Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoCalMike

Is it a possibility that Spurrier will win in the NFL.......just not here?

I know some broadcasters said this upon his hiring. I think it is a safe bet to say that being hired as a head coach with NO NFL COACHING experience certainly handicaps your ability to coach for at least a few years.......In today's NFL, it is not realistic for Snyder to give Spurrier more then 3 years to "turn it around" but maybe, just maybe it does take a guy like Spurrier 5 or more years to get the NFL down pat. I mean 99% of the coaches were not handpicked from college to be a HC, most start with lesser jobs and worked their way up, learning the NFL game as they go and given more responsibility as they earn it. The problem with the way Spurrier has been hired is that he has been given all the power with a limited knowledge of the NFL game. I mean if you watch his reactions during games, he seriously seems clueless as to why some of his "GENIUS" plays are not working flawlessly.

I think it is fair to say that the Redskins may just be his first taste of the NFL, and once he leaves here he could be hired by another team for a lesser role and work his way back up and then have success.

Spurrier has a big ego, he has been a head coach his entire career. I don't see him moving to another team as a OC like Norv did after leaving Washington.

the reason that comment was made was everyone thought Snyder would interfere so that Spurrier would not get a fair chance to succeed.

Spurrier has had TWO chances to make over this offense in TWO years!

First he went with ex-Gators and then we had to rebuild the mousetrap in 2003 with a new group of younger players.

How many clubs bring in a new coach, hire a mess of his former players, and then jettison all of them and start over again in just a year? :laugh:

Spurrier has had his chances and blown them.

Explain to me how a team can lose a home game 27-0 like the Skins did today and I will tell you if Spurrier is salvageable.

I have been disappointed in Spurrier because he played qb in the NFL for 10 seasons and yet has seemingly come back with his memories completed erased............

Surely there has been a difference in the level of play in college vs. the pros for several decades.

This should not have been a revelation to Spurrier as it appeared to be last season.

He watched coaches prepare their teams for years in San Francisco and yet again seemingly brought none of that knowledge with him to Washington.

How to treat veterans vs. rookies, veterans vs. veterans, etc...

If Spurrier had been a more humble guy he would have come in and evaluated the available talent the way that Parcells is doing and THEN make judgments after seeing them play.

He didn't do that and it cost the team a lot of needless transitions and re-starts.

Parcells didn't expect to be 9-5 with this team. However, he will take it :)

My point in writing what I did is that as Bill said himself this week, it took him some time to come to definitive judgments about the players on his team and some of his early impressions were not borne out once the grind of the season told the tale.

Now after SEEING what he has to work with, he can make intelligent decisions about whom to keep and whom to get rid of for Year 2.

Spurrier didn't give himself that kind of chance to come in and get a feel for the NFL and work to build some momentum in steps.

He was convinced that only certain players could be of use to him and thereby limited his field of vision as to what it would take to be successful in the NFL.

The NFL is not like the SEC and Spurrier knows that now. But that knowledge came at the cost of not only a year of our time but also a mess of player personnel moves that then had to be undone during or after the 2002 season.

Do you really think that NFL GM's were worried about the Redskins in 2002 when Spurrier was telling the media after trading for Wuerffel that he had the 'guy he needed', etc..? :)

Come on, this has been a cluster f**k from the start.

This guy gets a $5 million contract per season, the same salary as Parcells and Vermeil?

After doing what, earning a split vote national championship at Florida? :laugh:

As an NFL watcher, that doesn't mean jack to me :)

I don't care how many games he won in the amateur leagues.

This is real life up in the bigs.

hmmmmm.....

reads post......

looks for answer......

the cowboys have been bageled more times than we have, yet they appear to have a salvageable season. Spurrier gets one and you think that means the ship is unsalvageable. Methinks a double standard lurks about.

Look, this ship may be dead in the water, we're all going to be here to watch it when it goes down, but good teams lose like we did today. That doesn't mean I think we're a good team, just that if you want to judge the team, you need to realize that good teams lose these games too.

-DB

Teams with ANY redeeming qualities don't cough up a hairball like we did today -- AT HOME, AGAINST A DIVISION RIVAL.

Being shut out is one thing.

Being shut out by #@!%@!#^% Dallas AT HOME is another.

Humiliating.

-s

Spurrier is not an NFL coach, when I watch the games I think his game plan is the same week in and week out regardless of the opponent and that is not how a team wins in this league.

Originally posted by hail2skins

We should have known we were in trouble when Spurrier publicly mocked Jim Haslett's work ethic. Welcome to the NFL, Steve.

Hey Coach this is not a 9 to 5 job you phucking loser

Spurrier could win in the NFL. But, I think it would take another 6-10 years before he figures out what it takes to win at this level. It takes more detail, more planning, more coaching, and assistants who know what they're doing on an NFL level. It also takes someone to actively take a leadership position and kick a little tail when necessary. College players respect the coach because he has "Coach" on his office door. NFL players arent' like that. You have to babysit them.

Spurrier probably could be an outstanding NFL coach, but it will never happen because nobody will give him the time it takes to learn.

This is why I don't ever want to see us go after a college coach again.

DB, you are overlooking the most important factors in the equation: overall team record and the track record of the man running the team.

Dallas may have been shut out by Tampa and New England but is 9-5 overall and in position to perhaps improve by 6 games over last season's mark :)

Second, Parcells is proven. Even if the Cowboys were merely 7-7 or 6-8 at this point there is a confidence factor involved because the man has done it repeatedly over the years at this level.

You can bury your head in the sand if you wish, however, I go to the games and even long time fans that are usually 100% positive regardless of the circumstances are rolling their eyes at this continued disorganization and mediocrity.

Again, the Redskins haven't suffered a home shutout like this since Harry Truman was in office.

Spurrier needs to go back to college, where he can recruit better players than everyone else and play Vanderbilt. Then his offense might work.

I mean if you watch his reactions during games, he seriously seems clueless as to why some of his "GENIUS" plays are not working flawlessly.

Is this an example of the genius playcalling?

Ball at the 2 yard line

1st down ...run...stuffed

2nd down ..run...stuffed

3rd down...roll out...sacked

Is this a "Football genius" at work???

Originally posted by ljer

Is this an example of the genius playcalling?

Ball at the 2 yard line

1st down ...run...stuffed

2nd down ..run...stuffed

3rd down...roll out...sacked

Is this a "Football genius" at work???

Of course those aren't genius plays, but that is my whole point. It seriously looks like Spurrier doesn't understand why passing 3 times in a row after getting a 1st down by running the ball, is not a recipe for success. He doesn't seem to understand that what he wants to keep doing DOESN'T WORK.

Originally posted by Chief skin

Spurrier is not an NFL coach, when I watch the games I think his game plan is the same week in and week out regardless of the opponent and that is not how a team wins in this league.

The entire first half we ran the ball almsot exclusively on first down...a departure from the rest of the season. Those third downs need to be converted, and Tim didn't make any throws at all...all day long. Dallas just hung 8 in teh box, and challeneged Timmy to throw teh rock, and he didn't do it.

The play-calling and OBC's gameplan was different than usual, and if Tim had any success throwing the ball, I think that we would have stuck with the run...

You gotta give him one more year...he's learning on the job. He takes more ridicule than any coach in NFL history, and I think he knows he is under so much pressure that if he makes a big play, everything will solve itself...it doesn't work that way.

Aside from the embarrasment of yesterday, the 'Skins have played in so many close games, that another year of experience may turn into 3 or 4 more wins. If we jump ship now and turn things around again (new coaching staff, personnel, etc.), it's gonna be the same **** next year with another coach.