Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

12 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

What I don't understand is how before the season started everyone said hands down Tua is an all world can't miss talent and now that he lost 1 game playing on a bad leg every mock draft being released has Burrow as the number 1 pick.

Saban said Tua's mobility wasn't at 100%.  I think he played well considering context.  Yeah draft geeks seem in love with Burrow right now but that doesn't mean teams see it that same way.  I love Tua as a prospect -- my one concern about him is durability.  

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Saban said Tua's mobility wasn't at 100%.  I think he played well considering context.  Yeah draft geeks seem in love with Burrow right now but that doesn't mean teams see it that same way.  I love Tua as a prospect -- my one concern about him is durability. 

Tua definitely has a higher ceiling, and more of that Russell Wilson/Lamar Jackson playmaking ability. Like you said, the only concern I have is his injury history. If a new regime comes in next season and Haskins doesn't look good this year, there's a chance we might go QB with our pick. Drafting a QB with a medical chart seems like a dicey proposition for a team with a checkered history of getting its players healthy.

As far as Burrow, I'm high on him. He's having one hell of a year, and I'm very impressed with his accuracy. Assuming Cincy takes Tua, he'd be a great second option IMO.

59 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Not only do I like Young as the pick due to his abilities alone, but I also like the fact it would allow the Redskins to move on from Kerrigan.

Simply put, I love Kerrigan, but he will not be worth his contract if this team builds into something 2-3 years from now. 

He’s not worth his contract NOW.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

What I don't understand is how before the season started everyone said hands down Tua is an all world can't miss talent and now that he lost 1 game playing on a bad leg every mock draft being released has Burrow as the number 1 pick.

What’s even funnier is they said Trevor Lawrence is the next big thing. Clemson is still undefeated and they’re already questioning him as a bust.

2 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

One criticism I've read frequently about Tua is that he seems to get a lot of nagging injuries.  There's worry that he's injury prone.

5 hours ago, method man said:

Issue with Chase is he is one dimensional. Great pass blocker but bad in run game. If they resign him, pay him per that

The head coach position will need to be settled and then a decision on what offensive scheme will they be looking for.

4 hours ago, nonniey said:

Will the team franchise Scherff???? I can't see him signing otherwise.

I agree, I don't see him signing.

What about Flowers? He started out pretty good at G. Is he still okay?If so they should debate resigning him now.

3 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Nitpicking season on Tua.  He's got too much track record and draftniks are god awful with quarterbacks.  Burrow's Q rating is high right now and he hasn't been nitpicked yet because he wasn't a serious NFL prospect prior to this season.  He'll get nitpicked before April.

Tua is still the top quarterback in this year's draft.  Hands down.  Alabama lost that game because their defense was horrible,  especially the tackling.  I have watched and kept up with Tua since he committed to Bama.  In my opinion his skill set is more comparable to Drew Brees than Jackson or Watson.   The kid played his guts out and threw for over 400 yards and 4 touchdowns on one leg!!! The only thing I question and would scare me off is the nagging injuries.  Injuries are the bust potential here.  I hear so many people say he's helped out with a roster full of NFL talent but once he's drafted he will still be surrounded by a NFL roster. Tua checks all the boxes and whoever gets him is getting a good one. 

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

It’s pointless to sign any player because they don’t want to sign here. Save the tag for players who do but there’s a monetary disagreement 

Kinda of agree with that but the problem is I can't see any Redskin player that would want to resign with the Redskins at this point, if given another choice. I imagine most would even play for less (not a lot less I imagine) for another team.

48 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Kinda of agree with that but the problem is I can't see any Redskin player that would want to resign with the Redskins at this point, if given another choice. I imagine most would even play for less (not a lot less I imagine) for another team.

I imagine the culture isn’t nearly as bad we think and how it’s reported. Besides, we’re still an nfl franchise, one of only 32 In The league. Players become accustomed a system and create lives for themselves within the community. It’s not an easy thing to just move on.

12 hours ago, method man said:

Issue with Chase is he is one dimensional. Great pass blocker but bad in run game. If they resign him, pay him per that

I agree but he is still a young player, only his third season and I feel like he got better every year. It's tough to find realiable starters along the O-line. Sure, everyone wants a Jason Kelce type of center but how high are the chances of finding one? And it's not like Kelce dominated right from the start. 

5 hours ago, Panninho said:

I agree but he is still a young player, only his third season and I feel like he got better every year. It's tough to find realiable starters along the O-line. Sure, everyone wants a Jason Kelce type of center but how high are the chances of finding one? And it's not like Kelce dominated right from the start. 

I'd hang on to him for sure, but I wouldn't give him a ton of money, nor would I shy away from drafting an upgrade.

I might be in the minority here, but unless Haskins really shows something in the last 7 games, I would strongly consider drafting Tua if we can. I really, really hope that Williams either commits to come back after a regime change, or that we get at least a 2nd for him. I think a late first would be a reasonable return and I would trade that for trent if I had a contending team. 

1 hour ago, Anselmheifer said:

I might be in the minority here, but unless Haskins really shows something in the last 7 games, I would strongly consider drafting Tua if we can. I really, really hope that Williams either commits to come back after a regime change, or that we get at least a 2nd for him. I think a late first would be a reasonable return and I would trade that for trent if I had a contending team. 

Agree with this.  I just hope the FO allows the coach to lead here (to some extent at least), and not just 1) draft Tua because he’s highest on their board, or 2) force the new coach to stick with Haskins.  Of course, we’ve seen this play out before...  

I’d think a 2nd or late 1st is reasonable, especially as going to the latter likely involves a contender (as you said), and therefore Trent might be willing to work out an extension with them.  

Haven’t been watching much this year - is Joe Burrow sort of in the Russell Wilson mold?

56 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Agree with this.  I just hope the FO allows the coach to lead here (to some extent at least), and not just 1) draft Tua because he’s highest on their board, or 2) force the new coach to stick with Haskins.  Of course, we’ve seen this play out before...  

I don't think we should consider the presence of Haskins much at all unless he looks really good. The 15th pick in the draft is a sunk cost and isn't so much of an asset that the FO will look bad for swinging on a better prospect. Does anyone blink twice now about the Cardinals drafting Murray and trading Rosen?

I like Haskins. I want him to be good. I just think the odds are higher that Tua pans out to be elite than that Haskins does. 

On 11/14/2019 at 1:47 PM, JSSkinz said:

I've personally had some questions about Tua for a while. No doubt he has great talent but he does have a nagging injury history and he has spent his entire college career on easily one of the most stacked offenses in college football. I certainly like him a lot more than I liked Haskins though. I like Burrow a lot too but him only having one year of production worries me a bit. Burrow has played against much better defenses this year than Tua as well; Burrow has played against Alabama, Auburn, and Florida...all top 20 defenses, and played well. Tua hasn't played any defensive powerhouses. 

Based on what's being reported in the media and what I read right here on this thread it seems this draft is stockpiled with QB, WR, O Line, and CB.

Does this draft have more high end talent than usual or is it just hype?

I only ask because I'm too lazy to do the research.

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

I don't think we should consider the presence of Haskins much at all unless he looks really good. The 15th pick in the draft is a sunk cost and isn't so much of an asset that the FO will look bad for swinging on a better prospect. Does anyone blink twice now about the Cardinals drafting Murray and trading Rosen?

I like Haskins. I want him to be good. I just think the odds are higher that Tua pans out to be elite than that Haskins does. 

If we burn Haskins and pick another QB this year, then I honestly don't understand how any fan could expect the next guy to succeed for this organization.  Franchise QBs are made, not found.  It already kind of feels like we are incapable of developing one, burning up Haskins would be proof for me.  And the opportunity cost isn't really just the 15th pick in a vacuum because Haskins was a huge value pick.  The cost is an elite prospect.  That would be two elite QB prospects we've burned up in a span of seven years, and very probably three.

Ruining Haskins and Tua... I can't stomach that.  The unbelievable bungling of the QB position that this organization has been guilty of--for decades--but most egregiously this decade... it would end my fanhood.

Just as a matter of principle, there is absolutely no way I want to see this FO getting yet another shot at QB.  Seventh times the charm?  No thanks.

We need to make it work with Haskins.

36 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Based on what's being reported in the media and what I read right here on this thread it seems this draft is stockpiled with QB, WR, O Line, and CB.

Does this draft have more high end talent than usual or is it just hype?

I only ask because I'm too lazy to do the research.

I think it's above average on the whole.  QB is pretty good, running back is good, corner is really good, wide receiver is great.  The line and front seven talent is far worse than last year's, but the skill talent is far better.

This is the year to set our WR up core for long term excellence and fix our secondary.  We should be coming away with a good WR and multiple good DBs hopefully.

Archived