Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

9 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm reading only three confirmed UDFA signings.  That's really weak if true, especially for a draft where an unusually high number of good players went undrafted.

got to disagree here. Pretty sure it was reported pre draft we had an unusually high number of players under contract already. UDFA - we got what most would consider the primary target available to us in a major area of need. Let’s see how the UDFA crop looks in a day or so. I’d judge it on quality, not quantity/volume.

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

sorry, but while i'm good enough with head coach and talent evaluator rivera (but not enthralled even while grateful we even got that good a get) i am uncertain about rivera the gm/hg/king...there are few guys that pull off that dual role well and i'm far from %100 that ron  is one of them at this point... 

I agree, but I do think that Ron has a down to Earth quality and calming energy to his personality that will serve the organizational cutlure well.  I don't get the sense that he's a king, but rather a captain.  I kind of like his temperament, and I think it will be a plus once he can establish personal relationships with our players and get some of his guys into the locker room.  It's just tough to come in and do that quickly for any front office and coaching staff in the middle of a transition, particularly when the normal offseason schedule has been so heavily disrupted by Covid-19.

I'm a little more worried about Kyle Smith.  He's so young and relatively inexperienced compared to other heads of player personnel.  I think there will be a string of mistakes along the way of him growing into the job that could be painful missed opportunities.  And I think he's probably viewed as an unknown, so outside FAs and UDFAs have been hesitant to do business with us at first.  We don't have a well established organizational identity yet.

But I also think there is no way in Hell he's worse at the job than Bruce Allen.  Allen's tenure here was defined by a selfish, cover your own ass culture and monstrous opportunity cost paid.  I don't think it's going to be like that with Kyle Smith.  I think we'll have a much more quiet and cooperative culture where we focus more on player development.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big Kyle guy, too.  I'll sit down and watch some of the players I wasn't that familiar with in the later rounds and see if my mind changes that they passed on what I thought at the time were better opportunities.    I would say in the past when Kyle has made sort of off beat choices at least in some of our minds in the draft they haven't really paid off the same way the more obvious names have.  Apke seemed a weird choice at the time.  Ditto Wes Martin (we will see about him).  Ditto Nicholson.  It's usually a pick per draft like that from him.  This time it was 4 picks like that.  But i admit I haven't watched any of those players games. 

I think you're right about the degraded perception of our organization.  To me the only cure for that is winning.  We've got to start making the playoffs and we need to win some playoff games.  Getting a better home atmosphere and facilities couldn't hurt either.

You're right about this part I quoted too, which is something I hadn't really thought about before.  I think we're getting a picture of Kyle's style--he puts a very high emphasis on athletic testing and he will value it over collegiate production/consistency.  You see that dynamic in quite a few of his picks, especially this year, but also in some of our more successful ones like McLaurin and Payne.  Sometimes the production has been married to the traits, like with Bryce Love and Derrius Guice and Montez and Chase Young and Khaleke Hudson.  But the common thread is the high end testing and it seems like he's not worried about drafting raw talents with minimal history of playing time so long as they're high percentile athletes.

I think this approach can be successful because I do think it's a coherent philosophy and a way to snag up hidden value in that crucial 1-150 range of draft classes, but it really hinges on the quality of your player development.  And that's what's been lacking in our organization.  We need to be getting more development from guys like Apke and Nicholson and Christian and Martin, etc.  I think this 2020 class is super athletic and because of that, it could end up blowing our tepid expectations away.  But it's all going to come down to how well we develop these guys.  I want to see more of our guys scoring in the 70s on PFF grades like Apke did.  I want to see Martin and Moreland and Saadhiq Charles and Khaleke Hudson and Antonio Gibson hitting that kind of benchmark.  And I want to see our studs like Haskins, Allen, Payne, and Sweat reaching their true potential--they should be scoring in the 80s.  This is our path to high level competitiveness and it should be achievable if we get our player development system in order.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only reason I would have bucked on Ron and Kyle's draft is if they hadn't of taken Chase Young absent a trade down. You either have to have full trust in them seemingly working in tandem or it's the same ole we have experienced for years. We are not one year away......TE class was weak....cornerback so-so. Taking the best available in the draft should always be the way to go... especially this year...filling in needs through free agency. We got alot of players on the roster already that if used better could be better. As coach said let's see how they mesh. If we still need a TE let's hope next year has a better crop and we have a second we can pick a higher rated one from that crop. And yes undrafted free agents are just like regular free agents....alot of them will ignore the slots available opportunity because of the reputation the franchise has. The Trent trade....he went from a number 1 pick to on the verge of being a compensatory 5th that we may have not even gotten depending on what we did in free agency next year which according to everyone needs to be a lot. They did the best they could with what they were left with. I appreciate them getting the third. Let's hope San Fran takes a nose dive and it'll be a high third. Digging out of a hole isn't pretty but I'll trust them to do it.

Based on this site:

https://nfltraderumors.co/2020-undrafted-free-agent-tracker/

The Redskins have signed 3 UDFAs, which is the least in the NFL. Though I question the accuracy of this list. For example, it lists the Rams with 20 UDFAs, which is way more then the Redskins would sign in a normal year. Sometimes the distinction between "signing" and "inviting for a tryout" get mixed up. But if there are no try-outs this year, then that shouldn't happen. Maybe it's the by product of the Rams having no salary cap money? In a normal year, the Redskins would have around 10 UDFAs.

Edited by Jericho

looks like we’ve signed 4, Interestingly all offensive players. QB, TE, 2 x WR

got to think we’re in the mix on D, some good DB’s out there still. And Bachie, one of my favourites at LB. wonder if there is a fight over some signatures. 

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

combine interview, asked what he would change about himself, he said “bigger......”

Oh wow... hadn't heard that one. Think that speaks to his maturity and seriousness.

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't know.  It's just odd for any team in any year regardless of context to do so little in UDFA.  There were a bunch guys IMO who were worth chasing, some of whom I named.  I do think this was one of the more attractive UDFA classes.   I was wondering why Kyle and Ron were doing a bunch of interviews, fan stuff in the throes if the UDFA signing flurry yesterday.    Maybe there is another person assigned to that task within the organization.  But for the moment it feels off when a bunch of teams signed 3 to 4 times the UDFAs we did and who have more loaded rosters than we do.  It's not the be all and end all, so am not crying about it.  But it just strikes me a little strange.

Its a red flag...concern for sure. 

2 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Oh wow... hadn't heard that one. Think that speaks to his maturity and seriousness.

sure didn’t help him.

That said, given he’s still unsigned, I think I’d consider being him in. Injuries a major issue but for the small amount these UDFA get signed for, why not role the dice.

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Its a red flag...concern for sure. 

1. We have tons of folks signed to the roster already (I think one of the most in NFL)

2. We have lots of previously drafted and Undrafted  young players we are developing at S, CB, WR, etc.

3. We have absurd cap room

I think the plan will be to attack camp cuts and cap casualty cuts from other talented teams. We will scoop up 2nd or 3rd year dirty starters who get replaced by highly drafted rookies on low level contracts.

• Like 3

since Trents money is gone maybe they can sign Logan Ryan now. Seems like we weren’t able to pick up a starting CB in the draft this would be a good move 

• Like 1

Just a few thoughts,

It feels like the Redskins have already signed low budget free agents before the draft. They have played in the nfl, have a better shot at making the team then most all UDFs that can be signed.  They signed 3 solid UDFs that have a chance while most others are just camp fodder for other teams.   Cap money is up to 35.5 mill after trading Trent and signing FAs later could be the way to go?  Trades can happen too.  Its different this year, how are teams going to see the free agents they signed if rookie mini camps are eliminated.  less time on the field = less time to get ready for the season. Less UDFs maybe better this year?  Maybe that was the plan? 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Just a few thoughts,

It feels like the Redskins have already signed low budget free agents before the draft. They have played in the nfl, have a better shot at making the team then most all UDFs that can be signed.  They signed 3 solid UDFs that have a chance while most others are just camp fodder for other teams.   Cap money is up to 35.5 mill after trading Trent and signing FAs later could be the way to go?  Trades can happen too.  Its different this year, how are teams going to see the free agents they signed if rookie mini camps are eliminated.  less time on the field = less time to get ready for the season. Less UDFs maybe better this year?  Maybe that was the plan? 

Let me preface this by saying its not the end of the world one way or another as to UDFAs.  But typically you got nothing to lose but money and not even a heck of a lot of money to sign a bunch of guys and see who impresses and sticks.  It's not an this versus that type of scenario.  One thing doesn't preclude the other.  These guys don't have to make the roster, most of them don't.  But the more you sign, the easier is it to find that diamond in the rough.   One of our best players last year arguably was a UDFA.  And all teams have the challenge of the current environment but the Redskins as far as I can tell at least thus far have signed the least, with some teams (with big reps) signing 3 to 4 times the numbers we did.  It's not that big of a deal but it's a bit odd IMO.

The point below is what I said earlier.  I noticed when twitter was abuzz with UDFA being signed, Kyle and Rivera seemed out of the mix after the Moss signing. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
43 minutes ago, Lovi said:

since Trents money is gone maybe they can sign Logan Ryan now. Seems like we weren’t able to pick up a starting CB in the draft this would be a good move 

I disagree.....it would be a GREAT move. Good idea.