Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I put Hurts above both... not necessarily because I think he's a better prospect (Tua has ridiculous flashes that cannot be ignored... but injuries...) but because I think he fits what the Skins do better and can be had later in the first round, or maybe even second, which allows us to use our hopefully top 3 pick on Chase Young or a trade down if Young isn't there. If the Skins decide they need a QB, snagging Hurts makes sense.

Prospect wise, not accounting for injuries, it's Tua in a landslide and then everyone else. 

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you're right about Burrow. I mean, good prospect. But a healthy Tua is a much better prospect. The only way any QB leapfrogs him is if the injury concerns are blatant and obvious to team doctors and front offices. 

Chase Young will likely go 1 or 2. I think 3 is a minute possibility depending on how the Bengals and Dolphins operate their draft.

Yeah I just wonder if the injury concern could be something Tua wants to dispel if it becomes something that lingers; It seems the one plausible variable that could shake this class up. Take Tua out & Chase goes #1 to Miami. 

It’s interesting that their game tonight impacts two of their #1s in the upcoming draft. 🤨

15 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I don’t think Bama gets in if they lose to LSU, but the point I aimed to make is I don’t think it’s out of the question that Tua returns. 

I think Bama has a shot if they lose assuming its close and they later romp Auburn.  Florida has to play Georgia still.   both Florida and Georgia have one loss. 

Agree Tua could return.  But am betting he'd like living in South Florida and the Dolphins have plenty of picks to give him a reunion with multiple teammates.  

I guess no way to know.  Will see. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Bama has a shot if they lose assuming its close and they later romp Auburn.  Florida has to play Georgia still.   both Florida and Georgia have one loss. 

Agree Tua could return.  But am betting he'd like living in South Florida and the Dolphins have plenty of picks to give him a reunion with multiple teammates.  

I guess no way to know.  Will see. 

Definitely more likely that he declares, but injury concerns caused a fall for DeShaun & he may feel he’s got something to prove on the field as well as physically. Just something running through my mind as I project what could happen. 

Chase Young might be the highest-graded defender to come out in a few years — higher for some than Myles Garrett even — and the clear best prospect available in the 2020 NFL draft class. Then Young went out and dropped four sacks, two forced fumbles and another tackle for loss against a good Badgers team that is stout up front.

Shut it down, kids. Barring some wild, unforeseen event, Mr. Young is your best player in this coming class. He probably should be the Heisman Trophy favorite, but we know how that goes with non-offensive players.

And as a personnel man mentioned to us, the way San Francisco 49ers rookie pass rusher (and former OSU teammate) Nick Bosa is playing, being mentioned not only as a Defensive Rookie of the Year favorite but as a Defensive Player of the Year candidate, it can only help Young’s cause.

There are some people in scouting who believe Young actually could have a higher ceiling as a prospect than either Nick or Joey Bosa. That’s a pretty strong statement.

The Dolphins will have the ammo to land both Young and a quarterback if they want to do it that way. They currently own three picks in Round 1 and a stunning six of the first 66 picks the way the draft order stands now.

Based on records and opponents’ strength of schedule, the Dolphins would be picking second overall (their own first-rounder); 10th (from the Pittsburgh Steelers for Minkah Fitzpatrick); 22nd (from the Houston Texans for Laremy Tunsil); 33rd (their own second-rounder); 62nd (the New Orleans Saints’ second-rounder); and 66th (their own third-rounder). They also have extra picks in Round 6 (at least two and possibly three picks in that round) and Round 7 this year. They don’t have a fourth-rounder but are projected to receive a Day 3 compensatory pick for losing Ja’Wuan James.

Oh, and the Dolphins also own the Texans’ first- and second-round selections in 2021. That’s ample ammo to move up into the range to select a QB — that is, if the Dolphins want one high in the draft this year.

Of course, that means potentially passing on Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, or perhaps LSU’s Joe Burrow. Would the Dolphins be satisfied with taking Young and, say, Oregon’s Justin Herbert? What about Washington’s Jacob Eason? The Dolphins also could take the riskier route, punting on a QB in 2020 and hoping for Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence or Ohio State’s Justin Fields in 2021.

That’s likely what we are talking about here unless the Dolphins opted to move up into the top three picks. If they could find a team such as the Washington Redskins, New York Jets or New York Giants — assuming those clubs are picking high enough — to trade with, Miami might be able to get both Young and either Tagovailoa or Burrow.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-winners-and-losers-2020-draft-will-be-the-year-of-the-wide-receiver-175000723.html

3 hours ago, volsmet said:

Deal Trent, move back, & we can get our tackle, WR & CB obviously. Sounds like a plan to me.

Getting a top 10(ish) pick from Cleveland would be great.  Could even stay put with our original first and trade back from the other.  

As I’ve said repeatedly, I want another back we can throw the ball too. Jones with GB displayed again last night that it’s impossible to account fir these guys I;the passing game. Chris Thompson should be a WR more often than he’s lined up at rb, I hope Love & Guice get to 100% by the summer, but as Steve noted, we may be looking at another RB at some point, and McFarland is the perfect back to split out. You can’t cover these guys one on one, they’re too good in space, their balance is too good, they break tackles too easily, they put guys off balance too easily. Speed, 3rd down backs, and TEs. The TEs are hard to come by, but the backs & speed are there to be had... as KC illustrates.

That’s a good call.  Right now I have our priorities something like:

1) tackle

2) corner

3) TE - either an all around guy or a dynamic catcher (preferably the former)

4) tackle

5) receiver

6) guard (depends on Scherff/Flowers though - I’d probably move this up to 3 if they both leave, and further down if they both re-sign)

7) ILB

8. FS

9) corner

10) OLB

Not sure where exactly I’d slot a hands back...  but I’m with you in adding that special sort of dynamism any way we can.  

I don’t think Bama gets in if they lose to LSU, but the point I aimed to make is I don’t think it’s out of the question that Tua returns. 

Seems like a decent idea to me

40 minutes ago, Rypienskinz said:

Tua scares me. Sarkisian has been known to do wonders for the college QB. Case examples:

Mark Sanchez top 5 pick

Jake Locker top 10 pick

Matt Leinart top 10 pick

Is he a product of a system?

Locksley has been known to do the opposite.

@skinny21 I’d probably have 2 backs on the field 80% of the game. People keep trying to hit on WRs with far less talent when you can create more matchup problems with RBs. RBs in space cause more problems than most WRs, James White is a nightmare because NE knows RBs are impossible to cover... Ekler is becoming the same. 

Eh, too much to ramble about. Gym time & trade rumors on the ES is a glorious way to spend a Monday evening. 

3BADC7BF-EC89-48E6-98DA-6D81DCDFB8BE.gif

Ohio State junior EDGE Chase Young has earned Pro Football Focus' three best single-game pass-rush grades.

Young's performances in Week 5, 9, and 4 (in order by grade) rank as PFF's three best single-game grades of the entire season among FBS pass-rushers. The Week 9 performance was last week's game against Wisconsin, in Young (6'5/265) earned four sacks. Two of Young's other performances (Weeks 2 and 6) also landed in the top-ten.

Oct 28, 2019, 6:05 PM ET
  •  

15 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Ohio State junior EDGE Chase Young has earned Pro Football Focus' three best single-game pass-rush grades.

Young's performances in Week 5, 9, and 4 (in order by grade) rank as PFF's three best single-game grades of the entire season among FBS pass-rushers. The Week 9 performance was last week's game against Wisconsin, in Young (6'5/265) earned four sacks. Two of Young's other performances (Weeks 2 and 6) also landed in the top-ten.

Oct 28, 2019, 6:05 PM ET
  •  

giphy.gif

Sweat and Ferrell were the two raw talents among the first round edge rushers.  It's going to be a few seasons of development before they might hit their potential.  But the Vikings success with Everson Griffen and Danielle Hunter demonstrated guys like them are worth the wait.  Those are their natural comps.

Unpopular opinion:  If Haskins is bad, dont draft a QB this year and instead draft the top OLinemen.  Because the team wont be good next year, and you need to shore up the team around your new QB before hes going to have any success.  If you start Haskins all 16 games, he either turns out to be better than expected and means you dont need to draft a QB in 2020, or if hes as bad as some posters on here make him out to be, the team will be terrible again and will be in position for a top QB in the 2021 draft, but now with more talent around him.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Chase Young might be the highest-graded defender to come out in a few years — higher for some than Myles Garrett even — and the clear best prospect available in the 2020 NFL draft class. Then Young went out and dropped four sacks, two forced fumbles and another tackle for loss against a good Badgers team that is stout up front.

Shut it down, kids. Barring some wild, unforeseen event, Mr. Young is your best player in this coming class. He probably should be the Heisman Trophy favorite, but we know how that goes with non-offensive players.

This writer needs to settle down.  He's gotten carried away by hype.  That was a fun performance to watch, but racking up a bunch of sacks against hapless tight ends and right tackles who can barely move on that field--who are playing for a playcaller who is too stupid to slide a protection Chase's way of throw him a double or chip--doesn't mean he should win the Heisman.  Nor does it mean he's the best player in the country and the draft class.

He is a special edge prospect, but you don't take these guys over special QBs when you need a QB.  Tua is a true playmaker at the position.  Denver didn't win anything with Von Miller until they got Peyton Manning and now they're not winning anything without him.  Houston didn't win anything with JJ Watt and are only now winning because they have DeShaun Watson.  Nobody would trade Watson or Mahomes for any defensive player in the league now that teams have been hammered over the heads by a clear picture of their value.  The value of a great qb dwarfs the value of any edge rusher.  The positions aren't in the same ballpark in terms of difficulty to play, impact, and scarcity.  The great QBs like Tua are always the best football players at their level of the sport.

But the NFL is still surprisingly stupid about QBs, especially the bad organizations that draft high.  I can already see the same bad groupthink forming around Tua that happened with DeShaun Watson and Haskins.  He's going to get nitpicked really foolishly and intensively and it wouldn't shock me if he fell out of the top ten.

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He is a special edge prospect, but you don't take these guys over special QBs when you need a QB.  Tua is a true playmaker at the position.  Denver didn't win anything with Von Miller until they got Peyton Manning and now they're not winning anything without him.  Houston didn't win anything with JJ Watt and are only now winning because they have DeShaun Watson.  

To be fair, the Broncos qb situation has probably been worse since peyton left. And von miller is that defense...well atleasr currently and it's that defense that won them the superbowl in spite of peyton. Dont Diminish the overall impact of what a chase young could do to our defense and we could win games in spite of our qb. We have the paper talent (adding young and foster and addition by subtracting norman/kerrigan while supplanting them (norman moreso will get replaced by a fa) ) to be a superbowl defense. We got the d line. We will have the front 7..and we got a solid cb in dunbar and safety in collins. 

I think he's wrong on all accounts.

We don't know what any of the teams will do.

I don't see Cincy or Miami passing on Tua. Nor do I think they should. But Young is intriguing... and if they see another QB as being comparable that they can get later it may not be a bad decision to pull the trigger on Young. But Tua is a special talent... so passing on him is a risky proposition.

The Skins and Falcons both could equally draft a quarterback or a guy like Young.

And everyone but the Dolphins and Bengals are likely trade down candidates. My fear is the Skins are looking at their current roster construction and they are targeting Jeudy or Okudah. And that's one reason they're looking to move Norman. The Skins generally telegraph what they're doing. The Kerrigan extension rumors make me nervous. 

Young is local.  There's no way we pass him on him if he's there.  It gives the team cover to pass on a QB.  As much as Jeudy looks amazing, historically, WR is so deep and talent can be found later in the draft (See McLaurin).

If Young, Tua, and Burrow are gone, Okadah is probably the best fit as a need and talent.  

5 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Young is local.  There's no way we pass him on him if he's there.  It gives the team cover to pass on a QB.  As much as Jeudy looks amazing, historically, WR is so deep and talent can be found later in the draft (See McLaurin).

If Young, Tua, and Burrow are gone, Okadah is probably the best fit as a need and talent.  

Remember, I'm talking about what the Skins FO may do. Not what any of us would do.

And if it got to the point where somehow Young & Tua are both gone and we take Okudah I may shed real life tears of mourning.

7 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

3 DMV products going in the top 20. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Remember, I'm talking about what the Skins FO may do. Not what any of us would do.

And if it got to the point where somehow Young & Tua are both gone and we take Okudah I may shed real life tears of mourning.

Why?

CB is a HUGE need and he's an elite talent.  

I honestly haven’t watched much college football this year, but I’m curious what the college expert ES’rs think on this: how much of Okudah’s production would you say is due to Young?  We’ve seen stud DB’s completely fall off once they’re missing that elite pass rush time and time again. 

Archived