimating the political challenges of acquiring development rights to the former RFK Stadium site, his top choice.

Some close to Snyder say privately that he doesn’t fully grasp the extent of fans’ enmity.

“If The Washington Post were for sale, I’d buy it right now,” he said at the time. “I don’t buy companies at their peak. I sell them at their peak.

>> Hey Dan, I think you missed the peak for the Redskins.  

Then again, when was the last time a NFL franchise lost value?  

32 minutes ago, MarkB452 said:

“If The Washington Post were for sale, I’d buy it right now,” he said at the time. “I don’t buy companies at their peak. I sell them at their peak.

Agree.  The sharing of national revenue I think makes it almost impossible to lose money.  But I wonder about if declining stadium attendance, TV ratings will take its toll if it continues.  I don't know where they rank in merchandise sales but I notice they really got no one who makes a dent as to jersey sales (maybe Haskins changes that though).  The NFC East last year had multiple players who were top 10 in jersey sales but that was the other 3 teams in the NFC East -- not the Redskins.  If I recall the Redskins didn't have a single player sniffing top 60 in jersey sales let alone top 10.     All of that is part of the shared pool of money for the NFL. 

My point is the Redskins being losers at sales I think is a new thing which hasn't been tested for long.   We can't even get a 4 pm game next season.   Maybe that recent trend breaks this year.  But if not I wonder if the Redskins don't continue to slide down the rankings as NFL money makers.  I recall when i started paying attention to it early in Dan's tenure they were #1 until Jerry built Jerry World but then they slipped past Dallas and now NE and the NY Giants and the Rams.  With 5 teams just right behind them.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Eagles surpass us soon -- they aren't that far behind.   Dallas is now ahead by a mile.

Does this make Dan sell the team?  Probably not.  But I think he's entering a new world of a fan base who won't just buy in no matter what.  In the past, fans may have complained about things but they kept coming and watching.   My point is i don't know if we can judge what's going to happen by just looking back at the last 20 years.  Because i would argue that Dan could sell buzz and excitement in the off season and keep interest in the team -- and I do think that was a cornerstone of the team's financial success coupled with a loyal fan base.  I am not so sure if that's going to be the case moving forward. 

I think the key is the stadium.  They are off to a rocky start in that quest.  If they pull it off I think it will fix a lot of this.  But if Liz Clark is correct and Dan ultimately fails in the stadium quest and is forced to stay at Fedex.  Wow, that would be an interesting fork in the road.  Dan has bought himself many second chances with fans.  And fans have stood by and watched this team regardless.  But that foundation is now cracking some.  So it should be interesting.   I hope it works out for all of our sakes as fans.  

I don't have a problem with the article, I have a problem with the Washington Post though. They're constantly writing hit pieces on the Redskins. They only do that because they know we don't really mess with Snyder like that, we just like the team.

They never attack any of the other teams like they do the Redskins and I'm kind of ticked off about it because it just feels so familiar.

2 hours ago, MarkB452 said:

Well, technically the Skins would be at their peak when they win a championship, so, let's just settle in and get used to the view...

TV ratings are down for the NFL nationally, and the league hasn't yet figured out what to do about cord-cutting and streaming. So, that big shared pot of gold that Snyder counts on may not be so reliable in the future.

It's the off-the-field stuff that makes Snyder go from bad owner to evil clown. The on-field product is just depressing, but not actually any worse than several other NFL franchises.

An apathetic owner would just sit back, stay quiet, and count the TV cash. Snyder's arguably worse than that...he's actively trying to win but is simply far too incompetent to do so. He's tried every different strategy over the last two decades but has no eye for managerial talent (not to mention his apparent delusion in making any football-related decisions himself).

We're in it for the long haul, gentlemen.  As many have pointed out, he's been here for 20 years and it can easily be 20 more. 

I'm trying to be positive.  Trying to keep an eye on the long game.  

I've seen Snyder do good things.  I've seen Snyder give away a bunch of football equipment to youth leagues in Richmond during training camp a couple years ago.  I've seen him sign autographs before games, pose for pictures with fans.  And not while the camera is watching, not in an effort to gain publicity or for show.  I'm not saying this absolves him of all the bad stuff, I'm just letting you guys know it's not ALL bad.  

Let's also keep in mind, Mrs. Snyder is the salt of the earth.  I don't think someone like that marries someone (and stays married) to someone who is as bad as we like to make Dan Snyder out to be sometimes.   

As I said, I'm trying to be positive.  And I'm not trying to make excuses for 100% of the stuff he's done.  I just think he doesn't get it, to put it mildly....sure, he can make money, he's proven that.  He's good at that (but let's face it, I don't think it's hard to make money as the owner of an NFL franchise).   But that doesn't make you a successful PR guy and that doesn't make you a good personnel guy.  And being a good PR guy and being a good personnel guy is a giant part of being an owner.  He doesn't have that down, obviously.

I'm just saying it's not all bad all the time and I hope it can get better. 

"Those that know how to succeed know how to NOT make the same mistake over and over again, Dan Snyder said. That's how you succeed, and that's something I've done all my life." Feb. 25, 2001

Boy wonder uttered these words in a Washington Post article during 2001.  At the time he thought he was a genius when it came to running anything including a football team.

He is eating humble pie right now.   Skins fans have been too patient and keep spending money on tickets and on his web site.  He will not sell the team

because it remains a cash cow.  He has gained a lot of nice toys too-- super yacht, airplane, etc.  

Just have to accept the situation as it is. But, I've not been this optimistic about the team in a long, long time - not even Gibbs return level. I love our roster and think we have a nice window to win if Dwayne Haskins is the QB we all hope he is, which right now I absolutely do. I was watching a YouTube video the other day on the team and one of the analysts said she was told by another high-level team executive that he felt the Redskins have the best front seven in football. I think we're poised for good things. Focus on that and not Snyder.

139-180-1: The Redskins’ record since Snyder took over the team in 1999. Washington never had more than 10 regular-season wins during that span.

2: The number of playoff wins the Redskins have had over the past 20 years. Washington’s last postseason victory was a 17-10 win over the Buccaneers on Jan. 7, 2006.

3: The number of Super Bowls won by other NFC East teams since 1999. The Giants have two (2007, 2011) and the Eagles have one (2018). Like Washington, the Cowboys also have zero, so at least there’s that for Redskins fans.

3: The number of NFC East titles for the Redskins since 1999. Over the past 20 years, the Eagles have eight division championships, while the Cowboys have five and the Giants have four.

12-28: The Redskins’ record against the Cowboys since 1999. In Snyder’s first six years, Washington was 1-11 against its biggest rival.

19: The number of Redskins starting QBs since 1999: Brad Johnson; Jeff George; Tony Banks; Shane Matthews; Patrick Ramsey; Danny Wuerffel; Tim Hasselbeck; Mark Brunell; Jason Campbell; Todd Collins; Donovan McNabb; Rex Grossman; John Beck; Robert Griffin III; Kirk Cousins; Colt McCoy; Alex Smith; Josh Johnson; and Mark Sanchez.

8: The number of head coaches, including interims, the Redskins have had under Snyder: Norv Turner (1999-2000); Terry Robiskie (2000); Marty Schottenheimer (2001); Steve Spurrier (2002-03); Joe Gibbs (2004-07); Jim Zorn (2008-09); Mike Shanahan (2010-13); Jay Gruden (2014-present). Only Gruden has lasted longer than four seasons.

19: The number of years over the past two decades that the Redskins have had either Vinny Cerrato or Bruce Allen in the front office. Cerrato was fired in 2001 by Marty Schottenheimer only to be rehired by Snyder the following year. While Snyder has been quick to fire coaches, he’s been oddly loyal to his top executives.

3: The number of seasons since 1999 that the Redskins have had a top-10 scoring offense — 1999 (2nd); 2012 (4th) and 2015 (10th). Over that span, they ranked 20th or worse 13 times. From 1983 to 1991, Washington had a top-10 scoring offense in eight of the nine seasons.

4: The number of seasons since 1999 that the Redskins have had a top-10 scoring defense — 2000 (7th); 2004 (5th); 2005 (9th) and 2008 (6th). Over that span, they ranked 20th or worse nine times. When they won the Super Bowl in 1982, the Redskins had the top scoring defense in the league.

5: The number of wide receivers the Redskins drafted in the first two rounds since 1999: Rod Gardner (No. 15, 2001); Taylor Jacobs (No. 44, 2003); Devin Thomas (No. 34, 2008); Malcolm Kelly (No. 51, 2008); and Josh Doctson (No. 22, 2016). Those five receivers had a combined 406 receptions in 15 seasons with the Redskins (an average of just 27 per year).

....https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/2019/05/23/numbers-that-explain-dan-snyders-years-with-redskins/?utm_term=.30d73ef09622

Archived