Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Neville Gallimore IS in this draft, isn’t he? Looks like an elite tools guy. Check out the workout numbers below. If he falls, I know this is crazy, but I wouldn’t mind him in the 4th. 

2.) Neville Gallimore, DT Oklahoma

Gallimore was a player that Dane Brugler and I highlighted in one of my Scouting Notebooks last season. He can “bench press 500 pounds and squat 800” according to Feldman. He also reportedly clocks 4.76 40 yard dash time which would be on of the fastest times for a 300+ pound player in the history of the combine. Gallimore could be a great fit in the Colts’ defense in the 2020 draft if Margus Hunt or Denico Autry struggle at all this next season.”

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2019/7/17/20696841/bruce-feldman-releases-2019-freak-list

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/neville-gallimore

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/neville-gallimore-1.html

@Skinsinparadise Funny, I was watching Taumoepeau last week.  Definitely has good athleticism and looks like he has solid mitts.  He was pretty atrocious blocking in space, though on the rare occasions he latched on, he did well.  Shouldn’t be too hard to coach that up though - he looks like he just needs to break down rather than overrunning his man.  Interestingly, he was generally better at in-line blocking, though the same issue would crop up - essentially lunging into space and whiffing blocks.  The good news is that I never noticed him getting thrown around or shrugged off when blocking.  
Not sure about his ability to beat man coverage, though he looked good after the catch.  With some work/coaching, I think he has the talent/athleticism to defeat man coverage though.  He does not sell pick plays well at all, but again, easy to coach that up.
He’s the kind of guy I’m looking at though for this team - a guy that can add to your arsenal in the pass game (in the near future) and possibly be developed into a decent blocker.

• Like 2

Scout No. 1:

"The Dayton kid, [Adam Trautman],” one scout said. “He's a carbon copy of [Dallas] Goedert coming out of South Dakota State but he runs looser and is just as talented as a pass catcher. Blocking needs work, but the effort and technique are easily there and improvable."

Trautman generated a ton of buzz in Mobile, Alabama, this past week. In what was initially seen as a lowly tight end class, there seems to be a lack of front line talent, but plenty of depth starting on Day 2. However, Trautman first began to impress off the field and at the microphone. 

Looking back to his final collegiate campaign, his best game came against Jacksonville where he caught four touchdowns. He also became the new record holder for career catches (110) in program history. There's a wide belief his stock is trending toward being an early-to-mid-second-round selection.

Scout No. 5:

"I didn't get a chance to see him live, but [Kyle] Dugger blew me away with how well put together his body was and then to go out there and perform like that,” a scout said. “That was really, really impressive. He's like Keanu Neal-lite. That's my best comparison for him."

With small-school prospects, it's always interesting to monitor how quickly they adjust to the speed of the game — if they sink or swim. Dugger swam and kept swimming, showing that he belonged despite the increased competition. Playing him primarily on the roof of the defense during the first practice session, most of his success came on the second and third day the closer he was to the line. Dugger quickly became the talk of practice after having an impressive interception during the one-on-one portion of practice. While guarding former Vanderbilt tight end Jared Pinkney, he cut underneath his route in order to haul in the turnover.

While many are still waiting to see how he stacks up at the combine, top-50 chatter has become a realistic possibility for the Division II standout. Dugger showed off his versatility as a free and strong safety as well as a blitzing threat off of the edge and made many teams believers after seeing that his skills translated to his upper-echelon counterparts.

Edited by Fresh8686

OT Jedrick Wills Jr.

From a positive standpoint, Wills is a nasty blocker who plays with a violent attitude and superior strength. He opens up running lanes, and once he gets his hands on opponents, it’s game over. The problems are stiffness, footwork off the edge, and the inability to block with proper pad level.

Wills does not play with good knee bend, struggles adjusting to opponents, and cannot slide off the edge in pass protection or block in motion. He’s a throwback type of right tackle from 15 years ago, not a Lane Johnson type of right tackle or, for that matter, a Tristan Wirfs type of right tackle.

I never thought Wills was in the class of Andrew Thomas from Georgia despite the fact many grade him higher, and the eight games of film I watched further affirmed my opinion.

WR Jerry Jeudy

Jeudy plays with superior speed, and he’s a home-run-hitting threat who stretches the field with ease. He’s also an accomplished receiver who catches the ball in stride with his hands and displays a smoothness about his game. He doesn’t gather into cuts or ready himself to catch the ball, especially on deep passes; it happens naturally.

Jeudy also needs space to work and lacks a physical nature to his game.  

Whenever he’s crowded, either trying to make the reception or running after the catch, it’s a different story; Jeudy struggles. All too often I watched him finish plays by voluntarily running out of bounds. I could see Jeudy taking a Calvin Ridley-like tumble on draft day.

WR Henry Ruggs III

I’ve taken heat since the preseason for my low ranking of Ruggs, but I still view him as a marginal first-round prospect. Yes – he’s a fast, explosive vertical threat. He’s also a decent pass catcher. But despite these skills, the minimal production disturbs me.  

Jerry Jeudy and DeVonta Smith posted superior pass-catching numbers, and too many times I felt Ruggs’ opportunities came as teams were concentrating on that duo. I think he’s a developmental prospect whose speed and yards per catch mesmerize many.

Despite being several inches shorter, I prefer KJ Hamler of Penn State to Ruggs.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

Round 1, Pick 2: Chase Young, EDGE, Ohio State

Chase Young is the best player in the class, and in my opinion, is the best player since Myles Garrett, who came out in the 2017 NFL Draft.

I listed EDGE as a Tier 2 need for the Redskins, but above all I else, I listed their top need as talent, and Young is the most talented player in the 2020 NFL Draft class. He is an elite athlete for the position, displayed a refined pass rush skill set, and was also the most productive pass rusher in college football this season. So not only does Young have the potential to be a perennial All-Pro, but he’s also proven himself with elite production in college. 

The Redskins have spent a fair amount of their draft capital on the defensive line over the past few seasons, spending two first-round picks and three second-round picks in the past three drafts. However, the San Francisco 49ers have been the best defense in the NFL this year, and that unit is lead by the top defensive line in the NFL, which happens to have four first-round picks on it.

The Redskins spent last year’s second-round pick and this year’s second-round pick to move up and select Mississippi State defensive end Sweat, a player many believed had the upside to be a top edge defender in the NFL. Also on the roster is franchise staple Ryan Kerrigan, but Kerrigan is coming off the least productive season of his career. Even with this talent and depth, Young is not the type of player you just pass up on. The Redskins could look to move back in the first round and add more draft capital, but if they stay at #2, expect them to take Young. This was the easiest selection of this Redskins 7-round mock draft.

Round 3, Pick 66: Cole Kmet, TE, Notre Dame

The Redskins’ biggest positional need is tight end. I was initially expecting to select Dayton’s Adam Trautman because I had assumed Kmet would not be available. However, Trautman ended up being the first tight end drafted, and it caused Kmet to be available. Both are likely the top two tight ends in the draft class, and the Redskins would be lucky to have either available when they’re selecting early in the third round....

Round 4, Pick 105: K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State

The Redskins already added one piece to the passing offense in Cole Kmet, so why not add another that has some familiarity with the current team? K.J. Hill was the teammate of Haskins and superstar receiver Terry McLaurin at Ohio State University. In fact, Haskins has already proclaimed his support for the Redskins to draft Hill. The Redskins should look to add a talented receiver on Day 3, just to add some more capable bodies at the receiver position. Hill’s skill set fits in well with what the Redskins are lacking in their receiving group.

Hill doesn’t possess an elite NFL ceiling. Of the three Redskins receivers that were rookies last year, I’d say he probably has a lower ceiling than all of them. He isn’t big and has just average athletic ability. However, similar to McLaurin, Hill is already a polished route runner. He creates separation consistently, and his hands are excellent. Hill is also strong after the catch and would work well as an underneath option while McLaurin pushes vertically and Kelvin Harmon works the intermediate zone. Hill would also allow Scott Turner to utilize Steven Sims Jr. in ways other than just out of the slot. Hill would be an excellent addition to the receiving corps, and adding talent around Haskins is the easiest way to help him be successful.

Round 4, Pick 141: Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State

With Trent Williams’ future with the Redskins in doubt, the Redskins should leave the 2020 NFL Draft with a tackle that has a chance at developing into a starter. They get that in SC State’s Alex Taylor.

Taylor was at last week’s Reese’s Senior Bowl and was maybe the most impressive physical specimen there. Taylor measured in at 6’8, 308 pounds, with a ridiculous 88-inch wingspan. His length is elite and could be a tool he uses to become one of the top tackles in the NFL. However, there are negatives with his frame. At 308, Taylor would be lean for someone who’s 6’4. Being 6’8, there are some real issues with his lower body. ...

Round 5, Pick 148: Antonio Gibson, RB/WR, Memphis

Antonio Gibson was listed as a WR at Memphis but practiced with the running backs at the Senior Bowl. So my guess is that NFL teams prefer him as a running back. Thus, I’m labeling him a “RB/WR”.

If you couldn’t tell from the last three picks, the Redskins need talent everywhere. I feel that running back is maybe the most volatile position on the roster. They could potentially have a guy in Derrius Guice who, if fully healthy, becomes one of the top 5-10 running backs in the NFL. However, he has not shown the ability to stay healthy thus far in his NFL career.

The Redskins have paired Guice with NFL legend Adrian Peterson, who has done an excellent job filling in as the team’s lead back when they need him, even though Peterson is 34, playing a position not known for longevity. They’ve leaned on Chris Thompson to be their go-to receiving threat out of the backfield, but he has struggled to stay healthy and his contract is up this offseason. With the firing of Jay Gruden, it’s hard to imagine a future with Thompson in a Redskins uniform. Fans hope that Bryce Love can be the heir apparent to Thompson, but Love caught less than 50 passes in his four-year career at Stanford, so I’m not sure we should expect him to be a direct replacement for Thompson.

Enter: Gibson. As I said early, Gibson is a bit of a hybrid. In his career at Memphis he had more receptions than he did rushes. Even though he was used as both a rusher and receiver, Gibson only touched the ball 77 total times in his career at Memphis. In those 77 touches, he was able to score 14 times. That’s a touchdown every 5.5 touches. Ridiculous production. Gibson could fill that hole that Chris Thompson is expected to leave behind, and if Derrius Guice continues to be unable to stay healthy, Gibson would fit perfectly in the Christian McCaffrey role for Scott Turner. He’s arguably my favorite fit in this Redskins 7-round mock draft.

5 hours ago, arftech said:

@Skinsinparadise, this isn't directed towards you but the answer is NO!

Sure, agree.  The reason why I posted that one wasn't thinking about us signing him but what it means to the Chargers as for angling for a QB.  Judging by buzz it seems like they are focused on Herbert falling to 36 but if so wonder if they feel desperate and trade up into the top 5. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

"I will tell you right now, I have somebody who is at the Senior Bowl who told me, flat out: the Washington Redskins could remake their franchise, this year, by dealing the second pick in the draft," King said Tuesday on the Redskins Talk podcast. 

The whole world believes Cincinnati will take LSU quarterback Joe Burrow with the first overall pick. That means Washington with the second pick has a ton of options. The team could select Ohio State defensive end Chase Young, a player many scouts think is the best player in the draft. There will also be a lot of interest in other young quarterbacks like Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa and Oregon QB Justin Herbert. 

"I think we all believe Joe Burrow goes No. 1 to the Bengals," King said. "Now, it isn't just Tua [Tagovailoa] who is there at No. 2. It's also some people that are going to say, ‘I love this Justin Herbert.' Imagine, you got Tua, Herbert, and Chase Young sitting there at No. 2. Just imagine how much leverage you might have."

The package of picks the Redskins could possibly get by trading down could be insane, a similar haul to what Washington gave up to move into the No. 2 overall spot to select Robert Griffin III in 2012. 

Washington has plenty of needs, it doesn't require a football expert to see that. The team is coming off a 3-13 season and has obvious holes on the offensive line and cornerback and a slew of other positions. Young is a beast, but if the Redskins can stack up a number of first-round picks, does Young outweigh adding two, or even three, impact players? 

Those will be the questions Ron Rivera and Kyle Smith have to answer during the next few months leading up to April's draft. It's a good problem to have. 

"I think Washington is in an incredibly good situation," King said. "Either they get a generational pass rusher, or they end up getting three ones out of it."

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/peter-king-redskins-could-remake-their-franchise-trading-no-2-pick

I am somewhat in between the two points of take Chase Young versus trade down.  My instinct isn't to find any excuse to trade down.  But if I get some wild drunken type offer from Miami, I'd do it.  At the very least, I'd solicit offers and try to get a bidding war going.  Tough for me to see though any deal worth doing that doesn't involve the Dolphins because for me staying in the top 5 is key.

And as if I recall @stevemcqueen1 said previously you might be able to trade down twice, with Herbert in the mix, too.  I love Chase Young and he's by far my favorite player in the draft but if we get a stupidly good deal for him, I'd likely do it.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-senior-bowl-thursday-20200123-y6odnyx77jenpfa56t6zip3g6a-story.html

The Dolphins have three months until the draft begins April 23 in Las Vegas to decide whether trading up from their current position is the best course of action to land a player they covet for their future.

Many around the NFL believe such action will be needed to land injured Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, who could be the first player drafted after LSU standout quarterback Joe Burrow and Ohio State star edge rusher Chase Young.

And the Dolphins surely are equipped to make a move, owning 14 picks in 2020, including three first-rounders and six total among the first 70 selections. Miami also has two picks in the first and second rounds of the 2021 draft that could also come into play.

“I think every team is monitoring what’s going on around the league,” Grier said Wednesday at the Senior Bowl about keeping tabs on other teams thinking about entering the Top 5.

“I think it works both ways because there’s a lot of misinformation going out," he said. "Teams are always trying to probe what you’re looking for. There’s a balance to it, but at the end of the day, no one is tipping their hands right now probably right until draft day. Teams are always talking. Agents talk to people and stuff, too, which unfortunately you don’t know who’s telling the truth at all times.”

The Dolphins sit behind the Cincinnati Bengals, Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions and New York Giants in the first round.

We interviewed Malik Harrison at the Senior Bowl. Any thoughts on him? I watched the highlight video below, and he looks like a slightly slow tone setter with very good instincts. Seems capable of sifting his way through trash at the second level and of stacking and shedding. Arrives with authority. He looks better than anything we currently have at ILB, IMHO. Factoring in health, that is. As much as people here don't trust Foster to get/stay healthy, I have the same reservations about SDH. Looking back to his college days, he's been a Jordan Reed/Chris Thompson. 

I need to watch some complete games to get a better feel for him. 

1. Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

In the seven days since last week’s mock draft, Burrow did not quit football to join the circus. He’ll remain the pick for the Bengals unless that happens.

2. Washington: Chase Young, DE, Ohio State

The reason for Young going second is similar to Burrow. But wouldn’t it be sort of fun to speculate Washington moving down to a team desperate for Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa? With the Dolphins and Chargers picking back-to-back inside the top 10, Washington could try to drum up trade interest. Still, passing on Young is hard to fathom.

3. Detroit Lions: Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

The Lions couldn’t go wrong picking Okudah, Auburn’s Derrick Brown, or Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons. Okudah is a lockdown cornerback who could accelerate Darius Slay’s departure from Detroit.

4. New York Giants: Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia

Go down the checklist for New York: The Giants have a young franchise quarterback in Daniel Jones. This is a very good draft for offensive tackles. The Giants have a bad offensive line. Giants general manager Dave Gettleman adores “hog mollies.” Sometimes you don’t have to complicate things in a mock draft.

5. Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

While he was at the Senior Bowl last week, Dolphins general manager Chris Grier stressed the importance of intangibles in a quarterback. If any quarterback in this draft defines that undefinable trait it is Tagovailoa. The best thing for the Alabama quarterback, and the Dolphins, is that he can sit behind Ryan Fitzpatrick for a season and get healthy.

6. Los Angeles Chargers: Justin Herbert, QB, Oregon

While rumors about Philip Rivers continue to persist, the Chargers should take Herbert even if the veteran returns to LA. With the right development, Herbert has all the makings of a franchise quarterback.

7. Carolina Panthers: Derrick Brown, DT, Auburn

Vernon Butler has been a disappointment, and the Panthers should let him walk in free agency. Gerald McCoy is a free agent as well. That could leave Carolina in the tough spot of needing yet another new running partner for Kawann Short inside. Brown could conceivably go as high as the third pick, so there’s some value at No. 7.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama

Somebody please block for Kyler Murray. He is one of this country’s national treasures. Imagine him making a jump in his development like Lamar Jackson did this season. Murray has the natural talent to do it, but he needs a lot of help around him.

9. Jacksonville Jaguars: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

One of these days the Jaguars will get their offensive line fully fixed, right? Wirfs is an athletic blocker with bad intentions on the field. In any other year when the draft is lighter at the position, he could be a top-five pick.

10. Cleveland Browns: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

After nearly a month, the Cleveland Browns finally have a new general manager: Andrew Berry. Now the question becomes whether or not he’ll hold at No. 10 or trade back. Regardless, the Browns need to come out of the first round with an offensive tackle. Becton is a hot name who could help bolster Cleveland’s rushing attack.

11. New York Jets: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma

The fit of Lamb in New York’s offense is a good one, especially if the Jets let Robby Anderson walk in free agency. Lamb averaged an unreal 21.4 yards per catch last season, and he would be a nice deep-ball threat for Sam Darnold.

12. Las Vegas Raiders: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

This is a “run to the podium” pick for the Raiders. If the Giants pass on Simmons at No. 4, there’s an outside chance he could slip this far. Anyone is an upgrade over Vontaze Burfict at this point for the Raiders, and Simmons is as good as advertised.

13. Indianapolis Colts: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

The most natural comparison for Jeudy is former Colts legend Marvin Harrison. Like Harrison, Jeudy isn’t a flashy, super speed receiver, nor is he a big-body jump-ball guy. He’s just smooth and smart with his routes and has exceptional hands.

I think with Young, its really about the amount of value you can get and if you trust your guys to make the right picks.  If you dont trust your guys, grab the elite pass rusher no matter what.  But if someone throws something crazy at you, take it.  Its undeniable how good Young will likely be, but its also true that hes only 1 player, and sometimes that one player ends up with career ending injuries, whereas with four 1st and 2nd round picks its much less likely to happen to all of them.  if your draft scouts are great, you can turn 2-3 of those into great players.  If not, or if the offer isnt crazy, stay put.

I'm starting to feel like I'd rather the giants take a WR than an elite OL. If they go OL, I hope it's Becton or Wills and not Andrew Thomas or Trustan Wirfs. 

Also, per that mock above, if Jeudy falls to 13, it's a crime and we ought to be making phone calls about Trent plus a pick. 

51 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

We interviewed Malik Harrison at the Senior Bowl. Any thoughts on him?

From me last week, if you're interested. Just keep in mind that my round projections aren't weighted in any way by need, just BPA.

He's got a nice wing-span, size is 6'-2" 246lbs, good speed (estimated 4.6-4.77 40), good first step, sure tackler, but mediocre flexibility and lateral quickness. His read and react isn't well developed in the games I saw. He comes across like he's guessing at times. He'll pick his spot and straight line to it, with narrowed awareness, so no adjustment when he's wrong. When he's right, he looks great and can tackle with force, but when he's wrong...

Coverage ability is average. He's fine with dropping back in simple zone coverage and wasn't asked to do much more than that too often, but will get burnt if he loses leverage and can't control space with physicality.

He's often the 2nd or 3rd guy in on a tackle and can't recover from poor angles when it's on him to be 1st man in. But, man that length is great, he's batted down a couple balls at the line a lot of guys would have no chance at and made use of that length wrangling down less explosive backs in the flat with nice grip strength.

Other places have a more positive report on him than my impressions, but I'm more negative on players that have awareness issues. 

Also, I couldn't find decent video of his Purdue game, which they say is his best tape or whatever. I just watched Michigan State, Indiana, Clemson, and then some highlights and senior bowl clips for the hell of it.

One thing I can say though, is he's doing well at the senior bowl and might be trending up and showing development in some of the issues I've dinged him on.

After watching his games I'm feeling like 4th or 5th Round, but I see other places having him go in the 3rd or even 2nd.

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

TDN turned me on to Josiah Deguara, TE from Cincinnati.  I haven’t watched Kmet or Trautman yet, but Deguara is my favorite so far.  

Riser: Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati

One of the biggest surprises in practice has been the show put on by Cincinnati’s Josiah Deguara. Measuring in at 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, I thought he set the tone in the first practice with his physicality and technique as a blocker. Of all the tight ends at this year's Senior Bowl, Deguara looks like the most comfortable in-line player. In the second practice, Deguara showcased his talent as a pass-catcher by running crisp, clean routes with impressive fluidity in and out of his breaks. He was then able to finish those plays by securing the ball with strong, natural hands outside of his frame. This 2020 tight end class is fairly weak at the top, but if you're looking for a mid-round player at the position to fall in love with, Deguara has the complete skill set.

This dude is a serious blocker.  Watching him vs UCLA, he stood up pretty much everyone he went against, including bigger linemen.  Blocked well in space.  Got open often and showed some YAC ability.  He chased down what would have been pick 6 - terrific hustle from him.  Great effort all the time, solid hands... I think he’ll transition really well to the pros, including ST.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

"I will tell you right now, I have somebody who is at the Senior Bowl who told me, flat out: the Washington Redskins could remake their franchise, this year, by dealing the second pick in the draft," King said Tuesday on the Redskins Talk podcast. 

The package of picks the Redskins could possibly get by trading down could be insane, a similar haul to what Washington gave up to move into the No. 2 overall spot to select Robert Griffin III in 2012. 

Excuse me, Mr king, were the Rams able to "remake their franchise" with their haul of picks they received from the Redskins?  No, not even close?  Ok then, we will take chase young, thanks for your concern, now get back to your biases and agendas.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Excuse me, Mr king, were the Rams able to "remake their franchise" with their haul of picks they received from the Redskins?  No, not even close?  Ok then, we will take chase young, thanks for your concern, now get back to your biases and agendas.

Our scouts are much better than Fisher's scouts.

Edited by FrFan
1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

TDN turned me on to Josiah Deguara, TE from Cincinnati.  I haven’t watched Kmet or Trautman yet, but Deguara is my favorite so far.  

Riser: Josiah Deguara, Cincinnati

One of the biggest surprises in practice has been the show put on by Cincinnati’s Josiah Deguara. Measuring in at 6-foot-3, 245 pounds, I thought he set the tone in the first practice with his physicality and technique as a blocker. Of all the tight ends at this year's Senior Bowl, Deguara looks like the most comfortable in-line player. In the second practice, Deguara showcased his talent as a pass-catcher by running crisp, clean routes with impressive fluidity in and out of his breaks. He was then able to finish those plays by securing the ball with strong, natural hands outside of his frame. This 2020 tight end class is fairly weak at the top, but if you're looking for a mid-round player at the position to fall in love with, Deguara has the complete skill set.

This dude is a serious blocker.  Watching him vs UCLA, he stood up pretty much everyone he went against, including bigger linemen.  Blocked well in space.  Got open often and showed some YAC ability.  He also chased down what would have been pick 6.  Great effort all the time, solid hands... I think he’ll transition really well to the pros, including ST.

Thought we had Sprinkle for that and were looking for pass catching abilities.

I like Harrison Bryant as much as anyone or at least I thought so until reading that below.  IMO he's not though the next Kittle and I think he's an average blocker as opposed to a good blocker as its said there.

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/cfb/player-news/headlines/9517811?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• An unnamed scout told ESPN writers at last week's Reese's Senior Bowl that FAU TE Harrison Bryant has the potential to be "George Kittle 2.0" at the next level.

Bryant (6'4/242) may not be a high-profile draft prospect in the eyes of those who focus on the players from power conference programs, but his name is well-known among NFL scouts. And one believes that he could potentially have an impact in the NFL similar to that of Kittle, the 49ers standout. "You can spread him out. He's good at route running, pass catching and blocking," the scout, who was also complimentary of Bryant's ability as a blocker, told ESPN writers. "Put him in the right situation and he can be explosive. He's really polished." Bryant caught 65 passes for 1,004 yards and seven touchdowns in 2019 for the Conference USA champion Owls. He's projected to be a Day 2 selection in this spring's draft.

SOURCE: ESPN.com
    Jan 28, 2020, 4:31 PM ET

•  

• Like 2

If Mims is that fast color me intrigued.   And some info below on Breeland who @stevemcqueen1 has referred to.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/latest-nfl-news-and-rumors-from-mobile-at-the-2020-senior-bowl/

Baylor WR Denzel Mims could run into Day 2 of the NFL Draft

Denzel Mims was one of three receivers I raved about all week on podcasts and on Twitter, and scouts agree that the Baylor wideout helped himself. Teams were impressed with the way he separated with his hands as well as the speed he showed during practice. 

If he runs well at the combine, Mims will jump into the second day of the draft and may slide into the top 60 picks. I’ve reported in the past that the Baylor senior is expected to time in the low 4.4s and could even break into the 4.3s during predraft workouts.

Florida WR Van Jefferson impressed scouts

The other wideout receiving rave reviews is Van Jefferson of Florida. Like Mims, scouts were impressed with the way Jefferson separated from opponents and caught the ball. They believe Jefferson could move into the second day of the draft if he runs fast prior to the event.

While I’ve had Jefferson graded as a draftable prospect going back to his Mississippi days, on film he comes across as a low 4.5/high 4.4-second athlete. This doesn’t mean he won’t produce at the next level; it just means he won’t be selected early in the draft.

Several players – big and small – make their presence known

Small-school blocker Ben Bartch of St John’s-Minnesota came away a big winner as well. Though there were a few bumps in the road during the week, Bartch held up well, showed good strength and blocked with proper fundamentals. Right now, several teams grade Bartch as a top-100 selection.

Kyle Dugger of Lenoir-Rhyne and Jeremy Chinn of Southern Illinois were two small-school safeties who left Mobile in better shape than when they arrived. There is some concern that Chinn won’t test that well at the Combine or pro-day workouts.

Teams gushed over Utah’s Bradlee Anae and were really impressed with his athleticism and pass-rushing skill. For what it’s worth, some scouts are worried about his arm length, which measured 31 7/8 inches.

Which draft prospects are on the outside looking in at the NFL Combine?

While the official list of NFL Combine invitations won’t be released for a few weeks, the talk during Shrine and Senior Bowl weeks focused on the seniors who are on the outside looking in and may not end up in Indianapolis.

Some of the bigger names include Aaron Parker of Rhode Island, Carlos Davis of Nebraska and Kelly Bryant of Missouri.

Unless things have changed from last week, quarterbacks Shea Patterson of Michigan and Malcolm Perry of Navy could also be on the outside looking in when the Combine begins. There is a chance that each receives an invitation by week’s end. 

Good news regarding Oregon TE Jake Breeland

Finally, there’s good news surrounding Jake Breeland, the tight end from Oregon. The senior, graded as a street free agent before the season began, was off to a great start until a knee injury cut his year short in mid-October.

While Breeland will not be able to work out prior to the draft, I’m told he suffered a clean tear and will be ready to go by summer camp. Likely to end up in the late rounds, Breeland could be one of the steals of the draft at tight end once he gets back to full health.

• Like 3

Round 4, Pick 141: Alex Taylor, OT, South Carolina State

Yep......wait until Pick 141 to fix one of our most glaring needs. This **** only flys if our O line includes Trent, Flowers, Sherff, Martin and a solid FA to replace Moses. Young can get two sacks a game......but that means nothing if Haskins is on his back 7 times a game and we can't run the ball. My armchair 2 cents.

32 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good news regarding Oregon TE Jake Breeland

Finally, there’s good news surrounding Jake Breeland, the tight end from Oregon. The senior, graded as a street free agent before the season began, was off to a great start until a knee injury cut his year short in mid-October. 

While Breeland will not be able to work out prior to the draft, I’m told he suffered a clean tear and will be ready to go by summer camp. Likely to end up in the late rounds, Breeland could be one of the steals of the draft at tight end once he gets back to full health. 

I really really like this player.  The injury was kind of a freak thing.  He was heading to the sideline on a long grab but he squared up with the DB to lower a shoulder on him and the DB got a good shove on him instead and he ended up going backwards before twisting down out of bounds.  It wasn't a hard contact, looked like his foot got stuck in the turf because he was planted when he took the shove and his upperbody went backward while he was still leaning forward.  It looked like a hamstring injury more than anything else, and it didn't seem like it would be severe.

He's a cerebral player who wins on toughness and willingness to do the dirty work.  He lines up everywhere.  In-line.  H-Back.  Y.  Wide-out.  He is a fantastic seam runner with a heady approach to dissecting coverage and breaking off his stems to create big throwing windows.  Efficient beating press off the line by just using brute strength--most DBs are just going to want to play off of him and trust their footwork rather than trying to get physical with him.

He was Herbert's favorite target and that passing game got much less dangerous after he went down.

And he is a good blocker.  There is some viciousness in his stalk and screen blocking and he's a respectable in-line blocker.  He does a good job in the outside zone game.  He was a real part of that overwhelming Oregon offensive front, and Throckmorton and Sewell benefited from his presence in the first half of the year.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

Thank you, finally someone else says it.

People overrate the hell out of trading down. You take the sure fire blue chipper always.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, nonniey said:

Thought we had Sprinkle for that and were looking for pass catching abilities.

Personally, I like Hentges better as our inline blocker, but I actually see Deguara as closer to that all-around TE I’ve been wanting.  He has plus receiving skills, just not as good as Hopkins/Harrison.  Odds are he’s not the next Witten or whoever, but I really like his skill set.  His height is a concern at 6’2, so I think he’ll be a bit overlooked/undervalued.  

“There’s certain guys who really understand route running and really understand defensive coverage,” offensive coordinator Mike Denbrock said. “Teams try to cover (Deguara) with different guys in different situations, and he has a knack for understanding how to beat any situation he’s put into.”

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am somewhat in between the two points of take Chase Young versus trade down.  My instinct isn't to find any excuse to trade down.  But if I get some wild drunken type offer from Miami, I'd do it.  At the very least, I'd solicit offers and try to get a bidding war going.  Tough for me to see though any deal worth doing that doesn't involve the Dolphins because for me staying in the top 5 is key.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-senior-bowl-thursday-20200123-y6odnyx77jenpfa56t6zip3g6a-story.html

The Dolphins sit behind the Cincinnati Bengals, Washington Redskins, Detroit Lions and New York Giants in the first round.

And the problem here is the Bengals take Burrow. Miami takes Tua, and then IF the Lions do not take Young, then we have the Giants who take him, and are stuck with a potential LT situation, certainly in that vicinity for years to come.  No thank you.  I think we have to take Young.  And then be patient.