zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Do we know why Gibson had so few touches?

 

My guess is he was a JUCO transfer stuck behind a well established senior RB in Patrick Taylor, who had earned the right to start  and carry the load after paying his dues in a timeshare with Darrell Henderson.

 

From what I've read, Gibson was a RB by background going back to High School.  But they used him mainly as a slot receiver in order to get him on the field on offense.  I'm guessing that if he'd had a third season of eligibility, he would have been the lead back next year.

 

Memphis has been oddly flush in NFL talent at RB for a group of five school. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

What, you don't think they should reach for positions of not-need?

Wait til they draft Eason and Fromm tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PartyPosse said:

Wait til they draft Eason and Fromm tomorrow.

I didn't mind taking a QB.  I took Love in the mock draft.  Not thrilled about burning an extra 4th round pick on it, though.  I'd rather have let him drop, or spend a 3rd or 4th or Eason if he didn't.  It's the day 2 RB and TE that got me.  Especially considering these guys were day three projections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I didn't mind taking a QB.  I took Love in the mock draft.  Not thrilled about burning an extra 4th round pick on it, though.  I'd rather have let him drop, or spend a 3rd or 4th or Eason if he didn't.  It's the day 2 RB and TE that got me.  Especially considering these guys were day three projections.

Judging by the fact only one QB went in rounds 2 and 3, there's a good chance love could have fallen to GB in the second. 

 

I'm not surprised Dillon went today though. 

Edited by PartyPosse

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Gibson sure looks a dynamic player with significant upside, especially in this offensive scheme. Feels like a slight reach, but then who knows. 
 

I’d definitely be looking to add Joe Reed into the WR group today though.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a compelling argument @volsmet, and I had similar thoughts.  However, I can’t help but look at 4.2 as close enough to a third round pick that we should be able to grab a good (potentially better) player without quite such red flags.  Same with Charles (though interviews could alter his risk).  I look at Tyler Johnson, Davis-Gaither, and even Amik Robertson, and their red flags don’t bother me nearly as much.  And those 3 could be studs, IMO.  
 

I will say though, your point about protecting the middle for Haskins makes me a bit uneasy about passing on a talent like Muti...
 

With our second 4th though?  I see that as a bonus pick and high upside is worth the high risk.  



 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PartyPosse said:

Judging by the fact only one QB went in rounds 2 and 3, there's a good chance love could have fallen to GB in the second. 

 

I'm not surprised Dillon went today though. 

I thought Love was on a tier above the next QBs.  A good target for a team that doesn't have an immediate but could stand to take a chance on the future.  With him off the board, those teams won't be desperate to take just any QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Gibson sure looks a dynamic player with significant upside, especially in this offensive scheme. Feels like a slight reach, but then who knows. 
 

I’d definitely be looking to add Joe Reed into the WR group today though.

Yeah, I think Gibson really fits with the PA passing and miss direction Turner goes for... not to mention success with these is a good way to help out your tackles.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

 

Ah, gotcha.  I've missed most of the conversation tonight.  It's difficult to follow the pace of these threads and the draft at the same time when I've been tripping on @volsmet's mood stabilizers and @Monk4thaHALL's famous moonshine.

 

Where is Monk anyways?

2 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Where is Moss’ kid supposed to go?
 

 

 

If I'm being honest with myself.  Super late.  Like Round 7 to UDFA late.  He just does not move well.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That’s a compelling argument @volsmet, and I had similar thoughts.  However, I can’t help but look at 4.2 as close enough to a third round pick that we should be able to grab a good (potentially better) player without quite such red flags.  Same with Charles (though interviews could alter his risk).  I look at Tyler Johnson, Davis-Gaither, and even Amik Robertson, and their red flags don’t bother me nearly as much.  And those 3 could be studs, IMO.  
 

I will say though, your point about protecting the middle for Haskins makes me a bit uneasy about passing on a talent like Muti...
 

With our second 4th though?  I see that as a bonus pick and high upside is worth the high risk.  



 


If we miss on Muti, at worst, we lose another game or two & get better picks in every round the next year. If we hit, we have a pro bowl guard. Im not going to overthink that investment being worth it 4.2 but not our following pick... I’m getting the volatile asset with huge potential for growth. NE does it a bit, Easley in round 1 a few years back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, I think Gibson really fits with the PA passing and miss direction Turner goes for... not to mention success with these is a good way to help out your tackles.  

 

Yep. Motioning out of the backfield to line up at wideout, who's the D gonna put on him....a safety....LB? Good night, Irene!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The top rated remaining player left on the NFLs main site is John Simpson, Clemson Guard.

 

I have never heard of him before, so what’s the deal with him then??

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I initially didn't understand the Gibson pick. What I now see is the positional versatility that RR covets. Providing depth and competition at WR/RB/Returner. The combination of size and speed is sick. I see a Percy Harvin/Deebo Samuel type of player. Percy for the speed and Deebo with the power. 

 

When you set aside clear need and fit but just look at this from the lense of adding premier athletic talent to our roster you gotta love it. We often talk of how many good players we have. With Chase and now Gibson we have some players with potential WOW factor. These are the type of dudes that can get fans back to the stadium and give us some primetime tv buzz. Fireworks on both sides of the ball.

 

Let's get it! Love the draft so far!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also picked up a couple FA TE on the cheap with NFL experience. Now I would have liked to see them pickup Trautman. But I also like the Gibson pick. Further, the Bears have about 10 tight ends on their roster after picking up Kmet. No way they keep all of them. So again, we sit back, relax through this COVID ****, see what you got in Rogers, Thomas and the rest of the TEs on the roster. If they don't work out, hit up the Bears. But I honestly think we're going to see good things out of Thomas and Rogers. But I'm also not sure how heavy Turner's offense utilizes TEs. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

We also picked up a couple FA TE on the cheap with NFL experience. Now I would have liked to see them pickup Trautman. But I also like the Gibson pick. Further, the Bears have about 10 tight ends on their roster after picking up Kmet. No way they keep all of them. So again, we sit back, relax through this COVID ****, see what you got in Rogers, Thomas and the rest of the TEs on the roster. If they don't work out, hit up the Bears. But I honestly think we're going to see good things out of Thomas and Rogers. But I'm also not sure how heavy Turner's offense utilizes TEs. We'll see.

 

You can just scheme out the TE's. Will just put a lot more pressure on the WRs and make the run game harder. 

 

But my main issue is. Last year's we either had a TE who couldn't block **** in the run game or had a TE that was so bad as a receiver...that teams knew we where going to run. So you just want to make us more versatile and harder to read. You need a do it all TE for that imo. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can't solve all of our deficient areas in a single draft, and I'd rather not reach for a player. I'm eager to see what Hoener can do with Thomas, Wilson and Hentges.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kin hell 😲 Iv just checked out this Harrison Byrant lad ... the video was a load of DB’s and LB’s bouncing off him that guy does not go down easy and he’s got good hands too, wouldn’t mind a bit of that in the Burgundy and Gold

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, nonniey said:

No many had them in the 4th. It's the other TEs that were picked that are surprise.


Im not talking about round placement. I’m talking about skill set. I thought he was a 3-4 rounder, too. And I’m not shocked Asiasi went high.

 

Deguara and Keene throws me for a loop, though. I think Steve is on the money. These are move guys, not in-line guys. But still. Didn’t see them being drafted that far ahead of Trautman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's my best available, not in any real order

 

QB Josh Love

QB Jacob Eason

QB Jake Fromm

RB Lamical Perine

RB Anthony McFarland

RB James Robinson

RB Pete Guerriero

RB Eno Benjamin

G Solomon Kindley

G Cameron Clark

G Shane Lemiuex

G Ben Bredeson

G Kevin Dotson

G Calvin Throckmorton

G John Simpson

G Netane Muti

G Hakeem Adeniji

G Logan Stenberg

IOL Tyler Biadasz

C Nick Harris

OT Charlie Heck

OT Saahdiq Charles

WR Gabriel Davis

WR Tyler Johnson

WR Collin Johnson

WR James Proche

WR Trishton Jackson

WR Joe Reed

WR Antonio Gandy Golden

WR John Hightower

TE Albert O

TE Brycen Hopkins

TE Hunter Bryant

TE Thaddeus Moss

EDGE Curtis Weaver

EDGE Bradlee Anae

EDGE Alton Robinson

LB Akeem Davis-Gaither

LB Cam Gill

LB Shaq Quarterman

LB Scoota Harris
LB Dante Olson
CB Amik Robinson

CB Troy Pride, Jr.

CB Darnay Holmes

CB Lavert Hill

CB Reggie Robinson III

S/CB Bryce Hall

S Khaleke Hudson

S Antoine Brooks

S Rodney Clemons

S Kenny Robinson

 

Of that group, guys I covet most for us (not in order):

G Netane Muti

G Solomon Kindley

G Cameron Clark

T Saahdiq Charles

WR Collin Johnson

WR Antonio Gandy Golden

TE Albert O

LB Akeem Davis-Gaither

LB Shaq Quarterman

CB Amik Robinson

S/CB Bryce Hall

S Kenny Robinson

 

I'd go Akeem Davis-Gaither with our first 4th and then on the second one Saahdiq Charles or one of the guards.

 

Then in the 5th I think Kenny Robinson might be there. Bryce Hall might be gone then, but I like his versatility of CB/S. I think he'd be a nasty safety for us.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it. Guard and linebacker are high on my list of team needs. We probably could use a challenger for a starter and depth. Same is probably true for linebacker unless Ruben Foster surprises us all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

 

Trautman went in the third, most mocks had him 2nd-3rd.  Some see Albert O as a boom-bust prospect so he was all over the map in mocks.

 

Some of my dark horse TEs like Keene went way earlier than I expected.  

 

Wonder if a team looking for a TE gets desperate tomorrow?   IMO there aren't really any well rounded TE's left.  I like Hopkins and Harrison Bryant almost equally.  Harrison is the better blocker albeit I don't think he is likely going to be a good blocker on the next level.  Harrison wouldn't be my top choice in the 4th but I wouldn't hate it.  Maybe Albert O?

 

I think I am Bryce Hall, Tyler Johnson or Akeem-Davis-Gaither. 

I am disappointed but not surprised Asiasi was taken in the 3rd. These TE prospects just can't do it all like he can. 

I was ultra bummed to wake up to finding Deguara was taken. He was my dark horse for today.

I don't love any of the others but wondering if they go Hopkins because he has experience and not as much a liability blocking as many of the others are.

 

I worry about Albert O as he seems to lack an aggressive nature whether running a route or blocking. As a GM I would wonder his motivation in this extended time off. This guy would have been a late first rounder a year ago.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really liked Muti, and had him off the board at #60 to Baltimore. Seemed like a perfect fit. At worst, I thought he would be picked up by Pittsburgh to replace Villanueva. Shocked by his availability at this point. I think Wes Martin could take over the LG position this year, and never cared for Roullier at C. If Muti could come in and maul at center, then I’m for the pick. I had Cushenberry and Hennessy really high on my board to replace Roullier ( with a deep sleeper Frederick Mauigoa as the fall back plan later). I’ll never say no to a natural mauler. 
 

Albert Okwuegbunam 

Netane Muti

 

These are my only options at 108. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

 

I worry about Albert O as he seems to lack an aggressive nature whether running a route or blocking. As a GM I would wonder his motivation in this extended time off. This guy would have been a late first rounder a year ago.

 


I think his nature is more cerebral than physical. Albert was a 1st/2nd round TE prospect in the 2019 draft, but wanted to also enter the medical field to be a doctor, so stayed in school another year. So he’s probably not going to bang as much as you might like, but with a guy like that, and the physical traits he has, you could certainly plug him in as a TE1. Probably needs challenged from the coaches. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see the following, reasonable scenario occur:

 

Rd. 4 Harrison Bryant or Albert O.

Rd. 4 Prince Wanogho, Saahdiq Charles, or Ben Bartch

Rd. 5 Antoine Brooks or JR Reed

Rd. 7 Luq Barcoo, Dane Jackson, or Lamar Jackson

Rd. 7 Isaiah Coulter, Joe Reed, or Kalija Lipscomb

 

Other players that have my attention: Bryce Hall, Troy Pride, Colby Parkinson, Gandy-Golden, KJ Hill,Tyler Johnson, Alex Taylor, Charlie Heck, Jack Driscoll, Trey Adams,  L'Jarius Snead, Cameron Clark, K'Von Wallace, AJ Green.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.