zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He, Pittman and Van Jefferson from the players I watched were the smoothest route runners from my point of view.  In most other drafts, Tyler would be IMO a 2nd rounder.   I think he's a safer pick than the best TEs left even though I'd roll the dice on some of those TEs.

I do like Akeem Davis Gaither probably the most of available picks.  Bryce Hall is tempting if he's healthy.

I haven't reviewed all the players left yet but off the top of my head right now, I'd go

1. Aleem-Davis

2. Tyler Johnson

3.  Bryce Hall

4.  Harrison Bryant or Hopkins (tie)

5.  Albert O

My sleeper is K'von Wallace (I think its a little early for him but he can help in the slot and at FS)  

Steves boy from Oregon st is slippery too, that cat/beaver is smooth.

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2

Coulter?  IMO Brandt is losing it.  I don't mind Coulter but I might have 10 receivers left I like better than him.  Will see.  If teams just want speed then I guess why not but there are a number of better receivers IMO.   

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Steves boy from Oregon st is slippery too, that cat/beaver is smooth.

Hodgins has great hands but weak as for YAC.  I'd like him but not yet in the 4th maybe 5th?   Another 5th roudish guy with good hands and a sick catch radius is Collin Johnson.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

At what point does Netane Muiti become worth the risk?

Good point he's as good as any of the guards IMO sans Hunt, mauler.  Maybe late 4th?

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Harrison Bryant and Saahdiq Charles should be the 2 4th round picks tomorrow.

Not sure they'd be my top choices but I'd like it. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'll be generous with this. In my opinion, we still have holes at (in order of severity) LT, TE, CB, MLB, and FS. Maybe Darby is a successful gamble, maybe Ron Rivera thinks one of our current OLBs can be thrown in the middle, and maybe Sean Davis is also a successful gamble. Those are positions that can actually work out. There is not a single LT not named Trent Williams or TE on this roster that is even close to being starter material. We don't have to fill them with stars, but Geron Christian is going to get Dwayne Haskins killed, he's awful. Sprinkle/Logan Thomas are in competition for worst starting TE's in the league right now. 

So where do you all think we go from here on out? I just looked at the OT class for next year, it looks better at the top in my opinion, but we have to fill the gap this year somehow. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

At what point does Netane Muiti become worth the risk?

Now, imo, if he’s half as good as he’s been described ... you can’t avoid risk in round 4, get the talent. 

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hodgins has great hands but weak as for YAC.  I'd like him but not yet in the 4th maybe 5th?   Another 5th roudish guy with good hands and a sick catch radius is Collin Johnson.

Im just talking about route running, he’s just a natural setting guys up & getting to his spot, it’s effortless. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'll be generous with this. In my opinion, we still have holes at (in order of severity) LT, TE, CB, MLB, and FS. Maybe Darby is a successful gamble, maybe Ron Rivera thinks one of our current OLBs can be thrown in the middle, and maybe Sean Davis is also a successful gamble. Those are positions that can actually work out, there is not a single LT not named Trent Williams or TE on this roster that is even close to being starter material. We don't have to fill them with stars, but Geron Christian is going to get Dwayne Haskins killed, he's awful. Sprinkle/Logan Thomas are in competition for worst starting TE's in the league right now. 

So where do you all think we go from here on out? I just looked at the OT class for next year, it looks better at the top in my opinion, but we have to fill the gap this year somehow. 

Gaps must be filled, if you are a TA guy/gal, but if the gap lingers long enough, we may be rewarded with Sewell. 

OK . the third round is over, Who do the Skins draft in the fourth round?

How about Saahdig Charles OT tackle from LSU, 6' 5" 328 LBS . Needs some work on technique and there is a 6 game suspension for disciplinary reasons, for what indiscretions

not mentioned  by the LSU coach Ed Oregon, as a "coaches  decision " sounds like there was a difference of point of view between coach and player .

Saahdig Charles a recipient of the 2019 Joe Moore award given to the best collegian offensive line.

Skins need to find a replacement for the Trent Williams debacle

• Like 1

2 major injuries for Matui already but he's a mauler in the mode of Scherff-Will Hernandez.  If we are going to run the ball, he's perfect.  Injuries worry me but his value in the 4th is intriguing. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The Redskins picked up offensive linemen, Cornelius Lucas and Wes Schweitzer in free agency on dirt cheap contracts. Notice I said linemen and not specific positions on the line. Ron has said multiple times that he's looking for guys that can play multiple position along the line. So the question is, are any of the linemen after the 2nd round of the draft better than these two pickups? I don't think so, if you consider these two have had NFL starts, have gone through the developmental phase of the NFL and are still here. I think once the draft is over and players start to get weeded out, there will be additional guys out there that can provide depth. Fact is, the Redskins would not have been able to get an impact left tackle in this draft unless they moved up into the 2nd....maybe. That would have been a disastrous reach IMO. Replacing Trent will probably be in the plans for a future draft. In the meantime, I think Lucas or hopefully a better Geron will suffice until that happens. 

Edited by joeken24
add
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Now, imo, if he’s half as good as he’s been described ... you can’t avoid risk in round 4, get the talent. 

It just feels like it never works out for us.  We always get the worst outcome for injuries and injury prone players.

He's a monster though.  He tangled with Daron Payne to a draw as a freshman.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Gaps must be filled, if you are a TA guy/gal, but if the gap lingers long enough, we may be rewarded with Sewell. 

Sewell is ridiculous, he's probably projected to go top 3-5 next year right? I don't know if we're that awful, it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me, but this also means Dwayne might not be who we think he can turn into. I know a decent amount on Walker Little since he was projected to come out this year. The other guys not as much but here's the top guys it seems like. 

Penei Sewell

Walker Little

Alex Leatherwood

Liam Eichenberg

Sam Cosmi

Jackson Carman

I'd be okay with any but realistically we're probably going to be in the range of Walker Little, Alex Leatherwood, and Liam Eichenberg. Not a lot of people rank Jackson Carman high right now but he's going to rise in my opinion. After Sewell, these guys are kind of similar prospects to the four we saw go in the early first this year it seems like. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BTBIRD 227 said:

not mentioned  by the LSU coach Ed Oregon, as a "coaches  decision " sounds like there was a difference of point of view between coach and player .

Probably drug stuff.  He's got a reputation for falling in with bad crowds.  I don't think there is an OT left worth drafting.  None are going to be better than Geron Christian.  We missed our shot with Josh Jones.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It just feels like it never works out for us.  We always get the worst outcome for injuries and injury prone players.

He's a monster though.  He tangled with Daron Payne to a draw as a freshman.

Would you want Dallas to draft him in 4?

If he is a legitimate first round talent, as a iOL, then I’ll be upset if we don’t take him. The middle of the line, for DH, is everything ... he can slide up, he’s comfortable with pressure, but we have to give our guy a place to step up and a ground game. Guards are the most undervalued commodity in the game, I would be elated with Muti ...again, trusting your evaluation of him. I wanted one last year... it would be unbelievable to get a talent like Mccoy or Jenkins on our line. .. he sounds more gifted than Risner. 

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Probably drug stuff.  He's got a reputation for falling in with bad crowds.  I don't think there is an OT left worth drafting.  None are going to be better than Geron Christian.  We missed our shot with Josh Jones.

Young, Jones & Muti would have been better than my most ideal, reasonable, projection. 

11 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Sewell is ridiculous, he's probably projected to go top 3-5 next year right? I don't know if we're that awful, it sure as hell wouldn't surprise me, but this also means Dwayne might not be who we think he can turn into. I know a decent amount on Walker Little since he was projected to come out this year. The other guys not as much but here's the top guys it seems like. 

Penei Sewell

Walker Little

Alex Leatherwood

Liam Eichenberg

Sam Cosmi

Jackson Carman

I'd be okay with any but realistically we're probably going to be in the range of Walker Little, Alex Leatherwood, and Liam Eichenberg. Not a lot of people rank Jackson Carman high right now but he's going to rise in my opinion. After Sewell, these guys are kind of similar prospects to the four we saw go in the early first this year it seems like. 

We are the longest odds to win the Sb, it surely wouldn’t surprise anyone if we were picking in the top 5 for one more season. I’d be happy to lose our way to Sewell... it was worth it for Young, imo. 

• Like 2

Bryce Hall must be great value now.

My day 3 list

Darnay Holmes

Joe Bachie

Brycen Hopkins

Joe Reed WR

Javaris Davis

Think the team will look at OL Alex Taylor and/or Cameron Clark.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Green Bay had the worst draft I’ve ever seen in my life. 

What, you don't think they should reach for positions of not-need?

• Haha 2

So now these 2 days are over the real draft starts. Any idiot can find talent in first 3 rounds. These are the real scout rounds. Without the full draft off-season I expect it to be wild. I'm excited to see what we do.

My feeling say we would be smart to grab a TE and OT. But I looked around. I don't see an OT that I think can be a legit started Any time soon. So would skip that.  For the TE the guys look to be pretty close. I don't think a TE in the 4th is way better then one in the 5th. So I think in the 4th just take guys you really like.

I love to get Quaterman with one of the 4th rounders. There is nothing fancy about this guy but played from day 1 for Miami. Did nothing else then just produce, hustle and hit people. Are his height weight speed numbers good, nope. But he gets the job done. This guy is going to produce. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Would you want Dallas to draft him in 4?

If he is a legitimate first round talent, as a iOL, then I’ll be upset if we don’t take him. The middle of the line, for DH, is everything ... he can slide up, he’s comfortable with pressure, but we have to give our guy a place to step up and a ground game. Guards are the most undervalued commodity in the game, I would be elated with Muti ...again, trusting your evaluation of him. I wanted one last year... it would be unbelievable to get a talent like Mccoy or Jenkins on our line. .. he sounds more gifted than Risner.  

You can't separate the injuries from his potential because of how serious they were.  Two serious Achilles injuries and a Lisfranc.  He missed over half of his college career as a result of them.  Physically, he's a Hulk.  He's the most explosively powerful player in the class and I don't think it's close.  And temperamentally, he's a barbarian.  But if he's going to miss half his games with leg injuries, I can't get on board with drafting him, despite his talent.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You can't separate the injuries from his potential because of how serious they were.  Two serious Achilles injuries and a Lisfranc.  He missed over half of his college career as a result of them.  Physically, he's a Hulk.  He's the most explosively powerful player in the class and I don't think it's close.  And temperamentally, he's a barbarian.  But if he's going to miss half his games with leg injuries, I can't get on board with drafting him, despite his talent.

The injuries are baked in at some point, it’s round 4, how are we determining value. 

Potential Hof

Potential all-pro

Potential good starter

Potential average starter

Potential backup/St guy

Whats the investment 

If you’re giving me potential hof in round 4, i dont need a hit % over 5%. These guys all have risk, that’s why they’re here ... I lean towards trade backs & the luxury of taking on high risk talent. The rest of the board obviously comes into play, but I’m taking my potential hit on all-pro at 5% over a potentially average starter at 50%. You just don’t need to hit on draft picks that often, scheme & development are where most games are won ... the freaks make up for deficiencies, that’s where I’m going with my picks on day 3. Trade back, then take him, grab a safer pick if necessary, but I happily take in the risk of a Muti, I’m drafting for titles not 8-8.

• Like 2