Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

10 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think our best case scenario is to get #2, Cincy takes Young first overall, and we can use Burrow to get a major haul of picks.

Doubt Cincy takes Young over Burrow but I agree if that happens that's fine, too.  

10 minutes ago, arftech said:

He is so special that he'll improve the offense!  

I think he would.    We'd be able to finally stop teams on third down and hence put the offense back on the field.  I like Kerrigan but on third and long he doesn't freak out any QB.  If Chase plays in the pros like college I think he'd help put an end to their atrocious stats on third down among other things. 

Here's Finlay kicking in on the same point.  Miami or some team might give up a fortune for Burrow if that happens.  Win win either way.  They just can't screw this up by beating Dallas or ending up with #2 and taking Andrew Thomas anyway.   

Man I hope we get to draft Chase Young, my heart was pounding at the end of the game today rooting for the Redskins to lose lol. Sad I know. But dang it would be disgusting to see the Giants get to draft Young after they got to draft Barkley. I really want to see the Redskins get a hall of fame caliber super star player on their roster, have we ever even had a real top level GREAT player? Darrell Green and Sammy Baugh were excellent but we need a Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, Reggie White type of star and Young is freakish and talented enough to possibly be that guy. He could also hopefully potentially be the Skins first defensive player of the year winner. Please football God's let us draft Chase Young.

25 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Is it possible Cincy takes Young?

If so we need to be prepared to wheel and deal even if it means drafting Joe and holding him hostage until someone gives us draft picks.

We will have those trades worked out before the draft. If Young goes one we will get a haul for Burrow.

By the way I am sure most you know that Young went to high school at Hyattsville. How cool would it be to bring Haskins and Young home in back to back drafts? All we need now is to sign Diggs in free agency :)

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

We will have those trades worked out before the draft. If Young goes one we will get a haul for Burrow.

My sneaky point is we need our FO situation worked out quickly so we can have plans A - Z in place before the draft, we can't be scared to draft Joe and we need to know who wants him and what they are willing to give up if we do.

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think our best case scenario is to get #2, Cincy takes Young first overall, and we can use Burrow to get a major haul of picks.

I’d be tempted to take Burrow. But if someone like Miami offered multiple 1s to move down a couple spots I’d be fine with that too. Those future 1s will likely be top 5-10. 

16 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

By the way I am sure most you know that Young went to high school at Hyattsville. How cool would it be to bring Haskins and Young home in back to back drafts? All we need now is to sign Diggs in free agency :)

indeed I like bringing the locals home.   In 2016 we took Kendall Fuller in the third round, in 2015 Arie Kouandjio in the 4th round, and in 2014 Morgan Moses in the 3rd round (Moses is exactly a local from the DC area, but he is from Richmond which is solidly Redskin territory)..   

14 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’d be tempted to take Burrow. But if someone like Miami offered multiple 1s to move down a couple spots I’d be fine with that too. Those future 1s will likely be top 5-10. 

I am not.  Burrow is a good QB, but Haskins beat him out at Ohio St. despite Burrow getting to Ohio St a year earlier (Burrow is a 5th year senior whereas if Haskins was still in college he would be in his 4th year).  Burrows is a good QB, but I feel like he is the same tier as Haskins.  He has more polish coming out of college as he is more seasoned and played more, but I am not convinced he will be better (not saying Haskins will be better either, only that its an open question).

Assuming this team gets Chase Young and reverts to a 4-3, let's talk about veterans this team can get picks back for due to not being a fit any longer (here are my guesses at comp):

Trent Williams - 2nd (fortunately for this team, this draft stinks for LTs and the best LT free agents may be Anthony Castonzo, who is old and will likely resign with the Colts, and DJ Humphries, who is a bottom third starter at the position)

Jonathan Allen - 3rd (unfortunately, would no longer be a fit in a 4-3 because Payne and Io are better players. Would not want to exercise the 5th year option either and you'll have to eventually choose between Allen and Payne on who to pay anyway. Probably won't get a 2nd because he is coming off a down year)

Ryan Kerrigan - 5th (entering last year of deal so not a ton of value. Could also keep him and use him as a backup but I'd rather free up playing time for guys like Orchard, Odom, Brailford and other guys)

Keep AP (he is the only guy in the running back rotation you can count on to play and he is a great locker room leader). Moses may have some value as a league average RT on an ok deal but you'd need to draft a guy with the TW pick and see how he does in training camp before moving Moses

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

In that case we need to hope the lions or whomever is at 3 needs a qb. 

It would create quite a bidding war between a qb needy team at 3 and the Miami dolphins.

it would also gives us the option to move down 1 spot and still get our guy or trade down further if we think there are several blue chips on the board.

the one wild card here is tua. I just don’t know where he’ll go and it wouldn’t shock me if he is taken 1 overall even with the injury.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

I'll bet Haskin's has been private messaging Chase about not going back to school and joining him and Terry in DC.  LOL

If he is stupid enough to go back to school then I don’t want him on my team.

9 minutes ago, method man said:

Assuming this team gets Chase Young and reverts to a 4-3, let's talk about veterans this team can get picks back for due to not being a fit any longer (here are my guesses at comp):

Trent Williams - 2nd (fortunately for this team, this draft stinks for LTs and the best LT free agents may be Anthony Castonzo, who is old and will likely resign with the Colts, and DJ Humphries, who is a bottom third starter at the position)

Jonathan Allen - 3rd (unfortunately, would no longer be a fit in a 4-3 because Payne and Io are better players. Would not want to exercise the 5th year option either and you'll have to eventually choose between Allen and Payne on who to pay anyway. Probably won't get a 2nd because he is coming off a down year)

Ryan Kerrigan - 5th (entering last year of deal so not a ton of value. Could also keep him and use him as a backup but I'd rather free up playing time for guys like Orchard, Odom, Brailford and other guys)

Keep AP (he is the only guy in the running back rotation you can count on to play and he is a great locker room leader). Moses may have some value as a league average RT on an ok deal but you'd need to draft a guy with the TW pick and see how he does in training camp before moving Moses

If you go to a 4-3 you move Allen to LDE. Allen and Young at DE. Payne and IO at DT. Nice front 4. Plus you have Settle and Sweat to fill in all along the line.

I was all in on trading Trent. But like you mentioned what will be on the market and in the draft is pretty paltry. I am wondering if we can give him a raise and keep him here depending on what happens with Bruce?

Kerrigan would be expendable in a 4-3 for sure. 

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

If you go to a 4-3 you move Allen to LDE. Allen and Young at DE. Payne and IO at DT. Nice front 4. Plus you have Settle and Sweat to fill in all along the line.

I was all in on trading Trent. But like you mentioned what will be on the market and in the draft is pretty paltry. I am wondering if we can give him a raise and keep him here depending on what happens with Bruce?

Kerrigan would be expendable in a 4-3 for sure. 

Sweat as a 4-3 DE >> Allen as a 4-3 DE. If you keep Allen, he just becomes a highly paid rotational piece at that point.

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

If Haskins continues to play well, I would fully expect a team to trade up to #1 for Young. 

Teams don't really trade up in the draft like that unless its for a QB. The Bengals aren't going to give up the #1 pick and a shot at a franchise QB for a minimum three 1sts.

The Huddle Report released their first value board of the year. I love these guys/gals work. Interesting thing is 3 QB's in the top 10. That might actually hurt trading options in the top ten. Teams might feel like they can wait a little bit to pick their guy. And I disagree with Thomas in the top 10. I would also have Okudah down the list a little bit as well.

1) Chase Young

2) Joe Burrow

3) Jeffrey Okudah

4) Jerry Jeudy

5) Isaiah Simmons

6) CeeDee Lamb

7) Derrick Brown

8 Tua

9) Justin Hebert

10) Andrew Thomas

The rest here:

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/valueboard.shtml

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I recall they were ranked 28th against the run before today -- after today maybe 30th?  With a stout D line.  Supposedly a good strong safety.  Holcomb seems like a decent run stopper.  Why are they so bad against the run?  In the off season, I'll rewatch some games to try to figure it out. 

Has to be the scheme. Most of the guys in the front 7 have a reputation of being good run stoppers and were so last year until defenses keyed in on how slow Mason Foster was

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

If I recall they were ranked 28th against the run before today -- after today maybe 30th?  With a stout D line.  Supposedly a good strong safety.  Holcomb seems like a decent run stopper.  Why are they so bad against the run?  In the off season, I'll rewatch some games to try to figure it out. 

Coaching. Players are not where the should be. Some of that is on the players themselves. But when you have 2 guys crashing one gap you have problems. There was a lot of that this year. I am just thankful that we only have to watch a Manusky defense for one more game.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Schematic conundrum.  We have zone coverage set up with gap assignments.  3 talented interior lineman who are tasked with occupying blockers to set up ILB to fill gap holes.  The talent is there but were asking sweat to play pass coverage.  Ive lost count of how many times payne and allen are chasing down ball carriers and hitting them from behind because theyre schemed to occupy a guy, yet the guy behind them isnt filling the hole.  

If our guys could run blitz and come down hill, our D line could do something. 

LMAO!!!

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=838

Chase Young ER/DE/LB Ohio State

by Drew Boylhart • December 7, 2019

STRENGTHS
Chase is an impact defensive player who can change the outcome of a game with a strip-sack, an interception on a swing pass, a tackle for a loss on a third down play or just a scowl from the bench to an opposing quarterback. He is the triggerman for a dominating college defense. He has the size, athletic talent, and high football IQ to play more than one position in your defensive front and in multiple defensive systems but attacking the line of scrimmage is where he can truly show his dominating skills. Chase has Kahlil Mack type pass-rushing talent and Lawrence Taylor type dominating linebacker talent. He has quick feet, strong hands and the flexibility to turn the corner on sacks with the body strength and leverage that is more than any offensive tackle can handle one on one. Chase is a Franchise Defensive player. You select him and build your defensive around him and never look back. He will be your team’s triggerman to your new dominating defense for sure.

CONCERNS
The biggest concern you will have is how to replace his talent and impact on your defense if and when he gets injured. Of course, that’s no reason not to draft him.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1.34
If your team needs a franchise quarterback and instead selects Chase I would have to say don’t worry about it because you don’t need a franchise quarterback if this kid is on your defense. All you need is a solid quarterback and some good play calling to score points and let Chase (the triggerman) do the rest. Chase is not just a pass rusher; he plays the run with the strength and leverage of any good defensive lineman. His pass-rushing skills are what we see but his overall game and his ability to work with his teammates in the front seven are what impresses me. He does not run around just making flashy plays he works within the context of the defensive game plan and picks his spots to impact very much like former Buffalo Bills great Bruce Smith. I expect Chase will impact his team’s defense at the next level the same way Bruce Smith impacted his team’s defense. It’s very rare that in a draft I would select a potential defensive lineman over a potential franchise quarterback if I had the need at both positions but there are exceptions to every rule and there are potential franchise quarterbacks in just about every draft but Chase is that rare exception to my rule of never passing on a franchise quarterback if you need one. Unless Chase has some off-field issues that would make me downgrade him over a quarterback I would say the rule be dammed. Select Chase and don’t look back. Isn’t it obvious!

Archived