Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The Dolphins wouldn't likely trade up with us simply because they would not expect us to take a QB.  They are not fools.  They know if we have the second pick we'll likely (and rightly IMO) take Chase Young.  Meaning whatever QB they would want at 2 would be available at 3.   Thus if they want a QB they are not going to trade up from 2 to 3 as they wouldn't gain anything.   The only reason they would trade up in my opinion is if they wanted Chase Young.

Teams trade up on occasion to prevent teams behind them trading ahead of them.  

I’ve always been a proponent of building around the strengths of your team. It’s one thing I love about the 49ers and Ravens. I think the potential is there for us to have a great defense, therefore I’d like to build around that. Preferably I’d like to hire Rex Ryan or Saleh as the head coach and approach the draft with strengths in mind: 

Presuming we secure the no.2 pick, here are the moves I’d like to make:

Kyle Smith: GM

Rex Ryan: Head Coach

Rob Ryan: defensive coordinator

KO: offensive coordinator

Trent Williams to Miami for two 2nds

Ryan Kerrigan to Baltimore or Tampa for OJ Howard or Hayden Hurst

1. Chase Young | Edge

2. Tyler Biadasz | C

2. Trey Adams | T

3. KJ Hill | WR

a Rex Ryan DL with Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ion, and Young is lethal. 

or target JAX for a trade down for two 1sts and a 4th. 

1. Tristan Wirfs | T

1. Laviska Shenault | WR

2. Tyler Biadasz | C

2. Edge

3. S

22 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I’ve always been a proponent of building around the strengths of your team. It’s one thing I love about the 49ers and Ravens. I think the potential is there for us to have a great defense, therefore I’d like to build around that. Preferably I’d like to hire Rex Ryan or Saleh as the head coach and approach the draft with strengths in mind: 

Presuming we secure the no.2 pick, here are the moves I’d like to make:

Kyle Smith: GM

Rex Ryan: Head Coach

Rob Ryan: defensive coordinator

KO: offensive coordinator

Trent Williams to Miami for two 2nds

Ryan Kerrigan to Baltimore or Tampa for OJ Howard or Hayden Hurst

1. Chase Young | Edge

2. Tyler Biadasz | C

2. Trey Adams | T

3. KJ Hill | WR

a Rex Ryan DL with Sweat, Allen, Payne, Ion, and Young is lethal. 

or target JAX for a trade down for two 1sts and a 4th. 

1. Tristan Wirfs | T

1. Laviska Shenault | WR

2. Tyler Biadasz | C

2. Edge

3. S

I don't think the team trades Williams if Allen is gone. I think Williams returns.

42 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The Dolphins wouldn't likely trade up with us simply because they would not expect us to take a QB.  They are not fools.  They know if we have the second pick we'll likely (and rightly IMO) take Chase Young.  Meaning whatever QB they would want at 2 would be available at 3.   Thus if they want a QB they are not going to trade up from 2 to 3 as they wouldn't gain anything.   The only reason they would trade up in my opinion is if they wanted Chase Young.

I mean, how could anyone assume the Skins wouldn't go QB with a new GM/HC? (Assuming a lot here with the GM).

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't think the team trades Williams if Allen is gone. I think Williams returns.

That would be quite the development. I was actually debating that with some colleagues yesterday that perhaps Trent comes back with Allen gone. I would still like to replace Roulier with Biadasz. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I mean, how could anyone assume the Skins wouldn't go QB with a new GM/HC? (Assuming a lot here with the GM).

Burrow will be off the table to the Bengals already so that leaves you Herbert and Tua.   A GM could pick a QB, but I just cannot see given our needs and the fact Haskins is already in the fold.  i guess the issue is whether the Dolphins could see it, but my instinct is nobody would expect the skins to draft a QB especially if Chase Young is on the board.

For what its worth, Haskins beat out Burrow at Ohio St. for the starting spot.  He is pretty green, I feel like we need to give him 2020.

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

But for me, it's less about us taking Tua at #3 ... but someone trading up for him. You'll have quite a few teams that might be looking to jump up to #3 to take him ahead of the Dolphins at #4 or 5 wherever they pick.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

But for me, it's less about us taking Tua at #3 ... but someone trading up for him. You'll have quite a few teams that might be looking to jump up to #3 to take him ahead of the Dolphins at #4 or 5 wherever they pick.

I thought the original poster's idea that I responded to was that if we got the 2nd pick and Dolphins got the 3rd pick we could swap picks with the Dolphins and get another 1st rounder of it, which I thought was unlikely as the Dolphins wouldn't expect us to draft a QB at 2.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

That would be quite the development. I was actually debating that with some colleagues yesterday that perhaps Trent comes back with Allen gone. I would still like to replace Roulier with Biadasz. 

The OL will be the story to follow for me this off-season. The OL is critical to the progression of Haskins. I will also by default and lazilly lump TE into the OL for argument purposes.

Will Trent come back if Allen is gone? If not, what can you get for him in trade value?

Is Scherff coming back on a LTD or a tag?

Is Moses someone you move on from (salary cap dump + poor play?)

You hope Christian can develop into at least a serviceable backup. You drafted the Guard out of Indiana and the C out of Alabama last year. Interior OL are notirous for taking 1-2 years to develop. Pierce could end up being your starting Center and an upgrade over Roullier.

Is Flowers inked to a LTD since he has played so well?

It takes time to develop a TE properly (at least 1 year, very rare for rookies to make an impact) ... so the solution here unfortunately is probably through Free Agency, coupled with a 3rd or 4th round TE that you can work in as a rookie but hope to be your future.

Shoot, I would be all for drafting 2 TEs ... a 3rd and a 5th ... and combine them with a veteran FA TE who can block and catch.

8 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The OL will be the story to follow for me this off-season. The OL is critical to the progression of Haskins. I will also by default and lazilly lump TE into the OL for argument purposes.

Will Trent come back if Allen is gone? If not, what can you get for him in trade value?

Is Scherff coming back on a LTD or a tag?

Is Moses someone you move on from (salary cap dump + poor play?)

You hope Christian can develop into at least a serviceable backup. You drafted the Guard out of Indiana and the C out of Alabama last year. Interior OL are notirous for taking 1-2 years to develop. Pierce could end up being your starting Center and an upgrade over Roullier.

Is Flowers inked to a LTD since he has played so well?

It takes time to develop a TE properly (at least 1 year, very rare for rookies to make an impact) ... so the solution here unfortunately is probably through Free Agency, coupled with a 3rd or 4th round TE that you can work in as a rookie but hope to be your future.

Shoot, I would be all for drafting 2 TEs ... a 3rd and a 5th ... and combine them with a veteran FA TE who can block and catch.

My instinct is that given Trent William age and that fact he only has one year on his contract, we'll be able to get one late 2nd round draft pick or one early 3rd round draft pick and that is it.

I would move on from Moses after the 2020 season.  The deadcap if we cut him next year is 3.8 million I believe.  The difference between his cap hit 8.6 million dollars and deadcap  of 3.8 million is 4.8 million.  I think it will be hard to get somebody for 4.8 million who is an upgrade over him unless its through the draft.  I would look to move on for the 2021 season not 2020 season.

I am a bit of a homer when it comes to the Terps but I like both the Maryland running backs who declared early for the draft (Javon Leake and Anthony McFarland).  Its hard for me to say where they rate compared to the other guys on the list because I don't know a ton about them.  Javon Leake is the best every down RB I have seen since I became a Terp fan (starting in 2001).  Admittedly we haven't had any guys who had sustained NFL success during that time period but we did have a couple running backs drafted (Bruce Perry 7th round draft pick to Eagles, Da'Rel Scott 5th round to the Giants) and he is better than both of them in my opinion.

McFarland is hard to judge as he had a disappointing sophomore season in 2019 after a really good RS Freshman season in 2018.  He was hampered somewhat by an ankle sprain.  McFarland is really athletic.  He is fast but not elite when it comes to straightline speed, but what he does at an elite level is change directions without losing speed.  As an every down back getting 20 carries a game I probably like Leake more, but McFarland could be a dynamic third down back.   

They are not on Brugler's top 10 list and given that McFarland was only a sophomore and Leake a junior I don't think people were paying as much attention to them but I think as we get closer to the draft they will gather more interest.   Maryland is a team that maybe produces 2 NFL prospects per year compared to an Ohio St or Alabama which produce 10 to 12 a year so usually our guys rise in the draft.   Last year Darnell Savage went in the first round to Green Bay when at this time last year he was seen as more of a mid round pick and two years ago DJ Moore went in the first round  while at this time two years ago it was not clear if he would be early round or mid round draft pick.

Edit:  Realized I had a brainfart.  Maryland just had a RB drafted last year in Ty Johnson to the Detorit Lions in the 6th round.  I like both Leake and McFarland more than Ty Johnson.

25 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I am a bit of a homer when it comes to the Terps but I like both the Maryland running backs who declared early for the draft (Javon Leake and Anthony McFarland).  Its hard for me to say where they rate compared to the other guys on the list because I don't know a ton about them.  Javon Leake is the best every down RB I have seen since I became a Terp fan (starting in 2001).  Admittedly we haven't had any guys who had sustained NFL success during that time period but we did have a couple running backs drafted (Bruce Perry 7th round draft pick to Eagles, Da'Rel Scott 5th round to the Giants) and he is better than both of them in my opinion.

McFarland is hard to judge as he had a disappointing sophomore season in 2019 after a really good RS Freshman season in 2018.  He was hampered somewhat by an ankle sprain.  McFarland is really athletic.  He is fast but not elite when it comes to straightline speed, but what he does at an elite level is change directions without losing speed.  As an every down back getting 20 carries a game I probably like Leake more, but McFarland could be a dynamic third down back.   

They are not on Brugler's top 10 list and given that McFarland was only a sophomore and Leake a junior I don't think people were paying as much attention to them but I think as we get closer to the draft they will gather more interest.   

Javon Leake

Anthony McFarland Jr

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

I thought the original poster's idea that I responded to was that if we got the 2nd pick and Dolphins got the 3rd pick we could swap picks with the Dolphins and get another 1st rounder of it, which I thought was unlikely as the Dolphins wouldn't expect us to draft a QB at 2.

Right... but if Oakland really wanted Herbert or Tua, and they feared Miami was going to take them, they may look to leapfrog Miami and get to the number 2 pick.  That would then lead us to want to deal with Miami because if they were stuck on Herbert, and we wanted Young, we could trade back to 3 with them, gain an additional pick, and still get the guy we ultimately wanted.  

4 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Right... but if Oakland really wanted Herbert or Tua, and they feared Miami was going to take them, they may look to leapfrog Miami and get to the number 2 pick.  That would then lead us to want to deal with Miami because if they were stuck on Herbert, and we wanted Young, we could trade back to 3 with them, gain an additional pick, and still get the guy we ultimately wanted.  

It certainly could happen and as the draft gets closer teams seem to get more QB hungry.  That said I may be misreading this QB class, but it doesn't seem that special to me.   For example next year will have a once in every 5 year type QB in Trevor Lawrence.  I don't think a QB has been as hyped as him since Andrew Luck.  Even Joe Burrow, who likely goes number 1 is not a really safe pick to me.   He has had a great year, but he got beat out by Haskins at Ohio St. for the starting job.

I honestly feel like if Dwayne Haskins had gone back to Ohio St for his junior year, given the amount of talent he would be surrounded by at Ohio St this past year, he'd have a reasonable shot at being the number 1 overall pick in this draft as I think he could have been seen as the number 1 QB.   And the book is still out on Haskins.  

In Dane Bruglers (The Athletic) Q & A, he stressed to ignore media fabrication for draft value on some prospects.  Each team will have their own big boards.  Some teams will have Lamb as #1, others Jeudy as #1, and others Ruggs as #1.  So Jeudy could be Top 10, or he could go closer to 20.  If we trade down from our current Top 5 selection, there seems to be a decent chance we could still land someone's favorite WR prospect (if that's what they want).

He thinks this forums favorite Guard prospect, Trey Smith, will be off some teams boards due to medical concerns.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

latest pff scores, judging the roster. Eagles O line which is lauded sometimes as top 5, looks that way at least based on PFF scores.

I mean, from those grades, it would be a stretch to think of any other OL topping that.  Alshon Jeffery also went to IR yesterday.

Eagles are going to look so different next season.  I think half their starters will be 30 or older in 2020.  They've already had injury issues this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sizeable roster overhaul.

20 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I mean, from those grades, it would be a stretch to think of any other OL topping that.  Alshon Jeffery also went to IR yesterday.

Eagles are going to look so different next season.  I think half their starters will be 30 or older in 2020.  They've already had injury issues this year, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sizeable roster overhaul.

They constantly build in the trenches and judging by PFF scores they are better at it than us on both sides of the ball on that front.   Andre Dillard I presume goes to RT next year and Johnson to LT if Peters retires.  

8 hours ago, nonniey said:

3 games left. The giants have to win 2 and we lose all three to get  #2. You all are discussing the best case draft scenario (which is a long shot) - Why not discuss worst case (we win 3 more games - also a long shot) - putting us in the 8-13 range for the draft. Or the two most likely scenarios we get #3 pick or win 1 more game and the pick is in the 4-6th range.

The Giants are going to get Chase Young, goddammit. And I'm going to cry when it happens. 

On 12/10/2019 at 7:06 PM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think the dropoff is that huge from him to the next group.  CJ Henderson and Kristian Fulton are really good and have flashed top ten ability at times.  Trevon Diggs can be dominant too.  I think all three are first round values.  And the second round corners look good too.  Shaun Wade has looked almost as good as Okudah in some of their games and he is very physical.  Jaylon Johnson is one of my favorite players in the class.  And depending on his injury recovery, Bryce Hall could be a strong option in the second round.  There are probably some other names that will end up in that range that I haven't evaluated yet.  I don't think the huge dropoff at corner will come until towards the end of the second round.  In an ideal world we would be able to get one or more of these kids, but I don't think we'll have the ammunition.

Loved your Okudah breakdown yesterday. If we are "stuck"at the 3,4,or 5 slot and cannot trade down OT or Okudah make the most sense to me.

I am a big fan of Bryce Hall and hope to see him in Burgundy and Gold next year.I figure he goes between the end of round 1 to mid round 2. At this stage they def need at least one DB by round 2

Archived