• Blog Entries

• By TK in ES Coverage
      The Bill Callahan era began here at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami. For the first quarter it was really,really bad football being played by both teams. 
      The Redskins were determined to establish the Run game. The First Quarter all they established was that they still couldn’t run. Or pass. Or do much of anything. 

It wasn’t until the 2nd Quarter that Peterson was able to start ripping the worst Run D in the League for chunks of 18 & 24 yards. The Skins managed to score a TD with a 25 yard pass to Scary Terry McLaurin. 

The Dolphins would open the Second Half only managing five plays before the Redskins would get the ball punted back to them. They would run a balanced run/pass attack of six plays for 70 yards in 1:25 ending in McLaurin’s second touchdown of the day. The Defense would then get a turnover allowing the Offense to get to Field Goal range and add another 3 points to make the score 17-3. 

To open the Fourth Quarter, Hopkins would miss a 55 yard Field Goal, leaving the score at 17-3.  After being sacked five times, the Dolphins would pull their own switcharoo at QB and go to Ryan “Neckbeard” Fitzpatrick which resulted in a touchdown drive for them, making it 17-10. They went for & recovered the Onside Kick. They also managed to not score any points after that. The Dolphins would find theirselves with ball at the 2:00 Warning. Fitzpatrick would take them on a 9 play 75 yard touchdown drive with six seconds remaining on the clock. Miami went for the win with the 2 Point Conversion and failed. The Redskins would recover the onside kick by Miami and Keenum took a knee to get the Redskins their first win of the season. 
purbeast

Reuben Foster carted off on 2nd snap of OTA's

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

Uh, and?  He's missed a huge percentage of his games in the pros prior to signing with us.

Thompson, like Love, was taken with the understanding that he was injury prone.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I do agree that Thompson is Christ-like when he plays. :)

Here is where I’m going with it. Some guys are just made superiorly from an integumentary standpoint. London Fletcher was never hurt. Bob Sanders was always hurt. 

I agree about Chris Thompson. When healthy, he’s our best offensive player by a mile. He’s just proven over and entire collegiate and pro career that he isn’t going to get and stay healthy. That’s not how he is put together.

The optics certainly don’t look good for Foster from an injury standpoint, but they would look a lot worse if he was also frequently injured in HS and college. Maybe bad enough to just cut bait, or at least not to make any roster decisions as if Foster is on the roster. But, it is conceivable for a player as violent as Foster to have a couple of nagging injuries as a pro, tear an ACL, and return to a pattern of mostly good health, if he has a previous history of being healthy in college and HS. 

Edit: The only thing I’m grateful for after the Foster injury is that it wasn’t Allen or Sweat. 

Edited by Anselmheifer

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Edit: The only thing I’m grateful for after the Foster injury is that it wasn’t Allen or Sweat. 

I'm not superstitious or anything, but my wifes husband is. Would you mind not jinxing him and modify it to say that you're glad it wasn't John Mara??

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

Why????

I mean it's not like the Skins get more than one injury a year. 🙄

I am sad for his health but let’s be honest, this is losing “potential”, nothing more. We think he was going to be good but he hasn’t really shown it consistently since coming into the league. For all we know, he could just be one of those uber athletic guys who never put it together even when healthy. Devastating is losing a guy like JJ Watt, a known commodity. Losing a player like Foster sucks but he won’t make or break the season.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dyst said:

I am sad for his health but let’s be honest, this is losing “potential”, nothing more. We think he was going to be good but he hasn’t really shown it consistently since coming into the league. For all we know, he could just be one of those uber athletic guys who never put it together even when healthy. Devastating is losing a guy like JJ Watt, a known commodity. Losing a player like Foster sucks but he won’t make or break the season.

And he's never played a down for us in the past, so in a technical way, we didn't really "lose" anything.

Can't lose something you never had or used.

On 5/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, KillBill26 said:

This team is cursed.  A string of bad luck is one thing, but it occurs over and over and over.

Or is it that the brain trust has neglected improving the practice field conditions?  Then it's not so much of a curse, just sheer stupidity.

It is cursed. Been saying it for over 15 years now. As long as Dan Snyder owns this franchise, nothing good will ever come from it.

Posted (edited)

Any nerve damage might make a comeback difficult.   I would never think I'd be rooting for "just' an ACL.   Hopefully they find no nerve damage when they do the surgery.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

12 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Here is where I’m going with it. Some guys are just made superiorly from an integumentary standpoint. London Fletcher was never hurt. Bob Sanders was always hurt. 

I agree about Chris Thompson. When healthy, he’s our best offensive player by a mile. He’s just proven over and entire collegiate and pro career that he isn’t going to get and stay healthy. That’s not how he is put together.

The optics certainly don’t look good for Foster from an injury standpoint, but they would look a lot worse if he was also frequently injured in HS and college. Maybe bad enough to just cut bait, or at least not to make any roster decisions as if Foster is on the roster. But, it is conceivable for a player as violent as Foster to have a couple of nagging injuries as a pro, tear an ACL, and return to a pattern of mostly good health, if he has a previous history of being healthy in college and HS. 

Ooooh, okay, well I feel like an ass because I totally agree with you and you put that very well.  I thought you were saying that because he didn't get hurt in college or high school that this somehow isn't indicative of a potential pattern.  I apologize.  :cheers:

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Any nerve damage might make a comeback difficult.   I would never think I'd be rooting for "just' an ACL.   Hopefully they find no nerve damage when they do the surgery.

Alex Smith:  Well at least it's impossible for anyone to have a worse injury and recovery than I had

Reuben Foster:  Hold my beer.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

When Bridgewater had his injury they talked about it like the leg had to be removed. Things like gruesome and career ending were written. Meanwhile, even he made a comeback. Not that Foster is similar but wait and see I guess.

Edited by dyst
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Surely it’s no worse than the injury that Jaylon Smth came back from...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2016/04/22/jaylon-smith-knee-nerve-injury-draft/83416394/

The concern with Jaylon Smith was his nerves not regenerating and he'd be left with drop foot. I think there was an old Eagles safety that's career sort of ended because of that. He could still play, but needed to wear a brace. Ultimately the nerves didn't regenerate in time and he was never the same player.

I bring this up only because it can go both ways. I'd add that nerve regeneration isn't something modern medical science can fix. 

3 hours ago, dyst said:

When Bridgewater had his injury they talked about it like the leg had to be removed. Things like gruesome and career ending were written. Meanwhile, even he made a comeback. Not that Foster is similar but wait and see I guess.

Yep. His injury was a bad one. I think his teammates were crying when it happened. 

Regarding Bridgewater he went from being the Vikings future franchise guy to starting one game in the past 3 seasons. Currently he's regarded as a career backup with starting potential. With him essentially not playing for 3 seasons and playing a position that's a bit less physically demanding I wonder if he wasn't a QB would he even have an NFL job? 

I mean, the Vikings were so concerned with his knee they panic traded for Sam Bradford then in the following offseason decided to run with Case Keenum over resigning him. 

ILB like Rueben rely on explosive burst from the legs to thrive. QBs, especially pocket ones like Bridgewater just need to be able to trust that they're legs wont collapse underneath them.

From what I've gathered, Bostic is an excellent tackler, good at stopping the run -- but not as good at pass rushing or pass coverage. I assume that even with those limitations he's still good enough to start, but he doesn't sound like an upgrade over Zach Brown.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bobisimo said:

From what I've gathered, Bostic is an excellent tackler, good at stopping the run -- but not as good at pass rushing or pass coverage. I assume that even with those limitations he's still good enough to start, but he doesn't sound like an upgrade over Zach Brown.

Yea, I thinking a similar thing.

Basically has the same liability and strength as Brown did, as far as run vs. pass.

I'm sure there's more to the story than just those aspects, but I still can't help wonder why we gave up on Brown.

Was he making too much money to downgrade to a part-time player ?

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Was he making too much money to downgrade to a part-time player ?

That's exactly it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think they should add a couple events to the NFL combine to gauge this integumentary thing...for example, have them walk down a hallway of banana peels...or something like that.

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, xxprodigyxx said:

I think they should add a couple events to the NFL combine to gauge this integumentary thing...for example, have them walk down a hallway of banana peels...or something like that.

Or step on someone's shoe.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Bostic is a homeless man's version of Zach Brown. 

That's right. A step lower than being a 'poor man's' version.

1 hour ago, xxprodigyxx said:

for example, have them walk down a hallway of banana peels...or something like that.

Bruce Allen approves of any idea that would likely allow him more opportunity to sign injured players.

• Like 2