Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Chances of getting the 1st overall pick are suddenly looking a bit better:

Coach Brian Flores announced Ryan Fitzpatrick will start Week 7 against the Bills.

Josh Rosen has been benched after Flores stated just last week that he'd be the starter the remainder of the season. Rosen, however, was flat-out bad against the lowly Redskins at home in Week 6, going 15-of-25 for 85 scoreless yards and two picks. Fitzpatrick came on and led a pair of touchdown drives and will get the nod against one of his many former teams. He obviously isn't a fantasy option against the Bills' elite defense.

That is a weird mock by PFF. I highly doubt the dolphins don't go QB with at least 1 of their first 2 picks.

If we do somehow manage to wrangle a mid-round first for Trent, I'd rather use the #3 pick on Young and try and trade down with that mid-round pick. If Young isn't there it might be better to trade down from #3 and then scoop some players in the back half of the first. There are so many worthwhile players we can get. Press corners like Fulton, Diggs, Lenoire maybe, and to a lesser extent Hall (more off-man? plus his injury) or Simmons if we go ILB, and O-Line like Wirfs, Cosmi, Jackson, and Leatherwood. Then there are also all those wide receivers.

This draft class seems so damn deep.

I wonder who this years McClaurin is going to be? I know nothing about later round guys right now, but once things settle it'll be fun to comb through the  statistical standouts who aren't getting much shine, but who also have the intangibles to make the most out of their shot at the nfl and take that next step. Which also means watching who stands out at the senior bowl.

8 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Chances of getting the 1st overall pick are suddenly looking a bit better:

Coach Brian Flores announced Ryan Fitzpatrick will start Week 7 against the Bills.

Josh Rosen has been benched after Flores stated just last week that he'd be the starter the remainder of the season. Rosen, however, was flat-out bad against the lowly Redskins at home in Week 6, going 15-of-25 for 85 scoreless yards and two picks. Fitzpatrick came on and led a pair of touchdown drives and will get the nod against one of his many former teams. He obviously isn't a fantasy option against the Bills' elite defense.

After last weeks performance, that seems like it makes sense, but Rosen has been far better than Fitz before getting mauled last week. 

Personally, I hope Rosen sits the rest of the year, that incompetent roster & inexperienced staff is ridiculous.

Speaking with Bleacher Report's Matt Miller, an NFL scout said that Oregon senior QB Justin Herbert will "get someone fired."

"I've never understood the love with this kid," the evaluator said, later adding that Herbert "doesn't have it." An area scout echoed those concerns, telling Miller that the 6-foot-6, 233-pound senior "lacks a killer mentality." While we understand the question marks with Herbert -- he has underwhelmed at times -- it's fair to note that the physically-gifted signal-caller is in the midst of a strong season on the whole, having thrown for 1,602 yards (69.1% completions) with a 17/1 TD/INT ratio in six games. Herbert remains a very good bet to land in the first round, with upward stock mobility which could push him as high as a top-five selection should a pro squad fall in love with him during the spring evaluating process.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
Oct 16, 2019, 4:26 PM ET
  •  

Nobody is a secret to the ES draft community. Not even skinny beavers.

Bleacher Report's Matt Miller picked out Oklahoma junior LB Kenneth Murray as one of his "stock up" players this week.

Murray (6'2/234) is no longer one of the best-kept secrets in college football. While the Sooners are not known for excellent defense, Murray is a standout. Murray's speed and quick trigger all around the field make him a perfect fit for the fast-paced Big-12. Miller relayed that a scout told him that Murray is "one of the most improved players (in my area)" this year. Through six games, Murray has six tackles for loss, 2.5 sacks, and two passes defended.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
Oct 16, 2019, 8:43 PM ET
  •  

I watched the Colorado--Oregon game and had a few takeaways:

- Oregon's defense is awesome when they play downhill and push the envelope of physicality.  That secondary is pretty good and they got into Shenault's head.  Lenoir might be someone to keep watching.  Thibedeaux made his presence felt.  They had a very good day and the Colorado offense absolutely melted down.  A whole bunch of their guys looked good in that one.

- Montez is a late round developmental NFL prospect.  He's got size and legs and an arm.  He sees the field through a straw and looks poor throwing on the move.  He struggled under the pressure and it was a nightmarish game for him.

- #53 Nate Landman on Colorado's defense was the only guy who looked like he belonged on the field with the Oregon offensive guys.  I can't imagine he'd go pro this year, but he's one to watch for next year.

- Disappointed in Shenault's game again.  He had a minimal impact and he lost his composure.  Montez really struggled to get the ball to him downfield.  I've watched Colorado three times this season for him, and he hasn't done anything in any of them.  Disappointing season from him so far.

- Herbert did not look very good.  He gets the ball outside the hashes quick on screens and short throws but he just misses so many throws.  It's bizarre because the guy is playing with a permanent five yard halo no matter where he moves.  He has zero concerns about pressure.  His run game was humming and the defense had him in short fields the whole game.  He should have been dominant in this game.  But he struggled to put the ball on the money and he didn't really make plays and wasn't productive or sharp.

- I saw the play where Breeland got injured but I couldn't really tell what happened.  Looked routine and there wasn't a hard contact but he just collapsed at the end of it and you could tell it was something serious.  I think he might have had a bad plant.  It's unfortunate because he was having a nice game.  That play where he got hurt was a typical one where he slipped into a seam and was wide open downfield by like 10 yards.

- The entire Oregon OL was totally dominant and they're the ones who made the game so lopsided.  Just a massive surge on almost every run between the tackles.  Second level and down field blocks creating runways to the hashes.  A perfect pocket on passes from snap to whistle.  These guys are even better than the Oklahoma guys from last year.  Sewell had a special game.  He came off as a nervous kid in his post game interview, but I think he's head and shoulders the best offensive lineman in the country this season, and he looks like one of the most gifted LT prospects I've ever seen.  The run blocking talent is just unreal.  Multiple guys hard blocked on left side runs with routine frequency.  Fearsome move blocking.  Overpowering at the PoA.  And nobody can beat him in the pass game either.  He and Lemieux are a force of nature together.  I thought Throckmorton had a very nice game too.  They had a lot of success running right and even though he suffers a little bit in comparison to the left side guys, he's a really clean player in his own right.  If he stays healthy, he's going to make it somewhere in the NFL.

When we trade Trent, I want the return to include a 2021 first.  To the point where I'd rather get a 21 first than a 20.  I want to be in position to go up and get Sewell.  I would even consider trading down this year into like the teens in order to add a 21 first.

A 20 2nd and 21 1st for Trent gets me to pull the trigger for sure.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

When we trade Trent, I want the return to include a 2021 first.  To the point where I'd rather get a 21 first than a 20.  I want to be in position to go up and get Sewell.  I would even consider trading down this year into like the teens in order to add a 21 first.

Future #1s while others overpay for today’s, it’s a glorious plan. Patience is rewarded in this game, the fact that few GMs have the luxury should be something used against them constantly.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

For the umpteenth time we ain't getting **** for Trent. Only possibility of getting anything for him is if he shows up for the last 6 games for this and next year and we possibly get a comp in 2021.  Allen will not trade him.

Quick thoughts on the Utah vs Oregon State game, probably have more later:

- Zack Moss only played for a bit, but he looked really really good.  I think he might have re-aggravated his shoulder injury on that huge TD run because he delivered a really powerful blow with it before he bounced it outside.  Kind of had a funny gait on that run too.  You have to worry about his durability a little bit, especially given our history of injuries at the RB position.  But man I love this kid's game.  The creativity is manifest.  The contact balance is outstanding.  The power is punishing.  The short area quickness is good and he has an ability to gear up extremely quickly that frequently catches defenders sleeping.  He is just really good at changing paces and directions and keeping you guessing and how can you not love that little spin move he uses?  Sometimes twice on the same carry.

This is a very good running back year full stop.  I'm hoping for the best with Guice and Love, but I also hope we can take advantage of this class.

- I'm a little surprised at how lowly regarded Leki Fotu is as an NFL prospect right now given his status as the best player on a very good defense.  Kind of reminds me of how people were sleeping on Terrell Edmunds on that dank 2017 Virginia Tech defense and then he up and went in the first round.  Fotu pops constantly.  He's got real instincts and motor and he's huge but can still run and make plays in pursuit.  The power is excellent.  The single block win rate is good and there is some native pass rush talent there.  No real issues anchoring against a double.  He's versatile and I think he could grow into a strong two-gapper.  He's not an explosive player, but I like him and I think he's being undervalued.  I can't think of a good reason he shouldn't be a day two pick.  I think he makes your run D better and that there is some potential to develop him into more of a rusher down the line because he's fluid and the length/power combo is overwhelming for an interior DL.

- I thought Jaylon Johnson looked world's better in this game than he did against USC.  He played like a star and he pretty much strapped up my boy Isaiah Hodgins on anything beyond about ten yards.  I really liked what he put on tape.  Arm length and ability in press and press-bail are there.  Locked in focus all game and didn't give Hodgins an inch on deep patterns.  Crowds you at the break and stays in phase without needing huge cushions or getting overly grabby.  Just kind of there underfoot on you.  I don't think there will be long speed concerns with him.  Physicality in coverage looked intimidating and his run support and on underneath catches was excellent, including an open field tackle that led to a stop on the first or second drive that got me to clap.  He looks like a traditional lock down man cover corner that can be a physical contributor in run support.  He's an alpha player.  First round worthy, second round floor.

- On the other side, this was a tough game for my boy Isaiah Hodgins.  I think he got exposed a little bit.  He is tough and fearless, but he's got kind of an understated personality and playing style and I think Johnson's extreme aggressiveness put him off.   Basically the play strength leaves a little bit to be desired as Johnson was able to give him the business through the contact window.  I think there might be some issues getting a quick release against aggressive, long armed press corners.  And even though he is so quick and fluid, the deep speed isn't elite.  He can eat all day on stuff coming back to the LoS or breaking quickly outside, but he just couldn't shake Johnson over the top and the ability to single cover Hodgins really unleashed Utah's defense and totally shut Oregon State down.  They had become shockingly dependent on Hodgins to move the ball, to the point where they default to throwing it up to him no matter the coverage.

I’ve seen Montez mocked in round 2 several times. I’ve seen him play & didn’t think I was watching an nfl prospect.

Thibadaeux was the best player in the all American game last year, he seems destined to be 3 and done, I look forward to watching him over the next couple years.

Sewell & Young are my top 2 non QBs in the country as well.

Oregon shouldn’t have lost to Auburn, I wish Herbert was the guy draft guru’s claim he is, because if he was, Oregon is a threat to everyone. I need someone new in the playoffs, I’m bored to death with Bama/Clem/OU/Osu.

32 minutes ago, volsmet said:

When Steve is rolling ...

Baseball has eaten into my football time in the evenings.  But I'm certainly not complaining.  I'm using the little break following the NLCS to catch up on some of the games from the past couple weeks via replays.

Shout out to the Pac 12 football in 60 on demand replays.  Those things are a Godsend if you're trying to get in a lot of Pac 12 games.  Gives me the ability to give their conference the attention it deserves.  If it's a free Saturday, I've marathoned so many games that I am pretty much done by the time the Pac 12 gets rolling.

35 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I’ve seen Montez mocked in round 2 several times. I’ve seen him play & didn’t think I was watching an nfl prospect.

Thibadaeux was the best player in the all American game last year, he seems destined to be 3 and done, I look forward to watching him over the next couple years.

Sewell & Young are my top 2 non QBs in the country as well.

Oregon shouldn’t have lost to Auburn, I wish Herbert was the guy draft guru’s claim he is, because if he was, Oregon is a threat to everyone. I need someone new in the playoffs, I’m bored to death with Bama/Clem/OU/Osu. 

I agree with all of this, and I get really frustrated with Montez for getting the ball to Shenault.  I get the feeling that Shenault is, not wasted per se, but not truly utilized in that offense.  Luton is no great talent at QB but he has no problems slinging it to Hodgins and taking advantage of having an NFL guy blowing past college coverages.  I think Shennault could end up being a far better Pro than college player, sort of how DeAndre Hopkins has been.  The competitive fire and intensity are outstanding, and I can't wait to see him go against Jaylon Johnson at the end of the season.  Hopefully they're both still healthy for that match up.

I'm with you on getting bored with the Big 5 that's kind of had a lock on the CFP the last three years.  They're all worthy most years, but I've been rooting for spoilers like Michigan and Penn State and Texas and whoever else to break things up a bit the past couple years.  CFB has gotten too blue-blooded and consolodated this decade.  The CFP selection process is too much of a beauty contest.

In my perfect world, the CFP gets expanded to 16 teams.  10-12 would be great too.  That would really shake things up IMO.  A team like Oregon has such a small path to getting in a four team tourney that it's basically nonexistent.  But if they got in to an expanded field, could they go on a December run and win it all?  Absolutely.  Same for LSU and Wisconsin and Penn State.  And Georgia, Notre Dame, and Auburn.  And Texas and perhaps Utah or USC too.

My alma mater is an FCS school that went on a championship run not too terribly long ago.  That playoff is one of the funnest experiences in college football.  To have that play out at the FBS level would be incredible.  And it'd be awesome for draftniks too because you'd get to see a ton of extra unique blue chip prospect match ups over the course of the month.

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Flacco looked like he had a Xanax smoothie before the game.

McFarland is going to be very good imo.

Speaking with Fran Duffy on the 'Journey to the Draft' podcast, Pro Football Network's Tony Pauline passed along that Maryland redshirt sophomore RB Anthony McFarland is "very likely" to declare for the NFL Draft this winter.

Pauline has spoken with a "number of people" on McFarland, so this would appear not to be just an isolated birdie chirping in his ear. The analyst has heard some sharp, sharp compliments when it comes to the 5-foot-9, 198-pound McFarland, with some viewing the redshirt sophomore as a "faster version" of Alvin Kamara, though as Pauline notes, Kamara's speed quotient comes at larger size than McFarland's. Pauline views the Maryland standout as potential "spot starter" at the pro level. At this early juncture, Day 2 represents his most likely landing zone.

Oct 18, 2019, 11:16 AM ET
  •  

Speaking with Fran Duffy on the 'Journey to the Draft' podcast, NFL Films' Greg Cosell said that Colorado junior WR Laviska Shenault plays with shades of DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins and Terrell Owens.

Cosell stressed that these general comparisons are just what he sees in Shenault's game when attempting to project him toward the NFL. No guarantee that the 6-foot-2, 220-pound junior ever enters that upper-echelon, but should he develop to his potential, he possesses, per Cosell, "the size, the physicality, the run-after-catch" that we see out of the likes of Hopkins et al. For his part, Duffy offered up a fun mixed comp for the potential Day 1 wideout -- Sammy Watkins in a Julio Jones wrapper. We dig it.

Oct 18, 2019, 2:20 PM ET
  •  

Speaking with Fran Duffy on the 'Journey to the Draft' podcast, NFL Films Greg Cosell called Alabama junior WR Jerry Jeudy "silly good."

Cosell and Duffy both see shades of OBJ in Jeudy's game, with the former noting that Jeudy is "so dynamic" in his run-after-catch abilities, notably in his "stop-start, his fluidity" and "a natural juice to his movement that you don't see very often." Cosell said that assuming that there is nothing in the 6-foot-1, 192-pounder's off-field background to scare teams off -- there's certainly nothing that we're aware of -- he could absolutely see Jeudy flying off the board as a top-five selection next spring (assuming a declaration). While Henry Ruggs and Devonta Smith have been bandied about as first-round talents this fall, Jeudy remains the best prospect in that trio. He might not be quite as fast as Ruggs (we're talking relatively speaking) but every aspect of his game exudes a brilliant refinement.

Oct 18, 2019, 1:26 PM ET
  •  

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I personally think this QB draft class is the most overrated in years. I've seen little from Fromm and Herbert and guys like Jordan Love, Kostello, Eason etc are at best Mason Rudolph lite.

I tend to agree, I haven’t watched a lot yet, but nobody jumps out but Tua. I haven’t seen any of Burrow yet; Herbert, Fromm, Eason etc are all talents that are intriguing but not QBs who look special. Matt Stafford upside, which is great on a rookie contract, but you’re going to need a lot of defense if you’re going to win a SB with a lesser Matt Stafford.... or the real one. 

Archived