zskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

On 5/21/2019 at 11:37 PM, volsmet said:

As you know, I’m all in on Montez - we debated him a bit, but wasn’t supposed to be there at 15. I only brought this post back for purposes of ES-Jeudy-consolidation - I don’t think the board loved any 2019 prospect as much we love Jeudy.

Cashman fell because he’s supposed to be a pain in the butt, he had some extraordinarily odd interviews, but I’d definitely love to have him in DC. I haven’t watched Holcomb at all, I just knew he was a great athlete...I don’t know if he can play, but I imagine he can. Have you fired up any Holcomb games?

I don’t suspect any ESer was higher on Montez, I’m on team Anselmheifer on Jeudy & MS.

The only full Cashman game I watched was Iowa State. Cashman was super fast and twitchy, could occasionally strike with authority, but fell off a number of tackles against Hakeem Butler and David Montgomery. Not the best tackler. His length also looked poor.

I've not watched any full Holcomb games, just his highlights. Even in his highlights though, he's a slower, less twitchy looking athlete than Cashman, and an even weaker tackler. Strictly drag and drop. Maybe an NFL strength and conditioning program can polish him up, but I'd hate to see him tackling Elliot and Saquon this year. On the other hand, Holcolmb being dragged for 3 yards is probably better than Mason Foster just never arriving. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Justyn Ross isn't coming out next year but Higgins from what I've seen is intriguing. This is looking like an epic draft for receivers.  As much as I like Jeudy, i can see a trade down and still landing a gem of a receiver.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Anselmheifer your boy

• Bleacher Report's Kristopher Knox considers Ohio State junior EDGE Chase Young to be a candidate to be the first overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Young (6'5/265) will be the focal point of opposing offensive lines' game plans in 2019, which shouldn't be much of an adjustment since Ohio State played without the injured Nick Bosa for much of 2018. The junior pass rusher appeared in all 14 games for the Buckeyes in 2018, accounting for 33 total tackles (24 solo, 14.5 for loss), one forced fumble and ten quarterback sacks. With Ohio State also losing Dre'Mont Jones, Young should see more double teams in 2019, an area that he plans to work on this offseason. This coming season should be a good one for Big Ten pass rushers, with Iowa's A.J. Epenesa and Michigan State's Kenny Willekes also being high-level players.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
    May 26, 2019, 7:31 PM ET
3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Justyn Ross isn't coming out next year but Higgins from what I've seen is intriguing. This is looking like an epic draft for receivers.  As much as I like Jeudy, i can see a trade down and still landing a gem of a receiver.  

A Tennessee boy, a one time Tennessee commitment, a guy named after Vol greatness, a HS dunk contest champion ... the heartbreaker, Tee.

🙁

On 5/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

https://www.mockout.com/nfl-mock-draft/

This was a for funsies 2020 mock draft someone on reddit did.  What jumps out at me right now is...dear god, on paper the 2020 class is stacked!  The strengths of the class fits with our needs so well.

Thats the most talented first round I’ve ever seen in my life.

Edited by volsmet
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, volsmet said:

A Tennessee boy, a one time Tennessee commitment, a guy named after Vol greatness, a HS dunk contest champion ... the heartbreaker, Tee.

Dunk champion? Now, that is interesting!!

Wow. That being said, scouting WR's makes me nervous. The miss rate is so high. I feel a lot more confident scouting other positions, unless we are talking about a Jeudy level talent. Who do you guys like as a pro comparison for Higgins, and how high do you think he'll go? He looks like a top 12 player to me. 

@Anselmheifer your boy

• Bleacher Report's Kristopher Knox considers Ohio State junior EDGE Chase Young to be a candidate to be the first overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Young (6'5/265) will be the focal point of opposing offensive lines' game plans in 2019, which shouldn't be much of an adjustment since Ohio State played without the injured Nick Bosa for much of 2018. The junior pass rusher appeared in all 14 games for the Buckeyes in 2018, accounting for 33 total tackles (24 solo, 14.5 for loss), one forced fumble and ten quarterback sacks. With Ohio State also losing Dre'Mont Jones, Young should see more double teams in 2019, an area that he plans to work on this offseason. This coming season should be a good one for Big Ten pass rushers, with Iowa's A.J. Epenesa and Michigan State's Kenny Willekes also being high-level players.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
    May 26, 2019, 7:31 PM ET

I would love to get Young, much more so than even Delpit. I'm almost positive we don't take him though. The first reason is that we very predictably draft for need. We need OT, WR, ILB, CB, and FS more than we need an edge player. The second reason is that having just drafted Haskins, we very clearly are going to focus on protecting him and providing him with targets. 

I could however argue that Kerrigan will only be under contract for one more year after the 2020 draft, and that he will play that year at age 32. I also could argue that edge players are clearly seen by NFL front offices as affecting the game more than any other position. Look at the cost to franchise a player by position. The problem is that you can also see how valuable WR's are and there will be a bunch of great WR's available. 

Quarterback – $23.189 million

defensive end - $17.143 million

wide receiver - $15.982 million

Cornerback $14.975 million

Linebacker – $14.961 million

Offensive line – $14.077 million

Defensive tackle – $13.939 million

running backs - $11.866 million

Safety $11.287 million

Tight end – $9.846 million

Kicker/Punter – $4.939 million

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/05/2018-franchise-tag-values-set-with-release-of-cap-number/

However, as much as I have a perverse fascination with seeing how good we can make this defense, I think the biggest thing we could do to help our defense look good might be to put up some points and control the clock. If we aren't scoring or playing with a lead, we aren't going to spend as much time rushing the passer, which should clearly be the strength of the team. Our defense is also going to be much less effective if we lead the league in 3 and outs. I think we only take a defender next year if he is BPA by a wide margin, which I doubt will be the case with a loaded OL and WR class. 

Edited by Anselmheifer
  • Thanks 1

Thats the most talented first round I’ve ever seen in my life.

Ditto.  

Re: that mock, I haven't watched much film on Delpit yet, but my mouth is salivating at the thought of pairing an elite FS prospect with Collins and adding Wagner in FA.  That defense would have best in the league potential.  Would still prefer Jeudy though if we're in that spot.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2019 at 12:47 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

This was a for funsies 2020 mock draft someone on reddit did.  What jumps out at me right now is...dear god, on paper the 2020 class is stacked!  The strengths of the class fits with our needs so well.

Funny I would expect the QB's to go 1 and 2 but most early mocks show them going somewhere in the top 10. Guess they avoid the trades this early but makes this mock more realistic. I think think the Redskins at 4 is possible although my guess would be around 6-8.

Delpit has been my 2020 crush since watching Greedy clips this year. You couldn't help but notice him. Now that I am watching his clips, wow!

I am very intrigued to see how Biadasz plays after loosing all his line mates to the draft. You have him higher than most and if he shows up carrying a new line this year, he could be worth that high of a selection.

The WR and OT talent are nuts this year!

• Like 1

What do you guys think of Isaiah Simmons? He's taken 11th overall in the mock draft above. I'm not sure about that. He does look like he has terrific coverage range. They line him up at safety at times. I think some of that range comes from his length though. I don't see a classic stack and shed ILB here. You don't see much sideline to sideline or up the gut stuff, like you did with Devins White and Bush. Simmons also doesn't look nearly as fast and twitchy as those guys. Simmons lines up all over the place in the videos above. Safety, ILB, OLB. I think he may be more of a rich man's Josh Harvey Clemons than a Leighton Vander Esch or CJ Mosely type player. Has anyone paid more attention to him than I have? I don't think I've singled him out to watch, during an actual game. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 3:02 PM, Anselmheifer said:

The only full Cashman game I watched was Iowa State. Cashman was super fast and twitchy, could occasionally strike with authority, but fell off a number of tackles against Hakeem Butler and David Montgomery. Not the best tackler. His length also looked poor.

I've not watched any full Holcomb games, just his highlights. Even in his highlights though, he's a slower, less twitchy looking athlete than Cashman, and an even weaker tackler. Strictly drag and drop. Maybe an NFL strength and conditioning program can polish him up, but I'd hate to see him tackling Elliot and Saquon this year. On the other hand, Holcolmb being dragged for 3 yards is probably better than Mason Foster just never arriving. 

As a UNC alum I’m worried Bruce overvalued Holcomb and blew this one; I never saw any NFL speed or strength in any games I watched over the past few seasons. Hope I’m wrong and on he positive side he’s a leader and never ever gives up 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

What do you guys think of Isaiah Simmons? He's taken 11th overall in the mock draft above. I'm not sure about that. He does look like he has terrific coverage range. They line him up at safety at times. I think some of that range comes from his length though. I don't see a classic stack and shed ILB here. You don't see much sideline to sideline or up the gut stuff, like you did with Devins White and Bush. Simmons also doesn't look nearly as fast and twitchy as those guys. Simmons lines up all over the place in the videos above. Safety, ILB, OLB. I think he may be more of a rich man's Josh Harvey Clemons than a Leighton Vander Esch or CJ Mosely type player. Has anyone paid more attention to him than I have? I don't think I've singled him out to watch, during an actual game. 

I haven’t watched him, but seeing Clemson run all they do makes me wish Vanables was our DC, he’s the 2nd best defensive mind/coach in the country imo.

• Thanks 1

With so many of the Clemsons front 7 moving to the NFL, Isiah Simmons could be used in more of traditional LB role this year. He looks a little lanky. I see him listed between 6'2" and 6'4". He puts a little more weight on maybe they toss him in edge on occasions. He is a freakish athlete and play maker where ever he lines up. 

One ILB that I am looking forward to seeing more film on is Miami's Shaquille Quarterman. What I have seen and read on him is he has a great motor, range, really good tackler and decent in coverage. Size wise 6'1" 240 so a little shorter but hey, lol. 

Of course as mentioned earlier another ILB that will be fun to watch and grow this year will be Bama's Dylan Moses.

On 5/30/2019 at 12:43 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Jesus. He is literally always going to be open. I don't think his kind of quickness is defensible. 

• Like 1

I’ve been listening to the Keim podcasts about mini camp and the OL situation is distressing. No healthy bodies at tackle. Literally bringing guys in off the street. Can’t run a passing offense in 11 on 11’s because the defense is abusing the OL so badly.  At least we have some bodies at WR.

I think that there is a significant chance that we are forced to choose an OT in the first this year. 

10 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Oh Lord, please bless us with Jerry Jeudy and his divine feet

giphy.gif

I’ve already converted to Jeudyism. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/2/2019 at 8:49 AM, Anselmheifer said:

I’ve been listening to the Keim podcasts about mini camp and the OL situation is distressing. No healthy bodies at tackle. Literally bringing guys in off the street. Can’t run a passing offense in 11 on 11’s because the defense is abusing the OL so badly.  At least we have some bodies at WR.

I think that there is a significant chance that we are forced to choose an OT in the first this year. 

It's June 3rd. 

21 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Look at the very first rep here, where Jeudy is wearing a black shirt. I just don't think his quickness is really defensible, considering you also have to respect his deep speed. Jeudy is always going to be open. 

I'm trying to figure out the other WR's in the next tier. 

I know that Tee Higgins is big and can get up. His dunks that I linked above were ridiculous. Watching their highlights however, I think Ceedee Lamb plays bigger than Higgins at times. And, Lamb, to my eye, looks like a much more natural receiver. He has super soft hands, and looks more natural as a hands-catcher. He looks faster. His routes look better. He had more receptions and a better YPC. He performed very well against Alabama. I think Lamb is my current #2 receiver in the draft. I still haven't figured out Jalen Raegor. 

3 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

It's June 3rd. 

And our OL looks just as healthy as the last 4 games of last season. It has to be addressed. God, I hope Callahan can polish up Flowers. I know we are currently grooming him for LG, but if he can be a viable RT, it will really help preserve draft resources and FA money. 

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

And our OL looks just as healthy as the last 4 games of last season. It has to be addressed. God, I hope Callahan can polish up Flowers. I know we are currently grooming him for LG, but if he can be a viable RT, it will really help preserve draft resources and FA money. 

I think it's a case with Scherff, Williams and Moses not playing mostly because they don't need to be taking risks with those guys as they did have injury problems last year. I don't think them not playing is indicative of how healthy they are at this moment though. The constant rotation of OL being brought in is more a case of just seeing what's out there and seeing who can play and who can't. I'd be more worried if this was actual training camp, but right now i don't think there's a real reason to be concerned.