Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

15 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

KDawg,

Nice, you have a ton of time invested in this!

The only things that jump out are Ruiz way up to 21, plus Chinn and Hennessy all making the the top 30...but I get it and like the heck out of all three!!!

Keep in mind that’s not a list of draft position. It’s a list of how I rank the guys. Ruiz won’t be drafted that high. Other guys will go ahead of him that I feel, right now, are lesser players due to need

3 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

How do we find this years McLaurin or Kittle? Players with great measurables ,drive and character but perhaps wasn't the first or second option on offense? A true dark horse.

Plenty of material on this thread on players like that with potential -- great write ups from many people here. 

I was one of the guys who touted McLaurin last year.  I thought he'd be good though surprised he ended up better than just good -- he was great.  I touted Harmon, too.     This receiver group is much more special than last years.   I mentioned recently if I had to look at a WR that reminds me some of the McLaurin profile it would be Michael Pittman.   

He has these things in common with McLaurin:

A.  Shined at the senior bowl

B.  Known for his high character-work ethic

C.  Works on his route running religiously

D.  Good run blocker

E.  Good special teams player

Both dudes projected mostly in the late 2nd-3rd round range.  Pittman isn't as fast as McLaurin but for a dude his size he's a really good athlete. 

As for Tight End, no one really reminds me of Kittle but Trautman does to an extent as to playing with a similar physical style.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SIP, I love Pittman. Would be such a good addition. I love the 3rd and 4th rounders in this draft. I wish we had a million picks there. 

I forgot how good an athlete Albert Haynesworth was. 

"At Tennessee's Pro Day in 2002, when he was 20 years old, Haynesworth measured at 6-feet-6 and 317 pounds, ran a 4.82 40-yard dash, and had a 39-inch vertical jump and a 9-foot, 7-inch broad jump.[9]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Haynesworth

• Like 3

Dalton Keene, Tight End from Virginia Tech.    He's a really good blocker.  He's not Trautman level good but he's up there with Asiasi.  He's really a consistent blocker both in the run game and as a pass blocker.  He locks onto his blocks, rarely misses his guy, and seems to have strong hands and can keep to his block to give RBs time if needed. 

As a pass catcher, he's purely a projection.  Kind of like S. Sullivan from LSU on that front.  They didn't throw to him much and when they did it was mostly quick out routes.

But he's a big dude, 6 '4, 253 pounds yet he ran a 4.71 and he looks fast for his size when he has some space to run in the open field.  

late 6th, 7th round?  

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

SIP, I love Pittman. Would be such a good addition. I love the 3rd and 4th rounders in this draft. I wish we had a million picks there. 

Rivera supposedly likes versatile, high character guys and is big on special teams.  Kyle Smith struck gold with McLaurin.  If he's looking for a dude with a similar profile in some ways -- to me Pittman hits me as a similar cat.  So I can see both Rivera and Kyle falling hard for Pittman.  But who knows.  Will see. 

https://www.bucsnation.com/2020/3/25/21193744/tampa-bay-buccaneers-draft-profile-wide-receiver-michael-pittman-jr

Pittman Jr. as stated above, is a team player. He is active in blocking for the run and was a good gunner on special teams. That versatility will only help himself in getting on the field early and often. 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/usc-michael-pittman-2020-senior-bowl

Though they don't play the same position, Pittman Jr.'s family background becomes evident when you start to hear him speak. At the 2020 Senior Bowl, he was asked what he looks for in a cornerback when he's lined up across the line of scrimmage.

Pittman Jr. made it sound like he's been answering that question since he was four years old.

“The first thing that I’m looking for is if he’s a lateral corner or if he’s a shuffle corner," he said. "Is his first step going to [be back] or is he going to shuffle? It also depends if I know he’s a ‘bitter’ or if he’ll step and hold. It really just depends on the individual.”

...“[I want people to see] I’m a positive guy, and I lead by my actions," Pittman Jr. said. "I’m a team guy and I’m always willing to work with anybody whether it’s the top starter, the rookie, the janitors, the people who make meals for us, I’m willing to work with everybody.”

Though I can't speak to helping the janitors, I did hear Pittman Jr. talk about his work on special teams, something often considered "dirty work." Pitman smiled about it when he was asked. During the Senior Bowl media luncheon, he talked about his technique when it came to blocking punts — something he did four times in his career. 

“I’m relentless and then I don’t quit," he told to Chris Hayre of the Los Angeles Chargers. "So, whether it happens in the beginning [of the game] or happens in the end of the game, I’m just gonna get you — and I’m just gonna keep coming.”

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/michael-pittman-nfl-combine-2020

“The greatest lesson I learned was that you can never hurt yourself by working as hard as possible because if you work hard and fail, you still know you did everything possible and it just didn’t happen,” Pittman Jr. said Tuesday at the 2020 NFL Scouting Combine.

It was that attitude that resulted in Pittman doubling his statistics nearly across the board from 2018 to ‘19. At 6-foot-4, 223 pounds, he said he knew in order to get to the next level that has been attached to his family name for years, he couldn’t just be another big wide receiver. To separate himself from that narrative and stigma, he worked tirelessly in the offseason on his route running and fluidity in and out of his breaks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like both TEs, slightly prefer Trautman.   I am not much of a People-Jones guy albeit his athleticism is impressive.   But there are a ton of receivers I love, including one you touted to me --Duvernay. 

I still like Duvernay too. :)  I see you like Pittman Jr.  I don't know if he's there in the 4th.  If so, he'd be a good choice in the 4th. I can see Skins using the 3rd on a TE, and one of their 4ths on a WR.  

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

My first attempt at a big board... (I still have some guys to evaluate and re-evaluate, so this isn't final)

image.thumb.png.d9f293e6d6563c95edf8c077d506d07d.png

image.thumb.png.4d078dbee62e7825735996d9c41c9535.png

Incredible

• Like 1

@Skinsinparadise

love me some Dalton Keene. Can only speak anecdotally as a VT fan but don’t remember many drops over the years, and plays his ass off in every phase. Shows up when his name is called. 

he got a ton of reps as RB and FB in addition to TE. Very much a Swiss Army knife kind of guy. Someone that values versatility on offense and ability to play special teams will draft him without hesitation.

Team called him Rambo, great personality and scheme versatility for a guy like Rivera imo. 

Edited by LLandryistheshiz
  • Like 3

Chase Young

, EDGE

Ohio State

Cameron Dantzler

, CB

Mississippi State

K'Von Wallace

, S

Clemson

Quintez Cephus

, WR

Wisconsin

Antonio Gandy-Golden

, WR

Liberty

Jacob Breeland

, TE

Oregon

Jared Pinkney

, TE

Vanderbilt

• Like 3

Chase Young

, EDGE

Ohio State

Saahdiq Charles

, OT

LSU

Michael Pittman Jr.

, WR

USC

A.J. Dillon

, RB

Boston College

Albert Okwuegbunam

, TE

Missouri

Calvin Throckmorton

, OT

Oregon

Joey Magnifico

, TE

Memphis

• Like 3
8 hours ago, RWJ said:

I still like Duvernay too. :)  I see you like Pittman Jr.  I don't know if he's there in the 4th.  If so, he'd be a good choice in the 4th. I can see Skins using the 3rd on a TE, and one of their 4ths on a WR.  

I majorly doubt he's there in the 4th, got some doubts about the third actually.  I think for Pittman the one possible shot is using their early third round pick on him if he's there but I doubt he drops much further.  I got mixed feelings about that.  I love Pittman.  But I also love the idea of trading back.   In the Draft Network simulators though Pittman is just about always there in the 4th but I doubt it goes down that way. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Stuff like this is why I am so back and forth on Jeudy/Lamb. Jeudy is so advanced with his routes its amazing.

Lamb has an extra gear and has a ridiculous amount of shiftiness.

• Like 5

As much as a like Young as a prospect, I’m almost convinced the right thing to do is trade back IF the offer can result in us accumulating 3 or 4 more top 100 picks. Having 6-7 picks in the top 108 is the only way to build a foundation across the roster. Our inability to snag the big fish in FA reaffirms that for me.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I majorly doubt he's there in the 4th, got some doubts about the third actually.  I think for Pittman the one possible shot is using their early third round pick on him if he's there but I doubt he drops much further.  I got mixed feelings about that.  I love Pittman.  But I also love the idea of trading back.   In the Draft Network simulators though Pittman is just about always there in the 4th but I doubt it goes down that way. 

I think the possibility of trading back in the early 3rd and 4th rounds will definitely be considered.  We could pick up an later 3rd and additional 4th if we did so with our early 3rd and a later 4th and additional 5th with our early 4th.  We could have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th if my math is correct.  Second set of eyes needed, SIP.  :)

43 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

As much as a like Young as a prospect, I’m almost convinced the right thing to do is trade back IF the offer can result in us accumulating 3 or 4 more top 100 picks. Having 6-7 picks in the top 108 is the only way to build a foundation across the roster. Our inability to snag the big fish in FA reaffirms that for me.

See my post below yours.  It's an option.  I just don't see the Skins moving down in the draft. I totally understand you point and it would be a good move but when you have a chance to take a talent like Young you have to do it and I don' think enough will be offered to blow away the Skins from trading down and not taking Young. :)

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Stuff like this is why I am so back and forth on Jeudy/Lamb. Jeudy is so advanced with his routes its amazing.

Lamb has an extra gear and has a ridiculous amount of shiftiness.

I've seen both play live.  Studs.  I like Lamb more because of:  A. contested catches.  B.  YAC.  C. run blocking. 

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think the possibility of trading back in the early 3rd and 4th rounds will definitely be considered.  We could pick up an later 3rd and additional 4th if we did so with our early 3rd and a later 4th and additional 5th with our early 4th.  We could have a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th, 7th, 7th if my math is correct.  Second set of eyes needed, SIP.  :)

Right now, we got 3, 4,4, 5, 7,7.  If we traded down, we'd likely land an additional 4th.  If we traded down far down in the 3rd, probably land a 5th, too.

I am listening to Keim's podcast right now.  He said he knows they've done recently a video conference with a dude I recall we both like in the draft....

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Right now, we got 3, 4,4, 5, 7,7.  If we traded down, we'd likely land an additional 4th.  If we traded down far down in the 3rd, probably land a 5th, too.

I am listening to Keim's podcast right now.  He said he knows they've done recently a video conference with a dude I recall we both like in the draft....

Zach Moss. Now that IS really interesting. Apparently the new regime is smarter than the old. If the Christ Thompson's, Derrius Guice's and Jordan Reed's of the world can stay healthy, it's a bonus. You can't plan around it. 

• Like 1

My positional rankings and individual rankings have already changed.

And Sewo have both been added to my RB list. I won't be doing any updates for individual positions, at least on a regular basis, as far as posting them. But the rankings are all fluid as hell :ols:

• Like 1

So, with the offseason moves so far, and us down a 5th round pick, what positions then do we think we will be drafting?  I think Chase young is a given in the 1st.  After that we have 3 picks in rounds 3-4 and I think they will be most needed for:

WR

TE

OL

We've got to be set at QB now, and set at RB with Peterson, Guice, Love and McKissic, and stacked at DLine and most likely set at OLB.  We are hoping Foster is healthy to be the MLB, or that Bostic will be average enough.  That leaves the other problem positions as FS, CB, and WR, TE, and OL on the offense.  I do think the FS and CB pickups this offseason means the team things they will be fine, due to a combination of relying on Collins, Fuller and Moreau to play well, and the front 7 to put so much pressure on to make the DB's jobs easier.  So for me, I think the real weaknesses and needs are pass catchers and blockers.  I think we are fine at C and RG, and LG will depend on Wes Martins's progress(whom they seem to like.  So likely we will need to draft a tackle for either TW or Moses' spot.  Then a WR to compliment Terry, probably a big possession guy for goal line play.  Then literally any TE, as that will automatically be better than what we have.  Likely though a pass catcher to again help DH at the goal line.

Late round picks are fliers on talent and projects and filling special teams slots, but I really struggle to see how we can get out of this draft without drafting a WR, TE, and OT high, especially if you want a real evaluation of DH before next years draft.

Edited by Peregrine