Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

22 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Is it bad that a small part of me is hoping we finish in the top 3 next year to draft Penei Sewell after trading away Trent this year?  Sewell will be a special, special prospect.  Probably the OT equivalent of Chase Young this year.

To answer your question, I don't know if it's bad but it certainly isn't normal....Why do you pull for us to win the Super Bowl this year and then find a way to trade up and get your man Sewell? We've been losing long enough.

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

To answer your question, I don't know if it's bad but it certainly isn't normal....Why do you pull for us to win the Super Bowl this year and then find a way to trade up and get your man Sewell? We've been losing long enough.

I said a small part of me wants that, and I should have made it clearer that I only want that if it becomes obvious mid-season that it will be another losing season for us. I’d rather draft top 3 than the teens. 

But I’d much rather see us get into the playoffs next year, obviously. I’m not even going to entertain talk of a Super Bowl lol. 

Talk of the Lions drafting Tua at #3 is getting louder....now Mel Kiper is saying that "if Tua is healthy, the Lions may very well select him at #3". 

These kinds of rumors make the Skins pick even more desirable if others want Tua (Miami?)

Hold on to your helmets.....

The more I watch these prospects, the more I’m torn between the idea of drafting Young or trading back.  Part of my calculus is the idea that we can trade down further with the added picks and potentially add future picks as well.  
The biggest wrench in this plan is that it puts Chase Young that much closer to possibly ending up with the Giants... and that’s a horrible outcome for us.  

15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

The more I watch these prospects, the more I’m torn between the idea of drafting Young or trading back.  Part of my calculus is the idea that we can trade down further with the added picks and potentially add future picks as well.  
The biggest wrench in this plan is that it puts Chase Young that much closer to possibly ending up with the Giants... and that’s a horrible outcome for us.  

this is where exactly where I’m at. I really hope we go all in at the start of free agency. After that, yeah it’s a really tough call. 

feels like the whole things could be wild. should be a great few months to track. 

12 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I've been pro-trade down but the QB class is regarded as deeper than I expected.  I thought that it looked like this:

Burrow & Tua

Herbert

Next tier.

But it seems like teams regard that third tier of players much higher than I expected.  That cuts the legs out from under our ability to trade down.  I thought we'd be able to get a lot of picks back from a Tua trade down to ~5 and then a Herbert trade down from there to ~12-15.  I'm starting to doubt that will be the case, as I think teams who would have been in the market for those two will settle for Love or Eason or maybe even Fromm.  And the unusually high availability of veterans like Stafford, Newton, and even Brady/Rivers takes the wind out of our sails too.

At the end of the day, I don't think we can get worthy value from a trade down.  It is what it is, but the consolation is probably going to be Chase Young, which is pretty freaking great.  The most likely outcome for us is that this won't be a huge draft class, but that we'll hopefully get some real quality with our selections given how high in the rounds we pick.  If we're going to add draft picks, I think it has to come from Trent and Kerrigan trades and perhaps a trade down from 66.

35 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Talk of the Lions drafting Tua at #3 is getting louder....now Mel Kiper is saying that "if Tua is healthy, the Lions may very well select him at #3". 

These kinds of rumors make the Skins pick even more desirable if others want Tua (Miami?)

I don't buy this at all, wouldn't make any sense Stafford has at least 5 good years left, at the least

1 minute ago, Skins199021 said:

I don't buy this at all, wouldn't make any sense Stafford has at least 5 good years left, at the least

The reports are that the Lions don't trust Stafford staying healthy and that whether they keep or dump Stafford, Tua is a real possibility for them at 3. 

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I've been pro-trade down but the QB class is regarded as deeper than I expected.  I thought that it looked like this:

Burrow & Tua

At the end of the day, I don't think we can get worthy value from a trade down.  It is what it is, but the consolation is probably going to be Chase Young, which is pretty freaking great.  The most likely outcome for us is that this won't be a huge draft class, but that we'll hopefully get some real quality with our selections given how high in the rounds we pick.  If we're going to add draft picks, I think it has to come from Trent and Kerrigan trades and perhaps a trade down from 66.

Say Miami Trades, 5, 18, 39 and a 2021 2nd or 3rd. Say the Giants take Simmons at 4. Who would you take in that scenario?

5. Jeudy WR

18. Diggs CB

39. Isaiah Wilson OT

Perhaps something like that? Jeudy/McLaurin would be great to watch and Haskins would have no excuses. Also an OT to make moses expendable. Diggs give the secondary a young shot in the arm

Just now, Skins199021 said:

Say Miami Trades, 5, 18, 39 and a 2021 2nd or 3rd. Say the Giants take Simmons at 4. Who would you take in that scenario?

5. Jeudy WR

18. Diggs CB

39. Isaiah Wilson OT

Perhaps something like that? Jeudy/McLaurin would be great to watch and Haskins would have no excuses. Also an OT to make moses expendable. Diggs give the secondary a young shot in the arm

I would go Okudah, Delpit and Espenesa, the pass rusher from Iowa.

In free agency I'd look for a WR to compliment T-Mac and Sims....With the rest of our draft I'd go TE and offensive line.... 

1) Cincinnati Bengals: Joe Burrow, QB LSU

The Bengals waste no time securing Andy Dalton’s successor with the first pick. Burrow showed remarkable poise, pocket presence, and leadership in the National Championship against Clemson, showcasing proper decision-making, elite pocket awareness, and stellar improvisational skills. Burrow was consistent all season long, didn’t flinch when faced with adversity, and delivered on the biggest stage in college football. The Bengals certainly need to address the porous offensive line via free agency or in the draft, but it’s a no-brainer pick at 1.1 for head coach Zac Taylor to develop the best quarterback in the draft.

2) Washington Redskins: Chase Young, DE Ohio State

Washington already has enough young cornerstones in place to contend for the best defensive line in football next season. Adding Young to a unit that already includes Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Da’Ron Payne, and Montez Sweat would make them downright dominant. Bolstering an already formidable stable of pass rushers will also help to eliminate some of the big plays that plagued the Washington secondary. 

3) Detroit Lions: Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State

The Lions need to improve on the back end. With top cornerback Darius Slay’s name being mentioned in trade rumors around the late October trade deadline, his return is far from a guarantee. Lapses in coverage were a big factor in the 2019 Lions squandering several close games. The downfield vulnerability is especially concerning, considering the Lions face the likes of Davante Adams, Adam Thielen, Stefon Diggs, and Allen Robinson twice a year. Okudah (6’1″, 200) gives them phenomenal length on the perimeter, and his physicality and elite ball skills should eliminate many of the big plays downfield. He has perennial All-Pro potential.

4) New York Giants: Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia

Selecting Thomas, arguably one of the safest prospects in the draft would seem like a no-brainer here for the Giants. The G-men have struggled mightily to field a competent offensive line in recent years. Thomas gives the Giants what they thought they were getting in free agency with Nate Solder in 2018, and will be an instant plug-and-play as a rookie. 

5) Miami Dolphins: Tua Tagovailoa, QB Alabama

Due to his gruesome season-ending hip injury sustained in November, I assumed that Tagovailoa would return to Alabama next season. Of course, Tua decided to enter the NFL Draft, and sentiment around his rehab and recovery process is good. Tagovailoa is dynamic talent and a proven winner that will almost assuredly be taken no later than pick No. 5 and could go as high as No. 2 overall in a trade-up. Tua will come to the Dolphins with the expectation of taking Miami to new heights. His mobility, improvisational skills, and deep-ball accuracy should enable him to do just that.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-nfl-mock-draft-2-0-will-there-be-a-shakeup-in-the-top-15/

17 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

The reports are that the Lions don't trust Stafford staying healthy and that whether they keep or dump Stafford, Tua is a real possibility for them at 3. 

If this is true, I still believe the Redskins can finagle Detroit's #3 pick in the second round out of them.  The threat of a trade with Miami for the #2 pick could be the necessary incentive for that trade.

Again, this can only happen if Detroit wants to ensure that they come away with Tua.  The Redskins do have a very good and young defensive line right now.  Why couldn't they convince Detroit they are open for business with anyone who is willing to bring the right trade offer?

OTOH, forget everything I just said if Detroit is truly not interested in Tua.

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

In free agency I'd look for a WR to compliment T-Mac and Sims....With the rest of our draft I'd go TE and offensive line.... 

ahh yeah Okudah, that would probably be the pick, very good combo here as well. 

If this was the outcome I am going big on O-line, ILB, and TE in FA

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

And this talk is coming from where? Sports journalists who need people to read them.

I see people wanting 18 and mid round picks in addition to 5th from Miami no way would I consider  trading Chase for that. Disscussion need to start with the 5th pick in this draft and their 1st next year.I want Miami's 1st next year I believe it will be a top five pick.

2 hours ago, Ghedrick said:

I see people wanting 18 and mid round picks in addition to 5th from Miami no way would I consider  trading Chase for that. Disscussion need to start with the 5th pick in this draft and their 1st next year.I want Miami's 1st next year I believe it will be a top five pick.

Two firsts this year and a first next. 

4 hours ago, Ghedrick said:

Okudah and Delprit and a 2nd is >> than Chase Young on paper. Unless you operate under the false assumption that Young can't bust but the others will.

5, 18, and 39 and a 2021 2nd does it for me

Titans Traded number 1 overall for 8, 43, 45, and 76 in the same draft, and then a 1st and a 3rd in the following draft.  This turned into Conklin, Corey Davis, Derrick Henry, and Jonnu Smith

Two points here. I rather have 18, and 39 this year. Then the two later 2nds, a 3rd and first the following year. 2nd point is look who that turned into, I wouldn't trade all of that for just Chase Young or any player really. People need to stop valuing one player over multiple possible good players.

Myles Garrett was just as good of a prospect as Young... he didn't just change the Browns into a winner. We were a bad team with multiple needs and DE is really one of them. I won't be mad if we take Young, but trading down as to be considered for a good offerr\.

5 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Yeah, Okudah is where I’d go as well in that scenario.  Badly need to upgrade our coverage.  I’d also look to trade back with 18/etc, depending on who is available.   Personally, the draft is where I’m looking for a receiver, especially if we add picks.  I would be absolutely thrilled to add Tee Higgins... but there are plenty of others.  

5 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

ahh yeah Okudah, that would probably be the pick, very good combo here as well. 

If this was the outcome I am going big on O-line, ILB, and TE in FA

We won’t know how the draft will play  out though, so I expect we’ll address the secondary in FA anyway which is fine by me (if we ‘double up’ with Okudah).  

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Okudah and Delprit and a 2nd is >> than Chase Young on paper. Unless you operate under the false assumption that Young can't bust but the others will.

5, 18, and 39 and a 2021 2nd does it for me

Titans Traded number 1 overall for 8, 43, 45, and 76 in the same draft, and then a 1st and a 3rd in the following draft.  This turned into Conklin, Corey Davis, Derrick Henry, and Jonnu Smith

Two points here. I rather have 18, and 39 this year. Then the two later 2nds, a 3rd and first the following year. 2nd point is look who that turned into, I wouldn't trade all of that for just Chase Young or any player really. People need to stop valuing one player over multiple possible good players.

Myles Garrett was just as good of a prospect as Young... he didn't just change the Browns into a winner. We were a bad team with multiple needs and DE is really one of them. I won't be mad if we take Young, but trading down as to be considered for a good offerr\.

I disagree Miami's pick next year is going to be high.I see alot more value in having their pick next year instead of 18 this year.Miami is more than likely picking in the top 5 next year.This also gives us a year to determine if Haskins is the guy.If not we are armed with assets to go after Trevor Lawrence. 

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I can't believe Detroit would tip their hand for Tua so early unless they would actually LOVE for the Redskins to trade with Miami - opening the door for Detroit to get Chase Young.

That would be a smart play for them.  

:229:The Rook

37 minutes ago, Ghedrick said:

I disagree Miami's pick next year is going to be high.I see alot more value in having their pick next year instead of 18 this year.Miami is more than likely picking in the top 5 next year.This also gives us a year to determine if Haskins is the guy.If not we are armed with assets to go after Trevor Lawrence. 

Not a bad thought, assuming Miami is as bad as you think they'll be. That would be a patient, shrewd move. I like it.

3 hours ago, Skins199021 said:

Myles Garrett was just as good of a prospect as Young... he didn't just change the Browns into a winner. We were a bad team with multiple needs and DE is really one of them. I won't be mad if we take Young, but trading down as to be considered for a good offer.

Except for it literally isn’t true that Garett was as good a prospect. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/myles-garrett-1.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/chase-young-1.html

In his last year of college, Garrett posted 8.5 sacks. In his best year, he posted 11.5 sacks. Chase Young posted 16.5 sacks in one less game with more TFL.

Nobody was talking about Garrett as a hesitant candidate. And Chase Young grades out better than Myles Garrett not just amongst media talking heads and by stats, but also by PFF, who had Young as their top rated defensive player ever. 

It's really too early to know where Tua will be health wise. But if Tua becomes a legit threat at #3 with the Lions, the best case scenario for the Redskins might be to trade down with Detroit. See want you can get for Detroit to guarantee to get their guy. The Redskins did this back in 2016 with Houston (Redskins dropped from 22 to 23 and picked up a 6th rounder for their troubles)

Archived