Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 hours ago, cakmoney61 said:

Harris being good was never my question.  My question is how good.  Based upon some of the mock drafts I've seen he is not viewed as a first-round talent.  I was simply speculating on why that might be.

That's fair.  My take is that he's flying under the radar right now.  Amazing given the school he plays for and his recruiting status, but I think he might climb.  Perhaps not the first round, but the second is certainly feasible.  There are too many fringe first round backs in this class and given the low draft value of the RB position, I have a hard time seeing more than three RBs get picked in the first.  Thus you've got Swift and Etienne ahead of him, and probably Jonathan Taylor as well.  Maybe Dobbins and maybe Moss, although I personally wouldn't take either of them ahead of Harris.

The other reason I think he's flying under the radar is light usage at Alabama.  He had to split carries three ways last year with Damien Harris and Jacobs, plus Alabama has been running a pass-heavy system with Tua at QB.  This year he got a lot more work than in 2018, but he was still overshadowed by the players in the passing game.  I could see him climbing as the teams catch up on him in a similar way to how Josh Jacobs climbed last draft season.

If he were to go back to school and stay healthy, I could see him being a first round pick as a senior.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am almost for sure going to the Alabama-Michigan game so I'll zero in on Najee more.  I admit my eyes tend to be glued of late either to their Wrs or O line. I've noticed Najee but I've never really glued into to him.  And I agree I like the idea of a RB if a good one falls.  I was thinking Hubbard (who I like a lot) was going in the 3rd-4th round range but reading recent mocks, seems like some think he's a late first to mid 2nd round type.  Will see.

I haven't taken Hubbard seriously as a prospect this year because I've assumed he is going back to school.  But if he does declare for the draft, I think he'd be making a mistake.  I don't think he has a realistic chance at the first round, and I'm of the same mind as you that he'd be a 3rd-4th round pick.  I think he needs to go back to school, try and win the Heisman, and make a case for himself on career body of work like Jonathan Taylor has, because nothing about him really jumps out as special and he's not going to get the chance to keep being a high volume grinder in a modern NFL offense.

That said, Rashad Penny was a first rounder.  That was a horrible pick, but teams are dumb and several commit terrible first round reaches every year so it wouldn't exactly shock me if Hubbard declares and gets picked at the end of the first.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

It will be interesting how the 2020 compares in a few years.

You're right, this was a banner year for DC recruits.  You could stack that list up against South Florida, Southern California, Georgia, or South Texas and hold your head up high.  If you expand the area to all of Maryland and Virginia, you end up with 26 four and five star recruits.  That level of depth can compete with any high school football region in the country of a similar geographic size.  It's hard to imagine 2020 being better than 2016 in terms of the top end quality of the class, but it has the depth to do it.

i actually thought Jacobs was a reach last year because like another poster who posted earlier I tend to discount the RB's at the top school a little bit because I feel like they benefit from good O-Line and QB's who can keep teams from loading the box.  That said, i think I might be overly biased based on the results (a lot of them end up being pretty good).  I knew Jacobs was good, but I thought he could potentially bust, because a good RB at Alabama can look really good.  It turns out he is really good.  That is where you need a more refined eye than what I have.

5 hours ago, Panninho said:

I absolutely agree that RB is a need. However, I feel like we don't have to close every roster hole in one off-season. If there is a good RB that falls to us in one of the middle rounds you take him, but I wouldn't go into the draft actively looking for a RB. We probably won't be a contender next year so you can absolutely take some chances and I think you can still roll a year with Peterson, Guice and Love and see what Guice and Love are made off. 

But I would absolutely love to add one of the WRs of this year's class. McLaurin is an absolute stud and I also like the potential of Harmon and Sims but I am not sure that the latter are 2 legit starters right now. If you can add a premier talent to that group I'd take it immediately. 

Otherwise I agree that CB is a huge need as is TE once we have (hopefully) moved on from Reed and Davis.

I wouldn't draft anyone on a reach and I definitely want a WR out of this class. Everywhere could use improvement. I disagree on the not contenders part, because you just honestly don't know. Teams rise and fall all of the time.

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

i actually thought Jacobs was a reach last year because like another poster who posted earlier I tend to discount the RB's at the top school a little bit because I feel like they benefit from good O-Line and QB's who can keep teams from loading the box.  That said, i think I might be overly biased based on the results (a lot of them end up being pretty good).  I knew Jacobs was good, but I thought he could potentially bust, because a good RB at Alabama can look really good.  It turns out he is really good.  That is where you need a more refined eye than what I have.

You can't punish a guy for a school he goes to.  It's a bias that negatively effects the accuracy of the evaluation.  There is an opposite effect too in that small school players are punished for not being on TV as much as the big school players.  Ultimately every player needs to be evaluated as an individual.

Some schools carry baggage from past NFL disappointments that's unfair to their current players.  One really pronounced one was Wisconsin running backs.  It wasn't until Melvin Gordon came along that people started taking them seriously.  I don't think Jonathan Taylor would have a chance at getting picked in the first round if not for Gordon, that's how strong the bias was.

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You're right, this was a banner year for DC recruits.  You could stack that list up against South Florida, Southern California, Georgia, or South Texas and hold your head up high.  If you expand the area to all of Maryland and Virginia, you end up with 26 four and five star recruits.  That level of depth can compete with any high school football region in the country of a similar geographic size.  It's hard to imagine 2020 being better than 2016 in terms of the top end quality of the class, but it has the depth to do it.

Recruiting in this area has changed a lot in the past 10 to 15 years.   Maryland is a bit unusual in that 80% of the top talent plays for private schools so there is not a lot of good players at the public schools (though the number 1 player in the country this year is at a Maryland public school go figure).  New Jersey is another area where there is a similar dynamic, but that is not true in states like Florida, Texas, Georgia, and California where the public schools have their fair share of the top talent.   On the other hand it makes this area easier to follow in terms of recruiting.   You can follow 60% of the top 25 talent in this area most years by following a handful of teams (St. Frances, Dematha, Good Counsel, St. John's, Gilman recently--the teams rise and fall a bit).

The year to year varies.  2016 was both very good at teh top and fairly deep.  By contrast the 2017 class has Chase Young and then really no other standout college football players.   There are a number of guys in that 2017 class who are solid and have a shot with a good season next to year to get drafted in teh 5th, 6th, or 7 rounds, but not a lot of top end talent.  To the extent any of the 2017 locals other than Chase Young have a shot to go 1st or 2nd round it would be Joshua Kaindoh who appears in the Florida rankings not the Maryland rankigns because he played his junior and senior seasons at  a football academy boarding school down in Florida (IMG), but is a Baltimore kid (for whats its worth St. Frances recruits Virginia, Delaware, Maryland, and DC pretty hard so even though all its prospect appear as Maryland prospects, some of them are not from Maryland).

6 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

You can't punish a guy for a school he goes to.  It's a bias that negatively effects the accuracy of the evaluation.  There is an opposite effect too in that small school players are punished for not being on TV as much as the big school players.  Ultimately every player needs to be evaluated as an individual.

Some schools carry baggage from past NFL disappointments that's unfair to their current players.  One really pronounced one was Wisconsin running backs.  It wasn't until Melvin Gordon came along that people started taking them seriously.  I don't think Jonathan Taylor would have a chance at getting picked in the first round if not for Gordon, that's how strong the bias was.

Maryland is not even a small school and I feel that at least initially all the mock drafts undervalue our guys.  As the draft nears, it tends to correct itself.  Last year how many mock drafts had Darnell Savage as a first rounder at this time of the year--none.  Likewise two years ago, how many mock drafts had DJ Moore as a first rounder and the first WR taken in the draft at this time of the year--none.  But as evaluations happen the players from the small schools and lower power 5 conference schools like Maryland get a closer look and the better ones tend to rise.

Below are the Maryland players drafted since 2015.   All of them except Derwin Gray are still on a 53 man roster (actually two are on IR, but were on a 53  this season and played in a number of games) and Gray is on the Steelers practice squad.  We also have two players from this time period who were undrafted but are on 53 man rosters (Josh Woods from the 2017 class which had no drafted players is a reserve linebacker for the Bears and JC Jackson who I believe actually is a starter at cornerback for the Patriots from the 2018 class).  Sean Davis was the pick that puzzled me.   As a fan I tend to be a homer and I didn't think he was good enough in college to warrant a second round pick.  Usually its not a great sign if a team's fans  think their player was drafted too high.  Diggs puzzled me the other way.  He was in the same class talent wise as Darius Heyward-Bey and Torrey Smith who were 1st and 2nd rounders in the previous 6 years from Maryland at WR, yet he went in the 5th round.  that said for all my criticism of Sean Davis going in the second round he started a couple years for them (though he got injured and they traded for Fitzpatrick so he doesn't really have a role going forward with the Steelers).  Diggs was great value in the 5th round and I felt he was underdrafted at the time.  Ngakoue was solid value in the third.  Both of the first rounders Savage and Moore have played well and start for their teams with Moore being on pace for 1300 receiving yards.  Right now all the attention is on the prospects from the top 25 or so programs (there are about 65 power 5 conference teams), but I feel like most of the other 40 P5 teams are going to have 1 to 3 players per year that will have a decent run in the NFL.

2015 5 10 146 Stefon Diggs WR Minnesota Vikings  
2015 6 27 203 Darius Kilgo DT Denver Broncos  
2016 2 27 58 Sean Davis S Pittsburgh Steelers  
2016 3 6 69 Yannick Ngakoue DE Jacksonville Jaguars  
2016 5 8 147 Quinton Jefferson DT Seattle Seahawks  
2018 1 24 24 D. J. Moore WR Carolina Panthers  
2018 5 24 161 Jermaine Carter Jr. LB Carolina Panthers  
2019 1 22 22 Darnell Savage Jr. S Green Bay Packers  
2019 5 21 159 Byron Cowart DT New England Patriots  
2019 6 13 186 Ty Johnson RB Detroit Lions  
2019 7 5 219 Derwin Gray G Pittsburgh Steelers

18 minutes ago, philibusters said:

That list may only include unrestricted free agents.  I want to say there are some restricted free agent corners not on that list like Mike Hilton of the Steelers and Jason Verritt of the 49'ers.

And it includes Eli Apple, who rest assured, makes current Josh Norman look like an All-Pro.

@Skinsinparadise exactly. We have a lot of young talent at CB on this roster. You can certainly get MORE of that. But I think the CB1 is addressed in free agency, not with a high draft pick. BPA for sure, and Okudah seems like a true elite stud, but I would prefer to draft a CB in the 3rd or 4th round to round out the backend of the depth chart.

1. FA DB

2. Quinton Dunbar

3. Fabian Maureax

4. Jimmy Moreland

5. mid-round CB

6. Danny Johnson

7. through camp bodies - UDFA

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With a lot of cap room, this is why I don't want to force a pick at corner

Got really excited until I looked at the names on the list.  Some of these guys are getting older and will be looking for big long term contracts, and it doesn't make sense for us.  2020 is not going to be a year we're contending, so we'd want a big CB contract to have his prime match up with 2021 and 2022 (the last 2 years of Haskins contract before it explodes).

1 - Scheme dependent.  I don't know who our coaches are, and if Bruce Allen is still around, I have no faith in reining in his personality.

2 - He's above average, but he'll be massively overpaid, and he'll be 29/30 during the two most likely years for contending.

3a - Bradberry is the one I'd be most willing to throw money at on this list.  He'd be 28/29 during the contending window.

3b (Forbes failed at numbering this list) - Harris will be 32/33 during the contending window.  Doesn't make sense.

4 - Ryan will be 30/31 during the window.  Probably doesn't make sense.

6 (Forbes number...) - Waynes is about as good as Moreau.

7 - Kendall Fuller got demoted.

8 - Isn't he a Nickel only corner?

9 - Pass

10 - I'm down.  He's the only decent corner on their team (that's not 35 years old), I'd be shocked if they let him walk.

11 - Awful this year

12 - Maybe for the right price?

13 - Awful this year

14 - He was benched and then stashed on IR for a roster spot.

15 - Always injured

If we're just trying to add talent period, and are willing to pay for it, then this FA group is appealing.  But if we're trying to time our roster to fit the 2 best years to contend, from a roster construction standpoint.  Which is 2021 and 2022.  Then this FA group isn't that appealing.

Bradberry would be the only one I'd throw the checkbook at.  But if we just want a good corner regardless of future, or dollar value, then Jones and Ryan are tempting.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Skinsinparadise exactly. We have a lot of young talent at CB on this roster. You can certainly get MORE of that. But I think the CB1 is addressed in free agency, not with a high draft pick. BPA for sure, and Okudah seems like a true elite stud, but I would prefer to draft a CB in the 3rd or 4th round to round out the backend of the depth chart.

1. FA DB

2. Quinton Dunbar

3. Fabian Maureax

4. Jimmy Moreland

5. mid-round CB

6. Danny Johnson

7. through camp bodies - UDFA

If I'm rating positions that need upgrades/attention the most its:

1) OL/DL (Always. They will always be first. Whether that means draft, addition by subtraction, free agency or whatever, I will always value these two position groups more than pretty much anything else in the grand scope. But keep in mind, that doesn't mean they are always my top draft priority)

2) Tight End

3) Inside Linebacker

4) Free Safety

5) Runningback

Positions that could pop up in the priority:

Quarterback

Positions I'm semi comfortable with, but could use upgrades:

Wide Receiver, Corner

Position where we have a free agent and I am praying he re-signs:

Punter

Positions I feel good about:

Kicker

Strong Safety

Interior DL

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Bradberry would be the only one I'd throw the checkbook at.  But if we just want a good corner regardless of future, or dollar value, then Jones and Ryan are tempting.

Jones, Bradberry, Roby.

In order those are the main big guys I would target and throw money at. BTW, 29 and 30 is not old for a CB in the prime years of competition.

Couple of assumptions:

1. We will have a new GM who will want to bring in some outside guys to create a culture

2. We are going to have a new DC and potentially a new scheme.

3. We have a lot of talent on defense but could use another pass rusher and a CB1 very clearly.

4. We will have a lot of money to spend in 2020 and even more in 2021 ... years that you ideally want to be surrounding your franchise QB with talent while he is still cheap.

While we may not necessarily be competing in 2020, never say never. With the right GM, HC and off-season moves, this team is a lot closer to the 8-8 version of the franchise than the current 3-11 version.

The new GM is going to want to build a team that will be competing in 2021-2022 presuming Haskins is the guy. The 2020 and 2021 off-season will go a long way in building on the existing talent to make that happen (DUH) ...

Those things spell out to me some splashes. Hopefully good splashes. But a big CB1 contract + a big addition on offense (I'm looking at TE) would do the trick in free agency. And I haven't looked to see who is available at OT, but if there's a young OT hitting the market this off-season it wouldn't shock me if we traded Trent and spent a ton of money on a LT either.

Players make a boatload of money in today's NFL, but by cutting Norman and Reed and trading Trent, the Redskins will have $80 million in cap space this year with the cap rollover. I mentioned a few pages back that it would make a lot of sense to get a CB1, a good Tight End in free agency and dump Alex Smith's contract (would bump the 2021 available cap space to $127 million).

I say this because you want to roll over money to next year, and then the year after ... because you're going to want to start re-signing your studs like Scherff, Allen, Payne ... guys that are going to be due massive deals over the next few off-seasons. You don't NEED to spend $80 million this off-season. Not even close. I think you dump Smith's salary, Sign a CB1, and a veteran TE, re-sign Scherff (and mybe Flowers) ... and roll over around $40-45 million into 2021 when you can re-sign Allen ... and roll even more into 2022 when you want to re-sign Payne, Guice (maybe), etc.

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

In order those are the main big guys I would target and throw money at. BTW, 29 and 30 is not old for a CB in the prime years of competition.

Every corner is different, some are still playing at a high level at 32.  Such as Ike Taylor and Charles Tillman.  Others start losing a step around 30.  Such as DeAngelo Hall, Josh Norman, and Darrelle Revis.  So if there's decent odds a corner could decline during the opportune championship window, it's something to factor in.

Couple of assumptions:

1. We will have a new GM who will want to bring in some outside guys to create a culture

2. We are going to have a new DC and potentially a new scheme.

3. We have a lot of talent on defense but could use another pass rusher and a CB1 very clearly.

4. We will have a lot of money to spend in 2020 and even more in 2021 ... years that you ideally want to be surrounding your franchise QB with talent while he is still cheap.

1. Is Bruce Allen still here?  That's the only thing that can move the needle culture wise.

2. Yes please.  I feel like some of our talent is misused (Jon Allen), and some of our defensive plays have too many errors within them.  I think our defensive coaches are copying good plays that he sees other defenses do, which is what you should be doing.  But I don't think the defensive staff is getting the X's and O's for why that defense worked against a particular offense.  Some of our blitz plays work well, and others are easily exploited.  The inconsistency leads me to think the staff isn't getting how certain plays work/develop against an offensive scheme/personnel grouping.

3.  What's wrong with Dunbar?  He's played as a top tier CB this season, his passer rating allowed has been CB1.  But yeah, an elite pass rusher, aka Chase Young, would be amazing.

4.  Sure.

While we may not necessarily be competing in 2020, never say never. With the right GM, HC and off-season moves, this team is a lot closer to the 8-8 version of the franchise than the current 3-11 version.

I agree.

But a big CB1 contract + a big addition on offense (I'm looking at TE) would do the trick in free agency. And I haven't looked to see who is available at OT, but if there's a young OT hitting the market this off-season it wouldn't shock me if we traded Trent and spent a ton of money on a LT either.

We're looking at just two starting OT's, under the age of 30, hitting Free Agency.  Germain Ifedi and Jack Conklin, who I believe both their teams chose to not give the 5th year options to.  That's the best FA has to offer.  I'd rather roll with Geron Christian and keep Moses then overpay Ifedi/Conklin.  Cause teams are desperate for O-line help.

As for TE's under the age of 30, we've got two good ones.  Austin Hooper and Hunter Henry.  Henry is often hurt, so the Chargers might want to move on.  Hooper though, is I'm betting, getting franchised.  He's the only franchise candidate I see for the Falcons, and the tag cost for TE is reasonable.

I say this because you want to roll over money to next year, and then the year after ... because you're going to want to start re-signing your studs like Scherff, Allen, Payne ... guys that are going to be due massive deals over the next few off-seasons. You don't NEED to spend $80 million this off-season. Not even close. I think you dump Smith's salary, Sign a CB1, and a veteran TE, re-sign Scherff (and mybe Flowers) ... and roll over around $40-45 million into 2021 when you can re-sign Allen ... and roll even more into 2022 when you want to re-sign Payne, Guice (maybe), etc.

As near as I can tell, there's no benefit to cutting Smith this off-season.  It doesn't move the dollar signs anywhere we'd like.  Might as well just keep him around as an extra "coach".

I could get behind an offseason of something like this:

Cut Reed (or he retires)
Trade Trent
Cut Norman
June-1 Cut Richardson

Re-sign Flowers to 1/3rd or 1/2 the cost of Scherff.
Extend Roullier for cheap.
Move Wes Martin to Scherff's spot.

This gives us our all 3 of our starting IOL through the championship window for less than the cost of just Scherff.  Franchise tag for Scherff is over 16 million.  He'll be expensive.

We now have a 3rd round Comp Pick for 2021 if we don't splurge in FA.

Since this is a draft thread, we talk about draft plans now.  We need corner help.  Moreau has been a decent starting outside corner (but abysmal nickel).  Maybe he'll improve with an off-season training as an outside corner.  Maybe not.  Three options:

Option 1, we spend a 1st rounder on a corner.  Let's say Okudah.  We then get to keep our 3rd round Comp Pick for 2021.
Option 2, we splurge to get a high profile corner.  We get to use our 1st rounder on something else, but we also lose the 3rd round Comp Pick in 2021.
Option 3, we gamble that Moreau gets a bit better as an outside corner.  We keep the 2021 3rd rounder, we use the 1st rounder on something else, and we save a bunch of money to use elsewhere.

Outcomes of each option:

Options 1 shore up the position for a season, and weather a possible loss of Dunbar in FA 2021.
Options 2 and 3 let us spend that pick on either:
WR - Richardson has played only 40% of snaps in his 2 years here.  He's injury prone and not worth the dollar amount.  Not sold on Harmon as an outside WR.
OT - Let's us move on from Moses.  Although say what you want about Moses, he hasn't missed games since his rookie season.
...that might be it for Top 10 caliber positions for us.  I doubt we wind up drafting Chase Young unless the Giants beat us.  Maybe the speedy linebacker, Simmons, from Clemson?

@Alcoholic Zebra

i don’t know about just discarding Scherff like that. He’s had a down year but is an elite Guard. You don’t just let those walk for Wes Martin hopeful replacements. Martin was drafted to play LG and Flowrrs has been a bonus. You can never have too many good OL. Sign Flowers to a 2-3 year deal and Scherff to a massive deal and let Martin be a solid backup and if he overtakes Flowers, so be it. 

With rollover, cutting Norman and Reed you’re at $66 million even if you keep Trent (would be my hope to extend him under a new regime tbh). That sort of cap room allows you to extend Scherff and Flowers and really solidify the OL (starters and depth) and then you just hope Christian and Rorschbacher step up and can take over for Roullier and Moses. And hit OT again in the mid rounds and you’re really set. Or if you trade Trent, use an early pick on his replacement. But with plenty of cap room I would double down on OL for Haskins safety and progression not move on from your best one so easily. Now if Scheff wants no part of coming back here, that’s a different story (would you blame him?) 

As for WR I am going to be looking for a 3rd or 4th round slot guy. Quinn is nice in theory but hasn’t proven it out and we need a TE (FA) and a slot guy to push Sims. 

Screw keeping Flowers and letting Scherff walk.  Flowers is a journeyman JAG, just like Moses.  We're getting his absolute best this year and it's still not close to Scherff's average.  BTW, Scherff is PFF's third best OG this year.I

You don't get better letting your best players walk for nothing when you've got tons of cap room to keep them.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Screw keeping Flowers and letting Scherff walk.  Flowers is a journeyman JAG, just like Moses.  We're getting his absolute best this year and it's still not close to Scherff's average.  BTW, Scherff is PFF's third best OG this year.I

You don't get better letting your best players walk for nothing when you've got tons of cap room to keep them.

I'd add the O line more than most positions relies on continuity-chemistry.   And if we are replacing Trent, it's better not to start over on multiple positions with the O line of all positions.

I actually think if they shore up LT and add another passing weapon or two (TE-WR), this could be an explosive offense ala 2016 assuming Haskins develops.  Heck in 2016 we didn't even have a running game.  If we are lucky injury wise, this team could have a very dynamic running game.  

If Bruce is gone Trent could return. If he does, then my approach to LT would be to extend Trent thru his Age 34/35 season, draft a mid-round OT to groom along with Christian and hope one of them replaces Moses in 2020 or at least 2021. Then you eventually do the same with Trent. Once Moses leaves you draft a 1st or 2nd rounder to replace him with LT upside to replace Trent someday. 

1. Re-sign or Tag Scherff

2. Re-sign Flowers 

3. Extend Trent or trade and draft R1 LT

Yes you can find elite C in the early rounds but often your best ones end up being 3-5 round picks. I am hoping Rorschbacher has the skill to take over for Roullier this or next year to take the OC to the next level. 

Also re: Flowers .... he’s still young. He’s Scherff’s draft class. If you let Trent walk and go DRAFT for a LT replacement you’ve got plenty of $$ to invest in the OL. Moses is likely expendable after this year, so it’s not a crazy idea to have 2 high paid interior OL to go with Moses. Not that Flowers is worthy of a top contract and he may have some loyalty for being given a shot here. 

I think it’s a good thing to have 2 high level OG and a high level backup. But if the Skins think Martin is a stud in the making, you could let Flowers go for the comp pick. But OL depth is pretty critical and I think it would be wise to keep Flowers and Scherff. 

I want BPA.  To me, the FA CB class is pretty darn deep and that makes me hesitant on drafting Ogedah.

Unless we lose out and get Young, my preference would be to trade down and somehow land Simmons.  I think I'd take Simmons #3 frankly.  This WR class is so deep, you can get a player in the 3rd round. 

Archived