Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

For a team that didn't have a 1st round pick in 2013-2014, it's impressive how we could potentially have 11/22 starters being first rounders. 

Disclaimer: this includes Peterson and Foster as starters, along with Chase Young, Trent, Scherff and Flowers. I know it's highly unlikely all of them be on the field, but that's nuts. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

This may sound crazy but I just read an interesting article regarding whether we should take Tua. 

I'm completely sold on Chase and am extremely excited about the possibility of drafting him. I'm a big proponent of pff and he has the highest edge grade ever. He is certainly no lock but I think he will dominate.

However, we saw AZ do this last year and if you truly think Tua is a franchise QB, you have to consider. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

What’s the knock on Okwuegbunam?  I believe Walter had/has him as their top TE?

I was going to get to watching him.  His production was off last year (but I guess that can be attributed to no Drew Lock) and he seems to get injured quite a bit.  

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Interested to see where Taylor goes. He was a WR in HS, he’s developed nicely v the run & is an incredible athlete, though his athleticism doesn’t show up as often on Saturdays as it does in practice.

EDGE

1. Chase Young, Ohio State
2. A.J. Epenesa, Iowa
3. Curtis Weaver, Boise State
4. Julian Okwara, Notre Dame
5. Darrell Taylor, Tennessee
6. Bradlee Anae, Utah
7. Yetur Gross-Matos, Penn State
8. K’Lavon Chaisson, LSU
9. Josh Uche, Michigan
10. Terrell Lewis, Alabama

1 hour ago, Bobby Peppers said:

This may sound crazy but I just read an interesting article regarding whether we should take Tua. 

I'm completely sold on Chase and am extremely excited about the possibility of drafting him. I'm a big proponent of pff and he has the highest edge grade ever. He is certainly no lock but I think he will dominate.

However, we saw AZ do this last year and if you truly think Tua is a franchise QB, you have to consider. 

I’d draft Tua & not think twice about it. At one point, I was the only Chase Young fan in the world, but that was 2015.

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I have to get to watching this dude, too

B89C74E4-E5FB-49C9-A2A1-7268544E3248.gif

• Like 2

Test your scouting talents by trying to handicap this guys future with what little you can find in the inter webs.

Davion Taylor is a guy who will be looked into more thoroughly than your grandpas prostate. Didn’t play in hs, track stud, phenomenal athlete, raw but with immense gifts.

• Like 1

Sticking with the LBs, Francis Bernard is a worker with plenty of support in footballville USA.

His teammate, Julian Blackmon has more tools to work with, he may be the most underrated db prospect at this point, he’s an explosive s prospect.

Enjoy:

• Like 2

McTelvin Agim is one of my favorite prospects in the draft, though not a need for us, I’ll be hoping he stays clear of our division. Agim was a 5 star prospect coming out of Hs, he’s a gifted dl.

• Like 1

Trade back & trade Trent:

1: Burrow

2: Tua

3: Young

4: Wills

Draft in round 1:

Simmons & Ruggs

Round 2: Diggs

Round 2: Duggar

Round 3: Gaither

Round 3: Hamler

Round 4: Weaver

Round 4: Terrell Lewis
Round 5: Adeniji

Round 5: Antoine Brooks

Round 6: Blackmon

DH won’t need a lot of time if Mclaurin, Hamler & Ruggs are his wide outs. 🤔

Duggar, Gaither, Brooks & Blackmon are all versatile guys between the numbers & Simmons is the most versatile prospect I’ve seen in a long time. Weaver/Lewis give us gifted options opposite Sweat. Dunbar & Diggs take care of the outside. 

Duggar 

Collins 

Gaither          Simmons                     

Dunbar              Sweat Allen Payne Kerrigan/Weaver/Lewis   Moreland    Diggs

Versatility for days, win at life & at football. 

Delirious late night draft trade scenarios, what a time to be alive. We’d be threatening on each side, certainly.

*I do believe the rest of the division would 🤫 themselves if they had to plan for Mclaurin, Ruggs & Hamler. Add Hunter Henry in FA & we take over.

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I'd honestly be cool and wait on TE until later and grab Jake Breeland with a comp 4th if we can. Dude was gonna go high but had a bad tear. Apparently it was a clean and will be ready to participate in summer camps. 

I think he might go a little lower than the fourth in the draft.  Third round, maybe late second round was his ceiling before he got hurt.  With an ACL tear, there is a chance he doesn't get drafted because he didn't have a big history of production prior to this season.  Rounds five and six is where I'd be looking for him.  I don't think we have a sixth rounder though.

5 hours ago, volsmet said:

Jeff Gladney, absurd talent, definitely a round 1 prospect on the field, but a pain in the arse off the field.

Aside from taking the occasional Texas safety, my general policy would be to never draft a Big 12 DB.  Those guys almost never know how to play.  For a conference that basically developed and popularized the modern shotgun-spread style of offensive football, you'd think they also would have at least copied/learned the techniques for defending it...

I don't agree with this guy always but I do at times. He used to play receiver and goes into pretty good detail about the dudes he likes.  He was one of the people high on McLaurin last year.  And liked Harmon, too so he was high on our draft. 

I'd have Ruggs as #3 as opposed to #1.   But i am good with the spirit of his point, I think Ruggs is likely a star in this league.  Like I said yesterday, if we traded down, getting Ruggs with a mid first rounder (with the Dolphins 2nd first rounder) would be one of the things I'd want aside from a surprise drop from someone else.  Though if Ruggs has a sick 40, which is possible, like hitting the 4.2's he might go before that pick. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

@Skinsinparadise I haven’t really watched Davis (in part because I figure he goes in Rd 2 and so is out of our range), but I really like that personality.  

Funny, but just a couple days ago I was thinking that two guys that would fit what we need at RB are Edwards-Helaire and Akers.  ‘Funny’ in part because I was thinking about how Akers is out of FSU like Thompson and CEH was Guice’s replacement.  

Hard to imagine CEH is really an option for us though considering who we have and the ammo it would take to get him, but Akers could be in the mix for us a bit later... maybe?

Edit: Oh, and Aiyuk with that wingspan?  Holy moly....

I like Higgins and Mims’ play styles a lot, guys with good length, speed, can catch anything near them and give good effort as blockers.  Mims answering questions about his route tree at the Senior Bowl was huge.  He’s probably moved up to top 5 conversation for us in my rankings. 
Higgins though.... can he run inside routes?  Wonder if his Pro Day will help with this?

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

Loved watching Julian Blackmon, he popped on the screen like a heat seeking missile when I was watching Jaylon Johnson work. 

Looking forward to digging into these other guys.  

I like Blackmon too, but I think he's got some issues that are a little concerning.  He was an outside corner who made the switch to playing inside and playing mostly in a deep zone role this season, and that increased freedom in the scheme is what led to the breakout year.  But it's important to recognize that he plays his position like a corner.  Super aggressive with his depth.  Super aggressive in his approach to playing the ball in the air.  He trusts his make up speed against anyone and he's 100% going to drive on the ball if there is even the tiniest chance he can get to it.  Super aggressive in his cut off and pursuit angles + spotty run recognition/instincts like what you'd expect from a corner.  That USC game was an ugly one for him (and most of that secondary).  Fink was basically throwing the ball up for grabs because he was a third stringer who had nothing to lose, and his hyper-aggressiveness caught Utah on the chin and exploited their own aggressiveness.  They took advantage of Blackmon's tendencies of A - too aggressive in his depth & B - processing a tick slow.  He was in a bracket coverage on Pittman in the second half and he still got beat deep at least once.  That's a demonstration that he can't play a deep coverage role the way he does against NFL speed.

You and @volsmet are absolutely right that he is one of the most explosive safeties in the country.  He has true NFL corner speed at the position.  But I think he's still very much learning the safety position and that he might not have the instincts and patience to be a truly great one.  My feeling about his personality as a player is that he wants to play downhill, downhill, downhill.  Be a backyard football star and go make the play as he lives to close on the ball from a deep set.  You love that aggressiveness in his mentality and you want to harness it, but you want more team ball from him too.  You want him showing more art for playing safety and feeling out the game and demonstrating better patience for picking his spots.  I think he might be getting bored when he's playing deep half/third all day and loses discipline in his feet and reads.  That's why I think his best position is as one of these corner/safety hybrid overhang roles where he gets more underneath zones and gets a lot of man coverage in the slot where someone else is deep.  Something where he can blitz more and go head to head with a receiver.  I do worry a little bit about him as an alley defender though.  I just don't get the sense he knows how to read linemen and guess gaps from watching him.  He's very reactive as a run defender, and the ball needs to be out in the open for him to find it.

I've seen his projected range basically be anywhere from 3rd round to undrafted, so I don't think the draftnik community has a strong read on him yet.  My own guess is that he has fourth or fifth round value.  I'd put him in roughly the same tier as K'Von Wallace and his teammate Turrell Burgess, as I think they each project to a similar role at the next level, with Blackmon perhaps having more versatility to play in deep zones because of his speed.  I love his upside, but I think his issues give him a low floor.  You basically can't hold down a steady job at safety in the NFL if you see through a straw and don't have a feel for everything that's developing around you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I haven’t really watched Davis (in part because I figure he goes in Rd 2 and so is out of our range), but I really like that personality.  

I like Davis.  He is a classic safety who has high end long speed and ball skills for the position.  I think he also sees the field reasonably well, and he plays with the energy and aggressiveness you want to see in a rally defender and a deep coverage playmaker.  The play strength is also better than I expected to see.  I see Apke in him, with better strength.  My complaints about him are kind of similar to the ones about Blackmon.  His tackling angles are pretty sketchy and the hope is that, when he's forcing, he can still keep himself in position to make plays, and I don't think he always does that.  He also makes it hard on himself with the close, too often having to come back against his body at the point of contact because he overran the play.

If I could get Davis's play speed and athleticism paired with his teammate Jaylinn Hawkins's instincts and recognition skills, I would have such a great player.  They've got that dynamic where Davis is the track star and Hawkins is the football player.  I do think Davis has the kind of position versatility you want to see in a modern DB, because I think he should be able to handle both deep and underneath zones as well as man up on slot players.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Funny, but just a couple days ago I was thinking that two guys that would fit what we need at RB are Edwards-Helaire and Akers.  ‘Funny’ in part because I was thinking about how Akers is out of FSU like Thompson and CEH was Guice’s replacement.  

I'm not an Akers fan.  He is a true 50-50 player where on one snap you're like, "wow, I can really work with this" and then on the next your reaction is "ugh, what a bum."  I think he's picked up some bad habits playing for that dead man walking program.  I think he's going to get drafted fairly high because the raw tools are so good.  Play strength is outstanding, has shown the ability to wallop hot linebackers and safeties.  CoD skills are what you'd expect from a super recruit.  But the patience and vision and effort are just so spotty.  He leaves too many yards on the field.  He has way too many bad/lousy effort snaps in the passing game.  He's an underachiever.  He's going to piss off his NFL coaches if he plays the way he did at FSU, and I could see him falling down a depth chart behind guys who are way less talented than him.  I think he goes in the third round but doesn't offer real value until the fourth or fifth.  I'd definitely be looking elsewhere at 66.

I don't like Edwards-Helaire for us either.  Not for the same reasons as Akers because I love the effort and mentality that Edwards-Helaire plays with.  He is a big time overachiever.  I just don't want another small running back in the platoon.  I'm ready to get off the Chris Thompson ride and Bryce Love is a better player filling the one small running back quota.  I want to get a bullying power back that can be a tone setter and be a Guice insurance policy/compliment.  Basically a future replacement for Peterson.

• Like 2