Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

@OVCChairman precisely. If we drafted Moss instead of Hudson in the 5th round my immediate reaction to our draft would have been "Slam Dunk" ...

I went into the draft really wanting Charles and Moss from LSU. I like AGG and did going into the draft, but I wasn't as high on him as I was on some of the other WRs I was hoping we'd target at #66. I am not going to complain about our draft at all. I think we added multiple potential starters. For me, Young + Charles + Moss was exactly what I had scripted for the 3 positions of need (Not so much Edge, but LT and TE). I maybe would have preferred to get a better WR2 at 66 over a gadget RB, but at that point I am just looking for things to complain about.

I wanted to double-dip on OL and WR. In a sense, we did that. Though I mocked Gibson to use in the 4th or 5th round, I had us adding a more "premier" WR earlier in the draft in most of them. But I will take the Gibson + Gandy-Golden combo. And Charles+Ismael could be a good one as well.

Gibson was a reach, in my opinion. But a good, strategic reach to make. 

Charles is excellent value.

Moss is top notch value. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Moss was our starting tight end this year if he's healthy.

Gandy Golden I was okay with.

All in all I liked the draft.

I am very worried about the LB position, but each time I would have went LB they went a pick or two before us. 

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Moss is top notch value. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Moss was our starting tight end this year if he's healthy.

I am very worried about the LB position, but each time I would have went LB they went a pick or two before us. 

I think Gibson will turn out to be our best pick.  You can hold me accountable for that statement.  I agree with you on LB’s.  I think it will be our weakness.  But I’m hoping strategy from someone like Del Rio will alleviate that.

24 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree with most all of this, though I am extremely high on the potential for Gibson to be a big time playmaker if Scott Turner uses him the way I envision he will. Explosive, physical, big play threat in space, who has very low mileage on his tires and tons of room to grow. I'm probably more excited about him than any player outside of Young and McLaurin that we have drafted in the past 3-4 drafts. Totally agree on Charles, AGG and Moss, and I also think Ismael and Hudson find a way to contribute, and possibly become "starters"  (at C and as a nickel backer respectively) by 2021. All-in-all I really liked this draft despite the way that lacking a 2nd rounder, and Bruce's botching of the Trent situation really hamstrung us.

I also share your concerns about the LB unit, but slightly elevate CB to a higher unit of critical need. I think we are an injury to either Fuller or Moreau (who is often injured) away from having the equivalent of the Eagles defensive backfield from last year, which as we saw can completely negate the abilities of even the best front 7s. I'm really worried about this group of CBs. Next year's draft should be BPA as always, with need weighted in, but I've got to believe next draft and FA are looking long and hard at CB, LB, OL upgrades.

54 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I guess I'm just not as worried about our LBs as others are.

Rueben Foster, Jon Bostic ... two former top 2 round picks with pedigree who, under the right coaching could really excel.

Shaun-Dion Hamilton, Cole Holcomb are two young LBs with upside.

Thomas Davis is a veteran who can still play.

Those 5 LBs provide enough for me not to be too concerned, tbh.

For the record, me saying Gibson was a reach doesn’t mean I don’t see how his game could be absolutely phenomenal for us. It’s just me saying I think they could have traded back a little and gotten him. 

My internal dialogue says they probably tried, failed, and just took their guy. Which I am fine with.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

For the record, me saying Gibson was a reach doesn’t mean I don’t see how his game could be absolutely phenomenal for us. It’s just me saying I think they could have traded back a little and gotten him. 

My internal dialogue says they probably tried, failed, and just took their guy. Which I am fine with.

I should have made it more clear, that Gibson will be our best pick on offense.  Chase will be our best overall pick.

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I should have made it more clear, that Gibson will be our best pick on offense.  Chase will be our best overall pick.

I think the OC will be our best pick on offense and likely have the greater contribution during the Rivera era.

16 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Rueben Foster, Jon Bostic ... two former top 2 round picks with pedigree who, under the right coaching could really excel.

JDR said he really likes our current crop of 8-9 LBs on the roster. I think in reality we we find the group to be serviceable at best.

Well be looking for a stub LB to enhance to group in 2021 in my opinion.

Just now, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Rueben Foster, Jon Bostic ... two former 1st round picks with pedigree who, under the right coaching, could really excel.

A guy that I'm kind of high on, that isn't mentioned above is Kevin Pierre-Louis. How many of y'all studied this guy's games against Dallas and the Vikings last year when he played in relief for Roquan Smith? I thought he did a great job in those 2 games and really the last 4 games of the year. I know it's a small sample size but PFF gave him a 90.5 rating off those games. He's one of my candidates for having a break-out year. 

Help. I literally can't stop thinking about the alternate reality where we had another 1st+ to spend in this stacked draft because we dealt Trent last year at the deadline. About to start a Madden franchise in this universe and live in it till September. 

34 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Help. I literally can't stop thinking about the alternate reality where we had another 1st+ to spend in this stacked draft because we dealt Trent last year at the deadline. About to start a Madden franchise in this universe and live in it till September. 

It's really unbelievable to think about. It would have a been a great pick, too. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

KPL is an upgrade. Not sure about anyone else. 

Time will tell.

Reuben able to play is a significant help.

I like how you put the comment about reaching for AG. It was an obvious reach, sure, but one that really opens up the creativity of the offense for Turner. Totally agree.

I like our LB corps honestly. I don't think Foster plays before Smith starts at QB fwiw, so I don't even think about him, but Davis will absolutely be the leader. Guys looked lost so often last year presnap it was infuriating. Between Collins, Davis and Allen, I think we actually have some great leaders on the Defense now.

16 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

To put your mind at ease, if we make that trade, most-likely Bruce Allen scapegoats Gruden/Callahan/Mansucky/et al. and weasels his way into staying. Which means Rivera probably isn't here, JDR most likely isn't. Kyle Smith would be the next man out the door....

My vote for best pick on offense is Saahdiq Charles.  It could end up being Gibson giving his elite athleticism.  But Charles's high points were the most impressive film of the offensive players that I saw.  I've read that he had some bad film too, and I didn't watch that so I can't say for myself.  But his good film is really good.  I saw Duane Brown type upside with Charles, and that's an All-Pro player if he reaches that level.

If he takes advantages of his gifts and realizes his potential, we'll be thankful that he got in so much trouble at LSU, because he'll be an absolutely steal.  We could see a situation where Josh Jones doesn't really pan out because, in part, he has a reputation for being uncoachable, while the light bulb comes on for Saahdiq Charles and he becomes a good Pro.

To me, Charles panning out is the key for our draft class going from nice to epic.

8 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

My vote for best pick on offense is Saahdiq Charles.  It could end up being Gibson giving his elite athleticism.  But Charles's high points were the most impressive film of the offensive players that I saw.  I've read that he had some bad film too, and I didn't watch that so I can't say for myself.  But his good film is really good.  I saw Duane Brown type upside with Charles, and that's an All-Pro player if he reaches that level.

If he takes advantages of his gifts and realizes his potential, we'll be thankful that he got in so much trouble at LSU, because he'll be an absolutely steal.  We could see a situation where Josh Jones doesn't really pan out because, in part, he has a reputation for being uncoachable, while the light bulb comes on for Saahdiq Charles and he becomes a good Pro.

To me, Charles panning out is the key for our draft class going from nice to epic.

I agree with this 1,000,000 percent. And I'll go a step farther. I think Charles is almost a shoe in to be our starting LT next season and I bet he looks good. I think he eventually has pro-bowl potential. 

It doesn't look like we are too anxious to sign anyone at LT. We could have already resigned Penn or Peters. I think we are going to let Geron and Saahdiq battle it out for the LT spot and Moses and Lucas for the RT spot. I honestly don't see Geron beating out Saahdiq. Burrow saw very little pressure at LSU and Charles was a huge part of that. He's not enormously tall or long, but he's got great athletic tools and the attitude to perform against elite competition. 

If Chase Young is the all pro that everyone expects him to be, and Charles develops into a solid LT, this draft is a success. 

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/04/10/scouting-breakdown-the-11-best-offensive-tackles-in-the-nfl-draft/11/

“I am a fast-twitch player,” Charles said of himself at the scouting combine. “I can play out in space. Physical. I can finish.”

Terron Armstead, Trent Williams,” he said, when asked which tackles he models himself after.”Both of them are fast-twitch players. Not on the taller side of the bunch, but they get the job done, just like I [try to].”

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Charles seems immature and arrogant and has attitude issues and short arms. He'll be lucky to be a solid LG.

A solid LG in the 4th also wouldn't be so bad. I don't have any problem with arrogance as long as someone will work. 

Also, I like Antonio Gibson's potential better based on his athletic ability, and I would rather have Saahdiq Charles as well, but I keep thinking about how good a match Bryan Edwards would be in the Turner offense. So good on those WR screens. Duvernay probably even more so. 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, KDawg said:

Liked your post but I think Gibby will surprise and Hudson will too.  

33 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Liked your post but I think Gibby will surprise and Hudson will too.  

I don’t think Gibson is a surprise. He was a reach in terms of where the team may have been able to get him, perhaps quite a few slots lower, but that assumes a trade partner. Short of that, if he was their top guy of the next 32 you pull the trigger and don’t look back.

58 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think Gibson is a surprise. He was a reach in terms of where the team may have been able to get him, perhaps quite a few slots lower, but that assumes a trade partner.

we were tipped off pre draft by @volsmet that the team liked Gibson. But at #66, that was a surprise pick to almost everyone IMO. He’s likely a one round reach. I would image trading back from the second pick of a round is very easy if you set you price realistically. Trade back from #66, jump back up. Not impossible at all.

On 5/14/2020 at 1:20 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Charles seems immature and arrogant and has attitude issues and short arms. He'll be lucky to be a solid LG.

that’s ridiculously over the top criticism. 

On 5/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, KDawg said:

Zach Baun?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else look at how the draft fell and think that maybe we should have moved up for Denzel Mims? Mims was chosen at 59 by the Jets and we obviously took Gibson at 66. I like Gibson, but Mims has Julio Jones caliber athletic numbers, was productive in college, I believe met all of the markers in terms of breakout age and dominator score etc,  and looked good at the Senior Bowl. I know a lot of people here like AGG, but I view him as more of a 4th WR type, like Harmon. Would be really nice to have a 1A 1B type receiving corps,  like we did with DJax and Garcon. We need another outside playmaker. 

Archived