Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Yeah Burrow didn't put up the big numbers today like he has all season long but he also didn't do anything to make me feel any different about him. To his credit that's a pretty damn good Auburn defense he had to face.  I still think hes in the top 3 for quarterbacks this year.  We'll know more in two weeks. Darn shame Tua is hurt because it will be awesome watching both of the top quarterbacks going head to head. 

Alabama right now looks explosive regardless.  Granted, Arkansas isn't much of a challenge.

If we get a 2nd round pick somehow (I am presuming that will be his range in the draft), I'd like Devonta Smith.    Every game I watch he's making plays -- good hands, body control, YAC.  He's not as hyped as Ruggs and Jeudy but I think he's not far behind them.   I've made the same point multiple times before but can't help thinking the same every time I watch Alabama. 😀

“We’re going to have to start moving him around and being more creative,” co-defensive coordinator Jeff Hafley said, “because everybody knows who he is, right? So if we always line him up to the left, they can slide to him, they can chip him. If we line him up to the right, they can slide to him, put the back on him, chip him. But now if we start moving him around a little bit, we can kind of put him where we want him, and we can make them adjust.”

Of any quarterback facing Young, Fields said, “Yeah, I just feel bad for him to be honest.”

Of covering people behind Young, linebacker Justin Hilliard said, “When you’ve got a guy who gets to the quarterback in less than two seconds, the coverage is easy.”

Of the Ohio State season sack record of 14, which Young will pass with one more sack, which will happen unless the stat person tires of counting and falls asleep, Young said, “I feel like right now I can’t be worried about a sack record. I’ve just got to try to keep on trying to perfect my craft and do what I do and those other things will come.”

He’s perfecting his craft while Day calls Young both “the best I’ve been around” and “as good as I’ve been around” — and his “around” includes the NFL — and Fields calls Young “the best defensive player in the country,” and Wisconsin Coach Paul Chryst says, “He’s obviously a really, really good player.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ohio-state-routs-wisconsin-adds-to-its-early--yet-strong--case-for-spot-in-college-football-playoff/2019/10/26/46f07812-f76a-11e9-ad8b-85e2aa00b5ce_story.html

Trade Trent for a first round pick.  Stay put at #2 or 3 and pray whoever picks before us is qb desperate.  Grab Chase with our 1st pick,  then grab the next best tackle with the 2nd first round pick.  Then if we can get a second rounder somehow someway then grab the best available offensive lineman in the 2nd round and BAM, just like that we have a upgraded oline and the best defensive player coming out of college in years.

I follow Alabama pretty closely.  We drive down from Virginia once a year to Tuscaloosa and catch one of their SEC games.  The skinny on Smith is he's not as good of a route runner as Juedy but out of the three WRs he has the best hands. Its crazy to think that theres 3 potential first round receivers on that team.  I have a feeling that Smith's stock is going to skyrocket after the season.  I would love to see him paired up scary Terry

12 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Thomas is not overrated, it's just that Chase Young is like the Tom Brady of defensive ends and to skip him for a left tackle would be a epic failure.  Guys like Chase Young doesn't grow on trees

I just watched a few of his highlights and it looks like he generates tremendous speed on the edge. Does he have any other moves that the outside speed rush? 

2 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I just watched a few of his highlights and it looks like he generates tremendous speed on the edge. Does he have any other moves that the outside speed rush? 

He's coached by one of the best Defensive line coaches at the college level.  Heres what separates him from the rest. He's like 270lbs and can line up anywhere from the edge to interior.  OSU even lined him up as a blitzing linebacker a couple times. Hes a freak of nature.  His first step is perfect and so quick that its a unfair disadvantage for any offensive lineman trying to block him

Paul Chryst's passing game is an utter farce.  I don't care how good you are, no one facing competent DI competition should ever wreck a game like Chase Young did today.  Single ****ing blocking him all day even after he dominated you.  Blocking him with tight ends????

It was just butt****ingly stupid coaching.  Wisconsin won't ever win **** with that retrograde, gimmicky offense.  What a waste of line and running back talent they are.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I just listen to the smart people in here

I killed Thomas last week because he put some ugly tape out, but I want to step back from him for a second and view him in totality.  I loved him coming into the season and, even though he's frustrating, the core of what makes him special is valid.  Every offensive lineman except for the very best of the best--the warrior elite like Sewell--have off weeks.  Weeks where they don't bring the bloodlust and focus.  Even my boy Sam Cosmi from Texas who I love has put out some tape that's disappointing.  These are college kids and their performances are frequently up and down.

Guys like Sewell are blue moon type linemen.  Quentin Nelson, Maurkice Pouncey, David DeCastro... you usually only get these guys like once every couple seasons and rarely at tackle.  Not being that kind of dude doesn't mean Thomas can't become a really good and worthy top ten pick.  No, I wouldn't pick him over Young or Okudah, probably not Jeudy either, but say we pick fourth and those guys are off the board.  Then you start compromising and drafting based on potential.

Thomas is an elite athlete at the LT position whose movement skills are one percentile and his pass pro is already great.  We're talking about a tackle who can be lined up against a power five tech and recover to a blitzing slot corner.  He has truly rare body control and twitch.  Yes, he falls off his blocks and lacks the focus and nastiness of a surefire future All Pro NFL lineman, but what if an NFL coach like Bill Callahan gets his hands on him?  These are major issues of technique and focus.  What could he become under the circumstances of playing for a coach whose actually capable of reaching and developing him?  Athleticism isn't everything, but it provides a huge margin for error.  An Alex Gibbs type would have this guys taking peoples legs and heads off.

Trent put out some ****ty film his Senior year too.  He got whupped by a nobody in the BYU game and got Sam Bradford hurt.  Sometimes you have to see past the current flaws and assess the raw clay, and Thomas offers the best raw clay of any OL in this class, including better than Wirfs.  The NFL coach that unlocks his potential will end up with a high end lineman who has much, much better raw talent than any of the other OTs who've come out in the past 6 years.  Is he a no-brainer?  No.  But this isn't a super clean and strong top end for the class.  You're going to have to make some leaps of faith after the Tua/Jeudy/Young/Okudah tier.

I'm so mixed on this thread. I admit that I do nowhere near the amount of draft analysis as many others in here. I never have the scouting reports or picks of guys who I'm watching, especially this early. But what I do see every year is success stories of guys like TMac, Holcomb, last year with Leonard, previous years with guys like Kamara, Hunt, Kettle, etc and I'm almost always a fan of more picks than the single player. 

Last year I was hype about the predraft stuff with Sweat and his speed being phenomenal but has it has the impact we thought it would? not yet at least. I look at this years draft and it seems like a lot of the early pass rushers are having an impact (Bosa, Allen, Burns to name a few) so maybe that leans more in the favor of taking Young if he's there. But we are entering the draft with no 2nd rounder. And seeing how this FO operates I can see us trying to get either another second or a third so we're active that day. Maybe that comes from the (eventual) TW trade but I wouldn't rule out trading down in the first. 

The main problem with this strategy is that we've got to have a front office (and I'm talking about Kyle mostly) in place to find these gems who slip? Whats interesting is that a lot of the guys we've picked have been decent (SDH for example) but nothing spectacular or even really starting quality. But they have shown they belong in the league. That's something but I don't want to ignore the impact that a player like Bosa (or Young) can have on our defense if he becomes that talent. But who knew that Kerrigan would be a 13 sack guy and Watt would be a DPOY guy? I remember Soloman Thomas and Leonard Williams being can't miss picks and they've been good but not great pros. And who knew Demarcus Lawrence would be the pro he is? I mean he did last to the second round. 

Then there's the whole thing about playing layers out of position. Look at Flowers. He was a bust at T, now is looking like one of our best linemen at LG. I'm sure Scherff would have been the same if we kept up the thought of playing him at RT.

And then there's the issue of playng guys in general. We talk about Haskins, but we have guys like Harmon who's not getting enough playing time in my opinion. He was thought to be the best WR on the board from the second until we picked him. Aikman was practically drooling about him in the game where he had one catch. I thought he'd get more playing time when we switched to a run first team but maybe we're trying to get as much as possible from Richardson first. But it makes it hard to determine if we're doing well with the lower round picks. 

And I love looking for speed, but I also remember going for a guy Emanuel Hall, but from what I remember  he was undrafted, signed and then cut. So what do I know?

Ima beat the drum for young as ive been doing..I honestly see no player in this draft defensively that could change our defense from day one to the same magnitude as young can. This guy is a perennial all pro player, dpoy candidate type potential...yet the scary thing is manusky could ruin him and make him obsolete. 

Sweat to me was fools gold. There was times that dalvin was running to his side and got past him and it looked like sweat was just casually running to chase him. The fact daron payne chased down diggs yet sweat can barely run full speed chasing a ball carrier is worrying. Am I the only one that sees this? 

What a relief this thread is, knowledgeable humans interacting positively, enthusiastically, humbly ... everyone seems to have enjoyed the display CY put on yesterday afternoon. The guy is different than the rest of the species; as Charlie Brown would say, good grief. 

Later in the year I’m going to need some ES evaluations on Jauan Jennings, he just made a mockery of the fighting muschamp’s, he’s as “alpha” as it gets. I hate that phrase, but it makes the point. But, he’s a WR, so I’m out of my depth. 

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Diggs was a top 10 player in the draft coming into the year. 

Where He Wins (+)

When able to hit his spots, he attacks a half man to his liking. Young picks the inside or outside shoulder depending on where he has the most leverage and attacks it at full force. He shows well advanced and powerful hands, which allow him to close out and win reps after having already won with specific angles depending on the intended rush tracks. Young was often double teamed and the center of attention of schemed protections, but when he received one-on-one opportunities, he cashed in on them at all costs.

Highly educated on the nuances of hand-to-hand combat and just how he can win in this department. His hand violence and authority behind them have blossomed over his collegiate career. Loves to use a “hump” or "club and rip" move to overpower blockers after setting them up with an inside-out or outside-in stutter step to get them off-balance.

Young employs a versatile repertoire of moves that he uses at a sporadic rate that keeps blockers on their toes. A rare blend of power mixed with speed is like a stampede coming downhill at potential blockers.

He's shown to be capable of winning from a multitude of platforms and is not just an outside rusher. He has the versatility to slide down inside on late passing down situations and still experience high amounts of success. Young also has the athleticism to drop into coverage and proven to be reliable at doing so. It's not a foreign concept to him and he looks comfortable with occupying areas within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Aiyuk vs Jaylon Johnson was a fun match up.  Johnson took his lunch money.  He's been doing that to good receivers this season.  He's easily the best corner in the Pac-12 and one of the best man cover guys in the country.

AZ State has been low key fun to watch this year.  I think their QB will grow into a high end college player and Benjamin and Aiyuk are legit mid round NFL prospects.  I like Benjamin in particular.  Kind of a grinder but there is some surprising outside speed if he can squirt free to the edge.  Strong legs for a little guy, he's a tiny target for hitters.  Tough to bring down.

Chase Young with 13.5 sacks in 8 games... that's just ridiculous. He's unstoppable out there, is he the best pass rushing prospect since Garrett or is he actually better? 

We desperately need another first round pick. Anyone but Young, Burrow, or Tua would be a crime after this season. We need OL help bad though as well. I firmly believe that the QB, OL, and DL has to take priority unless a ridiculous prospect is there from another position. If we could get a 2nd first round pick somehow and snag an OL that would be ideal. 

Archived