Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

https://theathletic.com/1309775/2019/10/21/resetting-the-quarterback-prospect-rankings-for-the-2020-nfl-draft/

Resetting the quarterback prospect rankings for the 2020 NFL Draft

First Tier – Seasoned passing prospects ready to lead an NFL offense

1. *Tua Tagovailoa, Alabama (6-0, 219, 4.78)

2019 statline: 145/194 (74.7%), 2,166 pass yards, 27 TD, 2 INT, 2 rush TD

The No. 1 quarterback on my preseason draft board remains the top draft-eligible quarterback today. Tagovailoa’s quick processor, field vision and natural instincts are what sets him apart. He is explosive with his reads to stay a step ahead of the defense, delivering with an easy stroke and accurate placement. Tagovailoa has done a great job limiting the negative plays in 2019, taking what the defense is giving him and relying on his dynamic targets to make plays. The biggest question is durability and it is a valid concern, especially now that he is expected to miss a few weeks with a high ankle sprain. Will he be near 100% health before Alabama welcomes LSU to Tuscaloosa on Nov. 9 for the showdown between Tagovailoa and Joe Burrow? Right now, the Hawaiian native remains the favorite to be the first quarterback drafted in April.

2. Joe Burrow, LSU (6-3, 212, 4.88)

2019 statline: 173/218 (79.4%), 2,894 pass yards, 29 TD, 3 INT, 2 rush TD

At this point in the process, there is a clear top-two quarterbacks in my rankings, which is an opinion shared by many throughout the league. That’s not a surprise. The surprise is that Burrow has elevated his game to be in that top tier with Tagovailoa (AFC North scouting director: “There’s Tua, then Burrow, then a gap”). The Ohio State transfer played better down the stretch last season, but his substantial improvement in key areas as a senior is the story of the scouting world. Burrow’s ability to negotiate muddy pockets and deliver an accurate football downfield are NFL-ready skills. He has a stone-cold demeanor on the field and looks unfazed by whatever is thrown at him. Burrow’s performance in Tuscaloosa in a few weeks will carry a lot of weight with evaluators and might be an audition for QB1.

Second Tier – Toolsy quarterbacks with grandiose physical traits and sky-high potential

3. *Jordan Love, Utah State (6-3, 224, 4.68)

2019 statline: 133/223 (59.6%), 1,506 pass yards, 7 TD, 9 INT, 0 rush TD

For me, the No. 1 and 2 quarterbacks are clear. But now in the second tier, spots No. 3, 4 and 5 are tougher to discern. And although it will upset the box score scouts who marry their evaluations to production, Love’s raw talent and untapped upside are why he receives the edge over Justin Herbert and Jacob Eason in this second grouping. He is a very twitchy passer and athlete, using loose movements to create outside of structure and effortlessly deliver fastballs downfield. Love needs to fine-tune his decision-making and show better understanding of what the defense is doing, but his downfield touch and middle-of-the-field accuracy are above average. Although his statline appears unsightly, Love isn’t playing with NFL talent around him and I remain confident about his next level potential (NFC East scout: “We’ve got our guy (quarterback), but if we were in the market, Love has the best raw talent and potential of this group. Just scratching the surface.”)

4. Justin Herbert, Oregon (6-6, 240, 4.68)

2019 statline: 158/232 (68.1%), 1,882 pass yards, 21 TD, 1 INT, 0 rush TD

Not much has happened this season with Herbert to move the needle on his evaluation. If you were a believer entering the season, you likely still are. The Eugene native is producing at a better clip as a senior and is one of the main reasons Oregon is 6-1 and the favorites to win the Pac-12 conference. But if you had questions entering the season, most of those concerns remain unanswered. Herbert doesn’t consistently anticipate with his reads, leading to late decisions and mistakes. He will make a pinpoint throw over the middle followed by a tough sideline seed, but then follow it up with a few misses, either sailing or delivering a grounder. Bottom line, Herbert remains a better athlete and thrower than instinctive passer at this point in his development. Can he continue to evolve with NFL coaching? Absolutely. Herbert is an extremely impressive prospect – there just seems to be something missing.

5. *Jacob Eason, Washington (6-6, 230, 5.06)

2019 statline: 157/233 (67.4%), 1,981 pass yards, 16 TD, 3 INT, 0 rush TD

With his smaller sample size, Eason’s name will likely fluctuate the most in rankings between now and April (if he declares) as he continues to prove himself to evaluators. Although he was on the losing end of Saturday’s game vs. Oregon, he outplayed Herbert in certain categories and did a great job on downfield throws. He completed 60% of his passes that traveled at least 10 yards in the air and was perfect on throws of 20-plus yards (3-for-3 for 95 yards and one touchdown). Eason is a big-boned, strong-armed passer with the velocity that puts the ball on his targets in a blink. He has played well over the first eight games of the season, but Eason hasn’t been nearly as effective when forced from his spot. He must show improvements navigating pressure and buying second-chance throws to convince NFL teams that he is worth a high draft pick.

Third Tier – Outside-the-box, wired-right quarterbacks who will challenge evaluators

6. *Jake Fromm, Georgia (6-1, 221, 4.78)

2019 statline: 123/174 (70.7%), 1,406 pass yards, 9 TD, 3 INT, 0 rush TD

The next two quarterbacks in this third tier are both a little outside the box, but in different ways. For Fromm, he checks the first two boxes on my quarterback “must have” list: mental processing and accuracy. He eliminates things quickly, efficiently works through his reads and puts the football where only his target can make a play. However, everything else is average at best and that simply won’t be for everyone. Fromm will challenge evaluators because his mind, accuracy and intangibles translate very well to the NFL game, but is that enough? Fromm is somewhere between Drew Brees and Case Keenum on the spectrum and opinions will be split on exactly where he lands.

7. Jalen Hurts, Oklahoma (6-1, 223, 4.61)

2019 statline: 114/154 (74.0%), 2,074 pass yards, 20 TD, 3 INT, 10 rush TD

For the third straight season, Lincoln Riley’s offense has a transfer quarterback playing at a Heisman-worthy level. The Sooners can beat defenses in so many ways and Hurts has been a terrific point guard to facilitate and influence the scoreboard. He has widescreen vision to see everything happening at the line of scrimmage, the poise to react and the natural talent that forces defenses to respect both his arm and his legs. However, NFL teams must separate Hurts from the offensive system and forecast the ceiling of his unique skill set vs. NFL speed. Hurts won’t be the No. 1 overall pick like his predecessors Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray, but he is a high character player worth the gamble at some point in the top-100 picks – the question is where?

Fourth Tier – Low-ceiling, high-floor passers with NFL makeup

8. Nate Stanley, Iowa (6-4, 245, 4.89)

2019 statline: 147/236 (62.3%), 1,771 pass yards, 9 TD, 5 INT, 1 rush TD

Now in his third year as a starter, Stanley is having his best season as a senior, despite the low touchdown total. A large-framed quarterback, he is most effective on three- and five-step drops where he can make quick reads and power throws. Where he struggles is when forced to move his feet or react to a collapsing pocket, rarely creating second chances for himself once the hint of pressure presents itself. He also has a better fastball than change-up and must improve his touch. But Stanley has won several big games over his Hawkeyes’ career and owns enough workable traits that project him as an NFL backup who can step in as a starter if needed – similar in several ways to Mason Rudolph as a prospect.

9. *K.J. Costello, Stanford (6-5, 217, 4.94)

2019 statline: 53/94 (56.4%), 471 yards, 2 TD, 2 INT, 0 rush TD

Injuries have derailed what many believe to be Costello’s final collegiate season, missing four of Stanford’s seven games this season. And when he has been on the field, it hasn’t been much better with as many interceptions as touchdowns. Costello has a bad habit of staring down receivers and makes too many head-scratching decisions, but there are projectable traits that make him worthy of mid-round consideration. He is a good-sized athlete with the competitive toughness and moxie that will endear him to NFL teams. Can he return to the field soon and finish the season strong? Either way, I have no doubt that Costello will crush the interview process with his mature makeup and confident leadership.

The PFF grade with Sweat vs. Kerrigan matches what my eye sees. Sweat is getting criticized more often than Kerrigan, but has been a bit more effective. Especially considering Kerrigan is going against the RT and Sweat is going against the opposing LT. Neither are getting home anywhere near enough, and they are very similar in how they've played. But Kerrigan seems to have garnered enough good will to get him to escape the criticism. 

It could also be that I am making all of this up and no one is really criticizing Sweat and I'm losing my mind. 

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The PFF grade with Sweat vs. Kerrigan matches what my eye sees. Sweat is getting criticized more often than Kerrigan, but has been a bit more effective. Especially considering Kerrigan is going against the RT and Sweat is going against the opposing LT. Neither are getting home anywhere near enough, and they are very similar in how they've played. But Kerrigan seems to have garnered enough good will to get him to escape the criticism. 

It could also be that I am making all of this up and no one is really criticizing Sweat and I'm losing my mind. 

Sweat is getting a lot of grief because he's been fairly one dimensional in terms of his effectiveness in getting to the QB. People forget the dude has played only 7 games in his career and will get better as he gets more experience. Kerrigan has been around a long long time and hasn't really adapted.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Not likely. And we have, what, 6 days to move him?

Yeah a team would need to love what they’ve seen, but most of his value appears to be in the ability to project growth at the position. We will either resign him for far too much and he will stink, or we will watch him leave and become the greatest guard in the history of football. 

Wow, Rhodes has been atrocious. 

Thielen isn’t playing is he?

Oooooof, Bradbury, ugly. 

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranks Joe Burrow second in his updated quarterback rankings for the 2020 NFL Draft.

As you can probably guess, the only player ahead of Burrow is Alabama's Tua Tagovailoa. An afterthought coming into the 2019 season, Burrow has been absolutely sensational in 2019 with 29 touchdown passes. As Brugler notes, Burrow did play better down the stretch, but the leap in his game from last year to this is substantial. "Burrow’s ability to negotiate muddy pockets and deliver an accurate football downfield are NFL-ready skills," he writes. "He has a stone-cold demeanor on the field and looks unfazed by whatever is thrown at him." As Brugler also notes, he has a showdown with Alabama coming up on November 9. That game will be massive for the 6-foot-4, 216-pound quarterback's draft stock.

SOURCE: The Athletic
Oct 22, 2019, 4:36 PM ET
  •  

Burrow's level of play has been insane.  He is having one of those magical seasons where he is completely ahead of what the defense is thinking and totally in sync with his pass catchers.  Like Steve Young used to be like in the mid 90s. He and his playcaller are sympatico.of

They're basically running a version of the old Oregon Chip Kelly offense with a mixture of Clemson/OU offense from a couple years ago.  Plus some short game concepts that have taken advantage of their talent in the slot.  Burrow is so locked in he's not getting hit at all and never once feeling the rush.  Just moves everywhere he needs to go and gets to what ever platform he needs to be in to throw, with eyes downfield the whole time.  Zero fear.

He doesn't blow you away with arm talent but he throws a watchable ball and has exceedingly good touch on downfield throws and he has a really strong understanding of placement.

his receivers are awesome too.  Jefferson and Chase are legit.  Jefferson is good enough to sniff the first round in a normal class. In this one, he's a big time value pick by the mid second.  Chase is a first round talent.  Their OL has some NFL talent too and one of their backs looks good.

Have you seen Fromm’s last two games? He was a big reason they lost to South Carolina and then he followed that up with a 9/12 35 yard performance against KENTUCKY! That’s right, he threw for 35 yards against Kentucky. He is not worthy of a first rounder. Fields and Eason are better prospects than him. No thanks. Burrow may be the most pro ready QB. He’s running a variation of the Saints offense under Joe Brady this year. Saints fans want him to be Brees’ successor. 

2 minutes ago, BayouBrave86 said:

Have you seen Fromm’s last two games? He was a big reason they lost to South Carolina and then he followed that up with a 9/12 35 yard performance against KENTUCKY! That’s right, he threw for 35 yards against Kentucky. He is not worthy of a first rounder. Fields and Eason are better prospects than him. No thanks. Burrow may be the most pro ready QB. He’s running a variation of the Saints offense under Joe Brady this year. Saints fans want him to be the heir to Brees. 

When I’ve seen him play poorly it’s when he’s processing things slowly. I’ve been a harsh Haskins critic, but even when Fromm was being mocked #2 in the 2020 class last winter, I said I’d rather have Haskins if I needed to win a college football game on that day. I haven’t watched a lot of any of these guys yet, but if what the Brugler fellow says is correct, then I wonder what Dane feels he’s lacking. 

Ugly year for James Coley. 

Difference from Fromm and Haskins is not only playing time, but Fromm has beaten out two 5-star recruits in his time there and has done so successfully while putting the team on his back in a pro-system. Haskins did that for one year.

I'm not taking Fromm with a first rounder, but I'd sure as hell love to see him in a camp battle

Draft Isaiah Simmons & Chase Young, sign a CB to pair with Dunbar, take over the world.

Monte

Collins 

Foster                Simmons 

FA           Moreland     Young Allen/Settle Payne/Ion Sweat                 Dunbar 

Good luck, Dak.

Fromm is a guy that you take a mid round flyer on if you're a team that has decent stability at QB. One of those guys that can go either way.

He's not a guy that you take high in th edraft and pin your hopes on. 

He seems slow to process versus teams that disguise coverages. Which is something that can be improved, but it's also something that some guys just can't.

I put him in: "Intriguing, but not franchise risk".

12 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Draft Isaiah Simmons & Chase Young, sign a CB to pair with Dunbar, take over the world.

Monte

Collins 

Foster                Simmons 

FA           Moreland     Young Allen/Settle Payne/Ion Sweat                 Dunbar 

Good luck, Dak.

Is this the alignment you envision prior to the first practice of the season until Foster inevitably is injured again? :ols:

I'm gonna bang this drum all season/offseason.

If we draft top 3 - Chase Young

If we draft top 5 - Jeff Okudah

Young and Okudah are better options than Andrew Thomas for this team at it's current state. Defense needs impact players badly.

Drafting for need is always why this team's ceiling is 7-9. We need to draft IMPACT PLAYERS ffs. It's how you build contenders.

I can't get over the jump Burrow has made. I just got done watching some of his play this year and he seriously looks like Phillip Rivers out there. Call me crazy but he looks like a top 3 pick. 

1-3 looks like it could be a combination between Tua, Burrow, and Young. I think those are the best players in the draft. Id be happy with any of them. If Young wasn't so good I'd be extremely happy right now that we have a shot at a true franchise QB. Young is that good though so I'm torn. 

Archived