Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is how I think you play the Wirfs and Thomas situation: trade down, BPA them in the late teens and early 20s.  Pick a WR or CB if someone has already reached on them.

A gamble on their elite athleticism and the awesome teaching ability of Callahan is reasonable in that range.

I’m with you here, except for the bit about Callahan working with oline next year...

I’d think you could get a 2nd in a trade back, maybe more (sure wouldn’t mind picking up a 2021 1st either).  

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My take we go either Okudah or Jeudy if we aren't picking high enough to get Young. Need to find some means to snag another pick before the third round though. 

Hopefully we get a pick for Trent (maybe 2, like a 2nd and 3rd).  I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t trade back, but I think I’d prefer McQueen’s route above.  Turning our 1st and Trent into (a total of) 4-6 picks through rd 3 would go a long way for us.  

14 hours ago, skinny21 said:

With McLaurin and Holcomb up on that list (partially circumstance with Cole, but he’s really grabbed that spot), last draft is looking pretty good, regardless of how things go with Haskins.  
Harmon and Love could be substantial contributors going forward, Martin may well be a starter next year, and Moreland and Brailford have some potential for providing depth.  Sweat’s progress will be interesting to see - plenty of time for him really come on (as a pass rusher in particular) and a new DC could help this.  

Glad to see my guys Savage and Winovich up there :)

Pretty crazy how we could potentially miss at 2 first round picks but still have had a decent draft. That’s kinda what I mean when I said back in April that this draft had the potential to be the best skins draft since i can remember.

imo mclaurin is the kinda guy you can build around. He is always open. Throw to him continually and he will almost always have the advantage 1 v 1. This will necessitate a need for consistent double coverage which can then be exploited elsewhere. This should be our game plan for the foreseeable future.. it’s really simple and you shouldn’t need a franchise qb to pull it off.

i will say that having a playmaking threat elsewhere (te, rb, wr) will really help this plan of attack become efficient.

kinda like how someone mentioned in earlier pages that some defenses have greatly improved by adding a high caliber rusher to an already stout dline, they just needed that extra playmaker to push them over the top.

18 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Pretty crazy how we could potentially miss at 2 first round picks but still have had a decent draft. That’s kinda what I mean when I said back in April that this draft had the potential to be the best skins draft since i can remember.

Yep, lots of potential and McLaurin automatically gives a big jump to the draft.  

imo mclaurin is the kinda guy you can build around. He is always open. Throw to him continually and he will almost always have the advantage 1 v 1. This will necessitate a need for consistent double coverage which can then be exploited elsewhere. This should be our game plan for the foreseeable future.. it’s really simple and you shouldn’t need a franchise qb to pull it off.

i will say that having a playmaking threat elsewhere (te, rb, wr) will really help this plan of attack become efficient.

Agreed, we absolutely need one or two other guys to help him out.  I kinda like Quinn and Harmon is an interesting guy, but I’d not expecting them to reach ‘playmaker’ status, even if they can develop into valuable pieces.  

kinda like how someone mentioned in earlier pages that some defenses have greatly improved by adding a high caliber rusher to an already stout dline, they just needed that extra playmaker to push them over the top.

@volsmet made a point about adding a talented hands back and how it stresses defenses, and it’s a great point IMO.  A guy like that, plus a go to receiver or TE would be great.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Cam Sims (or even Steve Sims) could become playmakers for us, but I wouldn’t count on it at this point.  

23 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Agreed, we absolutely need one or two other guys to help him out.  I kinda like Quinn and Harmon is an interesting guy, but I’d not expecting them to reach ‘playmaker’ status, even if they can develop into valuable pieces.  

@volsmet made a point about adding a talented hands back and how it stresses defenses, and it’s a great point IMO.  A guy like that, plus a go to receiver or TE would be great.  I wouldn’t be shocked if Cam Sims (or even Steve Sims) could become playmakers for us, but I wouldn’t count on it at this point.  

I feel as if we are targeting Richardson in the way that we should be targeting Harmon. The preseason Opi’s to Harmon showed me that he has the aggression to go after contested balls.

did you see what happened in the Vikings game? For a while our defensive line was outplaying the Vikings offense. The Vikings adjusted via rb screens and took control of the game.

i know a lot of people are counting on love and guice but I am not. Guice has shown nothing except that he is injury prone and love is a complete gamble at this point.

In a vacuum, I like both of those guys as players but you cannot count on either of them and you cannot pass up a threat at rb. If either of guice and love turn into good players, that is great, but we can still develop and use a highly dynamic rookie rb at the same time.

Tight end would be a preferred position to draft, we could get a lot of value out of a mean blocking tight end who can also find the creases, but I haven’t researched enough to see if the talent will be there like it was last year.

i like what I’ve seen from Steven sims and Quinn but I think it’ll take a more polished/efficient offense and better qb play to make them legitimate options alongside the threat that mclaurin imposes.

Agree with all of that really.  

Feel like we should/could be using the screen game a lot more than we have thus far - AP’s not bad at it, Thompson’s very good there and Sims/McLaurin (probably Quinn too) should be involved via slip screens, etc. 

Back to the draft, I think a weapon out of the backfield and/or at receiver are strong possibilities/options, but my impression is that this a a very down year for TEs.  

I can't shake the feeling we're going to be picking 5th. So many tanking teams this year and we're dumb enough to beat the Jets which practically guarantees us at least 3rd. But then we have to remember that Cincinnati has the best tank and the Falcons are blatantly tanking (seriously, they are not this bad) and have the same record as us. We could pick 5th and miss out on Burrows, Tua, Young, and Thomas or Jeudy. 

Bengals

Joe Burrow

QB, LSU

Yeah, I’ve got Joe Burrow going first overall to the Bengals — it’s just the trendy thing to do. But the more I watch Burrow, the more I’m able to convince myself that he has some NFL similarities to Jared Goff: at his best in the pocket, good but not great arm strength, a really pretty nine ball against man coverage if he triggers on it early. If Zac Taylor agrees that they fill similar molds as a passer, he’ll likely be attracted to the idea of inserting Burrow in his west coast passing attack and hopefully finding the same consistent success on offense the Rams have enjoyed with Goff under center. 

Redskins

Tristan Wirfs

OT, Iowa

Well, well, well — what a spot Washington has fallen into here! Now that the Dolphins have shown a crack in the tank with a win over the Jets, Washington is suddenly in “Hey, send me your next 12 first round picks if you want to steal Tua Tagovailoa from the Dolphins” territory. That is, if everything holds as we see it now.

As the pivot of the draft, I’d expect them to move out and grab some first rounders — it’s unfortunate that they can’t really draft Chase Young here after last year’s trade up to select Montez Sweat. That said, the conversation here is likely between a tackle of the future and a stud WR, with my winner as Tristan Wirfs. The Redskins went in early on Brandon Scherff and it has born out tremendous returns for them over the past few years; now they dip back into the Iowa factory for Trent Williams’ replacement.

Jets

Chase Young

EDGE, Ohio State

Is losing to the Miami Dolphins a good thing? No! God No! Michael Scott no, with the no of a thousand suns, a no from deep in your chest, a no from the heavens and the people of earth. Willie Taggart just took $17.7M off the Florida State Seminoles, and Adam Gase is still stealing from the Jets worse than that. Good gravy.

BUT!

With every loss there is a victory, as the Jets are one step closer to the outside pass rusher they haven’t had since *Googles* *Googles even more* *takes a break* *keeps Googling* 03-04 Shaun Ellis? Yes, the Jets are in disarray, but the best prospect in the country is coming to Gang Green in this mock, and that’s a bright future Jets fans can cling to in this cataclysmic storm.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hate that mock.

Me too.  If we skip Young, I'd go nuts. :(

https://www.pff.com/news/college-matchups-to-decide-lsu-alabama-in-week-11s-marquee-matchup

Alabama’s sticky coverage vs LSU’s talented receivers

Recently, we ranked the entire country’s receiving corps from 1-130. Coming in at No. 2 was the LSU Tigers, mainly on the backs of their talented trio at the top, Terrace Marshall Jr., Ja’Marr Chase and Justin Jefferson. Alabama, on the other side of the field, currently holds the nation’s highest-graded players lined up in the secondary, as a unit.

Trevon-Diggs-SEason-Stats.png

When lined up in any of the bucketed positions that include being in the slot, out wide or at safety, the Crimson Tide are the highest-graded coverage unit in the country. They’ve forced a completion percentage of just 54.2%, have allowed just 91 catches for 1,009 yards and on an average depth of target of 11.0, are allowing just 0.1 yards after the catch per target, the second-best mark across the nation. Led by Trevon Diggs, ‘Bama actually possesses two of the country’s highest-graded cornerbacks as Diggs ranks No. 3 and Patrick Surtain III ranks No. 4. This will certainly be the toughest duo, and overall secondary, that Heisman favorite Joe Burrow will have faced in 2019. While the Alabama secondary may have the advantage in overall grades from a slew of players, they’ll certainly be tested when it comes to the Tigers on the other side of them in this matchup.

Doesn’t matter which way you slice it, these two quarterbacks are certainly the top in the country and the stage is set for perhaps the best quarterback battle in the regular season in some time.

Tua-vs-Joe.png

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We need a dynamic playmaking game changer. I don't want another freaking offensive lineman, you can get servicable ones later in the draft.

Agreed.  We also need to look at our division for clues on what position would give us the greatest impact draft-wise.  This isn't a situation where we need to draft a Trent Williams to block against Demarcus Ware, Justin Tuck, JPP, and a younger Brandon Graham.  No team in our division has a dynamic, game-changing EDGE player other than the Cowboys with DLaw, and he lines up against the RT.  Not drafting an exceptional talent like Young in order to reach for NEED at LT is bad enough, but it's even worse when you consider the need probably isn't as high as it appears on the surface level. 

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Agreed.  We also need to look at our division for clues on what position would give us the greatest impact draft-wise.  This isn't a situation where we need to draft a Trent Williams to block against Demarcus Ware, Justin Tuck, JPP, and a younger Brandon Graham.  No team in our division has a dynamic, game-changing EDGE player other than the Cowboys with DLaw, and he lines up against the RT.  Not drafting an exceptional talent like Young in order to reach for NEED at LT is bad enough, but it's even worse when you consider the need probably isn't as high as it appears on the surface level. 

Yep and my hope is that a talent like Young would do for us what Bosa did for the 9ers. They stacked DL in the 1st round too but it hasn't started shining till this year because they lacked real game changing edge rushers.

Imagine a front 7 of Ion, Allen, and Payne at DL with Sweat and Young at OLB and Holcomb at ILB. Just get one more ILB and we'd be pretty damn set up there. Of course we'd need a D-Coord that can coach them up, but that's another story entirely....

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep and my hope is that a talent like Young would do for us what Bosa did for the 9ers. They stacked DL in the 1st round too but it hasn't started shining till this year because they lacked real game changing edge rushers.

Imagine a front 7 of Ion, Allen, and Payne at DL with Sweat and Young at OLB and Holcomb at ILB. Just get one more ILB and we'd be pretty damn set up there. Of course we'd need a D-Coord that can coach them up, but that's another story entirely....

Looks like we need to add maybe 2 corners.  Some who cover the team have said they hear the coaching staff isn't in love with Moreau.  Judging by his PFF scores I can see why.  

Fuller is potentially a FA ironically.  Wonder if they'd chase him. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Looks like we need to add maybe 2 corners.  Some who cover the team have said they hear the coaching staff isn't in love with Moreau.  Judging by his PFF scores I can see why. 

Norman is toast, he's lost a step, changed his playing style, and just nothing is working for him.

I want to see Moreau as an outside CB instead of the Nickel.  When in Nickel he looks unsure and slow to react to moves by Slot guys.  I think having a sideline as the "extra defender" will help Moreau and let him play faster.  Now that's just my kneejerk analysis, I haven't gone back to watch anything on him or read anything, so I could be wildly offbase with why he's struggling.

We're 1-8, I think we should just cut Norman and see what we have with the rest of our roster at CB.  He's not the future, we know this.  He's not going to be around in 2020, we tried to trade him at the deadline as well.  Having him continue to play doesn't do anything.  That said, Norman isn't the only issue with our defense, but he's constantly out of position.  Both ILB's are sometimes reading/reacting to the wrong things.  They can get tunnel vision on a guy moving across the formation pre-snap, or a shallow crosser post-snap and then miss what the OL is doing.  Which is often moving in the opposite direction for an outside run or a screen pass.

I haven't scouted any CB's yet, but I could get behind drafting one.  It's certainly, as of right now, a need.  Who knows if we see what Moreau can do on the outside.

3 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Norman is toast, he's lost a step, changed his playing style, and just nothing is working for him.

I want to see Moreau as an outside CB instead of the Nickel.  When in Nickel he looks unsure and slow to react to moves by Slot guys.  I think having a sideline as the "extra defender" will help Moreau and let him play faster.  Now that's just my kneejerk analysis, I haven't gone back to watch anything on him or read anything, so I could be wildly offbase with why he's struggling.

I haven't really studied him but I know he's played outside some too -- and guys like Keim and hoffman have said he's played poorly in both positions.  Hoffman said they think he's been worse than Norman. 

Archived